Final.

fate's gift
Please log in to read the full chapter

The hike up was peaceful. The greenery was calming to the eyes, and the musky smell was a nice change to the stench of smoke from cars and cigarettes. The sound of the dried leaves crunching beneath her feet was her favourite part of it all.

 

She glanced at the watch on her wrist with the worn out leather and slightly chipped off face. Eunhee was right on time. Sitting on a familiar flat piece of rock, the next few minutes were spent staring out at nothing in particular, absorbed in her own thoughts.

 

Jongin was a little out of breath. He got lost at one point, and panic overtook him for a moment. But here he was on top of the hill in one piece, slightly frazzled, but mostly very relieved. He was startled when he saw the back of a seated woman and immediately froze in his steps, his camera bag swaying slightly from the sudden movement.

 

A part of him screamed that it was a ghost that he was staring at, but the rational part of him smacked him at the back of his own head because what ghost wears a baby pink blouse and jeans. And were those Chuck Taylors on her feet? Okay. Definitely not a ghost. He shook his head a little at his own idiocy.

 

He tentatively walked closer, and got increasingly worried when this lady wasn't moving at all. Not wanting to scare her and potentially making her roll down the hill to her death, he cleared his throat in the gentlest way possible. "Uh," he was at a respectable distance from her, half scared, half unsure.

 

Eunhee jumped a little when she realised that someone else was here with her. She turned her head at first, and then spun her body around to face the intruder. The guy looked her age, brown locks, bronze skin, plump lips, and captivating eyes- handsome. He was definitely a head-turner, and she had to remind herself not to stare. Important thing was he didn't look like a potential predator, a defenceless prey in a secluded area was just perfect. But when he smiled she just knew he wasn’t a danger to her life. She stood up from the comfort of the rock and gave her own tiny one. "Hi," her tone soft, gentle, and cautious.

 

"Hey," he breathed it out and was quite embarrassed about it as he lowered his eyes. The thought of her being a ghost had floated away. "I'm just going to take a few pictures, if that's alright?" He had absolutely no idea why he was asking for permission when this was not private property. However she looked so familiar with the place, so one with it that he felt obligated to.

 

Her face scrunched up in confusion, as if can't believing he just asked her that. "Of course," she gestured wildly to the area and Jongin cracked a smile at that. If she was a ghost, she was a cute one. He nodded at her, and that was Eunhee's cue to go back to her little patch of comfort.

 

Jongin simply settled down on the grass behind her and took his camera out, a Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, and took a few test shots. Eunhee was no longer in a different world and was very aware of her surroundings, especially when the sound of the shutter going off was very unnatural in this setting.

 

But for some reason, she wasn't annoyed. It could be because of the man behind the camera who seemed very polite and courteous, or it could be her heart that was content with the sounds, with his presence.

 

Soon, the Sun started setting, steadily, and quickly if you weren't paying attention. Eunhee brought her knees to her chest and rested her head on them, sighing quietly. This was something she looked forward to every week. It was a simple luxury that not everyone could appreciate.

 

Jongin couldn't help but smile at his luck. The clouds weren't completely obstructing the Sun today, so he felt like the trip here paid off. The way the Sun enveloped the city in a blanket of a warm orange glow was magical. He had stood up from the grass and was now standing at the edge of the hill as he snapped away. Eunhee paid him no attention. It was only her, the Sun, and the city skyline.

 

Jongin took a step back to admire the sunset with his own two eyes. It was amazing. He turned to the side when he remembered that he wasn't alone, and was mesmerized by the dreamy expression that she wore. She didn't even notice his stare, and he was undeniably moved by the girl's huge appreciation for sunsets. He discreetly took a few shots of the other picturesque thing he had travelled here for, his eyes on the Sun, but his camera angled towards her, his finger clicking on the shutter several times.

 

He took more steps back, and this time he held his precious device properly, angled it, and before he took a shot, he stared at the sight he was looking at.

 

Jongin wasn't sure if that descending yolk in the sky that gave out orange hues, making her hair radiate in the most impossibly gorgeous way; or was it her that made the sunset more breath-taking than it actually was.

 

Click.

 

This time she turned back to look at him, her hair waving in the wind, her eyes still in a daze, just beautiful. Before she realised what he was doing, he clicked again, a smile slowly gracing his face as he watched her eyes widen. She didn't look angry, but there was pink starting to tint her cheeks.

 

He continued clicking the shutter, starting to chuckle when she climbed onto her feet and bounded over to him with an unconscious pout on her lips. "Hey, I really don't like to get my pictures taken," her voice firmer and louder than before. She was dead serious, and she was rather uncomfortable about the idea of a stranger having pictures of her in his camera.

 

Jongin tilted his head, and smiled cheekily. "But you're pretty." Scrunching her face was her thing, he realised.

 

"Well, I don't think so. Besides, I don't know you, and I don't know what you're going to do with the pictures of me."

 

The Sun setting behind her was forgotten.

 

"Photography is a hobby I picked up. I won't share the pictures I took of you if you don't want me to," he wanted to pat her shoulder in assurance but decided not to. "I promise, so don't worry about it, okay? I swear I'm a nice person," he held both his hands up as if surrendering. Eunhee stared at him as she mulled over his words. She couldn't detect a lie in his words, and she actually really wanted to trust him, perhaps make a new friend while she was at it.

 

She nodded slowly as if to convince herself. Jongin scratched his head at this situation he has never been in. Looking at the camera he cradled, she shyly asked, "Can I see them?" She pointed to the black thing he loved, and he looked at it as well and excitedly nodded.

 

Eunhee could already tell that he was passionate about photography from the way his eyes shone. She scooted closer to him on the grass, leaning over his arm but careful not to touch him.

 

He was talented.

 

The angle from which he took the picture was perfect. The sun made it seem like there was a halo surrounding her. Eunhee’s hair was carried by the wind, and the light made her hair shine in a stunning brown. She found it hard to believe that it was her in the picture. "Is that really me?" She stupidly asked. They both didn't realise how close their faces are to each other's, and both shot their heads backwards in shock.

 

Remembering that she asked him a question, he cleared his throat to clear the awkwardness in the air. "Who else would it be?" She shrugged at him. One quality that Jongin decided he liked about this stranger was that she had absolutely no idea how pretty she is.

 

"You're a great photographer," she sincerely said when he showed her more pictures, eyes never leaving that little screen.

 

"Yeah?" His voice deep and alluring in the darkening sky. She turned to him, and they both stared at each other for a moment too long before she nodded once.

 

He is one beautiful stranger.

She is one beautiful stranger.

 

 

It was a weekday. Eunhee felt suffocated, and suffocation meant a walk in the park. And not just any park, but the park near the airport, where she could hear and see the planes as they flew above her head.

 

She chose a lonely bench that wasn't overlooking the pathways to be a bit away from civilisation for the moment. A break from reality.

 

Feeling in the mood for it, a melody left her lips. It was humming at first, but slowly, words started forming.

 

Eunhee cut the song halfway with a yawn that mimicked a lion’s. "Continue singing." A voice sounded, but it didn't break the pleasant atmosphere. She turned to the source, and her eyebrows raised at the familiar boy.

 

"You're starting to creep me out," she jokingly muttered as he walked towards her from behind the tree he was behind.

 

His chuckling was music to her ears. He sat down beside her, his camera bag between them both. "Speaking of creepy, I thought you were a ghost when I first saw you sitting alone at the hill."

 

She pleasantly laughed, making a smile grow on his face. "A ghost?"

 

"Yeah," his nod made his bangs poke him in the eyes, but he didn't look annoyed by it. "I've never seen a girl out alone in a place like that before. Nearly peed my pants." She shook her head at him, both having matching grins.

 

"Sorry for scaring you then." Eunhee didn't look apologetic though, just really amused at the thought of scaring a grown man from doing nothing. It was quiet after, a comfortable silence between two strangers, something they both wished happened more often. "Can you sing for me?"

 

She looked into his expectant eyes, his hopeful, shy smile, the way his fingers traced nervous circles on his jeans.

 

Eunhee sang for this beautiful stranger- the only person who she ever sang to in her life.

 

 

Please log in to read the full chapter