Crime #7

CRIMINAL PERSONA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m really sorry,” Sandara said for the nth times to Jiyong in the day when they accidentally met at the parking garage. She really would like to hide her face in shame after what the nosy detectives do earlier in the day. She got that they were just looking out for her but didn’t mean what they did was understandable. She ought to ask Kang Suhyun from the narcotics unit and Lee Yeehwa from forensic unit and Jung Eunmi from the cybercrime investigation and Shin Jihyun – the other female detectives in this overpopulated testosterone zone – if they also had overbearing colleagues. “They must be misunderstand after the picture that Jung Seungho sent to Hong Jinkyung sunbaenim,”

“It’s okay, they’re just looking you out, I understand.” He replied, smiling his brilliant smile. Why he liked to smile so much? Shouldn’t he know that his smile brought no good for someone’s heart?

“The next time I meet Jung Seungho, he’ll be a death meat.” She muttered under her breath.

“Pardon?”

“Oh, nothing.” Sandara waved her hand, dismissing his concern. “So, the case is getting interesting, huh?” she changed the subject.

Just an hour before, Jiyong had sent the preliminary result, which detailed version from what he texted her earlier before. Yet it the detail was far more disgusting. She almost threw up her lunch when it been read out loud. He only wrote ‘wounds and cuts and rodent attack’ in the text and in the preliminary result he elaborated where the ‘wound and cuts and rodent attack’ were at. The most disturbing autopsy report she ever knew, even though she believe some other murder case would surpass it – given to her young experience in the detective division.

“That was the worst autopsy I ever perform, even comparing to the time I work for Boston PD.” He told her.

She grimace at the confession, wouldn’t like to imagine how he performing the autopsy. She had heard he was sent to Boston PD for four years after his one year in investigation training was up. So she couldn’t imagine how he looked at the unseen places of the last victim.

“Would you like to accompany me for a drink?” he suddenly asked. “Please,” he added quickly when he saw she was contemplating the offer. “I really need some drink so I can sleep tonight,”

Sandara sighed, pitying him and then decided the time to repay his kindness yesterday had come faster that she thought. Just as she was about to accepted his offer a voice butted in and messed up the night for good.

“You guys still here,” she closed her eyes, recognizing the voice. “Are you just going to go home? How about a team dinner? Let me tell the other guys,” and expertly he typed on his phone – probably sending a mass text.

At this she had decided Jaehwan’s voice was the most disturbing noise in the world.

“Let’s go, I know a good place.” He finished with his phone and put it back in his jacket pocket. “I’ve told the others and they’ll meet us there.” then he turned to Jiyong, “Where’s your car?” he asked. “You will drive us there.”

Correction, not just Jaehwan voice was the most disturbing noice in the world but his presence also the most disturbing ever!

**

Jiyong nursed his possibility the only bottle of beer as Jaehwan had made him drive here, with Jaehwan himself and Sandara as passengers. He glanced at the girl who continuously mouthed sorry at every chance she got, seated at far end at the other side of the table. Which he knew was intentionally had been done by the other detectives.

He didn’t think the other forensics were this protective toward Lee Yeehwa, the only female coroner in the forensic team. But then maybe because he hadn’t even mark his first week in the team and also that Yeehwa was married to his team leader, Kim Juhyeok. Surely he didn’t experience this when he was in Boston PD.

“Why are you so quiet?” Junho, who seated at his side, slapped his shoulder harder that it should be – that he knew it was on purpose.

“Nothing,” he answered.

Just in time, the serve brought in their order – Jiyong had to emphasize the ‘their’, because he didn’t included. Jaehwan only told him where to drive without telling him what restaurant it was. When Jiyong entered the place, he knew they were intended to torture him.

It was a sundae restaurant.

And after what he did just hours ago in the forensic laboratory, he wouldn’t mind to turn into a vegan for a few days.

His mouth turned sour as he smelled the stuffed cylinders on the plate.

“That looks delicious,” the profiler stated, readying his chopsticks. “Let’s eat!”

Secretly, Jiyong moved his chair as far as he could without anyone notice and thanked that the restaurant had a plain vegetable soup and fried tofu dish. He ordered both. At least he got his stomach filled by food instead of beer.

As he devoured his meal, he felt a pair of eyes staring at him and when he straightened his head, true enough, the female detective was staring at him, mouthed her sorry which he responded with a simple nod and a smile. Back at his cut dice sized tofu, his phone vibrated on the table. Out of habit because of his occupation, he quickly answered the call without looking at the ID.

That he regretted.

“We need to talk,” said the person at the other end.

He cut off the connection right away and put the device in his pants pocket. Staring at his meals, he lost his appetite and drain off his bottle. Then silently cursed when he remembered that he couldn’t order another bottle as he was the designated driver

Put down his chopstick

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter