Ch 13

What the Nightingale Spies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hiiii /waves/ It's been awhile but I'm back, as promised, before the end of January. You might consider rereading the last few paragraphs of the previous ch to catch the right mood/get your head back in the game here. There's no time skip ;) Thanks to my lovely Indi as always for beta'ing.

-----------------

A minute of sweet kisses, and Jongin is love-drunk. He’s climbing onto Kyungsoo’s lap and grinding down before he realizes what his body is doing. Their passionate liplock alternates between soft presses and needy les as their mouths can’t seem to get enough of each other. The moans spilling from Dyo’s lips are just as sensual as Jongin has been dreaming they would be, but his imagination failed to factor in the simultaneously delightful rumble of said moans against his skin. Dyo’s sturdy hands are mapping the planes of his back eagerly, and damn does it feel good. When he kisses down Dyo’s neck to give some appreciation to those amazing vocal cords, he hears the operative rasp out:

“This really isn’t the time or place for this, tiger. We’re not gonna be able to finish what you’re starting. There’s less than five minutes before the code finishes executing.”

“I could probably come in five minutes,” Jongin confesses, rocking his hips down against Dyo’s and loving the sensations spreading through his body.

After an appreciative groan, he chuckles. “What happened to my Shy Kai, huh?”

“I didn’t dare hope you’d be this hot.”

“Mmmm, sweet talker,” Dyo murmurs against his lips. Oh, the irony. Dyo seems to know it, too, smirking into the kiss with hands grabbing at Jongin’s . “But I need a lot more than five minutes to take you apart properly.”

Oh man, Jongin may just lose it from the promises in that statement alone. His whimpers resound in the room as he tries to pull Dyo even closer, arms wrapped around his neck and tugging.

They enjoy a few more heated minutes of making out, and then Dyo attempts to slow them down, petting gently through Jongin’s hair and opting for slower, closed-mouth kisses. He pulls back just enough to make eye contact with Jongin before kissing him once more in a meaningful, unhurried press of lips on lips.

The watch beeps, signifying the computer system should be done compiling the code. Reluctantly, Dyo withdraws from Jongin’s mouth, the ghost of a soft smile upon his gorgeous face. They’re both a little breathless, and Jongin really doesn’t want to let this moment go. He’s admiring how kiss-swollen and red Dyo’s lips look before him and is tempted to dive back in, but instead he takes Dyo’s face in his hands and gently kisses the bruise on his cheek followed by the cut across his eyebrow, before gradually unstraddling Dyo’s lap so he can stand and check on the software.

ing chemical warfare threat. Worst ever.

Jongin notices as Dyo rises from the floor that he had his revolver out and resting on the ground next to him, as though ready for an enemy to burst through the door mid make-out. Damn, the idea that Dyo was still on high alert, ready to shoot at a moment’s notice, is somehow… really hot. Jongin wonders if he would even break the kiss to fire, or if he’d pull the trigger all while still on his tongue.

Either way, hot. Hot, hot, h--

“You still with me, sugar?” Dyo asks, head tilting down to the side to enter his line of vision where he’s staring mindlessly at the opposite wall of the room. Jongin has remained seated on the floor, dazed and not trusting his legs to stand without wobbling.

“Mmm, just… watching the door,” he lies, eyes snagging on Dyo adjusting the crotch of his pants as he walks over to the control panel. His mouth involuntarily waters.

How quickly can they save the world and get the hell out of here and back to his apartment?

“Okay, it’s working. The patch I put in place has severed communication from the mainframe to any remote access points. Since I don’t have the password to the program they wrote to trigger the gas releases, I think this is the best way to override the whole operation,” Dyo says, hands on his hips and studying the three different computer monitors on the wall. The targets are all flashing yellow now, with a “Connection Down” warning next to each one.

“You’re so amazing,” Jongin says in awe. Dyo doesn’t turn to look his way, opting to take a quick picture of the target locations with his phone, but Jongin can tell that his ears have turned pink. “So that’s it?”

“Hopefully. I should send this picture to Kris in case they want boots on the ground if this somehow fails.”

Jongin nods. “I should call into the police, let them know there were ‘mysterious sounds like those of gunshots’ coming from this building that they should check it out.”

“Oh, nice. Cleanup protocol?”

“Yeah, I’ll use one of our contacts there. I remember his direct extension. But I’ll need you to turn off the scrambler, right?” He gestures to the small device resting on the control panel.

“Yep, let me know when you’re ready.” Dyo walks over to it, one hand on the switch, the other on his phone to send the photo to Kris.

Jongin almost reaches for his cell phone when he notices a landline next to the panel. Probably better for the call to come from the building, not able to be traced back to him personally. He grabs the receiver and nods to Dyo, dialing the number rapidly as the switch is thrown.

“This is Officer Ravi.”

“Hi, it’s Kai from Prudence.” He rattles off some bs about passersby hearing odd sounds from the location’s coordinates.

“I can send an officer over right away?” Ravi checks for confirmation.

“Better to send two. And be extra thorough investigating the first and fifth floors. Especially the fifth floor, northeast corner.”

“10-4. We’re on it.”

Jongin hangs up the phone, and Dyo throws the scrambler’s switch once more. He grimaces, patting the device before turning away. “Shame I have to leave it behind. It’s the first device I made at Prudence,” he explains.

“I can get Ravi to set it aside for you. Things go missing in evidence all the time down at the station,” Jongin says with a smile.

“Ah, it’s not a big deal. I try not to be too sentimental about objects,” Dyo says with a hand wave. His face slips back into business mode with a slightly guarded expression as he digs through the junked equipment in the corner for his tool bag.

“I’ll get it back,” Jongin insists, making a mental note.

“We should get out of here before the cops show up.” Dyo nods toward the door as he slings a small black bag over his shoulder and holds his revolver at a low ready position. “I’ll lead, you follow?”

Jongin draws his weapon as well, and they maneuver out of the room, back to back to properly cover each other and eliminate blind spots.

They leave the building in an anticlimactic fashion, making it down the stairwell alert but uninterrupted. The first floor hallway is similarly clear, and they push through the back door silently. Jongin closes it carefully, ensuring it doesn’t clang shut behind them.

He breathes in the fresh air of the early morning and relaxes a tad. They out. They’re free. Holy , they actually did it.

It’s just past 5am, so the stars in the sky are fading in visibility. The sun isn’t rising yet, but the horizon is starting to light up. It’s beautiful, the soft glow of the new day that’s coming.

When he tears his eyes away from the sky, he sees Dyo looking up at him, large eyes studying him. “Thank you,” he says softly. “For coming, even though you shouldn’t have.”

Jongin feels his mouth twist into a grimace. “Don’t thank me. Of course I came. I--” He can’t find the right words. Wanted to? Needed to? “I guess in the end it didn’t really matter since--”

“It mattered.” Dyo maintains eye contact as he reaches for Jongin’s hand and gives it a tight squeeze. “In every way, it mattered.”

He goes to pull away right afterward, but Jongin doesn’t let him. He tightens his larger, warmer hand around Dyo’s smaller one.

Staring at their hands, the right corner of Dyo’s mouth tugs up into a smile, and Jongin really wants to lean in and kiss him again. As if sensing it, Dyo his lips and says, “We’re out in the open. Come on,” he jerks his head toward the parking lot off in the distance and starts walking in the darker shadows, tugging Jongin to follow after him, hands still linked together.

Their identical, Prudence-i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter