Day 6.5

Cake by the Ocean

Before there was Bae Joohyun, there was Kang Seulgi.

 

Wendy wouldn’t deny that she loves Seulgi first. But it wasn’t what people assumed it would be. A lot of people often confuses the word love with romance, but Wendy knew from the start how different and dangerous those two words could get if they got switched. They are bestfriends. It was the kind of love were not a lot of people are privileged to have gotten a chance to know or felt. While here she is and Seulgi just b with it.

 

She already promised Seulgi that she’ll be her maid of honor and the godmother of her first child. Although Sooyoung and Yeri might try to put their hands on that. Seulgi would be there for all the big events but what’s more special is Seulgi would still be there for the heartbreaking ones.

 

It was the week before university starts and Wendy Shon feels like she made the worst decision ever to move to South Korea. She got accepted to Stanford, Cornell, UCLA, Berkeley, and the University of Toronto, but instead she decided to take the road less traveled and go back home, accepting the offer in Haneul University instead.

 

She didn’t feel that way at first, she was eighteen going on nineteen and ready to take on the challenge. It was going to be an adventure to be in another corner of the world. Wendy being the way that she is, spends her entire summer researching about Haneul, learning about the culture that she had left almost a decade ago and even brushing up on her Hangul.

 

But when she steps in the palatial gates of Haneul, she felt a sick sense rising inside her stomach. It was overwhelming, to say the least, Universities in both the States and Canada were just as huge, but they never created the sense of fear that Wendy has the second she steps in Haneul. It must be the language, even if Wendy speaks the language with her parents, it was almost intimidating when she hears Hangul everywhere. She’s Korean, but she felt like she sticks out like a sore thumb.

 

She was inside her dorm room, unpacking while contemplating of whether to book a one way ticket back to Toronto when she heard shuffling by the doorstep. She turns around and sees three boxes wobbling in someone’s grasp and one box being shoved with her foot.

 

Wendy being Wendy jumps up, ready to offer a hand when the boxes fell back on the floor. But instead of a cuss or a hiss, she heard sweet giggles. She looks up to be greeted by the warmest smile she had seen, and it belonged to a very pretty girl with very pretty crescent eyes.

 

“Hi! I’m Seulgi!” The other girl welcomes her with an outstretched arm.

 

“I’m Wendy,” Wendy replied before taking Seulgi’s hand in hers.

 

Seulgi’s hand felt warm and friendly in her grasp. Her roommate’s hands almost bearlike compared to hers but it was enough to shoot calmness in Wendy’s veins. It was just a handshake and a smile, but Wendy felt that second that if everyone in Haneul is like Seulgi, then she’ll be more than okay.

 

*

 

Everyday Wendy learns more and more about Seulgi.

 

First thing was that Seulgi is basically a baby. The girl keeps losing stuff, she can’t cook to save her life, and her part of the room was uninhabitable.

 

Second is that Seulgi is gifted with talents from every deity. Sometimes Wendy sees Seulgi just scribbling around by the next hour or so, Wendy would be blown away to see Seulgi turned it into a piece of art.

 

They were each other’s cheerleaders, Seulgi was so excited to invite Wendy to her auditions. The moment that Wendy saw her on stage, it was like Seulgi had been possessed by something or someone. She was charismatic, sensual and oozing with so much talent. Wendy had to ask herself through the whole performance if this was the same Seulgi who whines and trashes in bed when she has to wake her up for her 8 am class. But when she saw those crescent eyes when Seulgi steps down from the stage, Wendy knew it was the same girl.

 

(That was also the same time that Wendy saw Seulgi’s ethereal upperclassmen, Bae Joohyun. Seulgi happily introduced them, Joohyun greeted her with an icy stare before going on her way. It wasn’t until Wendy saw Joohyun again in the university coffee shop where she pumped herself up and dared to say Hi, that pretty much started it all.)

 

The third thing that Wendy learned is that Seulgi is the purest and kindest person in the world. It pretty much circles back to the second one, after her audition, Seulgi had caught the radar of every upperclassmen in Haneul. These seniors were swarming at Seulgi wanting to parade the hottest freshmen in town as their trophy. But Seulgi never sees them that way, greeting them politely while trying to say no.

 

And that’s when Wendy knew she had to step in, Sooyoung, Seulgi’s classmate would be brash enough to tell Seulgi, “Don’t go with him, he just wants to you.” But language like that scares Seulgi, Wendy had to dial it down to where Seulgi could understand.

 

It wasn’t all rainbows and unicorns and fluffy when it comes to the two of them. That catastrophe came by the name of Jennie Kim. The Business Management student was rumored to be an heiress, and Wendy believes it. Jennie has that air of sophistication and class to her that no money could ever by. She was devastatingly beautiful and she showered Seulgi with attention. Wendy also heard about countless rumors how she s around and that was proven true in every case. She warns Seulgi to just be careful, but Seulgi had already had her heart set. And when Seulgi loves, she loves hard, unfortunately, it’s this love that tore her apart.

 

Wendy was there when Seulgi experienced her first heartache. Seulgi didn’t say a word about it, but everyone could sense the difference.  That lovely crescent smile grew dimmer and dimmer, and sometimes Wendy just sees Seulgi with a pencil held high, and instead of art, it was unfinished sketches. Wendy assures her day after day that she’s here if she needs to talk about it, but Seulgi… typical Seulgi responded with a smile before shaking her head and saying that she’s alright.

 

It was late one night when Wendy heard Seulgi crying. She immediately got out of bed, held her bestfriend close and let Seulgi cry in her arms. For once, Wendy didn’t know what to say, she couldn’t say it’ll be alright because that will be hypocritical of her. She can’t say, I’m here because she doesn’t know what else Seulgi needs. So, all she whispered to Seulgi was, “She’s not worth it.” She whispers it to her over and over again until Seulgi’s heart slowly started to heal.

 

It was a couple of months after when Seulgi’s smile has finally regained that glow again when the two of them had a talk. They were bonding over Chapagetti and ice tea, Seulgi, with dreamy eyes and even dreamier voice talks about how nice it is to see her and Joohyun unnie so in love and that someday she’ll find the right one. Wendy’s chopsticks paused midway when she heard that before beaming proudly at Seulgi.

 

It was like a breath of relief to hear that and know that despite getting her heart smashed into pieces, Seulgi is still willing to go out there and find love once again.

 

So very lightly, Wendy lays it down for Seulgi, that love isn’t like how the movies are, that even her and Joohyun have their fights (though she’s usually the one who says sorry). When you meet the one, it won’t immediately be sparks and butterflies, that some might happen in a snap, others take longer. That you have to live and learn and stumble along the way. But when you meet the one, you’ll know that they will be worth every cut and bruise, that often the word pride doesn’t exist and you’ll learn about the word forgive. And when you meet the one, you’ll finally understand what the words “worth it” really means.

 

They had that conversation almost a year ago, and despite Seulgi saying those words, Wendy couldn’t deny that she still saw apprehension in Seulgi everytime someone approaches her. Sooyoung and Yeri weren’t doing Seulgi any favors either when they would try to hook her up with some. It was Joohyun who had to stand up and tell them to lay off Seulgi and just wait until she’s ready.

 

If they would have asked Wendy, Eunae was the last person she imagined to be with Seulgi. First time on that beach, Eunae looks so tall and intimidatingly beautiful. But Wendy sees the way Seulgi was looking at her, she saw the attraction and the apprehension and she knew that maybe what Seulgi needs is just a little nudge. And day by day, she saw that uneasiness dwindling by the second. Instead, she saw the way Seulgi’s eyes glow now, Wendy sees Seulgi’s smile getting brighter and brighter. Until it hit her right now, that her bestfriend has finally found that love.

 

Seulgi was waving ecstatically at them before she gave Eunae a warm side hug. But Seulgi wasn’t done as she stands on her tiptoes and presses a kiss on Eunae’s temple, making the tall beauty giggly softly.

 

“My girlfriend!” Seulgi said with a proud smile while pointing at the beautiful girl next to her.

 

“I think we should get to know each other.” The raven haired beauty with that slanderous face approaches them. Their towering height and fierce beauties made her and her gang shrank. Only Sooyoung seems to be the only one who could stand toe to toe with them. But the worry soon disappeared as the Eunae’s friends greeted them with the warmest smiles.

 

The two groups of girls went through introductions, speaking in a formal tone and a politeness they don’t usually use often.

 

“We’re basically in-laws now. I’m Nahyun, that girl’s bestfriend…” She said before her lips curved in a devious grin. “It’s nice to finally meet you, Seulgi-shii. Eunae kept telling us last night what an awesome kisser you are.”

 

“Yah Najjang!” Eunae whimpers, before turning worriedly at Seulgi who stood there looking stunned. “I…I…”

 

“Oh, see unnie,” Yeri elbows Seulgi straight in the rib. “You were saying how talented Eunae’s tongue was last night.”

 

“Wait what?!” It was Seulgi’s turn to jump. “I…I…I didn’t say that.”

 

“Oh, now you’re saying that Eunae isn’t a good kisser?” Sooyoung jumps in.

 

“What?! No… she is… I… Oh no… Eunae- I-”

 

“Oh my God,” Nahyun snickers. “And here I was thinking that my friend is gonna be the bottom, but you’re just as worse, Seulgi-shii.”

 

“Yahhh… I’m not playing anymore Kim Nahyun.” Eunae warned but her cute high pitch tone makes it hard for anyone to take her seriously.

 

“Bottom of what?” Seulgi asks, scratching her head in confusion.

 

Eunae turns over to her girlfriend, cupping her cheeks.

 

“Don’t listen to them, unnie.”

 

“Pffft…” Nahyun said. “Such a top thing to say. These two are gonna be so much fun.”

 

Yeri and Sooyoung couldn’t agree more.

 

“I’m just gonna go take a shower,” Eunae then bows thankfully at Dohee. “Thanks for taking my shift, I’ll take yours next week- I-“

 

“Hey. Don’t worry about it, Eunae. If someone dies, then who are we to question God’s plan?” Minjae reassures her though it did quite the opposite.

 

“Yup. It’s probably their time to go.” Dohee adds.

 

“Eunae, why don’t you give Seulgi a tour of our room, eh?”

 

“Make sure you put away your pink br-“

 

“Stop Nahyun! Just stop.” Eunae squeals before turning over to Seulgi. Eunae’s annoyed look turns into gleams of love. She squeezes Seulgi’s hand affectionately and jogging quickly back to the dorm.

 

“Unnie!” Yeri says, interrupting Seulgi’s lovesick drooling, giving her a good shove. “Go ask Eunae if you could join her!”

 

“Yah Yeri don’t say that!” Seulgi looks worriedly over to Eunae’s friends, who has mild look of shock on their faces. The last thing Seulgi needs is for Eunae’s friends to think that she only wants to get it on with Eunae. “I…I…I don’t think like that. Really I don’t…”

 

The look of shock quickly twisted to devilish grins before they start bursting out in laughter. Seulgi could only muster nervous, high pitch laughter.

 

“Hey, don’t worry about it.” Minjae, the shortest among them says. “We could tell if someone just wants to get it on with Eunae.”

 

“And you don’t even know what the word bottom means, so you’re safe, Seulgi-shii.” Euijin, the one with a pretty eyesmile reassured her.

 

“But that’s our Eunae, too kind for anything,” Dohee said. “I want to go and apologize ahead if she gets too shy and quiet, but trust me, you’re the luckiest girl, Seulgi-shii.”

 

“Yup. She’ll put everyone first before herself. She once had an 18-hour shift because she took over everyone's. But she never complains.”

 

“I knew her since preschool,” Nahyun said, the usual slandering tone shifted to a more soften one. “But I have never seen her so happy and there is no one else in this world who deserves it more than her. I’m glad she found someone that made her this happy. But if you dare to hurt her though,”

 

Seulgi gulps nervously as the smiling faces turned murderous in a snap.

 

“But! We know you won’t!” Sumin says, glaring warningly back at her friends. “It was super awesome to meet all you guys. If you’re free tonight, we could take you guys to this awesome barbeque place.”

 

Sooyoung and Yeri look half awake but the mention of food is all it took to wake them.

 

“We will see you there!”

 

“Well, nice to bond with the in laws but we gotta go and save some lives and ,” Nahyun said.

 

“It was nice to meet you guys.”

 

The girls all bid their farewell, their goodbyes a little bit warmer this time, and more welcoming than the tone they had earlier.

 

When the girls all stepped out, Sooyoung and Yeri were quick to put that finally started to wrestle her, their show of affection on how happy they were with their teddy bear.

 

“You okay?”

 

This time it was Wendy who was nudge back into reality when Joohyun whispered her that question. She saw the gentle smile that Joohyun has before she returns a smile that is just as sweet.

 

“Never better.”

 

Wendy caught Seulgi’s gaze as they exchanged knowing smile. It was a look that only her and Seulgi could comprehend. Seulgi’s smile loudly expressing the words, “I found her.” Wendy finally breathes out a sigh of relief before smiling back.

 

“Yup, you did.”

 

*

 

Seulgi has been signaling Sooyoung and Yeri to stop, but when did those two ever listen?

 

It was time to get breakfast and as much as Seulgi would like Eunae for herself, Eunae was too nice to invite her friends to join them which Sooyoung and Yeri had no problems saying yes to. Now Seulgi is regretting it, everytime Eunae moves to place some food on her plate or just turned to her, Sooyoung and Yeri were quick to play googly eyes and kissy faces. Even Wendy and Joohyun gave up on them.

 

“Is Seulgi unnie your first girlfriend, Eunae unnie? Can I call you that? Can I call you unnie?” Yeri was the first one to initiate the conversation.

 

“Yeah, that’s okay. And ummm… Yeah, she is.”

 

“I hate to break it to you, Eunae unnie. But, it’s better that you know it now.”

 

The rest of the table looks incredibly worried what might come out of Yeri’s mouth. But before they could stop her she already blustered out.

 

“I was Seulgi unnie’s first.”

 

“Wait- What? What are you talking about?” Seulgi screams in dismay.

 

Yeri gives Seulgi a look, sighing before looking at Eunae who now looks puzzled and confused at the situation.

 

“Yup, I took away what needs to be taken.”

 

“N-no-no you didn’t. Eunae, don’t believe her. I’m… I’m… I’m… pure.”

 

Yeri just shakes her head, disappointment etched on her face. “I thought what we had was special?”

 

“What are you even talking about?!”

 

“Have you forgotten already, unnie?”

 

Seulgi looks absolutely horrified, Eunae knows better than to taking anything that comes out of Yeri’s mouth seriously. “I didn’t forget anything, cause nothing happened!”

 

“Remember when we were playing that game, and I touch you in the ies?”

 

The rest of the girls just let out a pained groan except for Sooyoung who is enjoying this entire drama. Seulgi clutches her arm tightly around her chest. She still feels so violated whenever that memory crosses her mind.

 

“I basically went to second base with unnie.”

 

Seulgi was already whimpering in her seat, but Eunae coos at her with gentle rubs on her back.

 

“I don’t know if you’ll feel better or worse about this, Eunae unnie but there’s barely anything there. It’s like plywood.”

 

Even Eunae now is pursing her lips, finding it extremely hard not to crack a smile.

 

“Yah! Kim Yerim!” Seulgi objects like a petulant child.

 

“It’s okay, unnie.” Eunae rubs Seulgi’s back.

 

Now it’s time for Sooyoung to wreak havoc.

 

“You should feed each other now, Seulgi unnie.”

 

Seulgi drops her pancake on her lap from the brazenness of Sooyoung’s suggestion.

 

“Ummm, it’s okay.” Seulgi squeaks, picking up the pancake and popping it in unconsciously. Oh . Wait… Is it dirty already? What if Eunae thinks that she eats like a little piglet now?

 

“Why not, unnie? I mean you’re girlfriends now.” Sooyoung adds.

 

“It’s something girlfriends do, me and Saeron do it, Wendy unnie and Joohyun unnie do it.”

 

Seulgi could only react by cutting her pancake and stuffing the huge slice in , a perfect reason to choke.

 

“Omo… you okay?” Eunae picks up the glass of water and brings it to Seulgi’s lips.

 

“I am… I am.” Seulgi says, ignoring the greasy, eating grin plastered on her friend's faces. Traitors. All of them are traitors.

 

“It’s not a big deal, unnie.” Sooyoung just won’t give it up. “People do it all the time, see? Me and Yeri could do it. Here…” Sooyoung offered a piece of pancake to Yerim. “Choke you little demon.”

 

“Mmmmm…” Yeri looked like she should star for a pancake commercial. “And this is for you, Satan.”

Sooyoung leans over to take a bite, but Yeri pulls the fork away before she points at her jutting lips. “ Where’s my kiss first?”

 

“Shut up you monster.” Sooyoung yanks the fork away and takes a huge chomp of the pancake. “But yeah, easy, right?”

 

Seulgi was ready to tell them no thanks, but now even her own bestfriend and her girlfriend is going along with this, spoonfeeding each other like the sickeningly sweet couple that they are.

 

“Here you go, unnie.”

 

Seulgi turns around at the sweet voice of her girlfriend and almost choke again when she sees Eunae offering her a slice of her spam.

 

“Oh…oh…oh… ummm,” Seulgi opens as daintily as she could before taking the spam. Her heart was beating out of whack at the sight of Eunae’s sweet smile but that moment didn’t last long when her friends started to yell.

 

“AYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

 

“Oh, you got something,” Eunae said. Before brushing God knows what on her face that did nothing, completely nothing to save Seulgi from insanity.

 

“SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTT!!!!”

 

*

 

“So,”

 

“Hmmm?”

 

Seulgi completely forgot what she was about to say when her eyes locked on their intertwined hands again. After her so called friends bully them (or more specifically her) during their breakfast, she and Eunae were finally able to ditch them.

 

Now they’re just wandering around this beach town, the place dotted with souvenir shops and local cafes but all Seulgi could appreciate is the girl right next to her.

 

“Other than you play college volleyball and a lifeguard and teaches swimming, what else do you like to do?”

 

“Oh ummm… I’m really no jam.” Eunae added, looking quite disappointed at herself.

 

“I think you’re fun.”

 

Eunae flashes that sweet, crescent grin again before caressing Seulgi’s hand. She pouts thoughtfully but finds it hard to figure out something that she loves more than volleyball and writing and Seulgi.

 

“I go running, and I work out, and I enjoy eating-“

 

“I love eating too! I love dumplings!”

 

“Oh… we could go to this dumpling pl-“

 

“Nope.”

 

“What?”

 

“Nope. Today we're going to do and eat whatever YOU like.”

 

“But-“

 

“Nope." Seulgi had never looked so determined. "You’re my girlfriend and today I’m going to spoil you so much. I’m gonna spoil you every day but this day is extra special because it’s our first day as girlfriends.”

 

“Well… ummm…" Eunae pouts thoughtfully before finally saying "I like to ride the bus.”

 

“Wait? What?” The usually confuse Seulgi only got more confused.

 

“Yeah sometimes when I’m tired from practice, I take the longer route back to our dorms and just relax there, listen to music.”

 

“Oh…” Seulgi scratches her head in more confusion. “Okay then.”

 

Fearing that it sounded way too dull for a city girl’s taste, Eunae tried to reason out. “I know it’s kinda boring.”

 

“If it’s fun for you, it’ll be fun for me.” Seulgi takes Eunae’s hand in hers. “Let’s go ride the bus now.”

 

“Hold on- what?”

 

“I told you earlier, we are gonna do what you like to do. And look! There’s a bus now!”

 

*

 

“I’m sorry about my friends,”

 

Eunae answers the girl sitting next to her with a soft smile. She preferred the window seat but when she sees Seulgi’s eyes glowed, she let the other girl sit first before taking the spot right next to her.

 

“They’re really nice.”

 

“Depends on their mood… But yeah… don’t listen to Yeri, I’m still a you know…ummm…” She coughs not knowing how to say the word out loud without sounding crude.

 

Eunae smiles before rubbing Seulgi’s back reassuringly, “Don’t worry… You don’t have to say it.”

 

“So, what do you usually do when you’re on the bus?”

 

“I ummm… listen to music.” Eunae says before digging through her black bag for her phone, Seulgi sitting right there her heart skipping beat after beat. When Eunae turned to look at her, Seulgi flipped her head back too quickly that she smashed her forehead against the glass. “Omo! Are you okay?”

 

“Yeah… yeah… No worries. It didn’t hurt.” Except for her pride.

 

Seulgi forces the biggest smile she could muster and Eunae rubbing on the red spot on her forehead.

 

“So, ummm…”

 

“Hmmm?” Eunae turns to her, blinking those gorgeous eyes at Seulgi.

 

One smile, one flip of a hair and one look from those gorgeous eyes and Seulgi had to learn how to breathe again. Maybe it’s good that they live far away because she doubts she could ever contain herself around Eunae.

 

“Did you ever like someone else before?”

 

“Hmmm?” Eunae sees the curious gaze of Seulgi’s eyes. “Well, I had a crush before.”

 

This was the worse conversation to strike on a bus because the only way out is to either jump out of a bus or be stuck in awkward silence. But maybe it’s the effect of being friends with Sooyoung and Yeri, Seulgi developed a masochist side to her, to ask for pain in the worst possible way.

 

“What is it about her that you like?”

 

“I really like how she played volleyball.”

 

Damn sports the one thing Seulgi couldn’t master. Why did Seulgi even bother to ask?

 

“Ohh… Ahhh… she’s good?” Seulgi pretends that whatever ill feelings she has doesn’t show.

 

“Yeah… she was MVP two years in a row and she made the national team.”

 

“Oh wow,” Seulgi’s voice is sounding faker by the second.

 

“How about you?”

 

“Do you guys go on dates?” Seulgi prodded more, completely ignoring Eunae’s question.

 

“Only once. Did you like anyone?”

 

But Eunae’s question went unanswered once again as Seulgi pipes in, “Where did she take you?”

 

“Why are you asking all this?” Eunae asks worriedly, gently caressing Seulgi’s hand hoping to ease her.

 

“I’m just ummm… you know… curious.”

 

Eunae took a long, deep breath before giving Seulgi a warm smile, patient at her girlfriend.

 

“She took me to this Italian restaurant but it didn’t work out.”

 

Eunae thought it was better to spare Seulgi the details. It was better to not mention how her volleyball sunbaenim who she had respected since she was in high school, turned out to be quite sleazy. Eunae was nervous about the date and it didn’t get better when her sunbae got all touchy. The arm around her shoulders, Eunae could maybe deal with but when her sunbae squeezed her thigh that’s when Eunae almost toppled over and run out of there as quickly as she could.

 

Nahyun and her friends were ready to make a mess of her face but Eunae told them, she’s alright. But Nahyun is Nahyun and during practice, her bestfriend smash a ball straight at that sunbae’s face.

 

The sunbae apologized and asked for a second chance, but Eunae declined as politely as she could. Even to this day, that sunbae still drops by and text, Eunae doesn’t bother to text hoping that her sunbae would get the message.

 

“I realize that time that it’s really just a crush, it fizzled out quickly.”

 

“Oh okay,”

 

But judging from Seulgi’s tone and the kicked puppy look on her face it was obvious that it wasn't okay. Eunae tries to reassure her again, this time by nuzzling gently on Seulgi’s neck.

 

“It feels different, so different than what I feel for you.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Not even close.”

 

“Is she still your teammate now?” There was still a tinge of worry in Seulgi’s voice.

 

“No. She already graduated last year.” Eunae places her lips on Seulgi’s ear, her warm breaths tickling Seulgi, making the other giggle. “So, no need to compare. How… how about you? Did you ever like someone?”

 

“I ummm… yeah, I kinda did.”

 

Eunae leans back on the seat. She was expecting it but hearing it out loud was a bit harder than she thought it would be.

 

“Oh.”

 

Seulgi reaches for Eunae’s hand, slowly intertwining them together.

 

“She has this kind of player image in school. But she was super sweet and she does this really romantic things that you thought only happens in movies. It wasn’t hard to fall for her.”

 

Eunae’s heart continues to break and all she could muster was a shaky breath.

 

“But something was holding me back, Wendy tells me to wait until I’m sure. But just when I thought I was ready, just when I was about to say yes. I… I just saw in her friend’s Instagram of her kissing someone else.”

 

Seulgi tries to catalog the feel of Eunae’s hand once again, as she draws patterns in Eunae’s palm.

 

“I always wonder you know, if maybe I should have said yes earlier and maybe it wouldn’t have happened. I kept thinking of it a lot of times, of what I could have done right. But now I have never been more certain that I did the right thing.”

 

The regret in Seulgi’s voice, felt like a punch in Eunae’s stomach, making her wince from the harsh blow of Seulgi’s words. She tries to pull away, but Seulgi refuses to let go. Instead, she reassures Eunae with a gentle caress.

 

“I’m sorry, I just feel like you needed to know this.”

 

“I’m… I’m glad you told me.” Eunae felt like it sounded like such a lie, but she would rather know it now. “But what if she comes back? And she’s right there with you in Haneul? And I’m right here? I-”

 

She leans and presses a gentle kiss on Eunae’s lips, hoping it’s enough to wipe Eunae’s fears away.

 

“Why would I choose the one who broke my heart instead of the one who made it whole?”

 

“I won’t break your heart, unnie. I won’t.” 

 

“I know." Seulgi answers her with a gentle gaze "During that time, it hurt, it hurt bad but now that I think about it I… I don’t think I could ever see myself with her. Not when I know that someone like Jo Eunae exist in this world.”

 

Eunae looks up at her full of question and at the same time anticipation.

 

“Maybe even if me and her ended up together, but somewhere along the way we break up and for some reason, I see you somewhere I think I would feel the same way just like when I saw you for the first time on the beach. It’s you and me now, Eunae. And maybe for a long, long, long, long time.”

 

Eunae let out a relieved smile before brushing her lips softly against Seulgi’s. Just something soft and sweet that was enough to make the feeling linger until they need to dive in for more in a few minutes later.

 

Eunae returns her attention in her bag, digging through it before she pulls out her blue earphones. She offers a smile and the right earphone to her girlfriend before taking the left one for herself.

 

“What music would you like?” She asked while scrolling through her playlist, Seulgi closing the gap between them, leaning over to see. 

 

If they asked Seulgi, it completely caught her by surprise when Eunae says she likes bus rides. Public transportation for her was like a bane in her existence. But once again, all it took was Eunae and here she is, ready to jump on any bus to be with her.  And with their sweet conversations, Eunae's bus playlist and her beautiful girlfriend next to her, Seulgi couldn't think of anything else much more perfect.

 

*

 

“Oh… I didn’t get it.”

 

“What? What? What didn’t you get?”

 

Somewhere along their impromptu road trip, they were able to find a local mall. While most girls would be out there to shop, the two rushed, fingers locked up the escalator to the fifth floor to the arcades. 

 

It was love at first sight for Eunae when she saw the adorable blue teddy bear inside the crane machine. It couldn't be more perfect, her favorite color and of course her most favorite of them all, a teddy bear. 

 

She wasn’t the type who spends money on those things, Minjae often shouts that the game is rigged.  But Eunae was feeling lucky today and decided to give it a try. But when the crane didn’t even come close to her bear, she decided it would be easier to move on.

 

Unfortunately, her girlfriend saw the longing look in Eunae’s eyes and had slid in her money inside the slot before Eunae could move over to  Mario Kart. Eunae had never seen Seulgi looks so determine as she lost once, twice and now third time before she slides her money again.

 

“Unnie it’s okay…”

 

“Nope… nope. I’m gonna get it for you. Fourth time is the charm.”

 

Last time Eunae heard it was third time's the charm. But her girlfriend looks so cute with that determined frown on her face that Eunae decided just to steal a photo.  A cute giggle escaping her lips as she watches Seulgi maneuvers around and finally getting her that bear.

 

“I got it?" It was the look of disbelief first. I got it!" Followed by relieved next. "Eunae, I got it!”

 

The excitement in Seulgi's squeals was more than infectious, and even Eunae finds herself celebrating along.

 

“You did! Unnie you did!”

 

“For you.” Seulgi gives her the bear, her expression reminds Eunae of those elementary kids giving a gift to their first crush.

 

Eunae gives her new teddy bear a good squeeze before thanking her own real life one with a loving hug.

 

*

 

“Before you go, I want to make sure my girlfriend knows how to swim.”

 

Seulgi purses her lips, trying to muffle the squeal that’s about to escape her lips. It was close to 11 pm and after they raided a nearby night market for street food, Eunae asked her to get in her swim gear before they walked over to the pool. Seulgi guesses that Eunae has some perks from teaching swimming lessons because they have the entire pool to themselves. This is the same pool where they first held hands, the same pool where they almost had their first kiss and the same pool where they first visit as girlfriends.

 

Back then, this place look picturesque as the sun bids it farewell, but Seulgi thinks it fails compared to how gorgeous it is tonight. The stars and the moon were just dazzling up in the sky, and the soft glow of the streetlamps are casting light along the waters. But what makes it even more perfect was this beautiful girl with her. 

 

“Hold on, let me just…”

 

The squeal that Seulgi has turned into a gulp as Eunae pulls her shirt off placing it on the pool chair.  Her girlfriend is just revealing that body sculpted by the Gods. 

 

Seulgi cracked another gulp when she sees Eunae in just her black sports bra. She instantly crosses her arms across her chest as her insecurities are cackling maniacally at her. Her insecurity sounds an awful lot like Yeri’s voice.

 

But those thoughts were instantly wiped away when Seulgi sees that shy smile that Eunae has. Guilt slowly gripping her heart, knowing that she should have known better. Her girlfriend is more than just a ing hot body, she was someone worthy of being adored and being loved. And she’s the lucky one to get a chance to love her.

 

Eunae’s friends are right. She is so damn lucky. They might be miles apart, but there won’t be a day that Seulgi won’t let Eunae know that.

 

“C’mon,” Eunae says sweetly, taking Seulgi’s hand once again before leading her into the water.

 

“Omo,” Seulgi says as her toes dipped into the water, her reaction earned a giggle from Eunae.

 

“It’s okay, it’s okay… I’m here.”

 

“I think I need a floaty.”

 

“Don’t worry, I can be your floaty.”

 

Seulgi’s gaze went some parts before turning away to hide her deep blush. Eunae pulls Seulgi’s hand to her lips, laying a soft kiss before slowly threading towards the deeper part of the pool.

 

“Omo…omo…omo…omo…”

 

“It’s okay. “

 

But even Eunae’s soothing voice wasn’t enough to calm Seulgi. As soon as she couldn’t touch the ground with her feet, she instantly panics, instinctively clutching into Eunae for dear life.

 

“It’s okay, it’s okay, unnie. I’m right here. I’m right here. See?”

 

She saw the way Eunae winces that instantly made Seulgi had to pull back when she realizes she was holding Eunae too tight.

 

“I’m sorry, Eunae… I’m sorry.”

 

Eunae shakes her head, reassuring Seulgi that a little scratch doesn’t bother her. That she would rather Seulgi hold her tight than anything else.

 

“No, I’m okay. Do you want us to go back?”

 

“No… no… no…” Seulgi shakes her head. She looks around, her fears subsiding as the glimmer of the night sky wrapped around them. “We could stay here.”

 

Eunae nods before pressing her forehead against Seulgi’s.

 

“I think I’m a terrible teacher.”

 

Seulgi answers her with a shake of her head.

 

“No, I’m just a terrible student.”

 

Eunae nudges Seulgi’s forehead with hers before smiling cheekily, “You’re an awesome student.”

 

“I’ll practice swimming. So the next time we see each other, we could actually swim around.”

 

“Don’t worry, I like it like this.”

 

“Hmmm?”

 

Eunae flashes a sweet grin, “Holding you beats swimming any day. Unnie…I…”

 

“Hmmm?”

 

Eunae finished her sentence with a bashful smile before her gazing falling somewhere else.

 

“No- nothing…”

 

“Oh c’mon… I want to know.”

 

Eunae looks at her and that shy smile is still on her lips.

 

“No- it’s too cheesy.”

 

“I probably know something cheesier. Please?”

 

Seulgi finds herself smiling widely even with just the moonlight over them, Eunae’s blush was still so obvious.

 

“Ummm… it’s just today is the happiest day of my life.” Eunae whispered softly, barely making a dent in the air. But for Seulgi that confession was louder than anything else. Those words seep through her skin, thrumming through her veins before making a place inside her heart. The part that belongs to Eunae. Every cell, every fiber and every beat belonging to her.

 

“Mine too.”

 

She saw the way Eunae’s worried look changed into relief the second she said those words.

 

“Really?” Eunae asked once again.

 

Seulgi responded with a more than eager nod. Her girlfriend responded to her with a cute squeak before her eyes crinkled into those lovely crescents ones again. She tilted her head to the side, her smile probably as bright as Eunae’s before she gently kisses those lips that she been craving for so much lately.

 

She remembered she had a conversation with Wendy almost a year ago. Seulgi was just barely recovering, still in the process of gluing her heart back together but the romantic side of her, always the romantic one was still dreaming of finding the right one.

 

Seulgi gave up on the idea a few times before but it was Wendy, always the wise one, who taught her that love isn’t as pretty as people assumed it to be. That there would be fights, there would be cuts and bruises but in the end, you’ll figure out that if she’s really the one, then she’ll be worth all of it.

 

She had completely different reasons why she came to the beach. To get away, to spend more time with her friends, to take some awesome pictures but never did it came to her mind that she’ll meet someone special there.

 

Even after the first time they met, it didn’t strike Seulgi that she’ll fall just as hard like the way she is now. But now here she is, they might call it too fast or maybe just a summer fling but they don’t know how she and Eunae is. This was more than just something fun to do in summer, it’ll transcend days and weeks and seasons and hopefully forever. It won’t be easy they say trying long distance, but she'll do it because Eunae deserves someone who is gonna love her beyond leaps and bounds. Loving Eunae is easy, but being apart from her is just plain torture. But Seulgi is willing to do anything.

 

Because now that she has Jo Eunae in her embrace, she finally understands what the words “worth it” really means.

 

TBC

 

Okay... a few minutes or hours late for Jo Eunae's birthday. lol. But oh well... hehehe... 

 

Hope you guys enjoy the update and next chapter will be the last before we move on to their fall semester hehe. Thank you so much for reading.