part iii.

hazy day

Sicheng spent the next two days in his room (at home because it’s the weekends) with the scene that night replaying in his head non-stop. He ran without looking back, but he knew Yuta was left there maybe and hopefully devastated, but confused without a doubt.

And he was right. Yuta spent the next two days coming up with reasons why Sicheng decided to just leave him there at the bus stop. He clearly had something to say but he just ran away. No goodbyes, no ‘see you’, nothing. Yuta spent nights thinking if he did anything wrong, and almost had mental breakdowns because of it. Did he unconsciously flirt with others? Did he forget their friendship anniversary? Did he forget to wish Sicheng’s hamster happy birthday? He racked his brains and couldn’t find any faults in their friendship.

No faults in their friendship. Except for the fact that he is head over heels for Sicheng. Did he find out?

 

The sun rose like any other day, the clouds still stayed high up in the sky and students made their way to school, just like any other weekday. The mood was slightly better than usual however, because today marks the last week of the semester. Everyone was feeling a little happier and more relaxed, the atmosphere was rather healing. Chatters about summer break plans could be heard in all corners of the school, except from two.

Sicheng made no move to apologize to Yuta for that evening and Yuta made no move to ask what happened either. They were both too afraid of each other’s answer, too afraid to break their fragile friendship.

Fragile, yes. They trust each other enough to have heart-to-heart talks often, they probably know each other more than they know themselves. Yet there is still a hint of vulnerability in their friendship; small insignificant things are enough to smash the bond into pieces. And one of it, would be their thought of love for each other.

A kind of love that is not very accepted by others, a kind of love that is rare and a kind of love that only they understand. They know they are caring about each other more than how friends should, no matter how close. And because Sicheng spent two nights thinking about this fact from his point of view, he decided to just ignore Yuta until he figures something out.

But there was no way Yuta was going to let that happen. After two days of zero contact with Sicheng, he was going bonkers. He decided to talk to Sicheng during lunch, whether he would agree or not.

And so lunch came after the longest 3 hours Yuta experienced and he bolted to the dance room, exactly where Sicheng should be at since his dancing lessons are before lunch on Mondays. Yuta barged into the room without notice only to meet eyes with the dance instructor, smiling kindly at him since she had seen Yuta waiting for Sicheng to finish his classes rather often. Yuta flashed a small smile, flustered at the sight of an empty room.

“Excuse me, do you happen to know where is Sicheng?”

“Sicheng? He left as soon as class started, he looked very pale and sickly so i sent him to the nurse’s office immediately.”

It took Yuta a good 7 seconds to comprehend the information.

“But,” she said while grinning. “He’s probably still in there. Knowing him, he wouldn’t have gone home despite feeling so sick and he is probably finding some way to sneak out of the nurse’s office to get today’s menu. I think he’ll need some help with that.”

Today’s menu? Yuta stood in silence as the dance instructor took her leave, trying very hard to recall the menu he saw when he walked past the cafeteria this morning.

Ah, spicy rice cakes. Of course Sicheng would risk sneaking out for it.

 

At the other end of the school was a Dong Sicheng walking out of the cafeteria with a plate of spicy rice cakes and two forks. He walked towards the garden that was out-of-bounds but he knew a way in. After squeezing through an artificial bush with much difficulty, he took his time to walk towards the table-set that was only meant for display.  Then he looked up and met eyes with the person he least expected to see.

“Hey Sicheng! I should’ve known there was another way in here. I almost tore my skirt by climbing over the fence. I wasn’t wearing any safety shorts either… if any guys took photos somehow and blackmails me you’re responsible for it!!!”

Sicheng squinted his eyes and subtly glared at the girl in front of him. She batted her long eyelashes flirtily and smiled her widest. She took steps forward and Sicheng just continued to look at her with suspicious glints that could clearly be seen in his eyes. What the hell was Yoo Jiae doing? More importantly, what was she doing in that garden? How in the world..?! Sicheng knew nothing about her except her annoying high-pitched voice and ego, and that she’s in his philosophy class. Before Jiae could get a reply from the confused boy in front of her, she quickly went straight to the point of why she was looking for him.

“Hook me up with Yuta. I want to go on a date with him.”

 

 

hello!! just to let u guys know that i've posted this story on my ao3 account as well ^-^ anyway i don't know when i'll be able to continue this again because school starts in 2 weeks and i have a load of homework to do ;__; i'll try my best to multitask!! until then~