Marked?

That's My Daddy
Please log in to read the full chapter

Mark could still feel the blush attaching itself on his cheeks, even after half an hour of the incident, what was seen, can never be unseen. Seen was the mouthwatering abs that come in the form of glistening after-shower droplets of water, watching the lithe body move in front of him; unseen was the image of it forever stored in the deep region of his limbic system, ingrained to his memory.

 

 

He could blame the weather, damn was it hot in this t-shirt and these black jeans. Mark fanned himself with his free hand, the other was being tugged to follow the skipping rhythm of a certain Park Taeyoung.

 

 

"Daddy, are you okay? Do you not like pizza?" The child's eyes wondered at him, his father following in his action, only to look away when their eyes met.

 

 

"I'm okay, Taeyoung, just a little hot from the weather. I'm glad you chose pizza, because I totally love it," he assured the boy, grinning at him to punctuate his point.

 

 

They entered the pizzeria, waft of the familiar Italian delight grabbing onto his senses, his lips in anticipation.

 

 

"Father, I'm hungry already. Why does pizza smell so good? Why can't we have pizza everyday?" The adults laughed at the boy's questions, as they were ushered to a both for three.

 

 

"Pizza smells and tastes good, of course. But you can't grow and become strong like Luke Skywalker and fight Darth Vader, if you only want chicken and cheese toppings. But, okay, sure, we could eat pizza everyday and miss out on all the jjigae, guk, banchan and the likes that you haven't tried."

 

 

Wow, that's guilt tripping the child, Park Jinyoung.

 

 

"Well, maybe pizza on weekends then?"

 

 

"We'll see about that, Park Taeyoung," his father grinned, compromise unsuccessful on Taeyoung's side. Mark wanted to pinch the boy's cute cheeks, his pout was too adorable to handle. "We're ready to order."

 

 

Once Jinyoung placed their order, with Mark's help, Taeyoung started talking about his favourite person at the kindergarten. Mark could hear the grimace from Jinyoung's face. He kicked Jinyoung's leg under the table. Jinyoung rolled his eyes at the elder. The boy went on and on about his little adventures with Sangjin; some Mark has heard of while some were new ones, or probably old ones, ones of before they knew each other.

 

 

"You know, father. Sangjin's mommy always pack those cream puffs for him. But he likes my sausages better, the cheese sausage, remember, daddy? So, I shared all of my sausages with him and he gave me his cream puffs."

 

 

"That's very kind of you, Taeyoung," Mark commented when Jinyoung said nothing. "But I thought you like those sausages too, Taeyoung?"

 

 

"Uh-huh, I do! They're my favourite! But, father says that sharing is caring. I care about Sangjin, so I share my sausages with him."

 

 

Mark bet that Jinyoung was swelling with pride, no matter if the topic was on Sangjin, that his son was behaving so well. That definitely cheered the boy's father up, patting his son on the head and praising him non-stop.

 

 

"Now that the pizza is here, I shall share them with my father and daddy, because I care for you too!" Mark did pinch his cheek, unable to withstand the boy's cuteness.

 

 

"Why, thank you, Taeyoungie!" Mark replied in a singsong voice.

 

 

 

Mark isn't the least bit worried.

 

 

He wasn't a big time celebrity, nope, definitely not. If else, he wouldn't be outside, with no bodyguards whatsoever, or a mask protecting his feature so he wouldn't be recognizable.

 

 

Okay, so, he was a little bit worried. At some point, he was worried that it would bother Jinyoung and his son. He wasn't so much as worried for himself.

 

 

He entered the mall, together with Taeyoung and Jinyoung. Once or twice, it was fine. But when a group of half a dozen girls coming up to him to ask for a picture and his freaking unpopular signature, Mark got a little annoyed. He wasn't an international name brand, nationally, yes, but this was not something that usually happens.

 

 

They were up at the cinema, queueing up to get popcorn and some drinks, also, sausages for Taeyoung. Jinyoung has purchased the tickets earlier on, getting the best seats for them, which really, saved them a lot of time.

 

 

More strangers approached them, some even took out their cameras just to film(?) him. What for? That was disturbing. Mark was imagining what it would be like for those celebrities, those idols, actors, actresses. How once they are into the world, their lives are no longer theirs to hold on to, their privacy is next to none, when there is always, always someone just a breath away to screw your life over.

 

 

"Mark oppa, isn't that the man in your Snapchat? Who's the kid? Are they your fans too?" A sudden voice asked, the group surrounding them decreased their chatting, tuning in to Mark's voice to listen to his explanation; the kind of explanation that they want to hear, not what Mark wants them to hear.

 

 

Mark didn't feel like it was an obligation to answer, he made it very clear that he was no celebrity, going out unprotected and publicly, and this kind of treatment was uncalled for, since Jinyoung and Taeyoung were pushed aside like they were just like any other person walking down the street.

 

 

"Please, I would appreciate it if you could respect my friends and I. We're just here to watch a movie." Mark saw the tell-tale sign of glistening eyes, quivering eyes Taeyoung displayed, with Jinyoung fussing over between protecting his son and stealing worried glances at Mark.

 

 

He's had enough. What is it with these people?! "I think you've got the wrong person. I'm not a celebrity. Please, let me through."

 

 

"You're obviously Mark Tuan. Everyone knows that!" Came a shout from the sea of human around them.

 

 

Shaking his head, Mark meandered his way through the throng of human, searching for Taeyoung. Mark had to move fast. He has to get them out of there. He grabbed the child into his arms, ensuring that he had a stable grip on the child's body, who willingly hid his face into the crook of Mark's neck. Taking Jinyoung's wrist, he guided the younger man away from the chaos.

 

 

"Anyone who takes a step closer, I'm sorry, but I will sue you. Or get a restraining order, whichever that is. Have a good day everyone."

 

 

The crowd, despite being small, parted, like Moses parting the sea as Mark made their way out of the cinema.

 

 

"Is this okay, Mark? Can you really sue someone?"

 

 

"Even if it's not, I'll say whatever it is I need to say to get you guys out of there." He tightened the grip he had on Jinyoung's wrist, ensuring him that it was alright, everything is fine now.

 

 

"Are we ever going to watch Despicable Me 3, daddy?" Taeyoung's voice was muffled on his shirt.

 

 

Mark kissed the top of Taeyoung's head. "Some other time, Taeyoung, I promise. For now, why don't we go home first?"

 

 

"Okay, daddy."

 

 

This was probably the feeling that Jinyoug gets when he has to cancel a suddenly plan. He understood that now. That guilt which creeps into you, crawling on your skin like ants, consuming you with an itch that's unshakeable, and your heart, heavier than the whole world piling onto it. "We'll watch something way better than that. Have you heard of 'My Neighbour Totoro'?"

 

 

"No, daddy. What is it about?"

 

 

 

Taeyoung refused to leave his side, even when Mark promised that he just needed 15 minutes to go home, get the stuff he needed, change his clothes. Jinyoung whispered something into the boy's ears, which made him less reluctant of letting go; whatever it was that Jinyoung said sure worked its magic on the boy.

 

 

By the time Mark stepped into the threshold of the Parks house, he was welcomed by the scent of hot chocolate and an ear-to-ear grinning Taeyoung, clad in his Spiderman pajamas. So, this was the whispering all about. Jinyoung hardly bribes his son with chocolate, if anything, Mark knew that Jaebum was the culprit behind all those ice cream and cocoa puffs bribery (you were a part of the debauchery too, Mark), this was probably one of those days that he let the boy have his own way.

 

 

Mark was pulled right into the master bedroom, gulp, right after closing the door and setting his shoes aside. "Hurry, daddy. Father has the TV on already."

 

 

If he knew this boy could be cheered by hot chocolate, a movie at home, in his Spiderman pajamas, Mark would have done this all along. They were in Jinyoung's room then, Mark didn't have the time to take in the whole of the room when Jinyoung was changing to his comfortable clothes.

 

 

"Oh, hey, Mark. Sorry, the better TV is outside, but Taeyoung insists on watching it here."

 

 

"Hey there. As long as I could put this DVD in a player, everything would be great."

 

 

Jinyoung helped Mark with the DVD player, as Taeyoung took up what space his small body could, sticking out his arms and legs, proceeding to form snow angels on the bed. Both adults joined Taeyoung on the bed, although Mark felt kind of weird. It wasn't his bed, it wasn’t a family member's, it wasn't his boyfriend's bed, but neither was it a stranger's bed. He pushed the thought aside, placing it in the recycling bin. He was doing it for Taeyoung. Twice times are enough rejection for a child.

 

 

The boy was slurping to his hot chocolate, humming and giggling, a leg each on Jinyoung and Mark. Halfway into the movie, when his comments ceased, Jinyoung took the mug away from Taeyoung, knowing that the boy's eyes were only glued to the screen, and hot (cold) chocolate might spill on his bed. A small 'thank you' escaped from his mouth but it wasn't quite for long until he started commenting on Totoro's appearance.

 

 

An hour later, when the credits rolled, Taeyoung was fast asleep. Looking at the digital clock above the TV, Mark noticed that it was almost 7. Early for a child's sleep time, especially on a Saturday night, and way too early for an adult. Jinyoung fluffed the pillows, tucking the boy on his bed. Mark takes it as his cue to make a move, taking the mugs away, as Jinyoung joined him at the kitchen.

 

 

"Do you want some coffee?" The younger man offered.

 

 

What is it about Jinyoung and his coffee invites, Mark wondered. It's called manners and etiquettes, you . "Sure, with sugar, please."

 

 

He received a nod. "Got it, now get out of my territory."

 

 

Mark laughed, as did Jinyoung. Mark knew he meant no harm in shooing Mark out. He wandered around towards the connected living room. Staring out, the sky was clouded gray, heavy and dark; the city was expecting heavy rain, no doubt about it. Before it left his mind, Mark witnessed as fat droplets begin to pour and rain their way down to bathe the Earth.

 

 

"I didn't know you like the rain," Jinyoung was seated on the sofa, motioning to Mark's mug of coffee.

 

 

Mark joined him on the sofa. "I like a lot of things, you just don't know it."

 

 

"What? Aside from rain, hamburgers and meat in general."

 

 

"Well, I like Chris Brown, skateboarding," you, but of course, he would never say it, not out loud, not until he's sure.

 

 

"Okay, what else?"

 

 

"Hey, this isn't some Late Night Show with Jimmy Fallon, okay. Quid pro quo, Park Jinyoung."

 

 

Jinyoung laughed, his eyes disappearing into slits. There it is, the million dollar smile. "Okay, okay, I get it. Well, I like my son, what, don't judge, okay I like pizza, Justin Timberlake, puppies and dancing."

 

 

"Dancing, really?" He was really going to judge.

 

 

Jinyoung shot him a pained look, "hey, Jaebum and I were in the dance club back in college okay. We were the best duo ever. What about you though, skateboarding?"

 

 

"Yeah, I loved it. Eat and breathed skateboarding back in high school. But you know, you can't always make money doing what you like."

 

 

Jinyoung nodded. "You m

Please log in to read the full chapter