Part Two

The Academy

Part Two

It had been two years since Yifan and Chanyeol had defected to the Red Forces. Junmyeon found himself the commander of their now ten-man cell, and right after they’d graduated, the Headmaster had appointed them to a prestigious branch of the military called EXO. EXO ran discrete, ruthless missions for whatever the Emperor of the Nation of Mountains needed to be done.

It was exhausting. All of their training, both physically and emotionally, at the academy had prepared them well for this. But sometimes, Junmyeon wished desperately that he could rely on someone. Ever since Yifan and Chanyeol had defected, Junmyeon had withdrawn from everyone and everything, afraid to trust anyone. He’d even changed his name once they’d graduated—most of the military just knew him as Suho.

He still trusted Minseok, most of the time. But after their battle on the academy rooftop, things had never quite been the same. Minseok seemed angry and embarrassed with himself for collapsing so early in the battle, and Junmyeon didn’t try and push him to talk about it. They had settled into a quiet, awkward silence over the affair. Junmyeon wondered if there would ever be a day where they could talk about it openly.

“Commander Suho!” A voice rang outside of the tent.

Junmyeon pulled himself together and got to his feet. He stepped out of the tent and bowed politely to the soldier calling him. “Yes?”

“The General wants to see you in his tent, immediately.”

“Understood.” Junmyeon saluted and began walking towards their commander’s tent at the head of the camp. He ducked through the opening and bowed again. “You asked to see me, ma’am?”

General Taeyeon nodded at him. “Welcome, Suho.” She raised a hand and pointed it at him. “Bind him. Immediately.”

The two guards at her side sprang towards him, and Junmyeon reflexively jumped out of the way, his heart pounding in his chest. Why had he dodged? If they thought that he’d done something wrong, then he was not helping his case right now.

Before Junmyeon could relax his posture, he found himself frozen in place, unable to control his limbs. He sighed and relaxed his muscles as best he could as the second guard came up behind him and tied his hands behind his back.

The guard holding him in place relaxed his energy, and Junmyeon found that he could use his voice again. “General Taeyeon, what exactly is this about?”

“There’s been a breach of security. This is for your own good, Suho.” Taeyeon gave him a kind look. “Don’t struggle too hard. You should be released within a few days.”

“For my own good?” Junmyeon repeated, standing his ground when one of Taeyeon’s guards tried to drag him away. “What do you mean?”

“I mean just that.” She nodded to the guard, who gave him a more forceful nudge. “You’ll find out what’s happened soon enough.”

“My cell,” Junmyeon said suddenly. “What’ll happen to them?”

“All ten of you will be out of commission for the next few days.”

Junmyeon blinked. “Will they also receive…similar treatment?”

“You’ll find out later. Now go,” Taeyeon said firmly.

The guard pushed him, and Junmyeon stumbled a moment before allowing himself to be lead out of the back of the tent. Junmyeon wondered what on earth was going on. He had no idea if anyone in their cell had been leaking information or spying for the enemy, but he hoped with all his heart that this wasn’t the case. He didn’t trust any of them anymore, and maybe that was why he didn’t know what was happening—he’d truly failed them as a leader.

Junmyeon hung his head and let himself be manhandled into a small cell in an underground facility below the camp. The guards left him without another word, and the door closed with a great air of finality.

Junmyeon tested his bonds, but they held firm. Junmyeon let out a low growl of irritation—was he going to have to wait for a guard to come into the room before they untied him?

Junmyeon didn’t know how long he sat there, all alone, drowning in confusion and misery. What was going on? What would happen to him?

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, the door opened again. Junmyeon opened his mouth, only to stare in surprise. “Minseok?”

“Junmyeon!” Minseok turned to the guard behind him, who nodded. Minseok approached Junmyeon with a pair of black bracelets.

“Energy absorbent?” Junmyeon asked, eyeing the bracelets with an air of trepidation.

Minseok nodded. “Gotta put these on you before I cut your bonds.” He snapped the bracelets over Junmyeon’s wrists, and then set to work cutting through the ropes.

Junmyeon let out a sigh of relief and rubbed at his wrists. “What’s happening? Why am I in here? Are the others—safe?” he cast a wary glance at the guard, who was standing in the doorway of the room.

“The others are safe.” Minseok looked troubled. “But…Sehun, Zitao, Luhan and Jongdae have been put into custody.”

Junmyeon in a sharp breath. “Yifan’s entire team?”

“Yeah.” Minseok looked troubled. “I don’t know what’s going on. But…I have my guesses.”

Junmyeon’s eyes flickered over to the guard, and then back to Minseok. “I also have my guesses,” Junmyeon said softly. “Perhaps this is for the best.”

“I don’t know the full extent of what’s going on.”

“What do you mean?” Junmyeon frowned.

“I think it might be worse than…whatever you’re thinking,” Minseok said carefully.

“Worse?” Junmyeon repeated. It was clear that Yifan was the key theme running through the situation, but Junmyeon wasn’t sure what to think. Had Yifan attempted to reach out to them?

Junmyeon’s eyes widened. “Not again,” he said slowly. “You can’t…this isn’t…”

“I was sure if you knew that they were thinking about things or not,” Minseok said quietly. “You’ve been so withdrawn. No one seems to know what you’re thinking these days.”

“But surely General Taeyeon wouldn’t think that I would betray us!” Junmyeon spit viciously. “I would never!”

Minseok held up his hands in a sign of peace. “I know you wouldn’t,” Minseok said gently. “I don’t think she’s worried that you’ll turn traitor. I think she’s more worried that Yifan will try and talk to you.”

“So I’m bait?” Junmyeon frowned in confusion. “But wouldn’t he be more interested in talking to the others?”

The guard coughed. “One more minute.”

Junmyeon flinched, having forgotten that the guard was there.

“I don’t think anything concrete has happened yet.” Minseok got to his feet and patted Junmyeon’s shoulder. “Don’t do anything stupid, okay?”

“Okay,” Junmyeon said quietly.

“I’ll be back tomorrow.” Minseok walked out the door. “Goodbye.”

Junmyeon stared blankly as the cell door shut behind him. So, Yifan was back—either in the vicinity, or he’d actually managed to infiltrate their camp. He must have reached out to one of them—or maybe, Junmyeon and his brothers were all bait for Yifan to approach them.

Junmyeon frowned and let his head fall back to hit the wall with a thunk. Perhaps he would be better off meditating and gaining control over his thoughts than running through endless possibilities.

 

 

 

 

Junmyeon woke with a start. He was still in the holding cell, and the door was closed. Junmyeon got to his feet and pressed against the door, which didn’t budge.

Junmyeon scowled down at the energy absorbing bracelets on his arms. With these on, he wouldn’t be able to control any amount of water larger than a teaspoon. They could only be removed by specially trained technicians—otherwise, the bracelet would explode.

Junmyeon pressed his ear to the door and listened. Something had woken him—what was it?

Junmyeon’s eyes widened and he flung himself away from the door at the last moment. The door caved in with a crash, and Junmyeon coughed as a plume of crumbling grey paint filled the room.

Junmyeon rubbed at his watery eyes and nearly fainted when he saw the two figures standing in the doorway.

“Yifan?” Junmyeon gasped. “Chanyeol?”

They looked different. More determined. Maybe a little leaner. They both wore dark red cloaks with their hoods pushed back to reveal their faces.

“Junmyeon?” Yifan asked, surprise coloring his voice.

“I thought Luhan would be in here for sure,” Chanyeol grumbled. “I’ll keep checking the other cells. You take care of things here.”

“Chanyeol!” Junmyeon called out, but Chanyeol had already gone running out into the corridor.

Junmyeon coughed again as he peered at Yifan. He couldn’t use his magic, but he could probably put up a good physical fight against Yifan if he had to. “What’s going on?”

“You didn’t know?” Yifan started walking towards him, and Junmyeon instinctively backed away. “I’ve been talking to Luhan and Sehun for nearly two months now.”

“Two months?” Junmyeon echoed faintly. How had he not noticed that something was going horribly wrong within his team?

“You really didn’t know.” Yifan surveyed him closely. Junmyeon’s back bumped into the wall, and he held his breath as Yifan came closer and closer.

“Minseok suggested the idea to me barely a few hours ago,” Junmyeon admitted, struggling to maintain his composure as Yifan finally stopped when they were toe-to-toe.

“You’ve lost your touch,” Yifan said after a moment. “Sehun would always go to you with his problems first. I was always jealous of that.”

Junmyeon shrugged. “That really isn’t the case these days.”

Yifan leaned in. “Have you missed me, Junmyeon?”

Junmyeon’s heart ached. He had. He’d lost count of the times he’d cried himself to sleep because he missed Yifan so much it hurt.

Yifan leaned down and brushed their lips together, and Junmyeon shoved him away as hard as he could. “What are you doing?” Junmyeon hissed.

“You don’t want to pick up where we last left off?” Amusement and something darker glinted in Yifan’s eyes as he slowly got to his feet.

Junmyeon stepped away from the wall, and Yifan sprang ahead of him, cutting off his access to the door. “Absolutely not!” Junmyeon said warily, sizing up the situation. Things were not looking good for him. “You’re the enemy now, Yifan.”

“What an interesting philosophy,” Yifan drawled. “But don’t lie. I could hear your breathing quicken when got close to you. I felt your body when I kissed you. You still want me—don’t deny it.”

Junmyeon sighed. “Yifan…are you really going to recruit them?”

“Of course I am. They are ready to join us.”

“But why?” Junmyeon scowled. “Unimaginable power? Is that what you’ve gained? Is that what you hope to achieve?”

Yifan laughed. “Don’t goad me, Junmyeon. You won’t like the results.” His eyes flashed in the weak light of the cell. “If I could’ve convinced all of you to come, I would have. But you did too good of a job with your team—you instilled that pure faith you have in this country within the others. I, on the other hand, did a good job of transferring my doubts to the others.” Yifan took a step towards him, and Junmyeon held his ground. “There’s still a chance, you know. Come with me.”

“When hell freezes over,” Junmyeon said fiercely. “I won’t betray my country.”

“Surely you don’t think our nation is completely in the right,” Yifan said, changing tactics.

“I don’t,” Junmyeon agreed, stepping to the side. Yifan mirrored him, and Junmyeon saw a shadow dart past his cell door. Junmyeon swallowed harshly—was he running out of time? But he was pretty much useless with his bracelets. “But I also don’t think that the Red Forces are in the right.”

“Hm.” Yifan gave him a thoughtful look. “You know, I always thought you were rather simple, back at the academy. You always stuck to the rules. Hung out with the safe crowds. I didn’t have an ounce of respect for you until the first time we trained together, and I saw your ambitiousness.”

“Feeling nostalgic?” Junmyeon asked lightly, taking a step towards Yifan. Yifan took a step back.

“Nostalgic?” Yifan echoed. “Perhaps.”

“You’ve changed.” Junmyeon took another step forward, but this time, Yifan held his ground. “What happened to the Yifan who used to care for his comrades?”

Yifan flinched, and Junmyeon lunged forward, aiming a kick at Yifan’s head. He whirled and ducked as Yifan countered.

Yifan blocked his punch and grabbed his wrist, holding him in place. Junmyeon narrowed his eyes at him.

“What will you do?” Junmyeon challenged him. “Take care of me, as Chanyeol so delicately put it?”

Yifan flung him to the ground, and Junmyeon winced when the air was knocked out of his lungs. Junmyeon struggled to breathe as Yifan leaned over him.

Chanyeol reappeared in the doorway. “Yifan?”

“Coming,” Yifan said as Junmyeon finally managed to gasp a breath of air. “I’m bringing him.”

“Yifan, we don’t…”

Yifan twisted to look over his shoulder, and Chanyeol stopped talking. Junmyeon tried to lift his arm to punch Yifan in the face, but his body barely responded, his arm twitching faintly.

Yifan turned down to look at him and show him a slender needle, the tip coated in blood. “You didn’t even notice, did you?” Yifan shook his head and pocketed the needle. “You really are losing your touch.”

Junmyeon struggled to stay something, but his tongue felt like cotton in his mouth. He blinked blearily as the ceiling light started to swim, and he closed his eyes, unsure of when he would wake up again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Junmyeon opened his eyes. There was a dark, shadowy ceiling high above him. Junmyeon shifted his hand, and realized that he was lying on a pallet of some kind. Junmyeon slowly took stock of his body—he was bruised from his fight with Yifan, but other than that, he was fine.

Junmyeon realized that the energy bracelets had been removed from his arms. He sat bolt upright and reached towards the first source of water he could locate in the room.

A small ball of water bobbed out of his cup, and floated toward him. Junmyeon gazed around alertly, but saw no one else. It was a fairly small room—there was a window in the corner, but it was too high for him to reach. There was only one door and Junmyeon shakily got to his feet and went to it, trying to open it.

Unsurprisingly, it was locked. Junmyeon took a shaky breath and let the ball of water fall back into the cup. He massaged his temples and tried to remember. He’d fought Yifan, and Yifan had poisoned him—and had presumably brought him here. But where was here? And why had Yifan seen fit to release him from the restraining bracelets?

Junmyeon staggered and sat down hard on the ground. Yifan had poisoned him—maybe the poison was still in his system. Junmyeon slowly got to his feet, when suddenly the door swung open behind him.

Junmyeon barely avoided falling over as he stared at Yifan, who rushed over to help him. Junmyeon gritted his teeth, but let Yifan guide him to the chair beside the bed.

“Why have you brought me here?” Junmyeon asked.

Yifan shook his head. “I want to show you why I joined.” He pointed at the small stack of clothing he’d brought in. “Can you change on your own?”

Junmyeon considered his shaky limbs. “Am I still poisoned?” he ignored Yifan’s question.

“Of course you are. I can’t have you running around at your full strength,” Yifan said in amusement. “Can you change on your own? Otherwise I’ll have to help you.”

“I can do it.” Junmyeon slowly reached out to for the cloth. “Would you mind closing the door?”

“Sure.” Yifan got up and Junmyeon slowly began changing. “Don’t look,” Junmyeon said warningly.

“Why not?” Yifan smirked down at him, and Junmyeon rolled his eyes as he began changing his pants.

“Respect for my privacy?” Junmyeon suggested. “Although I suppose we are sort of past that point.”

Yifan didn’t look away as Junmyeon changed, and Junmyeon sighed through his nose. “What now?”

“Bathroom.” Yifan opened the door again and came to assist Junmyeon in getting to his feet. Junmyeon leaned heavily against Yifan as he led him down a short hallway to the bathroom. Thankfully, Yifan didn’t follow him inside, and just waited outside the door until Junmyeon was done.

“Are you hungry?” Yifan asked as he supported Junmyeon back down the hallway.

“Yes,” Junmyeon said simply.

“Someone will come by with food in a little bit.” Yifan guided Junmyeon into his chair again. “Also, I wouldn’t try molding your energy too much—the poison will just affect you faster that way.”

Junmyeon scowled and didn’t say anything.

Yifan laughed at him. “Come on, don’t be like that,” he cooed. “Besides, I’m sure that General Taeyeon has sent someone to come get you back. You won’t be here for long.”

“You’d let me go back?” Junmyeon blinked in surprise.

“If I can’t convince you to stay, then I’d have to kill you,” Yifan said quietly. “Does that answer your question?”

Junmyeon blinked. Maybe Yifan really did care about him a little bit.

A red-cloaked figure came into the room with food, and Yifan let Junmyeon eat on his own, occasionally helping dab away anything Junmyeon spilled. When he was done, Yifan set the plates to the side and helped Junmyeon stand up.

“Where are we going?”

“I’m going to show you why we joined.” Yifan adjusted his grip on Junmyeon. “Hang on.”

“What—argh!” Junmyeon clenched onto Yifan’s arms as Yifan sprang into the air and the world around them turned into a blur of light and color. It was over in moments, but Junmyeon still staggered and sagged against Yifan when they landed back on the ground.

“It’s a new movement technique I’ve developed,” Yifan said calmly, helping Junmyeon to stand on his own weight. “What do you think?”

“Impressive,” Junmyeon admitted, “But awful.”

Yifan laughed and guided Junmyeon towards a large window. “Look out.”

Junmyeon looked, and saw a group of red-cloaked figures in what seemed to be a sparring ring. As he watched, a huge ball of electricity erupted over the group and they all sprang apart from each other. The earth was torn apart as huge slabs of stone and sand erupted through the floor. The figures flung weapons and elements at each other as they fought, and Junmyeon felt a small pang of awe at the sheer power of the attacks.

“Jongdae?” Junmyeon asked, turning to look at Yifan.

Yifan shook his head. “That’s another electricity user.” He extended his arm to Junmyeon, and Junmyeon accepted it as they moved away. Yifan showed him more training rooms with incredibly powerful individuals demonstrating their sheer mastery of the elements.

“So you came here for this,” Junmyeon said softly. “You would be drawn to it.”

“Aren’t you?” Yifan shot back. “Don’t tell me that seeing all of that doesn’t stir something inside of you.”

“It does,” Junmyeon said thoughtfully. “It’s probably just not what you expect.”

“What? Pity?” Yifan snorted. “Don’t bull me, Junmyeon. I know that you also want to attain mastery over water. You could gain it, here.”

“But that’s not all I would gain, is it?” Junmyeon asked softly. “Someone removed those energy restraints from my arms. You, somehow, have a working knowledge of poisons. What kind of missions do they have you do, Yifan? Are they really supporting the war with the Land of Pines?”

“Of course they are,” Yifan said in a low voice. “The Red Forces desire power. We would gain power if the Land of Pines expanded their borders.”

“The Tree of Life has cast its lot with the Nation of Mountains. The Red Forces would support any country that opposed it, am I right?” Junmyeon said fiercely. “How could you expect me to be moved against my country? Against my friends?”

Yifan stared at him calmly. “How can you continue to put such faith in your friends when they keep abandoning you?”

Junmyeon faltered and went silent.

Yifan gently squeezed his elbow. “You’ll have three days to decide,” he said quietly. “You know what the consequences will be.”

Junmyeon glared at him. “I won’t change my mind,” he said quietly.

Yifan shook his head. “Hang on,” he said, and suddenly, the world was a blur of colors and light. Junmyeon staggered and fell over once their feet hit the ground again, his energy spent. Yifan caught him and carefully lifted him to lie down on the pallet.

“I’ll be back later.” Yifan put a soothing hand on his forehead, and Junmyeon let out a small noise of acknowledgement. “Rest.”

Junmyeon closed his eyes as he heard the door shut. He quietly despaired even as he slid into unconsciousness.

 

 

 

The next day, it wasn’t Yifan who came to see him—instead, Chanyeol visited him in the morning. Chanyeol patiently helped Junmyeon walk around and do what he needed to do, until at last, Junmyeon was settled back in his bed.

“You must have questions for me.” Chanyeol slouched back in his chair, and Junmyeon smiled a little at the familiarity of the pose. When he slouched, the red cloak seemed less stiff and less formal, and Junmyeon was reminded of how things had been two years ago.

“Why?” Junmyeon said simply. “Power, like Yifan?”

“When the Red Forces recruited Yifan two years ago, he knew that he wouldn’t be able to get out of the compound by himself. He knew that I was hungry for power too, and well,” Chanyeol shrugged, “here we are.”

“Is it worth it?” Junmyeon asked gently. “Was this power really worth betraying us all?”

Chanyeol faltered, and Junmyeon continued ruthlessly. “You wouldn’t know how cut up Yixing was after you left,” Junmyeon said softly. “Or how often Minseok cried.”

Chanyeol pulled himself together. “Don’t even try and play this game with me,” Chanyeol sneered back. “Sehun and Luhan didn’t go to you when we approached them, and Sehun used to go to you for everything.”

“I guess that’s true,” Junmyeon said mildly. “I’ve changed. We’ve all changed. I don’t doubt that Minseok would kill you on sight if you ever ran into him.”

Chanyeol didn’t respond, and Junmyeon settled back into his pillows. “Is this Yifan’s grand plan to change my mind? He showed me the training grounds yesterday. Will all four of you come and pay me a visit?”

Chanyeol shrugged and got to his feet. “Maybe. Are you hungry?”

Junmyeon was almost positive that this was how Yifan was feeding the poison to him in nonlethal doses. “No.” Junmyeon closed his eyes and lay back. “I want to be alone.”

“Fine,” Chanyeol said and reached out to squeeze Junmyeon’s hand. “Junmyeon…please make the right choice.”

Junmyeon opened his eyes and studied Chanyeol’s eyes for a moment. To his surprise, they were honest and desperate—and Junmyeon wondered what Chanyeol really thought the right choice was. He squeezed back, and Chanyeol left the room.

Finally. Junmyeon stretched out a hand and pulled the water out of the cup on the table. Using his power, he carefully began filtering the water, until all that was left was a pure ball of liquid, and the poison.

Junmyeon diluted the poison with a bit of water and let it spill carelessly across the ground, as if his hand had been shaking when he’d brought the cup to his lips. He brought the pure water to his mouth and drank.

Junmyeon looked at the food. Most of it would be too solid for him to try and extract the poison from it. His belly let out a small grumble of dissatisfaction, but Junmyeon ignored it. He was going to have to do his best to regain his ability to mold his energy within the next two days, or else he wouldn’t even stand a chance of escaping.

Junmyeon knew that Yifan had warned him that the poison would affect him worse if he molded his energy, but Junmyeon figured that the risk was worth it. He would assess his improvements after whoever would visit him in the evening left.

That evening, Luhan came to the room.

“I didn’t know Yifan would bring you.”

Junmyeon smiled at that. “I wasn’t expecting it either.” Junmyeon leaned back against his bed. “I don’t know what he’s trying to do.”

Luhan didn’t respond to that, and for a while, they sat in silence.

“Are you disappointed in me?”

Junmyeon blinked in surprise. “Disappointed?” he echoed. “Why would you care?”

Luhan laughed. “Of course I care,” he said gently.

Junmyeon frowned and looked away. “Of course I’m disappointed,” Junmyeon said softly. “Why have you done this?”

Luhan hesitated. “Would you believe me if I said that it’s because I want to watch over them?”

Junmyeon stared at Luhan. “What?”

“The twelve of us are the closest I have to family. And you know how close I was to Chanyeol before he left.” Luhan pushed a hand through his hair. “I…I’ve been struggling with this for a long time. I’m worried about Sehun too. I don’t…I don’t know what they’ll make us do here.”

“How selfless of you,” Junmyeon said sarcastically. “You’d put a death sentence on your head just so that you could watch over your brothers on the enemy side?”

A flush rose through Luhan’s cheeks. “Of course it isn’t just that!” he snapped at Junmyeon. “You forget—I was a refugee from the Land of Pines. My ties to the Nation of Mountains were never as strong as yours.” He let out a frustrated sigh. “Try and see it from my point of view, Junmyeon. My strongest loyalties are to the twelve of us. I want room to grow and expand my powers too. The Red Forces was the best choice I was going to get.”

“Headmaster Kim was set to accept both of us as his apprentices at the end of this year,” Junmyeon said, disbelief coloring his tone. “And you wanted to come here?”

“What Headmaster Kim can do pales in comparison to the powers of the Red Forces. Yifan showed you the training grounds, right? All of those people could do such amazing things!” Luhan stood up, his movements becoming increasingly agitated. “Do you think Headmaster Kim could teach you more than that?”

“I do,” Junmyeon said softly. “I have no doubt of it.”

Why?” Luhan cried out in frustration. “You’re so—you’re so blind! You have so much blind faith in the system that it makes me sick!”

Junmyeon sighed. “Why doesn’t anyone remember the night Yifan and Chanyeol left?”

“What?” Luhan looked taken aback.

“You must’ve noticed. No one—students or teachers, remembers the day that Yifan and Chanyeol left. They know that Yifan and Chanyeol are traitors, but they can’t remember the exact circumstances of that day.” Junmyeon stared down at his hands. “It’s because Headmaster Kim wiped the entire compound’s memories of that day, except for us. There are at least five hundred people who would’ve been aware of the battle and that night. And also, I’ve already been learning from Headmaster Kim.” Junmyeon lifted one of his hands to the light and eyed his fingernails. “Remember how I used to get horribly sick whenever I came in contact with another soldier’s energy? I don’t anymore after two weeks with Headmaster Kim. I’ve seen what he can do.” Junmyeon put his hand down and fixed Luhan with a pointed glare. “My faith and trust aren’t blind.”

Luhan nodded slowly after a moment. “I see.” Luhan took a step towards the door. “If we met on the battlefield, what would you do?”

Junmyeon stared Luhan straight in the eyes. “I’d strike you down without a second thought,” Junmyeon said firmly. “Don’t doubt me.”

“I see.” Luhan shook his head in either amazement or disbelief—Junmyeon couldn’t tell which one. “Goodbye, Junmyeon.”

He left the room, and Junmyeon was left to silence again. Junmyeon slowly sat up and swung his legs over the edge of the bed. He already felt stronger and more alert than he had in the morning. He slowly got to his feet and began walking around the room. It wouldn’t do to leave his muscles tired and unused, especially if he only had one more day to prepare himself for escape.

 

 

 

The next day, Sehun came. Junmyeon wasn’t at all surprised, although he hadn’t expected Yifan to be so kind to him. He’d been provided with food, a bed and clothes, and no one had come and tried to torture him for information yet. Junmyeon wasn’t relaxed, but this was far better than other times he’d been captured by the enemy.

“Sehun,” Junmyeon said gently. “I was starting to wonder whether you would come see me or not.”

“The others have already come, haven’t they?” Sehun came to sit by Junmyeon’s bedside.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Junmyeon slowly sat up.

“I couldn’t trust you to keep it a secret,” Sehun said simply. “I knew that you’d tell General Taeyeon right away.”

“Do you think so?” Junmyeon asked thoughtfully. “I’m not sure I would have.”

“You wouldn’t have joined me like Luhan, though.”

“That’s true,” Junmyeon agreed. “I wouldn’t have.”

“I’m sorry,” Sehun whispered. “I…”

“You don’t have to explain yourself to me,” Junmyeon said after a couple of moments. “I think I know why you came here.”

“I always looked up to Yifan,” Sehun said hesitantly. “I think…this is the only way I can catch up with him. And with you.”

“I wonder if Headmaster Kim ever thought that his apprentice choices would lead us down this road.” Junmyeon shook his head. After rigorous testing, only Junmyeon and Luhan had been accepted. Sehun, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun had applied with them, but while Kyungsoo and Baekhyun had moved on to other masters, it seemed like Sehun had gotten stuck on the idea.

“I think he knew.” Sehun looked at the window, avoiding Junmyeon’s gaze. “I went to talk with him, after our exams were over. He told me that there was a reason that he wouldn’t take me on as his apprentice—and that the reason was so strong, he’d never take me on.” Sehun sighed. “I don’t know if he was trying to play some weird mind game with me, but the rejection…stung. And then the Red Forces came for me, and I…I just want to grow. I love to fight, even if there’s no cause to the name.”

“I know,” Junmyeon said gently. As Sehun’s roommate, they’d gotten very close over the past few years. “I understand.” Sehun had always felt disadvantaged as the youngest member of their class. Junmyeon was full aware of the inferiority complex that the Red Forces must’ve played on to get him to join. “But even if I understand, I still…disapprove.”

Sehun snorted. “I figured you would.” Sehun got to his feet. “I hope you’ll change your mind. The General here can be…convincing.”

“Is he the one who convinced you?”

Sehun laughed. “He wouldn’t come all the way out to our troops just to convince me, although I heard that he did for Yifan.” Sehun’s expression soured at the slight. “No. I was on a solo mission and saw…things. They came for me soon after.”

“What did you see?” Junmyeon asked cautiously.

Sehun shook his head, and Junmyeon left it at that.

“You’re not going to try and convince me to join?” Junmyeon asked curiously.

Sehun snorted. “I already know you won’t.” Sehun got to his feet. “Yifan didn’t come in and see you at all yesterday?”

Junmyeon shook his head. “Just Luhan and Chanyeol.”

“Hm.” Sehun got to his feet. “Junmyeon…you know that Yifan brought you here for a reason, right?”

“Yes.” Junmyeon sighed deeply. He’d thought about it considerably, and he knew that no matter how much he wanted it to be true, Yifan had probably brought him here to use him, somehow. Maybe Yifan still cared about him, maybe he didn’t—but that was the truth of the matter. “What about Jongdae and Zitao?”

Sehun looked surprised. “What about them?”

“Minseok told me that all six of you had been put away.” Junmyeon frowned. “I thought that he’d come with you.”

“Hm.” Sehun looked thoughtful. “As far as I know, they hadn’t been recruited.” Sehun went to the door. “Junmyeon…be careful.”

Junmyeon half-smiled at that. “Thanks.”

Sehun left the room, and Junmyeon set about extracting the poison from what food and water he could. When that was done, Junmyeon slowly got off the bed and stood firmly on his feet. His strength was starting to come back, but Junmyeon wasn’t sure how much he could rely on himself to get out of here when the time came. The poison also held him back, because Junmyeon knew how much it would spread the poison if he dared to use it. Junmyeon growled in frustration and walked over to the door. He tried to turn the handle, but it was locked. Junmyeon resisted the urge to kick at the wall and scream. What was he going to do? Sit calmly in his bed when Yifan came tomorrow with a knife and his hand and the option of do or die?

Junmyeon froze when he heard the sound of someone coming down the hallway. He crumpled to the floor just as the door swung open to reveal Yifan and a tall, scarlet-cloaked figure.

“Junmyeon!” Yifan bent down to help him off the floor, and Junmyeon pretended that it was much more difficult for him than it really was. “Are you alright?”

“Yes,” Junmyeon said weakly. “I thought…”

“The poison is affecting him quite strongly even though he’s been receiving such low doses,” the red figure said smoothly. Junmyeon stared at the figure in shock—if his memory served him correctly, this was the same person Junmyeon had fought two years ago. “Are you sure he has any potential to him?”

Junmyeon stayed silent. It would be best for them to think he was weak—it would only serve to his advantage.

“I was at Junmyeon’s side for years. I know what he’s capable of,” Yifan said dismissively.

“Who are you?” Junmyeon asked the red figure.

There was an ominous pause, and Junmyeon thought he might choke on the tension. He glanced over at Yifan, and felt a small pang of nervousness when he saw how pale Yifan had gotten.

It started as a soft tingling in the back of his knee, and then suddenly, Junmyeon felt as if his entire body was being shocked with electricity. He convulsed in Yifan’s grip, his mouth open in a silent scream.

In a flash, it was over. Junmyeon sagged in Yifan’s arms, gasping for breath.

“I don’t take disrespect lightly,” the red figure said softly. “Do you understand, Junmyeon?”

Junmyeon flushed at being addressed so intimately, but held his tongue.

“You are lucky Yifan is protecting you. If things had gone my way, we would’ve thrown you into the interrogation chamber the moment you were brought here.” The figure tilted its head. “If you decide not to join us, rest assured that I will wring your secrets out of you before casting you to your grave.”

Junmyeon didn’t say anything. Who was this person? Why were they here? Junmyeon could feel the person’s energy slowly building up, sneakily tapping up against his own. Junmyeon held his ground and refused to react.

“Hm.” The presence retracted, and Junmyeon forced himself not to react. “Interesting.” The cloaked figure stared at him for a few more moments and then turned around and left the room.

“What was that?” Junmyeon asked shakily, allowing Yifan to help him sit down. “Who was that?”

“No one you need to be worried about.” Yifan shook his head. “You’re lucky I was passing by when I saw her coming here.”

“Her?” Junmyeon echoed. The figure’s voice was low, and Junmyeon had always assumed that it was a man’s voice.

“Never mind.” Yifan got to his feet and picked up Junmyeon’s food tray. “I won’t be back until tomorrow. I shouldn’t have come today.”

“Why?” Junmyeon felt something tug at his heart. No matter how hard he’d tried to close himself off to Yifan’s betrayal, there was still something that yearned to stay by Yifan’s side. “Yifan…”

Yifan smiled, and suddenly, his eyes softened. “Don’t look at me like that,” Yifan said gently.

Junmyeon flushed and looked away. “Sorry.”

Yifan leaned in close and Junmyeon stiffened, but Junmyeon just felt something soft press against his cheek before Yifan turned away. The door slammed shut, and Junmyeon stared at it in amazement.

Had Yifan really kissed him on the cheek? Junmyeon lifted a hand to his face, and he could feel the warmth radiating from his skin.

Junmyeon didn’t understand. Junmyeon would never have guessed that Yifan would hold any feelings towards him if they hadn’t kissed goodbye two years ago. And now, even though Yifan had kidnapped him from the military prison, Yifan was still being kind. What was going on? Why was Yifan acting like this? Junmyeon knew that Yifan was the enemy, and Yifan must have the same understanding.

Junmyeon frowned and stared blankly at the wall. Yifan had kidnapped him for more than this. Junmyeon wasn’t sure what Yifan’s ulterior motive was, but Junmyeon knew that he would have to try and escape before anything could happen.

Junmyeon got to his feet and began stretching his muscles. Whatever happened next, he was going to try and break out of here tonight.

a/n: Hello! Sorry this chapter is a little later than I said it would be. It's also unedited because I wanted to get it up quickly, but I'll probably repost the edited version with the next chapter. Thanks for reading and enjoying, and comments are always appreciated!