Maple Leaf

Me and Sunshine

Author’s POV

“What are you up so early today?” A lady in her late thirty walk in, instead of answering Haebit just look at her and smile, then she closes the notebook in front of her.

“I need to dress up because me and Hanbin has a date today after school.” She then stands up and walk to her closet. “Are you feeling fine, sweetheart?” The girl turn around and look at her mom. “Yes, I am. What’s wrong?” Haebit’s mom just shake her head and smile. “You just look kind of bale today.” 

“Do I? I’m feeling fine mom, don't worry.” Haebit smile again to ensure her mom and continues. “Don’t you need to take Haejun to school?”

“No, since he asks to walk with his friend to school today.” Haebit’s mom stand up and head out the room. “Call us, if you’re not feeling well. Don't be afraid to ask the professor either, because I have talk with the principal.” After finish the sentences, she then head out.

“Mom, do I look pretty?” Haebit ask as she running down from the stair. Her mom just smile and nod. “Where is dad?” Haebit asks. “He is watering the plant outside.” Just like that, Haebit’s dad walks in and say. “Hanbin is here.” Haebit nod and ask her dad. “Do I look pretty?” 

“This child, when will you grow up. Head out the house now or you will be late for class.” Her dad smile and says.

“I know, now goodbye. I love you so much.” Haebit finishes her sentence and run out the house. 

“Haebit calls your dad if you not feeling well, you hear me.” Her mom repeated and Haebit nods and close the door.

End Author’s POV.

 

Hanbin’s POV

“Why you wear dress today?” I ask as I sees Haebit walk out with a white dress, then I continues. “It colds, go in and put on something warm.” Haebit looks at me in annoying way. “It summer dude and it warm enough even when I don't put on cloth. Beside, do you know what my concept is day?” I smile and answer. “You are not Lieutenant Yoon (aka dots ), so are you an angel?” Haebit crack up. “Aigoo this person, not angel, but instead my concept is a ghost.” 

“Nah you are an angel to me.” I pat Haebit head. “Maybe you’re right. A young sprit will become an angel when they die.” Haebit finishes her sentence then sit on the bicycle. “Promise me, don’t say those word ever again.” I stop moving for a little bit. “Yes, yes, now please go or we might be late.” Haebit hit my arm. 

As we arrived in front of the building, I clock the bicycle and look at Haebit. “Meet me after class, ok?” Haebit nods and walk happily inside the building. I smile a bit then walk over to my class. As I make my way into the class, my friend Bobby greet me. “Looking fresh man.” I smiles and answers. “I have a date with her today.” Bobby nods and says. “Everybody has a girlfriend now, except for me. Even Chanwoo has a girlfriend.” I surprise as I hear Bobby says. “Who? How come I didn’t know?” Bobby shakes his head. “What can you possibly know when you also have a girlfriend yourself? You forgot all of your friend already, anyway, I think she has the same class with Haebit.” I nods again and take our my notebook prepare for the class. 

The class has started for almost 10 minutes, but we haven’t see Chanwoo yet, so I turns around and ask. “He skips class?” Bobby shakes his head signaling that he don’t know. But then suddenly the door of swing open, as Chanwoo rush himself into the class. “Hanbin….” Chanwoo catches his breath as calling out my name. The boy reaches me and hold on to my shoulder. “Haebit… she…collapse.”

“What?” I stands up and make my way out the class. As I reach to the building, I noticed that everybody is standing outside the class while curiously looking into the class. I rush to the door and push everyone, the first thing that hit my eyes is her, laying on the floor, blood streaming out of her nose, while the school’s nurse is also beside her. I stand there frozen in my place and looking at her.

I scare and also confuse at the same time, the thought of her having cancer is unreal, it been two week but I still could not believe it. I used to imaging that my life and her life somehow will intermingle. I wants to start a life with her and grow old with her, somehow we would walk side by side in the road, and I will give her a maple leaf as a promise that we will have a happy ending. But some how is all scattering. Suddenly, someone pushes me out the way and rushes toward Haebit. 

“The ambulance is waiting outside, they will come in right now, thank you for contacting me right away.” This voice is no one but other than Haebit’s dad. Then, the medic also come in and carry Haebit out. For a moment, I saw her looking at me, more like staring, then her eyes filled with tears, my heart aches. Her dad push me out of the way and make their way out of the school. I run after them to the school gate,I want to go with them but then as I saw her dad holding her in his arm, she whisper something, then she cries. Her dad just angry curse but then hold her tighter in his arm like he trying to revenge someone from seeing her. Then the ambulance door close. 

 End Hanbin’s POV.

Author’s POV.

“Dad, can you cover me? I don’t want him to be scared.” Haebit voice cracks as she holding on to her dad t-shirt, but tears keep streaming down, the blood from her nose not only stain her white dress but also her dad t-shirt. Her dad look at her for a second then quietly curse out, but still holding her tighter as the door close.

“Please, let’s me take all of this pain, she so small and precious.” Her dad break down, he scare and afraid that one day, his precious daughter will leave this world. Her dream, her goal, and her future, he wants his daughter to be happy. “Please, please, God, If you can, please listen to my wish.”

“It not painful at all, I’m ok, dad.” A weak, trembling voice speak up. “You don’t have to take the pain for me.” Haebit’s dad quietly sobbing and holding his daughter tighter.

 

People say that somehow there is hope in this life, and we all are trying to search for it, it could be in the darkest place, weakest place, or it could be right there in front of our eyes. We just have to believe, because it the first step of everything.

 

End Author’s POV

 

Character:

Kim Soro aka Haebit’s dad

Lee ll Hwa aka Haebit’s mom.