--drabble

Nail Polish

 

“What the—Yunho! You’re getting messy again!”

“No I’m not, look!”

“I told you to paint in one direction, dammit!”

“Just stay still!”

 

They were bickering back and forth, Jaejoong’s hand on the table between them with Yunho slowly and carefully painting his nails.

Yes, that was what was happening. Jaejoong wanted pretty and sleek black nails for his album concept. Which he did have before—but the nail polish had started to chip and so he had decided to request his truly wonderful boyfriend to redo his nails for him, thinking it would be such an adorable couple activity.

All his friends constantly posted pictures of their cute and dazzling dating lives on SNS and when Jaejoong looks at their own little adventures, they’re always sprawled on the sofa eating junk food and giggling at stupid comedy dramas. Not that he doesn’t love it, of course he does—but for once, he just wants to spice up their already exciting dating life. Thus, the painting nails activity. Which Yunho is currently screwing up.

“Slowly. Do it slowly,” Jaejoong mutters, and Yunho scowls for a moment before dipping the brush back into the nail polish, and then dramatically and painstakingly dragging it out. A heavy fat bead of polish falls down onto the squeaky clean white table. Jaejoong grits his teeth.

There’s a small silence where Yunho smiles sheepishly, and then the elder man takes a deep breath and tries not to think about those painful hours he had spent earlier on that day making that exact table as perfect and clean as he could. Instead, he calmly orders, “Get a book or something. To put under my hand.”

“You should’ve said that earlier,” Yunho stands up. He finds a random photobook of his lover lying on the coffee table, picks it up and squints his eyes, “You keep a photobook of yourself on the table?”

“Yep. If i'm bored, I just go through it,” Jaejoong replies, tone nonchalant. Yunho stares at him for a moment in incredulity before shrugging and placing the photobook down on the table. The elder man lays his palm flat on a wonderful picture of himself and they resume their couple activity.

“Just a little bit,” He reminds, as Yunho carefully wipes the brush on the rim of the bottle. “Yes. Now, slowly… slowly.. slowly...”

“Okay, jeez! I can’t do it if you’re all up in my face. So shh,” Yunho complains, shooting the man a look before staring back down at his hand. He bites his lip, eyes squinted as he puts all his concentration into that one brush onto Jaejoong’s stubby index finger. A pretty sheen of black spreads across one side of his lover's nail and he makes a pleased noise as he pulls away, rather happy with how neat it appears. “Look!” He exclaims, grinning excitedly.

“Yes. Yes, but that was just one line, Yunho. You need to do the rest of my nail,” Jaejoong huffs, wiggling his fingers in impatience. The younger man grumbles under his breath but slowly dips the brush back into the bottle. He makes sure he doesn’t get a glob of it this time and then continues to paint the rest. His fingers shake and Jaejoong hisses, “Careful!”

“Can’t you see I’m trying to concentrate?!” The brunette hisses right back, narrowing his eyes. Jaejoong falls promptly silent so he cautiously leans a little forward and paints the next line. There’s a little wiggle that his lover eyes but says nothing about—so he continues to paint the rest. Another shake of his finger has black smudging onto the elder man’s finger and he stills, “We can just wipe that off later.”

Jaejoong just makes a displeased noise but lets him continue. It’s hard to concentrate with his lover practically burning holes through his head and judging every little mistake he does, but a half an hour later, Yunho’s quite pleased with the ending results. It’s far from perfect—little smudges here and there, some layers thicker than the others, but what matters is that every nail is black, and he did it. So he’s proud, really.

He has a happy grin on his face and the blank expression on Jaejoong’s face melts into an adorably fond smile. “Well. Not bad,” He finally says, blowing on his nails. Yunho’s smile widens a little more and Jaejoong ends up giggling a little, because the sight of his lover being so ridiculously happy over something so little like painting his nails—it’s really just the cutest thing.

 

About five minutes later when his nails are completely dry, they return to the table after a little warm, snuggly cuddle session. “Wipe off the smudges on my fingers with those,” Jaejoong gestures to the cotton buds and bottle of nail polish remover he had placed on the table. He sits down and then an eyebrow at Yunho’s confused expression.

“Can’t you just like scratch the polish off from your fingers with like your nails? With some water? I saw Jihye doing it.”

 

“Well you can, but this way is more efficient,” Jaejoong insists, although in reality it’s probably much quicker just to chip the polish off. He may or may have not decided to do this just so he could continue their couple activity, because he’s actually really enjoying it. It was a pain in the beginning, watching Yunho basically destroy his nails with wiggly lines and thick layers, but the man’s happy enthusiasm and his ways of attempting to make the next nail better than the last honestly made everything much better.

“Hm. Okay.” Yunho smiles cheerily, asking no questions. Jaejoong just grins, scooting forward.

 

One of the traits Jaejoong absolutely adores in his lover is that no matter what Yunho does—whether it’s a big thing or a little thing, he always, always gives it his all. He watches with admiring eyes and a goofy, lovesick smile on his face as Yunho slowly dabs some nail polish remover onto the cotton bud, careful not to put too much. He forgets to close the lid, but it’s okay, because he grins in that certain adorable little way and Jaejoong’s mind goes blank immediately. He kind of.. kind of just wants to shove away everything on the table and scramble onto his lover’s lap and maybe make out, but he’ll let Yunho finish first.

Yunho’s very cautious, very gentle, swiping away the polish with slow movements. The cool wetness on his finger makes him giggle a little, and at the noise Yunho peers up at him and smiles. The urge to affectionately tackle his boyfriend gets stronger but Jaejoong sits on his seat, trying to restrain himself.

Soon enough all the nail polish marks are gone and the proud, accomplished look on Yunho’s face has Jaejoong standing up, walking around the table to give his lover a big, loving smooch. Yunho beams at that and Jaejoong grins just as brightly, kissing him some more, because Yunho really did deserve all the kisses in the world.

“Is it better than when you did it?” Yunho teases between soft pecks. Jaejoong chuckles.

“Yes. Yes it is. Because you did them with love,” He replies, making his lover snort at the cheesy line, but then he gets pulled onto the younger male’s lap. “You did well, my love,” Jaejoong grins, circling his arms around the brunet’s neck and nuzzling him. Their dating lives are perfect to him. It doesn’t matter that they don’t go to fancy public restaurants or go scuba diving together or something big and grand like that, he’s really already just content with their fluffy and warm cuddling sessions in front of the television.

And as Jaejoong watches Yunho go on extra cheesy mode and press a slow and dramatic kiss to his hand, he smiles and knows that he really can’t ask for anything more.

 

A/N: sorry i took so long to post this! im always getting distracted :-(

thank u so much for ur comments hehehehe <3 <3 <3