By My Side

Me and Sunshine

Flashback.

“What’s your name?” A little girl turn to the boy next to her. He turns around and meet her eyes. “Hanbin,…” He answers then slowly continues. “Kim Haebit, as in sunshine, a ray of sunshine.” The little girl answers and begin. “ Do you want to be friend?”

 

“Do you want to be friend?” “Do you want to be friend?”

 

“Hey, press the button will you?” The women behind me yells which wake me up from the flashback that I have. I low my head gesture for apologize then press the elevator button. I remember when Haebit moved to our neighborhood, everyone talk about them because they lived in the upper neighborhood where Haebit’s mother family was very rich, but her dad was just only their garden worker. They happen to fell in love and her mother agree to move out of her family despite the fact that she will loose her good life. Haebit’s dad is very quiet, but he is a very good man, he never let Haebit’s mom endures any hardship and just like how he precious his little girl so much. I remember how my mom usually tell my dad to be like him, and telling me to grow up and be a good man like him.

 

 

 

From far away, I saw haebit’s parent, they look very tired and worn out.

“Hello.” I say as I approach them, her mom smile a bit then hold on to Haebit’s dad arm, but he stands up from his seat and say. “Let’s have a talk.” Then he walks out. Haebit’s mom look at her husband for awhile and say. “Hanbin-ah, it kinds of tough on him right now, if he says something not right, I’m sorry on his behave.” I shake my head and smile a bit, then follow Haebit’s dad.

 

“Stop seeing her.” He begins boldly, I quiet and wait for him to finish. “I don’t want her to go through something like this again. Because obviously, you can’t… and you …” His voice sound distance and seem like he can find his word to finish it.

“Mrs. Kim, for what happen today, …. I was afraid, she was not like this, we all know that she fragile but… the thought of her having cancer is unreal.” A sharp look from his eyes hit me. People in the neighborhood always compliment on how good looking Haebit’s father is, but right now in front of me. All I could see is an old man, that seem tired and hurt, he always quiet but now it beyond the normal of him. He looks at me and sign. “It been 12 years since we moved here,… I always think of you as my kid, my Haebit… she not feeling well and if anything happen… me and my wife have ready for it…We don’t want you to get hurt.” His eyes become sadden, he lost his word.

“If it likes that then we should be ready together, I love your daughter, if it not her, I don’t know who.” I confess to him, once again he looks at me but this time his eyes are more soften.

“She wakes up.” A woman voice call out, as both of us look back, it is Haebit’s mom. We both nod and head inside the hospital. I wait outside as the parents come in the patient room. It not very long later, Haebit’s dad come back out and say. “Come in, I think you want to see her too.”

I nod and say thank to her dad, then make my way to the room, but then my feet become heavier as I make my way near the door entrance. The sound of her mom crying, and the machine keep on running, it just ached my hear, I take a look at her father, but he just carefully sign again as he looks at his wife. I wait for a bit then come in, different from a Haebit that usually running and talking, she just quietly laying on the bed with her eyes look at me. I walk closer and hold her hand, people usually say I will be a great writer when I graduate because I have great imagination, but then all of it, is from her. I dream to hold her hand, and walk her home, we will sure to have a happy ending, but then this is reality.

“Finally.” A small voice wake me up, I look over, Haebit is smiling. “What?” I ask as I sit down on the chair next to her bed. 

“The second item on my list.” She says while holding my hand tighter. I smile then continue. “What is the next one?” 

“Secret.” She says then continues. “It scary, wasn’t it?” I look up to her question, but then she continues. “To see me cover in blood?” We both stare into each other eyes, then I smile and say. “A little.”

“But I was more worry about you.” I finish my sentence and look at her. “I am very curious about you wishlist, can’t see it?” I ask her.

“No you can’t.” She smiles and answers. 

“Well, I guess you have to have a lot of rest, so we can do all kind of thing together?” I say as we both smile and she closes her eyes, I carefully pat her head and get her back to rest.

After a few days in the hospital, of course Haebit would hate it and beg to be back home. The doctors let her rest at home, however, everything is under her parent control, include coming to school, she doesn’t say no to idea, but instead she just agree with her parents. I was a little strange for me to see her behave like that, but then it also feel good to have her back.

 

“Ok, I will be back at 2.” I stand up and put the disk into the sink, then continues. “Thank you for the breakfast.” In return, Haebit’s mom smile and say. “You come here everyday to make her happy, I should be the one who say thank to you.” I smile and shake my head, but then Haebit pull my sleeve. “Do you have to go?” I look at her and answer. “Yes, you know Professor Kim, she hates people skipping.” She pouts a little bit then continues. “But it bores to be home alone.” I smile and pat her head. “It only for a bit, I will be back.” Then Haebit’s mom stop her from speaking again. “Haebit-ah, let’s Hanbin goes to school. Is it not right to do that?” Haebit nod then continues. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t be like this.” She smile once again and wave, then continues. “I will wait for you to comeback.”

I make my way out of the house and saw her dad, I say goodbye then make my way to school. 

End Hanbin’s POV

 

Back to the house.

“Haebit-ah, I have to go for grocery, you can stay here a little bit right?” Haebit’s mom leave the house after hearing her daughter answer. 

“ What could possibly happen if I die?” Haebit talks to herself, then sit up from the bed and take out her notebook, she was deep in thought until she hears someone open the door.”That was quick, do you forget something?” She yells with the thought that was her mom. But no one has answer so turn around in which surprise her.

“Hanbin?” She asks in surprise. “Do you forget something? Why are you here?” He shakes his head then sit by her bed. “I found some good movie, wanna watch with me?”

Just like that the two make themselves comfy in Haebit’s bed, “What’s movie is this?” She asks and Hanbin shows her the label which is P.S I Love You. They slide it in the old DVD that Haebit have and begin the movie.

After half of the movie have been play, Haebit could not sit still anymore, instead she keeps looking back and fort, between the movie and Hanbin, then she stand up and walk pass Hanbin. “Where are you going?”

“I’m thirsty.” Then she walks out of the room, after a few second she walk back into her room and look at Hanbin. “Do you like me or the movie more?” 

“Of course, I like …. wait what?” Hanbin asks in confusion, but still answer anyway. “Of course you.” Then he goes back to the movie which make the girl stand by the door more angry. “Stupid.” She murmur and wake over to Hanbin place which block his view of the movie. “Yah.” The boy who still clueless of what going on, as he about to continues his sentence, Haebit now make herself sit on top of him, while she lower her head  to meet Hanbin eyes level. “You really stupid, now I have to do it myself.” And before Hanbin could ask, Haebit moves her head closer and closer, until their lip touch. Her forehead rest against his while her hand travel to his neck. And Hanbin is frozen on his seat, it likes a tease, it not very innocent but passionate and fiery. He kisses her back while one of his hand rest below her ear and the other hand pull Haebit closer. In a moment they thought the world have stop, it was only two of them, they become fearless and become one.

“You do this before?” Habit broke the kiss and ask, Hanbin shakes his head then continues. “This might be weird, but I got it all practice in my head with you.” Haebit laughs at Hanbin comment and say. “Then why don’t you kiss me?” Hanbin scratch his neck, and say. “I wasn’t sure if you ok with it, but you should have ask?” 

“Oh yeah definitely, I should be like boyfriend can you please kiss me.” Haebit answers in sarcastic way in which make Hanbin laughs and say. “Can I ask you something?”

Haebit nod.

“May I kiss you again?” Haebit then laugh louder as she kisses his nose then pulls him into a hug. “Of course.”