Heartbreak

Fated

Unsurprisingly, she woke up with a raging headache and quickly regretted the adult life already.

College was so much simpler, she thought.

She tried her best to escape from the everlasting comfort of her bed and get ready for work. After a record-setting shower, she touched up her face with makeup and wore a nice blouse paired with form fitting black slacks. With her bag in hand, she walked downstairs and just to her luck, her parents were still asleep. She took a glance at her watch and decided that the simplicity of toast will be fine. That, and a quick stop at the convenience store to get something to cure her hangover. Once her toast was finished, she held her breakfast in a paper towel and headed out the door. She was too busy trying to lock the door as fast as possible, leading to some hand juggling, to even notice a car parked outside on her driveway along with a man staring interestingly at her. When she did turn, she almost shouted and dropped her precious food. Fortunately, she didn’t and she wouldn’t have to kill someone.

“Good morning,” the cheeky male grinned, not showing any signs of drowsiness despite how early it is.

Jamie stared at the other, unsure if her headache was leading to hallucinations. The last thing, let alone person, Jamie wanted to see after an embarrassing drunk night was the reason for her actions. Just looking at his face made her face warm up and memories (scattered ones at least) would flash through her mind. After a few seconds of processing, she asked the most obvious question she could think of. “What are you doing here Jimin oppa?”

“To pick you up for work,” he answered. “Get in the car or else we’ll be late.” Jimin didn’t bother to let the girl answer or refuse and got inside the vehicle. Left speechless, Jamie could only let a loud sigh to escape her lips and walked towards the car. After she sat and buckled up, the older male started up the engine and drove out of the small driveway and into the streets. As the car continued to go down the road, Jamie watched as the male used his right hand to reach for something in the back.

“I think you may need this.”

In his hand was a small black bottle that Jamie was desperately yearning for. She purposely hides her excitement and awkwardly took the item before saying a quiet “thank you.” She wanted to act tame, thinking as if doing so would recover her image from last night ever so slightly. Jamie easily untwisted the cap and drank the liquid in content.

“Do you remember anything from last night?”

The sudden question almost made her choke on the bread she just started to work on.

She coughed. “Y-yes and no. Everything is pretty scattered. I just hope I didn’t make an embarrassment of myself last night.”

“Don’t worry, the person who was the embarrassment was Jin hyung,” he smiled, eyes shining with such mirth that Jamie wished she could see this more often. His expression then changed to complete seriousness. “Although, you should never drink so much if you know you can’t take it. Who knows what would’ve happened if I wasn’t here.”

“I know… Sorry…” Jamie rubbed her hands together awkwardly. The atmosphere making her feel stiff.

“But, I never pegged you to be a drinker and a baby drunk at that.”

Hearing the last part earned the male with a slap on his arm from the flushed female. He feigned pain and looked at her as if he had been wronged. “I am not a baby drunk.”

“Not from what I saw last night,” he sung, back to his playful self. “It's okay Jimina, I thought it was cute.”

Jamie’s heart skipped a beat. Her mind going a hundred miles per hour, processing what he had just said to her. He just called me cute, her mind literally screamed at her in the most annoying teenage high school tone she could think of.

The rest of the car ride remained in silence with an occasional talks here and there, either talking about work or family. Soon their workplace was in sight and the female started to gather her things.Jimin pulled up to the front of the building in order to drop Jamie off first since he needed to park his car.

“Thank you for driving me oppa,” the girl mustered the courage to look straight at him and tried her best to form a small smile. “Thanks for last night too.”

Saying everything she wanted to say, she shut the car door and headed inside the building, not giving her the chance to see the wide grin imprinted on the male’s face as he drove off.

 

“I heard Jimin-shi drove you home last night.”

It was break time and Jamie somehow managed to get through half of the day without passing out. But somehow, at the table located in the corner of the coffee room, she ended up being human barricaded by her colleague. The colleague's name was Sojin, who is the same age as her and fresh out of college, a new hire with already two months of experience. In Jamie’s opinion, she thought Sojin was cute and definitely the type many males would line up to date. The only problem was, she was a major gossiper. She knew what went around the company no matter what department the rumor may be about. In Jamie’s opinion, it was creepy (“It’s called connections; you should be making some too!” Sojin would argue). But overall, Sojin was kind and was always willing to help Jamie out whenever she needed it.  

Right now though, Jamie is debating whether her help was really worth it.

Jamie shifted uncomfortably in her seat at the intense attention the latter was giving her. “He drove me home since I had a lot to drink last night.”

The almond blonde female shook her finger in disbelief. “No matter how drunk you were, Jimin-shi is never the type to stay back too long to end up volunteering to drive the last drunk person left,” she commented, saying it with such a professional tone that made Jamie think the other would be suited as a detective or police officer instead of an office worker. “Many women used tactics like that countless times, thinking the caring prince would come to save them. It’s old and outdated, he learned to avoid it.”

“Well…” Jamie began to say, awkwardly swirling half of her coffee in the small white cup. “He’s actually my childhood friend.”

Jamie watched as the other blinked a few times before snapping her fingers. “That makes sense now! Phew, I thought I would need to break some bad news to you.”

“Bad news?” Jamie furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. “What ‘bad news’?”

“Oh nothing, I was just worried you may have some sort of interest in him,” Sojin sipped some of her tea. She then leaned forward a bit and gestured the black-haired to do the same. “I heard he has a thing going on with his secretary for a few months now and people were saying it's getting serious,” she whispered and pulled away with a scandalous expression.

Instead of responding back to her friend’s humorous reaction, Jamie remained still-framed.

He was dating someone…?

There was no way. Jamie wanted to deny it wholeheartedly.

But, it was possible.

Jimin was handsomely dashing. He held a cool air when he walked and talked but a boyish charm when smiling and laughing. His personality remained caring and well-mannered. At such a young age, he was already on the road to success.

Even as a teenager, he had females following him. Jamie couldn’t imagine how many women are at his feet. A beautiful woman by his side would not hold any surprises.

Her mind then drew back to last night and the interactions in the past few years.

His texts.

His offer for help.

The graduation gift.

The way he took her home when she was drunk.

Driving her to work the day after.

The hangover serum.

His overprotectiveness.

His teasing.

Jamie paused.

She remembered the sadness in his eyes when she mentioned of their ‘fate.’

He has someone.

He didn’t like her the same way as she liked him.

Her mind fantasized her rationality.

She was his childhood friend. He treated her like a sister.

This was as far their ‘fate’ can go.

Jamie felt her heart crumble into pieces.

 


Just a short update this time, but I promise I'll be back with another one soon! Everyone please bare with Jamie's emotions! I promise you things will get better soon. We are actually two to three more chapters away from the ending so I would really like to thank all my subscribers for being patient and supporting the story! Leave a comment below and tell me how you like the story so far! :D