Chapter 4

If Our Stars Align

The house was too quiet when Hong Chan Ki arrived home that night, but then it always was these days. He closed the door behind him and placed the day’s mail on the table near his favorite chair. There was other mail there too, about two days’ worth; a collection of bills and letters that he knew he should open, that he meant to open, but somehow had allowed to pile up. He usually wasn’t like this; as a lawyer he was prompt and efficient and that carried over into his personal life. But somehow that efficiency had escaped him the past few days, and the pile of mail on the table sat as a reminder, rebuking him silently as he added to it and then passed it by.

He knew why. It had arrived a couple of days ago, the stiff, official envelope that currently lay buried at the bottom of the pile; as if entombing it in paper could muffle the sound he could hear from it, the sound that was the death knell of his marriage. Ye Seul had wasted no time in finding the most ruthless divorce lawyer in Seoul once she’d decided they were through. He knew he had to open it, reply, find a lawyer of his own to handle things on his end. Divorce law was not his specialty, and even if it was he knew that he was not equipped to handle his own case. There was an American expression about people who represented themselves having fools for clients, and while Ye Seul’s letter showed that he may have been foolish in other things in his life, he wasn’t about to stoop to that level. It was too late to make the call tonight, he’d do it tomorrow. Yes, tomorrow.

Of course, that was also what he’d said yesterday.

In the kitchen he the stove, put the kettle on, and almost on autopilot reached into the cabinet next to it for a package of ramen. It was a habit formed back in law school, and even now that he had a kitchen stocked with healthy, fresh food Chan Ki still reached for the instant noodles if it was late and he didn’t feel like cooking. Of course with the way his schedule was that often ended up being too many nights out of the week. He could still hear Ye Seul complain…

…no, he couldn’t do this to himself. It had been almost two weeks since she left, and it was just within the last few days or so that he’d stopped waking up and wondering where his wife was. The letter she wrote was still in his briefcase; the one place she was sure he’d see it, she’d written. The point was too painfully clear. Not a wife, not even a mistress; she said she’d felt like a stand in because he couldn’t his briefcase to dinner parties. Married to his work, the accusation of wives to their husbands for ages on end. And maybe it was true for him, but was it anything that she’d not known before she married him? He was not from a wealthy family, not anymore. How did she think they’d be able to afford the house that she loved, the dresses she looked so beautiful in; how was he supposed to accomplish all the goals he’d set for himself if he did not continue his work? He thought she understood what his job meant to him, but too many late nights and days left alone bred too many apologies, which devolved into too many arguments, until finally the letter left one morning in his open briefcase.

And what had he done, when he found that note? Had he tried to call her? Well, yes, but she’d already had her phone number changed. Very quick to take action when she’d decided on something, that was his Ye Seul. No, not his Ye Seul anymore. And he’d done little to try to change that. He knew where her family lived, where her friends were, but had he called them? No. Chan Ki had folded the letter carefully, placed it in his briefcase, and gotten ready for work. The lawyer had no arguments to present his wife, no evidence that she was wrong. Because she was right. He had neglected her, caused her pain and humiliation in front of her family and friends with that neglect, and he had no words in his own defense. And what was the point? He also had no way of changing things any time soon. Easier to let her go, tell himself it would be better this way. And maybe it would be. She obviously needed something he could not be.

Or at least he thought he couldn’t.

All it had taken was a look at a face, eyes staring off into space as if they didn’t really see him, and suddenly Chan Ki was questioning everything he thought he knew about himself, and thinking thoughts he’d considered buried long ago.

He’d long accepted the idea of reincarnation as part of his culture, but did not consider it relevant to modern day life and so when he started having dreams that seemed to show glimpses of a former life he was startled and uncomfortable at first. Chan Ki did research about the phenomenon though and realized what must be going on, but being the practical person that he was he shelved those ideas and dreams away like one would a nightmare. And it had been a nightmare; the life he’d lived before was opulent but harsh. He dreamt of a man who did things that were unbelievably cruel, and hurt those he claimed to love while refusing to believe he was doing anything wrong. It was horrible, yes, but it was also the past. He was not that person now, and dwelling on those events would do him no good.

But…then he saw her…

Sitting in the breakroom of the corporate office, seeming to be paying more attention to what she was reading than her lunch, she had her head up and while she didn’t seem to see him, he could see her. Chan Ki knew that face, knew those eyes. She was wearing modern clothing but for some reason it didn’t fit with what he knew of her; for some reason he thought she should be dressed in more traditional garb. He’d turned as he passed by, startled by the re-emergence of memory that both was and wasn’t his own, and the impossible emotion that came with it. Impossible because despite her presence in the here and now, the memory associated with her was ancient, and despite that distance the emotion he felt was love mixed with an even deeper anguish.

There was a voice on the phone next to his ear though, important matters to be discussed, and Chan Ki did not have the luxury of time to dwell over what he’d just discovered. So he’d shelved it away like the disturbing dreams of his youth. But this time the past refused to be shelved away, and he found himself approaching the new employee on the sales floor; something he’d never done before and never would have dreamed of doing. But he couldn’t help himself. The thought of her was too bright in his mind. He already knew her voice before she even spoke, and he thought he knew the name she would give for herself but he was wrong. Of course he would be wrong; it was amazing enough that she still had the same face that he once knew her by, but to still have the same name? That was asking too much.

The heart wants what it wants though, and despite the new name, Chan Ki held out hope when he talked to her, but there was no recognition in her eyes and when questioned, Go Ha Jin claimed no memory of him. Despite the disappointment, he still managed to smile, which was something he’d found himself rarely able to do since Ye Seul left. It was so easy to smile in Ha Jin’s presence; the memory of her was laced with heartache, but along with that were smiles and laughter, and a joy that he’d not felt in a long time. It warmed the numb places of his heart and he surprised himself by actually flirting with her. Surprise because regardless of what he’d done wrong in his marriage Chan Ki had never cheated on his wife. But was this cheating? Ye Seul was finished with him; she’d made that perfectly clear and all that remained to do was to complete the paperwork and it would become a reality. The appearance of Hae Soo…no, Ha Jin...felt like divine providence, a second chance. As Wang Wook, he’d had her heart but foolishly threw it away and lost her to his brother So. Was this not the reason why he could remember his past, so that when she came into his life again he would know her for who she really was and do things right this time?

That’s what he’d thought earlier anyway, and it was easy to think such optimist things in the light of day, warmed from within by the heat of bittersweet memory. To feel a love and longing that was not really his own but still gripped him, it was like nothing he’d ever felt before and he reached for it greedily. But in the dark of the evening and the coldness of his empty home, it was easy for that heat of remembered passion to fade. Reality was the bowl of cheap noodles in front of him, not tea served by loving hands.

I want to go back. Chan Ki couldn’t help thinking as the hot, spicy noodles slid down his throat. To be a prince again, not a lawyer trying to help rebuild his family’s lost fortune. To have the woman he loved look up at him with sweet, joyful eyes; not to be taunted with the reminder that his marriage was over. His life now felt dull and colorless compared to the drama of the past. It was often cruel, but at least he had lived.

It was useless to wish things like this. Those times were over, the person he’d been was long gone. That memory remained though, didn’t that mean that some part of that long ago prince was still within him? And if it was still part of him, didn’t that mean that some part of the court lady Hae Soo remained in the modern Go Ha Jin? If he could remember, couldn’t that memory be brought back to her as well?

But…did he really want her to remember? Their relationship in Goryeo ended cruelly. Any memory she might have of the Eighth Prince Wang Wook was bound to be painful; given this, why would Ha Jin want to be around someone who reminded her of such heartache? No, if the newest clerk at Bella Bella had no memory of her past life, then he was not going to be the one to bring it back for her. She was probably luckier than he anyway. Chan Ki wasn’t sure if remembering was a good thing. He supposed it was in that if he knew then he could learn from his past mistakes and not repeat them, but oh the memory…

…in the morning, Chan Ki woke to found himself sprawled across his bed, the pillow clutched to his chest damp with tears.

0-o-o-o-0

He’d told himself when he got to the office that he wouldn’t pursue it, that he would keep his lunch appointment with Ha Jin but just keep it brief and polite. But the light of day had a way of wiping away his darker thoughts, and when Chan Ki entered the break room at lunchtime and saw Ha Jin sitting there, the smile she gave when she looked up and saw him made him repent of such treacherous thinking.

“Hello.” She greeted him, then motioned him to sit down. “I was beginning to think you’d forgotten all about lunch.”

On the other side of the table from her was a bowl of ramen. Chan Ki sat down and looked at it ruefully. 

“How familiar. I had this for dinner last night.”

Ha Jin shrugged. “Sorry. Since I invited you I figured I should treat you, but noodles are the main thing on my lunch menu these days. It’s probably cold, but I can reheat it for you?”

He took a bite of the noodles. They were definitely cold, and mushier than he usually liked. “No, that’s okay. You can treat me next time. Since I was the one who was late, why don’t I make it up by buying this time? There’s a restaurant nearby that has great barbecue.”

“I can’t. There’s not much time left on my lunch; I don’t have time to go to a restaurant and come back.”

 Chan Ki was disappointed; it would have been nice to take her out to someplace good and impress her on their first date (or what he hoped was just the first at least). But she looked a little disappointed too, so that was something.

Ha Jin’s face brightened though as a thought apparently came to her. “Or….I thought I saw a food truck down the block from here?”

Chan Ki paused, then realized where she was talking about. “I know the place you mean. I haven’t eaten there so I don’t know what the food is like, but we can try it if you want.”  He wasn’t usually into food trucks, but wasn’t going to knock the idea if that’s what she wanted. Hopefully he would get the chance in future to take her someplace nicer.

Ha Jin nodded. “Sure. I bet you’re probably used to fancy places, but you never know what you’re going to find at some of those places. Come on, you just might be surprised.”  Getting up, she picked up the disposable noodle bowls and threw them away. Hers looked barely touched, so he guessed that she must have waited for him to join her.

Some of the other employees on their breaks had noticed when he came in and talked to her, now they were openly watching as they left together. He hoped he wasn’t going to be causing trouble for her. It wasn’t common knowledge yet that his wife had left him, and rumors about him with the new employee could be trouble for Ha Jin down the road. Gossip was the same no matter what century one lived in. He’d not thought about that until now, and part of him was sorry now that he’d agreed to meet her openly like this. Of course she’d had no way of knowing that he was married…well, separated now, on the verge of divorce. He’d thrown his wedding ring across the living room in a fit of anger after the first phone call from Ye Seul’s lawyer last week, and it was still lying around somewhere in there. What was done was done though, and he couldn’t be completely sorry to be in Ha Jin’s company. The sun was bright as they left the store, and walking down the sidewalk together Chan Ki found himself thankful to be here with her in this modern time. They weren’t a prince and a court lady, there were no regulations about how they had to conduct themselves. They were just an ordinary man and woman grabbing a bite to eat.  

What to talk about though? He knew almost nothing about Go Ha Jin. Hong Chan Ki was not an exact duplicate of Wang Wook, despite the memories and some similarities he’d noticed in personality. He wondered if it was the same for Hae Soo and her modern day self.

The weather?  How boring. Sports? Well, he wasn’t really into sitting around and watching games, so he wouldn’t have much to say about that either. Argh, how did he do this? After the years spent with Ye Seul, he seemed to have forgotten how to a start a simple conversation with a woman that wasn’t related to work.

“You were looking kind of lost in thought when I first saw you yesterday.” Chan Ki said finally as they walked. “Makes me wonder what you were thinking about.”

Ha Jin looked confused for a moment. “Oh…I was studying the catalogue for the current collection.”

“Really? I didn’t think it was such fascinating reading material.” He teased.

“Well they expect us to memorize it, and it would help if I sound like I know what I’m talking about to the customers so I’m trying to learn as much as I can.”

He nodded. “That’s true. Reminds me of law school. So much to memorize.”

“It is!” she exclaimed, her face becoming more animated as she got into the subject. “People are much more conscious now about the products they use and what’s in them. They ask a lot more questions these days and do their own research too. They don’t just accept others’ words for it, especially if it’s the company trying to sell them something.”

Chan Ki smiled briefly. “These days? How did it used to be?”

Ha Jin shrugged. “Well, you could say all kinds of things about what you were trying to sell and people would believe you if you sounded sincere enough. How were they supposed to know? And if something didn’t work you could just blame it on bad luck or a sign from the gods.”

“Sounds like you’ve done some research.” He found it interesting and amusing to listen to her talk. Was this something of Hae Soo’s life bleeding into Ha Jin’s consciousness? Chan Ki was curious, but there wasn’t any way to really ask without possibly putting her on paths that he didn’t want her to start down. Ha Jin was a blank slate; she seemed to have Hae Soo’s looks and personality without the baggage of the memory of her past life to drag her down.

The conversation paused as they reached the food truck. After looking over the limited menu, Chan Ki ordered sandwiches for them both and they sat down at a nearby bench to eat. Ha Jin started wolfing down her food.

“Hungry are we?” he asked in amusement before starting in on his own sandwich.

Ha Jin swallowed her mouthful of food. “Well I’ve been on my feet all morning and I was running late so I only had a piece of fruit for breakfast.” She looked at him pointedly. “Then the man who wanted to have lunch with me was late.”

“Sorry, sorry.” Chan Ki chuckled. “You probably should slow down a little. I’d get in trouble with the bosses if you choked on your third day.”

“I’m going to be late if I don’t finish this quickly.” She said, then got up. “Why don’t we walk and eat?”

“Okay.”

The conversation on the way back was limited since Ha Jin was busy trying to finish her sandwich before they got back to the store. She mentioned that she’d worked at another cosmetics store previously, but had to leave after an accident left her unable to work for a while. Chan Ki didn’t talk much, happier to just listen to her chatter between bites of food. This felt so right, so familiar. How could he feel so good just walking down the street with a woman he’d just met yesterday, especially when his world was going so wrong right now? But she wasn’t a stranger, not completely. A place in his heart and mind knew her all too well.

Stopping before the entrance, Ha Jin wiped her hands and mouth on the napkin that came with the sandwich then threw it away in the nearby trash can.

“Well, thanks for lunch, but I have to go back to work now.”

“Sure. Sorry I was late. Do you want to try again tomorrow? I’ll try to make it on time.” Chan Ki said.

“Okay. Just to warn you it’ll probably be ramen again.”

He shrugged. “That’s fine. I actually like ramen. Just not for back to back meals. And I promise I won’t have any tonight.”

“Alright. I think I’ll wait until you actually show up before making it though.”

“Sounds fair.” Chan Ki chuckled.

When they entered the store they parted ways, Ha Jin to go back to the main sales floor, Chan Ki to head upstairs.

“I’ll talk to you later Ms. Go.” He smiled at her before leaving.

“See you.”

And he was pleased to see that she smiled back.

0-o-o-o-0

In the elevator up, he tucked away the thoughts of the lovely Miss Go and tried to focus his mind on the meeting ahead. The representative from the Kim Corporation would be arriving soon to begin the first round of negotiations in their attempt to buy Bella Bella. He was curious to meet the man and find out the reasoning for the offer. Kim Corporation dealt mainly in real estate and technology, so it was odd for them to be moving in on a health and beauty products chain. He supposed it could be someone there trying to branch out into new fields, but ultimately it didn’t matter why they wanted it, because Chan Ki wasn’t about to let the deal go through. Bella Bella was his. Or at least it would be again.

Years ago the Hong family had owned the Bella Bella chain, along with several other companies. If it weren’t for his uncle causing them to lose everything through some bad business decisions, Chan Ki would be in charge now, instead of working as a corporate lawyer for one of their former holdings. The current owners of Bella Bella had no issues with the Hong family and so had allowed Chan Ki to work for them. And he did a good job; he’d helped build the business into something better than it was when his father and uncle ran it. But he didn’t do for the good of his current employers; he was slowly building up his own assets until he was in a position to buy the chain back. Which meant that letting the Kim Corporation take it over was out of the question. He needed to find out what their reasoning was so he could use it to stop the deal.

Outside of his office, his secretary looked up from her desk as he walked in.

“Mr. Hong, the representative from Kim Corporation is here.”

“Already? Isn’t it a little soon?”

“Well you are a little late sir.” She was one of the few people he knew who could manage to sound admonishing and respectful at the same time.

Chan Ki glanced at his watch. “Oh.”  Apparently his lunch with Go Ha Jin had taken longer than he thought. He wasn’t broken up over it though. They were the ones who wanted to take over his company. They could damn well wait.

“I’ve put him in the conference room for you.” She said, handing him the files he’d prepared for the appointment.

“Thanks.” He said, and left the room to head down the hall.

The door to the conference room was closed. Chan Ki opened it, pasting a politely vague smile on his face as he prepared himself for the meeting.

There was a man standing over by the windows.

“I do apologize for my tardiness. I had a meeting that ran late. I’m Hong Chan Ki, Mr…..” he started, but then the man turned.

“Kim So.” He said, and the shock on his face mirrored what Chan Ki felt.

I should have known…anywhere in this world I find her, he would be close behind.