two.

Fantastic Wizards and Where to Find Them

“That. Was. Awesome.” Luhan gushes, riding gloves still on and hair resembling that of Yixing’s last week—a spell gone wrong in Potions resulted in a beaker’s demise and was responsible for Yixing’s new look as a chimney sweep who had fallen down the chimney one too many times.

“Junmyeon doesn't agree,” Yixing notes, much to the amusement of Luhan.

“Yeah, I saw him falling down ten feet up. Heard him, too,” he snickers. “So he’s a wuss. What’s new?”

“Well, I’ve been working on my Herbology paper and—“

“Not literally.”

“Duly noted.”

“Did you see Yifan?” Luhan continues, “Even he flew higher.”

“Well, since we’re just naming people now, did you see Minseok? His form, his confidence, his raw talent—“

Luhan claps a hand over Yixing’s mouth, cheeks flushed pink. He removes it after a moment.

“Keep it down, will you?”

“Just repeating what the professor said,” Yixing shrugs, fighting a smirk.

“You’re good, Zhang,” Luhan says, squinting his eyes. “Real good. But I’ve known you for like, my entire life, and I know exactly what you're doing. It's not gonna work."

"You've only been alive for three years?" Yixing jokes.

"I said practically my entire life."

“Hey, look, it’s Minseok,” Yixing says, pointing behind Luhan.

“Where?!” Luhan whips around so quick Yixing is surprised he didn’t hear his neck crack. “There’s no one—Oh, wow. Real funny, Yixing. You got me,” Luhan says drily.

“Not gonna work? Kinda seems like it’s already working,” Yixing singsongs as he practically skips his way down the hall, leaving Luhan to glance behind himself one more time to make sure Minseok really wasn’t there.

 


 

It happens after Christmas break—the moment Yixing dubs as the ‘Muggle Clothes Incident’. Yixing is calmly drinking his soup, minding his own business, when Luhan grabs his arm in a death grip. He nearly drops his spoon and spills his soup all over the table.

“Yixing,” Luhan hisses, uncomfortably close to his face, “What is Minseok doing?”

“..Walking into the Great Hall for dinner?”

“No, I meant like what is he wearing.”

“Uh..jeans and a sweater?”

“He…he looks…never mind. Whatever happened to good old fashioned Hogwarts uniforms and standard robes?” Luhan whines, showing no indication of letting Yixing go.

“Well, it’s the weekend. No class. Why do you care so much anyway?” Yixing squints at his friend.

“Who is he sitting next to? Is that Yifan?”

“Huh.” Yixing blinks as a thought dawns on him and he tries not to point out the color in Luhan’s cheeks. “Can you let go of my arm now?”

“You know, I just think it’s funny how Yifan doesn’t like talking much yet he’s chatting up a storm with Minseok..what are they even laughing about? Seriously, is it really that funny?”Luhan rambles, voice rising.

“If you want to be friends with him you could just talk to him instead of being a total creep,” Yixing shrugs, his arm going a bit numb.

“I’m not being a total creep,” Luhan insists.

“Hey, Junmyeon, is Luhan a total creep?” Yixing calls to Junmyeon, sitting a few feet away from them.

“Uh huh,” Junmyeon mumbles, eyes never leaving his textbook. Luhan groans and releases his friend’s arm.

“I rest my case,” Yixing says smugly, returning to his now slightly colder soup.

 

 

 

 

“Yifan,” Minseok whispers, leaning across the table, “Luhan’s staring at me again, isn't he?”

Yifan glances behind Minseok’s shoulder.

“Uh huh.”

 


 

Junmyeon is a genius.

Not officially, but he’s damn brilliant, at least according to himself. There’s a corner of the library no one ever goes to—dusty table, weirdly springy chair, and located in the far back. He’s been going there at any chance with books about subjects first-years aren’t allowed to learn yet, but if he reads them all before the end of his first year he can gain a head start over everyone else, putting him at the top of the class.

It’s the perfect plan.

And it works, too, until a certain bumbling wizard stumbles upon his secret garden (of knowledge).

“You’re not Minseok,” Yifan observes flatly.

“You’re not supposed to be here,” Junmyeon retorts, getting up from his chair warily.

“It’s a school library,” Yifan raises his eyebrows. “Is that a Divination textbook?” He slides the book out of Junmyeon’s hands, who now looks a bit put out.

“Maybe it is.”

“Aren’t you a first year?” Yifan wonders aloud, flipping through the pages. “We’re not allowed to be reading this stuff.”

“I’m aware,” Junmyeon begins, moving to grab the book. Yifan lifts it out of his reach and steps to the side. “Give that back, will you?”

“You could get in trouble for reading this.”

“I’m…aware,” Junmyeon says curtly, “But—“

“Who could get in trouble?” A shadow reveals itself from behind a bookcase, clad in a shimmery blue robe that is clearly not the industry standard.

“Good afternoon, Professor Kibum,” Yifan says casually. Junmyeon thinks he himself might have a sudden case of lockjaw.

“Wu. Kim. Good to see you two in the library, reading up on the wonderful selection of text we have in here. Bit dusty though, wouldn’t you agree?” Kibum wrinkles his nose in distaste. “And it seems you two are doing more chatting than reading.” With a flick of his hand, the textbook floats out of Yifan’s hand and into Kibum’s.

Junmyeon pales further.

“Divination. What a fascinating subject. Although..if I recall, not something first years should concern themselves with.” He scrutinizes the two boys, letting an agonizing pause ensue for a good minute before shutting the textbook in one swift movement. “Well. I’ll take care of this, then, and don’t let me catch you two doing this again, you hear?”

“Loud and clear, Professor,” Yifan waves as Kibum exits, mumbling something about curiosity and the cat, cape fluttering in their faces.

Yifan turns to Junmyeon, who has not moved an inch for the past five minutes. “I’d better get going if I’m going to find Minseok anytime soon. Bye, Junmyeon.”

Junmyeon thanks his lucky stars he didn’t get any house points deducted as he sinks slowly back into the chair, eyes wide. He watches Yifan’s back as he walks leisurely down the aisle and his expression sours.

He would have to be extra careful in the future. Now that his plan had been uncovered, he could no longer easily nab second-year books for reading. He was so close to finishing that Divination textbook.

And he would’ve gotten away with it too, if it weren’t for that meddling Ravenclaw.

 


 

Before Minseok knows it, his first year at Hogwarts comes to an end. It all seems quite surreal to him as he sits in the Great Hall, the headmistress making the usual end-of-year announcements.

The reality of the situation hits him when the headmistress congratulates him on being top of his class in the year end exams, awarding Slytherin an extra few points that have the banners hanging from the ceiling rippling into a rich green, lined with a brilliant silver.

More smiling faces than he can count surround him, hearty claps on his back and high-fives exchanged all around, and for the first time in so many years Minseok feels like he might truly belong somewhere.

He picks Yifan’s face out in the celebrating crowd and Yifan raises his glass at him in a silent toast, grinning wide. Minseok lets out a disbelieving laugh, wetness in his eyes making it hard to see exactly what Yifan mouths at him, but he’s not too bothered—in fact, he’s got a pretty good idea of what Yifan might have been saying.

“I told you so.”


NOTES:

trying this new thing where i don't make you guys wait a month between updates. also means slightly shorter chapters...hope it doesn't disappoint! and i know it feels like things are moving a bit fast, but there ARE eight others that need introducing..

p.s. kibum is ravenclaw housemaster