Lee Jin

A Fairy's Tale

 

~

She had only been in the ladies room for a mere 10 minutes, hardly ¼ of the average time she usually spent in the washroom, before she felt the lights go dim.

“God, what is with these useless servants? Can they do nothing?” She inquired angrily, stomping her foot down as any other spoilt little girl would. In the dim light, she took her mirror out once again and admired her beautifully set face. She fluttered her long lashes, and caught a speck of white powder on her otherwise raven black lashes. Wickedly, she thought about how she would punish the servant in charge of her makeup. She jumped when a voice called out of nowhere.

“Stare, stare into a mirror too long,

Turn, turn before you too, are gone.

Run, run, or the mirror devil will catch you,

See, see, the fairy songs notify me.”

The breathy voice chanted a song so terrible, so soul-shattering that she found herself cowering against the far wall, raising her small purse to cover her face. No matter what, she must die beautiful.

“Leave me alone!” She screamed, scratching at the air with her nicely made nails.

“You must have heard of this story somewhere,” The voice joked, laughing lightly in such a manner that it sent shivers down the backs of anybody else.

The happier the voice grew, the chillier the room seemed.

“You must have heard the story,” It repeated, and the girl found herself being hoisted onto her feet.

“No you haven’t? Then let me tell you.” The voice continued, not breaking stride.

The girl saw a shadowy figure, but it seemed like nothing more than herself in the mirror. Hell, why was she turning so pale?

“Every time you look into the mirror, the mirror takes a bit of your soul, my dear. Now tell me, how many times do you look into the mirror?”

She didn’t answer, but she glanced quickly at the door, waiting for a savior.

“The mirror never leaves you, does it? There is no spare second for anybody else, for it is all for yourself, for yourself to look in the mirror and admire your beauty. Is that not so?”

The young girl realized something; this voice asked questions with no intention of waiting for an answer; the voice already knew all the answers.

“But this is where I come along, my sweet little girl. You see, you made me. Every time you look into the mirror, you allow for your soul to be into it. In time, you created me, your soul’s mutation… the devil of your own soul. Now look me in the eye, and tell me you love me.” It laughed another spine-chilling laugh.

The girl found her hands trembling and she looked down into her reflection in the mirror. It was most certainly not her.

The person in the mirror had her face, and had her figure, but she was assured it wasn’t herself. First of all, it was wearing a black silk dress, a colour she would never wear, as it contrasted too sharply with her pale features. But the person in the mirror was smiling, a coy smile that she had never seen herself smile.

The person in the mirror was most definitely her, but most definitely not her. But then she realized that the voice was coming from person in the mirror.

“I am you. Don’t ever doubt that.” The voice said sneakily, reading her thoughts before she had the chance to process them herself.

“W-what do you want?” The girl asked, tears b at her clear eyes.

The person in the mirror smiled again, its eyes growing dark.

“I’m here to take you with me, of course, Jin my darling.”

Nobody had heard Jin’s scream, as by the time opened, it was too late. The mist had curled around her, and in its sharpened claws, she was dragged into the mirror.

~

Thanks for reading hehe :) Short chapter to introduce the characters!!!! Hope you enjoyed it XD

- ICEDCOFFEE