Foolishly Fearless

Seoul City
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For a couple prolonged moments, Jungkook blankly sat there, shell-shocked. He couldn’t believe the amount of trouble Chaeyoung was constantly entangled in and he definitely couldn’t believe he cared as much as he did. When the seriousness of the situation finally dawned on him, he sprung to his feet and ran to his suitcase, slamming it on the table and hastily opening it. Papers and folders started flying everywhere as Jungkook rummaged through the case, his panic growing exponentially by the second. He remembered placing the napkin with Chaeyoung’s number in his suitcase with the vintage record and he needed to find it quickly to warn her about the danger she was in.

After a couple minutes of searching and endless cursing, he finally found the napkin. His fingers rapidly dialed the digits and he practically held his breath as he waited for her to pick up, each ring sounding torturously long.

“Hello?” Chaeyoung answered after a couple minutes, causing Jungkook to sigh in relief.

“Hi, it’s Jungkook.”

“Jungkook? Sorry, I’m at work right now so I can’t talk. Can you call back later?” Chaeyoung asked, sounding like she was about to hang up.

“No! Listen, Chaeyoung, this is an emergency-“ Jungkook tried to explain.

“Look, if this is about the date-“ she interrupted, causing Jungkook to groan in frustration.

“It’s not about the ing date!” Jungkook shouted, making the Phoenixes turn to him, startled. He lowered his voice and tried to regain his composure to explain, “Look, you need to get out of that HIV clinic right now.”

“What? Jungkook, how do you even know where I am?”

“That doesn’t matter. Listen to me Chaeyoung, someone has placed a bomb in that clinic and it’s about to blow up in 30 minutes,” he explained.

“Oh my God,” Chaeyoung gasped, “are you sure?”

“No, I made all this up because I have nothing better to do,” Jungkook answered sarcastically, “Of course I’m sure, now get the hell out!” he raised his voice again in frustration.

“Okay no need to shout, jeez. I’ll try and get everyone out of the building as soon as possible. Did you already call the police?” Chaeyoung asked.

“No. Whatever you do, don’t call the police. I’m coming,” Jungkook said and hung up promptly.

Of course, Chaeyoung was going to try and save everyone else before herself. ‘As expected of the kind and generous nurse Chaeyoung’ Jungkook thought bitterly. Although in most cases, Jungkook would have found her selflessness admirable, in this situation he thought she was stupid as hell. If she wasn’t going to save herself, he needed to go and do it for her.

He grabbed his motorcycle keys and ran for the door, causing s to stare at his retreating figure in confusion.

“Jungkook, where are you going? We haven’t finalized the plan yet!” Jin exclaimed as Jungkook reached the door.

“We don’t have time! I’ll go first, you guys can come later with the entire rescue team,” Jungkook ordered over his shoulder before sprinting out the door.

~*~

“No. Whatever you do, don’t call the police. I’m coming,” Jungkook ordered, the line beeping immediately after.

“Hello? Helloooo?” Chaeyoung asked, feeling offended that Jungkook hung up on her so suddenly. Especially after making such a ridiculous statement like ‘don’t call the police’ and justifying it with ‘I’m coming’. ‘As if one man can make up for an entire police division’ Chaeyoung thought sarcastically.

Nevertheless, she decided to trust him in this instance and refrained from calling the police. Instead, she pulled the fire alarm and made an announcement over the intercom for everyone to leave the premises. Thankfully, most of the residents were awake well enough at the time to exit the building. Chaeyoung’s main concern was evacuating the children from the clinic’s attached daycare, which she managed to do successfully with the help of her coworkers. Within a couple minutes, the building was nearly empty. She’d taken care of the people, but, she was counting on Jungkook to have a well-thought out plan that would save the clinic she loved so much.

To Chaeyoung’s surprise, Jungkook arrived before the firefighters did. She was still in the building, gathering some last-minute medical supplies and personal belongings she knew the residents would have wanted.

He barged into the storage closet she was in around 8:30 pm and gave her the most exasperated look she had ever seen.

“Why are you still in the building?” He asked furiously.

“I was just grabbing some last minute supplies-“ Chaeyoung replied innocently.

“Do you have a ing death wish or something?” He glared at her, grabbing her wrist tightly and dragging her out of the closet, “what part of there’s a ing bomb in the building don’t you understand?”

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes, but allowed him to take her outside. They joined the group of patients and children who were huddled around each other, at a safe distance from the building. Chaeyoung gave them some warm blankets and handed out water bottles to everyone. She had even grabbed some of the children’s favourite toys and distributed it to them, earning big hugs and smiles as a reward. Chaeyoung had to hold back her tears as she thought about how devastated she would’ve been to lose these precious people. Even though she was experiencing her own emotional rollercoaster, she still provided comfort and support to everyone else, giving them hugs and ensuring them that everything would be okay.

When she stood by Jungkook again, she caught him looking at her with a st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter