I'm not like you, grandpa

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Eun’s diary

Day 2 without Soondeok. I miss her so. I hope she’s fine, oh please be fine! I can’t sleep at night, I can’t even breathe easily now because I worry about her so much! I should’ve sent someone with her, I should’ve, but she kept saying how it’ll slow her down and that she could trust no one but me. Oh please come back quick, my Deok ah.

On the bright side, the lady is conscious now and I moved her to my secret library, just in case someone comes in to search for her. She can’t talk much yet but she’s gaining strength bit by bit. I hope she can be well enough to walk by the time Soondeok comes back. Is she really a spy working for father-in-law? I really doubted that, but since my wife thinks so, I suppose I can only believe in her, she’s the expert here after all.

I’ve been practising archery the entire day, try to get my minds off of a few things. I should go to the library and check on the old lady before going to sleep. Life’s so dull without her, is like everything’s black and white.

--------------------------------------

(Eun leaving the library silently, only to find that his grandfather is coming in the front gate)

‘Wangeun. What were you doing in there?’

‘Grandpa! I…I was…ummm…reading.’

‘You? Reading? You expect me to believe you?’

‘You don’t need to know, grandpa. Why are you here?’

‘Why can’t I be here? It’s my place, don’t forget, I own this place, Eun ah.’

‘Yes well, please go in, it’s cold out here. Good night.’

(Eun rushes back into his bedroom, not wanting to spend a second longer outside with his grandfather. Only then did he realize that he’s super tired from all the shooting he’s done that day so he collapses right onto the bed in silence, longing for the touch of his wife, longing for her presence…Eun gets into the bed, only to realize that it’s warm.)

‘Hm? Gosh, I must be cold…to think that this bed is this warm…’

(Eun’s hand suddenly touches another hand, which gave him a heart attack, causing him to fly out of his bed.)

‘What? What- what was that?!’

(Eun inches forward to have a good look at uninvited visitor – he lights up another candle just to make sure. He pulls the blanket down and sure enough, there was a girl – motionless.)

‘Y…ya! Hey you! Get out of my bed!’

(No response)

‘I…I mean it! Get out of my bed!’

(Eun goes up to shake her awake, only to find that she was wearing nothing.)

‘Gosh!’

(Eun quickly shuts his eyes and turn away, then slowly, ever so slowly, he pulls the blanket up again to cover her up.)

‘Aish…who in the world put her here?’

(He tries patting her on her shoulder)

‘Miss…um…miss? Are you alright? Can you open your eyes?’

(Eventually, that girl opens her eyes and sees Eun – she’s young, very young, probably a few years younger than Soondeok. She was shocked and sat up immediately – shocked even more to find herself stripped entirely. She was shivering as she pulls the blanket up to cover herself.)

‘Hey you…who are you? What are you doing in my bed?’

‘I…I…’

‘How did you get here?’

(The girl starts to tear up)

‘I…I…I don’t know…I…I was at my house but then…Where…where’s this place?’

‘You really don’t know?’

‘Who…who are you, sir?’

(Eun scratches his head hard as he tries to figure out what’s going on, then he stands up)

‘You stay here, I’ll grab you something to put on.’

(Eun goes into the closet and finds a dress for her, perhaps a bit too big a size for the girl, but that should do.)

‘Here, put this on. I’ll turn around.’

-------------------------------

‘Feeling better now?’

‘Yes sir. Thank you for the food.’

‘Poor thing…what’s your name?’

(The girl keeps her head down)

‘I don’t…don’t have one. Mother never gave me one. She just calls me “Ya” or “daughter”…’

‘I’ll call you Mi-ah for now, how’s that?’

‘Mi-ah?’

‘I’ll think of a better name some other time. Now tell me, where do you live?’

‘Mother moves around all the time with me and my younger brother. We don’t live anywhere.’

(Eun scratches his head even more.)

‘Um…okay, what about…what do you remember? You know, before you ended up here?’

‘I was doing some shopping for mother earlier today, then when I returned home, mother was seeing someone off…a couple of men, perhaps they offered her a job, it happens all the time. It has passed lunchtime and mother have already eaten it with my brother so I thought they didn’t leave any food for me. But then mother came into the room with tonnes of food, saying it’s for me. She also combed my hair for me while I was eating, it’s the first time she did that…I finished eating then I felt a bit sleepy so I…so I…’

(Eun thinks hard, at last he smiles at the girl)

‘Mi-ah, tonight you can sleep here, I’ll sleep in another room, don’t you worry. I won’t let anyone hurt you. I’ll try to find out what’s going on, okay?’

‘Sir, that’s too kind of you…you don’t have to. I can try to find my way home now.’

‘It’s too late into the night for that, you stay here tonight, we’ll see what we can do tomorrow. You need someone to stay with you for the night? I can ask a maid to do that.’

‘No thank you sir, I’m fine.’

(Eun turns to leave)

‘Sir.’

‘What is it?’

‘How…how should I call you, sir?’

‘Just call me sir will do. Don’t you worry, I’ll have things figured out tonight. Rest now, you must be tired.’

(Eun leaves the room and immediately his fake smile disappears. Grandpa reappearing was not a coincidence. Eun stomps towards his grandpa’s room, his bodyguard standing outside, greeting him as he approaches.)

‘Have you come to see the master, your highness?’

‘No.’

(Eun pulls on the bodyguard’s collar)

‘You, I’ve come to talk with you.’

‘But your highness-’

‘Shhh! Follow me.’

‘I can’t leave master-’

‘He’s drunk now with all those gisengs inside, can’t you hear him? Follow me outside.’

----------------------------------

(Eun kicks the door down and draws a sword out pointing at his grandpa)

‘Eun ah! What on earth are you doing? Can’t you see we’re having fun now?’

‘Do you really have to take things this far grandpa?!’

‘Grandson, what are you talking about?’

(Eun looks around, his eyes burning with anger)

‘Everyone here leave this room before I make my sword taste blood for the first time! NOW!’

(Everyone leaves immediately, his grandpa slowly stands up with a cup in his hand, swaying a bit from the wine)

‘Ha…Wangeun, what’s going on? Shouldn’t you go to sleep now, hm? Or, you want to have a drink with me?’

‘I’m not here for the wine.’

‘Ha. Not surprised…then leave now and go back to your room…I still have a lot to drink, the night is still long…’

(Eun smirks)

‘So I can discover that girl you’ve bought for me, in my bed? So that I can sleep with her? So that she can get pregnant? No sir, I won’t.’

(Grandpa chuckles.)

‘Ha, so I see you’ve found her…Eun ah-’

‘Really, grandpa? Must you do this to me? Do this to that poor girl? You made her mother sell her daughter for money?!’

‘That woman would’ve done the same anyway, I simply gave her a better offer, offering her daughter a better future.’

(Eun smacks his sword on the table)

‘She’s only 17! 17! Have you gone mad, grandpa?!’

(Grandpa’s eyes widened)

‘Seems like you’re not angry at me for yourself, you’re doing it because of her. Why? Did you start liking her already? Huh?’

‘GRANDPA!’

(Grandpa continues to laugh it out)

‘Funny how a man’s heart can change once they see the body of another woman!’

‘That’s not true, you know I’m not like you.’

(Grandpa walks towards Eun and pats him on the shoulder, almost whispering into his ears)

‘Men will still be men, Eun ah – aren’t you curious? You must be… Aren’t you curious how other women’s bodies look?’

(Eun speaks while gritting his teeth)

‘Not at all! Because unlike you, I don’t see them as objects, I see them as real people, someone to be cared for, not something to be admired or bought with!’

(Grandpa pokes Eun’s face)

‘Aigoo look at you, still a kid.’

‘I’ll bring her back to her mother tomorrow. I’m not asking for your permission, I’m simply telling you out of respect, the last respect I have for you as my grandpa.’

(Eun turns around to leave, his grandpa takes gulps down the wine and throws the cup at the door)

‘Eun ah, if you don’t sleep with her-’

(Eun halts)

‘Then I will.’

(Eun can hardly believe his ears. He turns around.)

‘What…what did you say?’

(Grandpa walks closer to him)

‘I bought her with my own money, don’t forget about that, therefore she literally is mine. If you won’t have her, then I don’t see why I can’t take her back.’

‘Grandpa!’

‘It’s been a while since I had my last wife, about 4…5 years? Ah…about time I get another one.’

‘GRANDPA! How can you even think about doing such a thing?’

‘Why can’t I?’

‘She’s only 17!’

‘So? Ha… Ah, I understand, it’ll be awkward calling our children as your uncle or aunty right? It’ll be hard to call that girl your grandma too, hm?’

(Eun clenches his fists, he has been trying to hold his temper in but it has gone beyond his limit. He flips the table over, everything shattered on the floor.)

‘YAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! You beast! You beast of a man! I can’t believe I have someone like you as a grandpa! In fact, I don’t! You’re no longer my grandpa now and I am no longer your grandson! Once my wife gets back, we’ll leave this damned place! And I’m taking the girl with me, I won’t let you touch even a strand of hair on her! I’ll buy her from you if money is what you’re after-’

‘You fool. You have no idea why you’re still alive to this day, do you? You have no idea what dangerous position you’re putting yourself in by not having any children, do you? Of course not, because you know nothing, NOTHING!’

(Grandpa starts yelling)

‘Why should I care? It’s grandpa who’s overthinking all the time.’

‘Oh but am I? Am I overthinking like you said? Oh Eun ah, you should start caring, because things are bound to happen. The east wind is coming.’

‘Enough with your stories, I will not listen to you – not one bit!’

‘The king won’t last long.’

(Silence)

‘What?’

‘Your brother, the king, he won’t last long. Someone else will be the king, obviously enough but who could it be? His 3-year-old son? Give me a break! It’ll be his brothers, one of the brothers you once played and grew up with. One of them will be king and frankly, I doubt the new king would be as nice as the one we have now.’

‘What are you talking about?’

‘When the new king sits on the throne, he has to tell the world that the throne is his, and that he shall tolerate no threats. How’s he going to do that? What’s a quick and easy way to do that, hm?’

(Grandpa slowly sits on a chair)

‘Frame, Eun ah, frame! Framing someone for treason then execute them! That’s how kings do it, Eun ah, to someone whom they used to call “brother” or “nephew”, and not only to one person, Eun ah, it’ll be death for the entire family.’

‘Enough with your make-up stories grandpa, my brothers would never-’

‘Who would the new king pick out of the many, if one brother’s family must be put to death?’

‘Stop-’

‘The one with the least member in the family, of course, you’re a family after all. They pick the lesser evil, the one that’ll shed the less blood. The one with least influence in politics. You fool, you think that by staying out of politics it’ll save your ? WRONG! You’re only walking to death yourself! And this time, you with your wife!’

‘ENOUGH!’

‘I’m simply telling you the truth, Eun ah! If you have kids, at least the new king might have a bit pity on you! But if you have none, you have nothing! NOTHING! You have nothing even when I’m still alive, imagine how it’ll be once I’m gone! Why I’m doing this to you, you ask, well, I’m doing what I think is right! I’m doing what I think can protect my grandson! I’m doing what I think I should do, what I MUST do! BEFORE I GO TO MY GRAVE!’

‘My brothers won’t do anything like that to me. No one will!’

‘Read any historical text yourself and you’ll know, Eun ah, that the words “brother” and “family” do not exist among the royal families.’

(Eun holds back his tears, tears of anger, tears of fear, tears of helplessness, tears of denial. Finally he replies with a shaking voice.)

‘You know what scares me more other than death? It’s you, grandpa. If you’re going to die, why can’t you just do it quickly and silently? Stop messing with my life, it’s already messy as it is! I don’t need protection, and certainly not from someone like you!’

(Eun walks out, with grandpa shouting from behind)

‘When that day comes, Eun ah, you’ll know that I was right. And that girl, I won’t change my mind about it. I give you 6 days.’

-------------------------------------

‘Mi-ah, you have to wake up!’

‘Sir, what’s wrong?’

‘I need to get you out of here!’

(But Eun was too late, because his grandpa has already assigned someone to guard the door – ‘the girl mustn’t leave the room’ was their order. If only Soondeok were here, Eun thought, perhaps she would’ve figured out something, anything! All Eun can do now is keep his distance with the girl while praying for the return of his dear wife.)