Friends Again? (Alternate Ending 1/2)

Old Friends (ONESHOT)

 

 

After a couple weeks passed by, I got a call from an unknown number. I picked it up, only to find out it was Jaehyun.

“Hey.” he said. I sighed. At this point, I was tired of seeing him. NCT became more and more popular, so I heard and saw him on a daily basis whether it was through family or friends gushing over how “cute” he was. Anything that had to do with him irritated me. I couldn’t stand him anymore. So when he casually greeted me, I was furious. He acted as if he had done nothing wrong, as if he hadn’t ignored and blocked me for the past couple months. You can imagine how I felt everytime my family cheered for him while watching shows or performances.

“What do you want, Jay?” I said, annoyed. “Finally tired of ignoring me, huh?” The venomous that dropped from my lips seemed to have shocked him, but I was too angry to care. “Haven’t you done enough? I’m tired of this. You don’t answer my questions, you keep ignoring me, and now you want to talk? What. Do. You. Want?” I was a verge of yelling at him. For a moment, there was silence. I sighed again. “If you’re not going to say anything, I’m hanging up.”

“I’m sorry.” he sounded genuine. I noticed in that moment how tense I was. My heartbeat was racing from the anger, as well. I stayed quiet, using the silence to urge him to go on. “I read the letter your mom left in the bag.” Wait, what? I was confused. What letter was he talking about? I saw her pack a bunch of snacks only.

“What are you talking about? Didn’t she pack only snacks? Besides, what does this even have to do with me?” Before long, I was too busy wondering about it to be angry anymore.

“Oh.” was all I could say. I stayed silent again.

“Do you really want to know why I got angry?” he asked. I could hear a deep inhale from his side. I thought about it. I was ready to hang up on him, but I froze after hearing the words I’ve been waiting to hear. I closed my mouth. Using my silence as a response, Jaehyun continued on.

 

“To Y/N’s best friend,

Jaehyunnie, have you been eating well? Congratulations on your debut, everyone here is very proud of you! We stay updated on your schedules and cheer you on while watching you on T.V. I can’t believe how mature you have gotten, we keep forgetting you’re not a kid anymore!  All of us miss you dearly, but we’ll come to your concerts for sure! Thank you for being such a kind and good friend to Y/N. It would be nice if you’d call her once in awhile, though. Don’t forget your other family!

 

With Love, Y/N’s Mom”

 

So she knew. I felt my cheeks turning red from humiliation. She wasn’t even supposed to know I was crying over it. The nights after that day were spent wasting my time over who I thought was a good friend. This didn’t change anything. It only made me realize how observant and thoughtful she was. Soon enough, I became frustrated again.  

“Yeah, and? So what?” I spat out. “You’re just gonna call me for a couple brownie points from my mom? What you did was pretty messed up. You never gave me an explanation after all this time. Did you really think that a sorry just as sudden as when you exploded on me would make everything better? I’m hanging up.”

“That’s why I’m coming to you.” he said before I ended the call.

 

What? Seconds later, I hear a couple knocks on my door.