OUTRO: Spring Day

We Don't Talk Till 4 o' Clock
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Did you change?
Or did I change?
I hate even this moment that is passing
I guess we changed
I guess that’s how everything is

(Spring Day, BTS)

 

 

"Should I just go back?"

 

The day is about to end, but Jimin is still confused. 

 

Just last night, he received a phone call from Jungkook. It was a weird feeling -- hearing his deep voice again. He started off by calling Jimin by his old nickname "Chim Chim," followed by odd catch up questions: "How are you?" "Are you doing well?" 

Jungkook  reached greater heights since he left the dance company. Now, he's a professional dancer sought by plenty. Jimin sees him on the news, on music shows, magazines -- everywhere. But when they talkes, Jungkook's tone was the same. He wasn't some superstar; it was the Nochu Jimin loved. 

The entire conversation was a mix of strange and nostalgic familiarity. When he called, Jimin had already forgiven Jungkook, but was not entirely sure of his feelings upon hearing the latter's voice. He didn't even know why his ex called in the first place. 

"I miss you."

Until that part.

Jimin didn't speak for a good minute. It was all too sudden. He needed an explanation, which Jungkook quickly provided.

"I...I know I'm an idiot, Jimin-ah," he admitted, "I was...young and blinded, I guess. I thought I knew what was best for us. I didn't want to drag you along when I wasn't sure where I was going." On the phone, Jimin heard Jungkook's voice crack. The sound of silence echoed feelings of regret from the younger boy's side as he continued, explaining himself. 

"I hurt you, I know that," he said, "I'm sorry, Jimin."

"Is that why you called?"

"I told you already: I miss you."

It was all too sudden for Jimin and Jungkook understood. The younger boy revealed that leaving was the biggest mistake he did.

"I have the fame, but I don't have you."

"Jungkook."

Another silence.

"I know it's a long shot," said the younger one, "But...can I see you tomorrow?"

"Why?"

"I want to."

 

Jimin sits under the cherry blossoms, looking at his watch. It has been hours.

It's not going to happen, is it?

Defeated, he stands up and brushes the dirt off his pants, sighing wistfully. He silently beat himself for expecting the best. The idea that spring would actually grant his wish, it now seems crazy to Jimin.

He proceeds down the path, when he hears a voice.

 

"JIMIN-AH!"

 

Jimin stops in his tracks as he hears someone running behind him. The sound of a tired wheezing, leaves rustling and finally -- that familiar voice.

He turns around and sees a tall figure holding his knees, catching his breath.

 

When he looks up, Jimin realizes Kim Taehyung is no longer a boy. Standing up, Jimin sees how much he has grown. 

 

His hair is no longer pitch black; it's stuck up and the color of flaxen straw. The roundness of childhood is gone, replaced by the sharp features of a man. Underneath that honey-tanned grown up, however, is the same boy who loved him. 

Jimin checked his watch. 

It was 4 o' clock.

"I'm so sorry..." apologizes Taehyung, "I've been here for a year and I still got lost. God, Jimin. I'm sorry."

 

His best friend moving to the big city was a big surprise; when it happened, Jimin couldn't believe his eyes. He was on his way to dance practice when he bumped into a tall figure wearing glasses. When they exchanged apologies, he figured the husky voice was too familiar. Once the man put his glasses on, recognition settled between the two boys. 

The first words out of Taehyung's mouth after years of silence: "It's you."

 

"So why did you want me to go here again?" he asks.

Jimin tries not to look sheepish (although he knew he did). Behind his back, he produces a pair of brand new sneakers and presents it to Taehyung. 

"Wait, what?" asks Taehyung, "What's with the shoes?"

"Payback."

Immediately, his best friend gets it.

"Aisht, Jiminnie, didn't I tell you that you don't have to?" complains Taehyung, "You needed those shoes."

 

True, Jimin didn't expect that his shoes would give up on him thirty minutes before a performance. Without thinking, he sent an urgent text to Taehyung about his dilemma, forgetting that his best friend was part of the audience and had no way of getting him a new pair.

To his surprise, Taehyung appeared backstage, barefoot and offering his pair.

"What? No, I'm not going to take it," Jimin said.

"C'mon, you don't have the time to be picky," insisted Taehyung, shoving the shoes, "Take it."

"Taehyung-ah--"

"Just take it."

He left the shoes and walked away wearing nothing. During the performance, Jimin saw Taehyung smiling, jumping up and down like a kid. He wore no shoes, but that didn't stop him from bopping his head like an idiot. 

It gave Jimin the boost he needed.

 

"But I broke them," he reasons to Taehyung, "Take these. It'll make me feel better."

"Ah Jimin."

"Please?"

Taehyung gazes at him, raising a thick eyebrow. Eventually, he heaved a sigh and took the shoes. 

"Fine," he says in defeat, "You've always been stubborn." He checks out the shoes and makes comments on how it could be too small for him. Jimin doesn't mind, however, because he's too busy staring at Taehyung's profile. 

 

Never in his wildest dreams did he think that their friendship would be restored. During Taehyung's first week in the city, Jimin was all jumpy -- wondering if he should call or something. Both boys were too astounded at each other (and Jimin was in such a hurry) that they just gave each other's number and bid their goodbyes. For a while, Jimin struggled with himself, looking at the phone. 

One day, it rang. 

When he answered, a familiar husky voice called out his name.

"Crazy, huh?" said Kim Taehyung. 

 

And that was the beginning of another chapter.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter