Maybe?

That's My Daddy
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Daddy, would you come with us to watch Despicable Me 3?" Taeyoung's hopeful gaze pierced Mark's heart and he was about to say yes, until he glanced at Jinyoung. They were at the neighbourhood park, the Sunday picnic was quickly becoming a routine. Taeyoung wasn't asleep this time around, and hopefully there won't be any other accidents like that time when they first came here together.

 

"Are you a part of this scheme?"

 

Jinyoung held his hands up in mock surrender, "how is inviting one to a movie considered a scheme? We're not conning you out of your bank account."

 

"True," he bit the inside of his cheek, then turned his attention back to the waiting boy whose eyes bugged out, waiting, impatiently as he hopped from one foot to another. "Taeyoung, pray tell, who's idea it was to invite me to this movie you mentioned of?"

 

"Idea?" Taeyoung tilted his head, "oh, well, father promised to watch a movie, but we never did go. Then, father said we could go, if I ask daddy to come with us."

 

Jinyoung started busying himself with packing, unpacking and packing again the containers that were already empty. Mark saw the slow reddening on the tips of his ears, and sighed at his obviousness. So predictable, Park Jinyoung.

 

"Taeyoung, can you please tell your father that he could just ask me himself."

 

The youngest among them turned to Jinyoung, pulling on his shirtsleeve, trying to gain the other man's attention. "Father, father, daddy says that you could just invite him yourself, father."

 

"Okay, Taeyoung, sure I could," the smile he threw at his son was rigid, almost forced, because it definitely didn't reach his eyes. He even looked like he was asking his son for help.

 

"So, Mark, wouldyoucomewithustowatchmovie?"

 

"Do I need subtitles to understand you?"

 

"I said," he sighed, shoulders dropping in defeat, "would you come with us to watch movie?"

 

"There, wasn't that easy? Right, Taeyoung?" The boy nodded his head vigorously, finally seated, finding comfort on Mark's lap as Mark runs his hand through the boy's hair.

 

Jinyoung was mumbling nonsense then, but stole glances at Mark and the elder knows it all too well.

 

"Taeyoung, what is Despicable Me 3 about huh?" Honestly, it was highly unlikely that Mark would ever say no to the boy. But, who was he lying to, right? It was also highly unlikely that he would say no to Park Jinyoung. Not when Mark gets to witness that breathtaking smile across his beautiful face.

 

"They have the funniest yellow thing called 'minions', daddy!" The boy turned to him, beaming with excitement, his hands all over the place as he told Mark everything from the movie's predecessor.  

 

 

They were ready for their first ever outing, aside from their usual Sunday picnic at the park. This time, the father and son both went out of their way to greet Mark when he grabbed his set of keys, phone and wallet, opening the door, and was greeted by their beaming faces.

 

Taeyoung, he could understand why. But, why was Jinyoung excited too? It was just a child's movie. Okay, don't judge him, but he cried when Toy Story 3 ended, so who was he to assume that Jinyoung doesn't enjoy watching animated films, right? They had matching coloured tops, Jinyoung and Taeyoung, and they looked at his choice of outfit. They matched, miraculously, and Jinyoung acknowledged it with a smile.

 

"Ready to go, daddy?" Taeyoung's voice captured his attention, Mark nodding as he closed the door behind him.

 

It was a fun ride in the car, Taeyoung was asking questions every now and then, Jinyoung or Mark would quench his curiousity. Mark asked him how school was, and it eventually led to stories about Sangjin; Jinyoung's least favourite person in this whole wide world. Because at 5 years old, you'd think that a boy would be able to kidnap anyone with his measly strength.

 

"Daddy, there was this one time, Sangjin wasn't doing anything, not even colouring his favourite apples. The teacher was coming by, I saw the teacher, Mrs. Yoo was about to say something to him, but Sangjin suddenly said: Taeyoung, you're so cute, I can't stop looking at you."

 

"Awww, that's really sweet of him, right Jinyoung?"

 

"Yeah, very," Mark noticed that the boy's father visibly tense. "The nerve of that boy."

 

Reaching out, he squeezed Jinyoung's knee. "Hey, chill, they're just 5-year-olds having fun."

 

That seemed to calm him down, even just for a bit, though Mark knew there was no real hatred behind Jinyoung's sarcasm or tensing.

 

They were just minutes away from the mall, Mark not having to stretch his neck to catch a glimpse of the large advertisement board when Jinyoung's phone blared, a name crossed the stereo screen and Jinyoung answered without hesitation.

 

"Jaebum, what's up?" He spoke into the Bluetooth device.

 

His earlier fake-frown turned into a real scowl in mere minutes. "Hey, hey, you're not making any sense."

 

Mark turned his full attention towards him, Jinyoung sparing him a glance, a twist of worry etching onto his face as realization hits home. He focused himself back on the road.

 

"Where are you right now?" His tone turned icy, and that was the first time Mark ever see him act and talk the way he was at that moment.

 

Who is this Im Jaebum?

 

"What? No! Why, Jaebum?" They were already turning away from their initial course, Jinyoung taking an immediate exit.

 

"Yeah, I'm coming." Jinyoung ended the phone call right after and he sighed.

 

"Hey, Taeyoung. I'm so sorry, but can we watch the movie to another day, please?"

 

"Why, father?" Mark glanced at the boy from his shoulder and saw the downturn of his lips.

 

"Remember Jaebum, Taeyoung? Apparently, he is very, very sad right now, and Jaebum needs my help."

 

"Jaebum samchon? Is he okay?" Instead of wailing and throwing a temper tantrum, the youngest of the three of them was quite logical so to speak.

 

"Yeah, he needs our help."

 

"Okay, father."

 

And as easy as that, Jinyoung was left off the hook by his son, to which Mark was still waiting for Jinyoung to explain to him. Because he was still unable to fathom the situation. Who is Jaebum? Why is Taeyoung okay with it? How can Jinyoung just cancel a plan right off the bat?

 

"I'm really sorry about this, Mark," he apologized, but not once did he turn towards the man on the passenger side. "Jaebum is drunk off his senses, at 5 freaking p.m. and he's not one you could let to wander alone at that state."

 

Who is Im Jaebum? The question repeated in his head, over and over again. Everything he wanted to ask, but all that came out was a breathy, "okay."

 

At that point, with the distraction he had, Mark was confident that even if he said no, I'm not okay with it, Jinyoung was already dead set on getting to wherever this Jaebum guy was at.

 

He didn't understand what was the feeling he had at the moment. This brume that seems to be suffocating his breathing, his subconscious rearing its grotesque, coal black head. Mark didn't know what colour it really was in reality. He was only imagining it, for he would choke on the fact that it was actually green. It was so ugly, misshapen and green with jealousy, stained with palpable envy and Mark wanted it to go away, to get out of his sight and out of his mind.

 

"Okay," was the last word ever breathed in the car, and Jinyoung made sure again that his son was strapped safely on the booster seat before he picked up speed.

   

 

Im Jaebum was halfway falling from his chair at the pojangmacha when Mark and Jinyoung found him. Mark offered to help, he reasoned that it might be difficult for Jinyoung alone to handle a drunken man. Jinyoung didn't retort to it, just agreed albeit reluctantly, and he sat down beside the man who Mark could only see his mop of brilliant blond hair. He was donning some rather interesting outfit brand choice. Mark recognized the Gucci mark on his dress shirt, the loafers may have been Armani or Bally and that watch, an unmistakable crown logo, he had Rolex on his wrist.

 

"Hey, Jaebum. You okay? Hey, get up, Im Jaebum," Jinyoung was shaking his friend awake, though Mark believed that he should put more force into it.

 

The slumped figure jumped from his seat, pushing the chair to topple over, gaining attention of the other patrons, unfocused and unsteady on his feet, eyes squinted towards Jinyoung as recognition lit his face. "Oh, Jinyoungie, it's Jinyoungie. My favourite Jinyoungie."

 

Jinyoung rolled his eyes at the other man, getting his wallet and grabbing a few blues and green from it. He left it on the table, grabbed for Jaebum's bag and got up.

 

"You could help me haul him to the car," Jinyoung offered towards Mark. Before the older man got up, Jinyoung changed his mind. "No, wait, don't. He'll leave his nasty smell on you. Here, take his bag. Thanks."

 

Mark took the bag, which was light-weight, it probably had a laptop, and a few necessities.

 

Jinyoung grabbed onto his friend, who resisted at first, but Jinyoung pulled him again. "Oh, it's Jinyoungie. Jinyoung, what are you doing here?"

 

"Thanks, ahjumma. We'll be leaving now," Jinyoung didn't reply to his friend, instead he thanked the lady who was busy serving the table on the far corner, stealing glances at the table and nodded once she saw the wad of cash Jinyoung left behind.

 

Jinyoung struggled in his steps, supporting the man who has a somewhat bigger build than him. They staggered to the side, and Mark had to step in and hold Jaebum on the other side.

 

"Ugh, thanks, Mark."

 

But the figure between them didn't let anything get pass him despite being intoxicated with alcohol. "Mark? Why are you thanking 'Mark'? Who is 'Mark'?"

 

"The one who got dragged into helping you, that's who," Jinyoung snapped.

 

"Hmm," he sniffled, "Mark smells nice. Hello, Markie. I'm Jaebum. Im. Jae. Bum."

 

"Hi, Jaebum. Pleasure to meet you."

 

"Hey, pleasure's all mine," he giggled, and lolled his head towards Mark. It stayed there, his head. Jaebum's face on the crook of Mark's neck. "Yummy, you smell like chocolate, can I eat you?"

 

"Man, shut up! You're so going to regret this in the morning," Jinyoung snapped again, as he tried to search for Mark's eyes.

 

When they made eye contact, Jinyoung apologized, "I'm so sorry, he's the creepy kind of drunk."

 

"It's okay, Jinyoung."

 

"Hmm, even his voice sounds nice. Jinyoungie, where did you find Mark?"

 

"Mark is my friend, so you better behave," Jinyoung reprimanded the slouching man.

 

"Aye, aye, captain! Where's Taeyoungie? I miss my little baby."

 

Mark raised a single brow. My little baby? Well, if that ain't personal?

 

"He's waiting in the car, and you just ruined his day. We were going for a movie."

 

"Without me?" Jaebum whined, "how could you have gone to a movie without me, Park Jinyoung?"

 

"Shut up, Jaebum. I'll knock the life out of you myself if I have to."

 

They finally got to the car, Taeyoung watching with a wide-eye curiousity and greeted the newly added passenger to the car.

 

"Oh, it's Taeyoungie! Taeyoungie!"

 

"Samchon, you smell," the boy crinkled his nose. Atta, boy!

 

"Sleep, Jaebum. Don't harass the kid."

 

"Sorry, Taeyoungie, I'm just going to dreamland for a while, okay? See you later."

 

The rest of the ride back was silent too. Mark picked up on the route Jinyoung was using, and they were heading straight home. Is he sending me home first? Would Jinyoung just drop me off like that?

 

Questions, questions, and more questions. Most are left unanswered, Mark was too scared to verbally spit them out.  

 

To his relief, Jinyoung parked at the designated car park, shutting the engine off and sighed for the umpteenth time that evening. It really bothered him, but his sighing didn't equal to the way he acted once he answered the phone call.

 

Jinyoung took Jaebum's bag, and slung it around the owner itself, while Mark went for Taeyoung, who was also fast asleep. They worked in harmony without having to discuss a word of it, and it kind of made Mark rather tingly inside. Except, there was the other factor, slumped individual in Jinyoung's arms, who required the most attention. Mark was pissed off, yet, he was grateful that he was there. At least someone was there to take care of Taeyoung. What would Jinyoung have done if it was just him. Then, it struck him. If Jaebum's not going home, does that mean he's staying over at Jinyoung's?

 

They got to the front of Jinyoung's place. Jinyoung efficiently opening the door, and with a few steps ahead, he dumped the snoring man to the sofa. He landed with a thud that Mark figured would for sure leave a purpling bruise the next day, doesn't matter where that is.

 

Mark made his way silently towards Taeyoung's room, listening to the sound of light footsteps falling in right behind him. Jinyoung then stepped ahead of him, opening the door, and getting inside before Mark did. Mark lowered the boy in his arms onto his bed. Jinyoung pulled the boy's socks off, covering him with a Pokémon blanket. Taeyoung's breathing was even, calm and soft as he exhaled.

 

If it was few of the things that Mark like about Jinyoung's place, Taeyoung's bedroom would be on the top of his list. That's also because you've never been in Jinyoung's room. Mark couldn't help but let his eyes wander around the room, the white and green desk with a shelf, with a cute work lamp, a white circular ceiling lamp, the white washed closet with green knobs, Taeyoung's toys in his white-green basket right beside his bed, and a leaf-bed canopy. He has always liked this little room. But Mark didn't wait any longer after that, fully knowing that Jinyoung would soon attend to the other man in his house.

 

Jinyoung was quick on his feet, catching up to Mark in seconds before he could get to the door.

 

"Mark, hey. What's the rush? Do you want to stay for some coffee?"

 

"I should get home, your friend is making a river of drool on your sofa," Mark pointed out.

 

Jinyoung sighed, his jaw clenched, tight lipped smile decorated his face, "he owes me a new set anyway."

 

Mark got his shoes on, ready to leave the house at any moment, "great, make sure you get expensive ones. Good night, Jinyoung."

 

A firm hand gripped onto his, vise-like hold, stopping Mark in his steps. He was so close, just a step away from the exit.

 

"Hey," his brittle voice filled the void, "I'm really sorry about tonight. I didn't expect for this to happen. I'll make it up to you, and Taeyoung." He still had Mark in his grip, it was suffocating, not being able to look at Jinyoung was suffocating, but he has to stand his ground. "Mark, please, look at me."

 

How could I not look at you when you beg me to like that, damn it!

 

Mark made an attempt at schooling his face into a neutral expression, hoping he didn't fail at it. "Jinyoung, it's fine," he inhaled and turned back to face the other.

 

Jinyoung was already moving forwa

Please log in to read the full chapter