Chapter 8

Heart in Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 8

 

Progress as they say is the twin of effort thus this is what Joohyun has been trying to do. She clearly was on the edge with what happened to Yumi and Yonghwa’ mother. She didn’t tell anyone but she was breaking on the inside. There’s only one way to fix all these. To calm Yonghwa’s heart, to give peace to Haneul and to heal Yumi.

So there she was sitting at that same hotel where Yumi stormed out waiting for the same woman who ruined everything for them. Yet why was she there? Because she believes that it’s not too late to fix things and make things right. If they, as a family, is willing to start all over as a whole, then everything around them needs to start as well. She doesn’t know if the older woman will agree when she called and ask if she has time but to her surprise, she did.

She checked her phone for the time and sent a quick text to Yumi to remind her of her sleep over at Haneuls. She put her phone back to her bag and that’s when she noticed a woman approaching her on her right. She look up and there was Yonghwa’s mother walking towards her. Her heart drummed. It was like 20 years ago but she shook her head quickly and took shallow breathes. No. It’s not. She wasn’t the same person as she was before. Now she’s doing this still for her family but most importantly for herself.

She stood up and bowed yet she didn’t wait for a response and sat right after.

 “Madam Jung, I will make this quick. Yonghwa and I are planning our lives together once more. I am not asking for your permission nor am I hoping for it, I just wanted you to know so you won’t be surprised. We are doing this for our children and for ourselves. I’ve let you run our lives before but not anymore. I know you still hate me and still think your son is better off with someone, but wake up Madam Jung, your eldest granddaughter who is my child, is 23, your youngest grandchild who also came from me is 20. They are no longer children and has a mind of their own, all I’m saying is that, then until now and I can bet in the future. You will still have to look and deal with me. Because then and the future, I will still choose your son and your son will choose me.”

She stood up and was ready to bid the elder farewell when

“Seo Joohyun wait”

She stopped and waited

“Please listen to me” Mrs. Jung pleaded

Joohyun sat down and looked at the lady in front of her. She was waiting for the retaliation but was caught off guard when Yonghwas mom cried openly

“I know we were wrong, I was wrong. I know that I am a bad person ruining your family but when I saw Yumi cry, I just knew I was beyond bad. I am a terribly horrible person who doesn’t deserve forgiveness. As I was protecting Haneul and Yonghwa, there I was hurting my own flesh and blood”

She saw how the woman sitting in front looked frantic, lost and truth be told, remorseful. She wasn’t the same uptight woman who has fire in her eyes years ago. Gone was the dragon lady as what people call her, she’s now just a grandmother and a mother.

“You didn’t know” that was the only comforting words she can offer

“But if I only tried to understand my son”

“Yes, but it’s all over now Mrs. Jung, words have been spoken, actions had been taken, hearts were already broken”

“Will you ever find it in your heart to forgive me Joohyun?”

Ah. This is what she was not expecting.

“Madam, I am only a mother myself and believe it or not I understand why you did what you did but I think you should be asking yourself that question instead, “Have you already forgiven Seo Joohyun, for taking your son and your dreams for him?” because madam, I saw how viscous your anger towards me when we were at Yonghwa’s house, if by any chance there was no Yumi, you think you can accept me? You think you can sit infront of me now and ask for my forgiveness? Because that is the exact reason I’m here. I have forgiven you a long time ago and perhaps all I’m asking from all this is that you let us be. If you still have some bones to pick with me, I’m sorry but I’m done with you because I just want my life back and I just want the people I love be happy”

She stood once more and bowed leaving Mrs. Jung crying her heart out.

Joohyun felt something was lifted off her chest because it’s true, unconsciously Mrs. Jung became her biggest fear, her reason of not returning home sooner but now that she’s faced her and given her a piece of her mind, she felt happy. She looked at her watch and saw it’s almost lunch time, she smiled as she knew exactly who she wants to celebrate her happiness with.

 

 

“…………”

Joohyun scrunched her nose, the security personnel was just looking at her so she repeated her request “Is Mr. Jung Yonghwa in? Please tell him it’s his wife”

Surprise was an understatement as he has been working for the Jungs for the past 10 years and no wife whatsoever , whensoever had appeared before him, a daughter yes but not a wife

“It’s okay if he’s not there, I’ll just come back”

“He’s here” he stuttered “I’m sorry, please come with me”

The man led Joohyun to the elevator and accompanied her to Yonghwa’s secretary.

“Suzy I’m leaving Mrs. Jung with you, please tell Sajangnim she’s here”

Joohyun thank the security and looked at Suzy

“Samonim please follow me” she bowed low and went to the direction where the CEO’s office is. There was initial surprise but not shocked simply because she didn’t think she will ever get to see the Samonim in the flesh. Ever since she started working for the academy, she saw pictures of her boss with his daughter on top of his desk, new pictures were added of him and his daughter but not of his wife. One day when her boss asked her to look for a certain file he left, she accidentally found a secret compartment in her boss’ pedestal. She though she can find the file there but what she found is an old photo of her Sajangnim with his wife and then baby Haneul. It was the only time she saw it, because that’s when she realize that the lower part of the pedestal was always lock and only her boss has the key. Office-wide, no one has spoken about it so they concluded that maybe the wife has died a long time ago, there was not a sign of her anywhere in the lives of the father and daughter duo but now here she is, smiling at her and is real. She feels something will change and it’s for the better. She knocked and opened the door, her boss who was partly sitting on his desk, his dress shirt sleeves rolled up to his elbow, his eye glass perched on his nose as he angles for more sunlight from the window as he reads a report. He looked up just in time for Suzy to speak

“Sajangnim, Samonim is here”

She bowed at the two and left quickly.

Joohyun chuckled.

Samonim.

In a matter of seconds she became Samonim.

“Oh Joohyun!” Yonghwa beamed as he welcomed her with open arms

Joohyun went to him and gladly bask in his warmth “Hi oppa, I was wondering if you want to eat lunch with me, I was in the area”

They sat on the sofa facing each other

“Of course, what do you have in mind?”

“Hmmm I don’t know, are you busy? We can just have lunch here, whatever you guys have in your pantry”

“No, nothing is urgent these days so whatever you like just tell me”

“Are you sure?” she looked at him

“Yeah”

“Are you really sure?”

Yonghwa laughed “Seo Joohyun what’s up with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter