Ch 18

What the Nightingale Spies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongin slides off the bed and heads toward his closet to pick out one of his suits, frowning at the asymmetrical creases in the slacks. They need ironing. It’s barely 4pm. He’s supposed to have 5 hours before heading back to Prudence. His routine is completely thrown off, and he’s feeling prickly about it. (And the interruption of his intimate moment with Kyungsoo.) He scowls at Baekhyun. “Are we really pressed for time, or can we at least shower first?”

“I’d rather not wait around while you two to have shower ,” Baek quips.

Jongin can feel his ears burn red. “Yah.” Oh, wrong move. He knows better than to show weakness to Baek’s teasing: it only invites more.

Mischievous smirk in place, Baekhyun turns his attention over to Kyungsoo to ask him, “So, Dyo, was he any good-”

“Baek!” Jongin yells, mortified.

“...or did you have trouble dislodging the stick up his aaah--!”

Baekhyun doesn’t get to finish because Kyungsoo grabs his arm and twists it behind his back in one fluid motion, forcing Baek to bend forward at the waist with Kyungsoo’s other hand gripping him by the nape of his neck. In a low tone, he mumbles menacingly in Baek’s ear: “Disrespect him like that again, Byun Baekhyun, and I will personally delete your beloved League of Legends profile.”

Jongin debates telling Kyungsoo it’s likely to happen again within the hour, so he shouldn’t make promises like that unless he intends to keep them. But he decides to let it play out, amused. “Wait, Baekhyun is your real name??”

“Yes, and it’s fabulous. There wasn’t an alias that was gonna top it unless they were gonna let me go by Badass, so I was granted an exemption. Ow, mercy! Mercy!” His attempt to untwist himself from Kyungsoo’s hold fails spectacularly, the agent locking him down tighter after his flail. Flustered, Baekhyun attempts to crane his head back to look at Kyungsoo, but can’t given the submission hold he’s in. “How did you know that?? Or about my LoL profile?!”

“Oh, I know everything, dip. So behave,” he croons, patting Baek’s cheek once. Kyungsoo releases him, letting him straighten back up. The navigator wastes no time putting distance between them, skittering back and out of the bedroom. “Or maybe you should keep your gaming off the damn work servers,” he snickers.

“Control your man. He’s a little insane,” Baekhyun barks at Jongin, wide-eyed, pointing a shaky finger at Kyungsoo. “Fine, take your showers. Be ready to leave in 15 minutes, though.”

“Don’t raid my fridge!” Jongin calls after him as Baekhyun shuts the bedroom door. Ugh, his leftovers stand no chance.

“You go first, tiger. It’s your shower after all,” Kyungsoo says, nodding toward the bathroom. He takes one of Jongin’s hands and over his fingers. “Of course, I’d be down for a noisy shower to get back at Byun, but I have a sneaking suspicion he might actually enjoy that.”

Jongin snorts and nods his agreement before giving him a peck on the lips. “Rain check?” he asks shyly.

“Definitely.” He gives Jongin that signature smile with his tongue poking between his teeth, saucily telling him: “Go shower - and no toy time or I’ll be jealous out here.”

Jongin turns on the shower spray to warm up and snaps a towel at him in retaliation. Kyungsoo chuckles and catches the towel edge, using it to tug Jongin toward him for another kiss, this one a little sweeter, a little longer. It’s bordering on making Jongin change his mind and yank him into the stall regardless of Baekhyun’s presence in the apartment, but Kyungsoo disconnects their mouths a split second before that can happen, stepping back and closing the bathroom door to give him his privacy.

Sigh. Okay, he can handle a quick shower alone. Get it together.

After a shampoo and rinse, he exits the stall, grabbing the to hide it at the back of his bathroom cabinet, feeling weird about Kyungsoo showering next to it. (He’d taken to calling it DilDyo, and worries that’s going to get sussed out sooner or later.) Maybe out of sight will mean out of mind. He fingercombs hair product through his fringe, sweeping it up and back on his way out of the bathroom to let Kyungsoo take his turn.

Jongin slips into his suit, fixing the collar on the jacket so it lays flat. He’s putting the finishing touches on his tie when Kyungsoo emerges from the bathroom, freshly showered. He’s back in his simple sweats and t-shirt combination, busy using one hand to towel dry his hair, wisps of it still damp as it falls down naturally framing his gorgeous face.

“Damn. You wear the full suit to the office? This is what’s on the other side of the line this whole time?” Kyungsoo circles around him, looking him over appreciatively.

“Yeah. Despite Baekhyun, it’s a pretty formal atmosphere in the building.”

Kyungsoo eyes the tie with dark pupils before running a finger over the tidy half Windsor knot resting along Jongin’s throat. “Good thing I didn’t know about this, sweetheart, or I would’ve been tempted to rub one out mid-mission,” he admits, voice deep and luring.

Jongin does his best to muffle the whine that rises up his throat. He can feel a familiar flush crawl up his face, still not sure what to say when Kyungsoo is like this. He wants to be tugged back into bed and stay there the whole night, but Baekhyun’s loud knock on the door signals that time is up.

“Ready or not, we gotta go, lovebirds. Get your in pants and asses out the door, please and thank you!” he chirrups.

The ride to Prudence is relatively quiet. Jongin insists Kyungsoo sit up front with Baekhyun, if for no other reason than to clear his head and prevent temptation in the back seat. The theme song for a recent drama plays over the radio airwaves, and Jongin thinks he hears someone faintly humming along, but can’t make out which of the front passengers it is.

In a short time, they arrive. Baek pulls into the underground garage and parks in the space designated for the Employee of the Month.

“I didn’t know we had an Employee of the Month,” Jongin comments.

“That’s because it’s been yours truly ever since I started here,” Baekhyun replies with a wink.

Gross. What exactly does he do to-- no. No, Jongin doesn’t want to know.

They step inside the elevator, and Kyungsoo heads quietly all the way to the back corner. Jongin’s body follows him on autopilot, leaning against the polished silver rail that lines the elevator car. He notices Kyungsoo’s eyes flitting rapidly over the dark mahogany walls and patterned lights in the ceiling. Jongin sends him a questioning look, silently asking if something’s bothering him, but he gets a quiet shake of the head in response. Maybe it’s just a nervous habit, feeling the need to check new surroundings for safety. Jongin frowns and leans even closer, brushing the back of Kyungsoo’s hand comfortingly.

They ride the elevator up to the executive floor.

“Irene, how are you? You look radiant in red,” Baekhyun greets the administrative assistant.

“Hello, Baekhyun,” she replies calmly. There’s a flash of recognition when she sees Kai, tightening in a thin line when she recalls his hasty brush off of her directive to stay out of Kris’s office yesterday

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter