4: 1st Group Challenge - Teammates

PEACH & OngRANGE

[Sorry for taking so long to update ><, school is killing me (╥﹏╥) but don't worry I won't drop this xD It might take some time but I would definitely complete this :’3]

 

1st Group Challenge - Teammates

 

05:00AM - Dormitory

 

 “Oneul bam juingongeun naya na naya na
Neomaneul gidaryeo on naya na naya na…” The most annoying and horrifically overplayed song sounded through the halls of the dormitory; almost like it is screaming into the trainees ears’ to face their first test of fate.

 

 Seongwoo yawned as he stretched oh that feels good. After stretching his arms out, he dropped it to his bed, only to get get startled because what his hands landed on isn't his mattress, as he expected, but something warm and fluffy. And pink. Why is he here? Seongwoo thought to himself. Then he realised; he volunteered to share the room with Daniel yesterday. Well it's fine I guess? I slept so well too, for some reason. Seongwoo thought (It's more than just fine to us right?;D)

 

05:20AM - Dormitory Public Toilet

 

 “BOO!” The energetic voice of Haknyeon isn't exactly the best thing to wake up to, especially on an early day like this. “So, how was your night lolol with Daniel hyung?” He asked while doing the eyebrow thing sarcastically. “More amazing than yours~” He joked seriously (oxymoronic but that's his specialty) and winked back to the confused and unsuspecting poor boy whose face was now flushed pink.

 

 Seongwoo hurriedly proceeded to take a quick shower and brush his teeth before heading back to his room. There was only 10minute before the meeting time (today was especially early) and everyone is in a rush since the producers are extremely strict when it comes to punctuality and late comers would have to face dire consequences.

 

5.40AM - Seongwoo’s Room

 

 Seongwoo quickly removed his pyjamas and was about to change into his pink ‘A’ rank pullover and a fresh pair of sweatpants as he had forgotten to bring it to the toilet to change into. At that moment he saw a shuffling movement on his bed from his peripheral view, that's weird he was pretty sure there was nobody in the room when he slightly glanced around as he was running into the room. OH MY GOD! He exclaimed when he noticed that familiar tousled (fur?) hair peeking out from what looks like a pile of blankets.

 

 “WAKE UP KANG DANIEL!!! We need to gather in ten minutes! How did you even manage to sleep through that damn alarm? My god…” Seongwoo shouted as he tried to shake Daniel awake. The latter rubbed his eyes sluggishly and stared at the older one’s bare torso with a undoubtably sleepy voice, “Seongwoo… I think you should join me... for upper body training in the future, trust me, abs are never out of season hahaha...”

 

 “What the hell are you talking? We need to GATHER in TEN MINUTES at the lobby for attendance taking! Today is the start of the grouping for first evaluation, remember?” Seongwoo grouches as he emphasised on the keywords because he knew half of Daniel’s soul is still in Dreamland.

 

 Daniel blinked and thought for awhile as reality started to set in. He jumped right up and cursed ! There was no time for personal hygiene, and all Daniel had time for was changing into his attire and popping a sugar-free mint in hopes for a fresh breath. The two had to sprint down and they just barely made it in time. With two minutes to spare.

 

5:48AM - Lobby

 

 Finally, it was the day to film the grouping of the first assignment - group challenge. It was exciting because the trainees are finally able to showcase the skills and talents that they have been training so hard for. However, it is also extremely nerve-wracking because they have to make sure that they choose their group members and song choice wisely, so they can appeal the best to national producers.

 

 The staffs began taking attendance the moment the clock struck 5:50AM. There was not even a second of delay. One trainee ran in at 5:52AM (just 2 minutes late) and had to beg for forgiveness even though he insisted that it was because he had a tummy-ache and he really couldn't leave the toilet. However since there wasn't anyone who could testify for him; his roommate included, he was punished with major demerit points and would also be the last of all trainees (regardless of ranks) to get breakfast that day. Since the meals were always prepared to cater for the exact population, being the last means that he will barely get anything. If he even managed to get a scoop of plain rice, he is considered lucky. Produce 101’s strictness is not a joke.

 

6.10AM - Recording Hall

 

 After attendance-taking, the trainees are guided into the recording hall, where they have to stand in rows according to their ranks. From ‘A’ at the front to ‘F’ at the back. After everyone settled down, Boa walked to the front and greeted everyone and announced that the team forming would commence today. All trainees cheered excitedly, but are all secretly really nervous about how the groups would be formed. Would it be by the producer’s votes? Random and completely out of luck?

 

 “Do you have any idea who will get to choose his group first?” Boa asked. Everyone look at each other. Some shrugged while others started calling out names of other trainees. “Who is the center for Nayana?” Boa asked again, though rather than wanting to know, she was just letting the 98 trainees realise by themselves who would be the first to chose. “Lee Daehwi!” they cheered together in unison. Some tried to do last-minute boot , others tried to mekong eye contact with him.

 

 Daehwi went forward with surprise written all over his face, however, when it comes to choosing, he wasted no time. He knew exactly who he wanted to create his ‘Avengers’ Team just like the previous season. The team consists of the most popular members. Either ones that had an existing fandom, or went viral. And obviously, those last-minute bootlickers didn't make it!

 

 Seongwoo felt a little dissapointed when he saw Daehwi pick ‘A’ ranked members without choosing him. Afterall, he thought he did pretty well in the audition, well at least enough to impress the others? However if he had to be honest, it was pretty obvious because even though Seongwoo might be one of the most sociable contestants, ‘A’ graded trainers are extremely cautious and are not willing to befriend easily; especially someone as outspoken as Seongwoo, therefore he wasn't really close to anyone initially, with the exception of Samuel.

 

 Soon, the first team selection is completed. The other trainees waited on with half of their souls left as most of the popular ones are grouped together. Making that team seem invincible. “Daehwi, pick a ball and the trainees whose name is on the ball would get to choose his team mates next.” Boa announced through the microphone.

 

 Since Daehwi has chosen the members he wanted to achieve his ‘Avengers’ Team, he had no worries about competition with whoever he might pick out. He picked a ball randomly and handed it over to Boa as she mentioned the lucky person. “Hwang Minhyun”

 

 Minhyun walked swiftly to the front, excited about his opportunity, yet still calm and  composed as the cool guy he has always been. Within the few seconds he got, to strategize and scour through the 90 expectant faces. His first pick, Kim Jaehwan fills the spot for main vocal. Seongwoo’s heartbeat started to increase a little as he anticipated the next one to be called. What's this nervous feeling? Is it a sign that he would be the next one?

 

 “A-rank trainee…” Minhyun started, “Kang Daniel!” Seongwoo immediately turned towards Daniel to congratulate him, only to see Daniel already looking at him, gleaming with the brightest and most tender looking smile. Seongwoo grins back, raising his thumbs as his heart clenches just a little just like how it always does when he sees puppies.

 

 “F-rank Kwon Hyun Bin trainee” Minhyun continues. Oh ! there's only 2 spots left!!! Seongwoo grimaces. I really want to get in this team! (Let's guess why together~ :P Just kidding)

 

 It was as if his fairy godmother or fairy godfather in this case heard him and decided to call him next. “A-rank Ong Seong Woo Trainee” Seongwoo did a little jump of joy and quickly joined his new team, exchanging gratitude with a nod of head towards his fairy god -mother- father, Minhyun. And an even brighter one to his closest friend in the competition.

 

 Finally the last member of the team is called. Pledis trainee Kim Jonghyun is the chosen final member of this team. All the members felt great about this arrangement and started to get to know each other the moment they are allowed to. Seems like they are off to a great start!

 

6.45AM - Recording Hall

 

 “Cut!” the director called out. The filming for the group assignment is now complete. “Take 5!” He calls out subsequently. The first segment has ended filming. All contestants are given a brief 10 minutes break. Most of them went to meet their friends or touch up on their makeup, while some of them rush to the vending machines to get a can of coffee. Hopefully to make them more awake mentally and physically.

 

 “YAY! We’re in the same team” Seongwoo exclaimed as he plops his arm over Daniel’s -6000cm- shoulders. “sigh… the one I wanted least to be in my group ends up being in my group…” Daniel sighed, very obviously joking. That led Seongwoo to comeback with, “I feel you bro hehe, because if I were you I would be so intimidated to have THE Ong Seongwoo in my team. Damn! I will try not to steal all your fangirls okay?” He winked, earning a (gentle) fist on his abdomen instantaneously by a peach who couldn't stop laughing at his hyung’s nonsensical but witty lines. If only there is a way to make Seongwoo lose his composture, or even better. To see him flustered. It must be a funny sight! Daniel wondered, as he chuckled softly to himself. He just could not imagine his hyung being any less shameless.

 

6.55AM - Recording Hall

 

 Filming had recommenced and the trainees are all sitting in their groups discussing about the role assignments. They would have to choose their leader, center, main and sub roles. Each group has their own way of choosing, whether it was through demonstration of talents or popularity votes, however one common thought of all trainees was that secret hope to get pointed out as a deserving candidate for the center position, instead of having to volunteer themselves (kind of embarrassing).

 

 Minhyun gathered his group and they decided together to vote for performing roles (Vocal, rap, dance) before the more problematic ones. The group sat together in a circle for the discussion in the order Minhyun-Jaehwan-Daniel-Seongwoo-Hyunbin-Jonghyun.* For the first 10 seconds it was absolutely quiet, an unavoidable awkwardness filled the air temporarily. Seongwoo decided to break the ice by making a joke. “Guys can we change seats? I can’t sit beside someone who said he hates being in the same group as me!” Seongwoo playfully pouts and points at Daniel who was sitting beside him. “Ya Hyung! You knew I was just kidding!” The unfortunate (and real) victim of the pretend-victim retaliates. The atmosphere lightens immediately as the members laugh at the two silly men.

 

 They managed to vote on all of their performance roles and it is finally time for choosing their leader and center. They signalled to the producing crew as they were asked and had to split into a semicircle seating arrangement for filming.

 

 “Who would be the leader?” Minhyun asks. Seongwoo then recommended Jonghyun, with Minhyun agreeing completely. The whole team came to a clean agreement to be under Jonhyun’s guidance. Jonghyun was originally slightly doubtful because he had lost his confidence of being a leader after people kept commenting that Nu’est came to the show only because they are a ‘flop’ and he feels completely responsible for it. Poor Jr… However, thanks to the group members’ assurance and belief in him, he eventually accepts it.

 

 Now, it is the time to choose the center. In other groups, everyone is busy pushing themselves to be the center. Proving that they can do a better job than everyone else would also mean the start of a rocky journey. In this group however, there was no need for any arguments as the members voted for others instead of themselves. Hyunbin started by recommending Seongwoo and Daniel, because he feels that their manly look suits the concept of ‘Sorry Sorry’ very well. Daniel was shocked and flattered at the same time but he immediately recommends Seongwoo instead. Eventually, the team voted for Seongwoo unanimously. “I've been told I have a face which people feel sorry for,” Seongwoo joked once again, to which all members can't stop laughing. This hyung really… kekeke…  

 

8.00AM - Canteen

 

 It was breakfast time finally! The newly-assigned group members decided to have breakfast together instead of their friends to have an additional bonding time.

 

 

[ To Be Continued ]




 

*: if you rewatched, you will see what i'm talking about hehehe~

Note: This update is quite a long one >< (for me at least) and I felt the need to make it long because i haven't updates in such a long time ;-; I'm still extremely sorry about it :( Please let me know what you thought about it hehe and whether you prefer more frequent updates with short chapters or longer updates with long chapters in the poll below^^ Thanks for reading~ Also, I haven’t had time to proofread so ignore my errors please!