Chapter 3

The Second One

Bora politely bowed at a relative, but lost balance as her heel broke under her shoes. However, before she could fall, someone caught her protectively in their arms and she didn't need to look up to know who it was.

"Take care, will you?" Sunggyu smiled down at her, and she replied the favor, standing properly on her feet. "Let's go home, I'm tired."

It was Sunggyu's mother's funeral and they had had a long, exhausting day.

She nodded at him, and the couple got ready to leave.

"Hyung, noona," Hoya's voice made them stop from leaving the hall and both of them turned around.

"Uh, hyung! Can I borrow Bora noona for a minute? I have to talk to her," Hoya said.

"Now what do I say, Howon?" Sunggyu inquired rhetorically. "After what you kissed her last time, I don't even want her to look at you anymore."

Bora's head snapped in Sunggyu's direction, and Hoya raised an eyebrow in amusement.

Bora was shocked to her bones, even more so when Sunggyu looked at her eyes lovingly and softly pinched her cheeks, "What? You didn't think I'd miss your little show, did you?"

.
.
.

Bora stopped massaging her aching head as the sound of glass shattering startled her. She turned around, only to find Sunggyu's coffee spilled and the mug broken at his feet.

"What happened?" She asked.

"It was too sweet, I hated it," Sunggyu shrugged.

"A-alright, but why did you smash it like that? You could've just told me."

"I told you I hated it!" Sunggyu said through his teeth.

Bora glared at him, obviously irritated. Ever since his mother had died, Sunggyu was acting weirdly. Sure he didn't cry like others, but he was being aggressive and more blunt and straightforward than usual. It made her wonder if the death had affected him worse than all of them thought.

But all of it was fine only if he was thinking straight. His decisions were taken irrationally and he had chosen to ignore everything around him.

"Sunggyu," Bora sighed. "You're not thinking straight, are you?"

Sunggyu stopped fiddling with his necktie and glanced at Bora with an unknown look in his eyes. He walked closer to her, grabbing her forearm. He hissed, "Am I not? Teach me how people think straight, Bora."

"What... What's wrong?" She whimpered in pain as his grip on her forearm got tighter.

"Duh," Sunggyu scoffed, pulling her close to him by the arm. "Teach me how to think straight when Hoya is the one spending time with you day and night in the name of work, and not me? Teach me how to think straight when I see you flirting with each other everytime I open the TV while we are a secret to the nation? Teach me how to think straight when you ing let him kiss you in the dead of the night when you were supposed to be my side, comforting me?"

"You know, Gyu, I don't want to-"

"Sometimes," Sunggyu said, his eyes boring into hers. "Sometimes I think you confuse the me on and off camera. Sometimes I think you forget that I'm not just your best friend like the KPOP industry says. Sometmes I think you forget..." Sunggyu trailed off, taking Bora's free hand with his and the ring cosily sitting on her ring finger. "Sometimes I think you forget that I am your goddamn fiancé."

Bora let tears tickle her eyes as she let out an exasperated sigh. She forced herself to say something, anything, but she couldn't. Sunggyu wasn't exactly wrong. Bora and Hoya were collaborating for an album and were seen together almost everywhere due to work. This step had gained many new fans for INFINITE and SISTAR, as well as fans shipping Bora and Hoya.

While everyone chose to believe in their lie that they were best friends, Bora and Sunggyu were engaged in all actuality.

She tore her arm out of Sunggyu's grip and cupped his cheeks with both hands, mumbling reassuringly, "Look, I dont know what has gotten into you, but you know I love you. You know I love you more than anything and anyone else in this entire world and nothing can change that. I don't know how this second one got into our everlasting love story, but stay assured that I'm only yours."

Sunggyu's hard gaze softened as he stared at her with guilty eyes. Fresh tears ran down her cheeks, and he hated to be the reason why she cried. He wiped away her tears away and muttured, "I know... I know. That's exactly what I wanted to hear."

.
.
.

"You look bothered, Bora eonnie," Bora opened her eyes to find Dasom staring down at her with those curios and round pair of eyes of hers.

"Yeah, like what's wrong? You aren't the type to sit still like that while we are out partying!" Soyou chimed in with a cocktail in hand.

"Nothing, just tired," Bora replied and looked down at her phone. The girls were silent for minutes and as soon as she looked up, she was startled to have three pairs of eyes staring intently at her.

"Yah, what's up with you?" Hyorin inquired.

Bora sighed, "I never wanted to be caught in a love triangle."

.
.
.

Hoya looked into the mirror and danced to the one melody that's been playing in his mind since days. Bora's melody, the one she created by simply moving her fingers on the piano keys. The melody mesmerized him, as if he had to make something out of it. And he was unsure of the reason. Was it because the melody was pleasant to the ears, or was it simply because Bora had made it?

"Oi, Hoya!"

Hoya looked up, only to greet Sungyeol with a bored look.

"I can't believe you have any business with me," Hoya said.

Sungyeol grinned, but his smile soon faltered.

"Actually, I was curios about something," Sungyeol said, sitting beside Hoya on the couch.

Hoya tilted his head, as if asking 'what?'.

"I... kind of happened to eavesdrop on your conversation with Gyu hyung and Bora noona this morning at the funeral."

Hoya sat straight, sighing at nothing in particular.

"And I can't help but think you're wrong to meddle in their relationship. You know, they are like, made for each other."

"I respect Gyu hyung, Yeol," Hoya said. "But just this once, I want to be bad to him and want Bora for me."

"That's exactly why I'm worried. We don't want people fighting for a girl here. We are INFINITE, remember? "

Hoya kept silent, unwilling to drag this conversation any further.

"You're the second guy in this relationship, Hoya. You are the one who needs to back out."

"Bora and I..." Hoya smirked. "We share a past, Sungyeol. And that makes him the second guy."