Park Woojin

Produce 101 One Shots

You're childhood friends but he's leaving your town for the show AU

 

You put on a smile and look at him. Park Woojin. Woojin who pulled at your carefully braided hair sitting in the seat behind you in class. Woojin who is probably the smartest person you know but also too shy to raise his hand in class. Woojin who is leaving everything behind. Everyone, including you, to try his luck at some stupid talent show.

 

“If you forget me while you're not here, I'll kill you”, you threaten and he rakes a hand through his freshly dyed dark red hair. You told him he would look ridiculous. He would remind people of a fire alarm. You knew that he probably did it to get some precious spotlight in the show. It would be hard to survive with hundred other trainees as your rivals, trainees that were just as desperate as you. Maybe a crazy hair color would give him an advantage. Maybe. The color had turned out looking good though. It suits him. You didn't tell him that.

 

“And don't you dare get a girlfriend in Seoul!” You cross your arms against your chest as a small smile appears on his face. “Seoul women are cool and chic and you're just a country bumpkin!”

 

Maybe you're saying it to reassure yourself. Reassure yourself that he won't find someone else in Seoul. That he won't give you up while he's in Seoul. You feel your eyes prickling just thinking about this when he suddenly opens his mouth and then hesitates for a second.

 

Woojin rarely ever does that. Speaking. Not just because he's shy. He's painfully shy. But he's also afraid of showing his front tooth, the one that sticks out. You know that. Would a girl in Seoul know that someday, too?

 

“I won't.” He finally says, scratching his head and looking at you. The pale morning sun paints shadows on his face. The shadow of his long lashes. The shadow of his angular nose. “I won't find someone in Seoul.”

 

 You ignore his words.

 

“Stop speaking with your dialect”, you mumble under your breath, quickly looking away from him. “People in Seoul are going to tease you.”

 

You stare down at your feet. At your dirty sneakers. Do all city girls wear high heels?

 

Suddenly, his fingers find your chin and tap your jaw, making you look up. He's frowning, his thick eyebrows drawn together into a worried expression. As if he's sensing your anxiety. Then, slowly, his expression eases into a teasing smile. A smile so boyish that you feel your heart thumping in your chest, beating against your ribcage.

 

The world comes to a standstill. Silence. Everything halts. There's no one else but you. You can still feel Woojin's warm fingers on your face. His lips are pink as he opens his mouth, “I won't find someone in Seoul. I already have someone here.”