Chapter 7

Don't Tell Mom

 

"Believe in yourself, you can do it"

 

 

Chapter 7

 

 

Covered in her white hospital-like gown, Hayoung looked down at her own hands questioning herself again about her own existence. There was a possibility that she heard it wrong, but it wasn't. It was the truth. The fact that she was not a human, the fact that she was made from pure science itself. It all made so much sense now, the reasons why she had suffered so much in life. Everyone hated her, the world hates her because she was in a world that she did not belong to. Perhaps maybe, all of this was an act. It was all fabricated to make her believe that being loved was possible, her parents weren't real anyway, they cared only for the sake because she was special. She didn't belong anywhere, there was no home nor a family for her. It was her fate the moment she was born. Not from a womb of a warm mother, but from a machine. 

She wanted to run away, far to a place where no one could find her. To a place where humans do not exist so that she will be all alone on that very planet itself, so that she can no longer suffer from these pains in her heart. It hurt so much.

"Why does this happen to me? Why?" mumbled Hayoung as she sobbed, cowering in the corner of a ward that wasn't very far from where she was at. She was still very weak and had trouble walking, but she managed somehow by grabbing onto the white walls and dragging her feet onwards, before collapsing onto the floor, crawling helpless with her body as she hid in a small corner. It was then, fear injected into her mind thinking that everyone around her, was going to use her. Because she was special, she was going to be tormented on, experimented on. It only made sense because she woke up in a laboratory. It only made sense why Chorong and Eunji brought her here. Trembling, she didn't want to get caught. She wanted to escape this hell fast, before she was placed back onto that bed for who knows what.

At that very moment, the door opened wide.

"D-Don't come here! Don't!" shouted Hayoung with the remaining strength that she had.

"Hayoung-ah, what's wrong?" asked Chorong in worry. It didn't take long for them to find the girl as it was easy to locate her based on the traces from the white, tattered wall.

"Hayoung-ah.." said Eunji carefully. Both of the girls had their hearts drop to the ground upon witnessing Hayoung's current condition. She was certainly very exhausted and clearly mentally unstable. It was far too obvious that she heard everything and had a hard time dealing with the truth. They tried their best to hide the secret from her, knowing the consequences. But eventually, all secrets would have to be revealed one day. That day, was today.

"Just because you're not human, doesn't mean you don't belong anywhere. You have a family now, you have a dad, a mom, we're all here to support you no matter what." said Chorong calmly walking nearer to the girl could no longer stop them as she had no more strength in herself.

"It's all fake, all of you just trying to persuade me to believe in this lie because you're just going to bring me back there with those machines to do who knows what to me! I've lost trust in everyone!"

The two girls were speechless, surprised and simply shocked to how far Hayoung's mental state was. They were lost, completely taken aback by the way Hayoung viewed everything. But it was never a lie. Both Chorong and Eunji genuinely loved her, they wanted to try their best to help her grow up into a proper enviroment just like every other ordinary teenager. 

It was in the very moment, Namjoo stepped in. She knew Hayoung better than anyone else, even though she was thought to be dead, she had spent more than three years looking after her before her "presumed" death that made Hayoung's condition to worsen. Carefully walking and gently pushing Chorong and Eunji aside, she took a glance at them with a nod, a signal to tell them that she would handle this. It's only right.

Upon seeing Namjoo right in her eyes, tears started to flow out of Hayoung's cheeks. Her trembling continued from the after-effects of sudden fear but she wasn't sure what emotions were running through her mind anymore.

"Why are you behaving like this Hayoung-ah? This isn't you. Where is that girl who didn't care a thing in the world, the girl who would bravely have so much confidence in herself?" said Namjoo calmly, going nearer and nearer to the girl who could not run.

"N..Namjoo unnie..."

"Sometimes it's difficult to accept the truth but that's how reality is Hayoung-ah. Are you just going to stay there and let the time pass like?"

"....."

"The Hayoung I knew back then would fight back. She wouldn't let anything sway her mind. That's what the real Hayoung would do right?" asked Namjoo with a smile.

With no words to say, all Hayoung could do was nod lightly. She remembered clearly, her early high school days with Namjoo. It was the truth. Why was she so shocked to know that she wasn't human? Does she have to be embarrassed to know that she was made out of science itself. The real her, wouldn't even care. The real Hayoung, would live life freely.

"Hayoung-ah, I'm sorry. But right now, you need to go back to sleep for awhile." said Namjoo as she secretly took out an injection that she hid behind her back and quickly injected it into Hayoung's veins, while she was left off-guard. Immediately, the young girl fell into Namjoo's arms unconcious. Quickly, Namjoo carried her and brought her back into the ward where the scientists, Huh Gak, Naeun and herself began an operation to stablise the girl.

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

For about three hours, Chorong and Eunji waited outside at the corridor restlessly and anxious. They had their full trust in the team to make sure that Hayoung was fine. She was already in a lot of danger as the antitode was still in process of healing yet, she forcefully pulled the tube out and tried to escape. 

A sigh escaped Chorong's mouth, breaking the silence.

"Unnie, if you keep sighing you're going to get wrinkles." said Eunji.

"Hey, this isn't the time to be joking around Eunji-ya." frowned Chorong.

"She's going to be fine. Don't worry." The girl then glanced towards her partner. "You're thinking of something again aren't you?"

"I felt a little upset...." confessed the older girl. "I can't believe Hayoung thought of us like that....we've been doing so much to help her and she..."

"And that's where we have to scold her." said Eunji, gently placing her hand on Chorong's lap. "We're her parents after all. We have to teach her the right things." 

"But even so, we're not her real-"

"Unnie. No matter what, I will still consider Hayoung like my own daughter. If you really want some legal proof, watch me. I'll go out there and get an adoption certificate verified legally. If that doesn't satisfy you, hell, marry me then."

Immediately, Chorong's face grew red.

"W-W-What are you talking about?!" stuttered Chorong as she hit the girl, embarassed.

"What? Are you not happy to be Hayoung's mother or something?" said Eunji with a laugh.

"I didn't mean that way it's just.." A sigh only let out as she could not think of anything else to counter back. "Let's just pretend this conversation didn't happen."

"But unnie, you're going to be a mother of two other kids now." giggled Eunji.

"W-W-What?!"

"I mean there's still Naeun and Namjoo. Bomi isn't even considered because she's the same age as me and that doesn't add much sense."

"You're making up nonsense again." said Chorong, hitting Eunji again.

"Okay, okay I won't say anything." laughed Eunji with a snicker, somehow enjoying this teasing.

"You guys seem to be having a good time here while we're in here, suffering." said Bomi clearing . The girl in her lab coat, leaned her body against the wall, looking exhausted as she pouted at the two. At one glance, she didn't even look like an adult at all. Bomi was like a tired kid who returned from school after a long day and obviously just wanted some attention from someone to play with. Upon looking at her, both Chorong and Eunji laughed.

"What are you laughing at? You're supposed to clap your hands and applaud me for saving Hayoung's life." pouted Bomi sadly.

"Because you're cute." laughed Eunji as she stood up and patted her head.

"Good work Bomi-ya, I honestly didn't even expect you to do things like that. Can I trust you with your skills though?" asked Chorong with a tease.

"Heck, if I had a choice, I wouldn't choose you to operate on me. I can't trust this doctor. I'd rather have Naeun or Namjoo do it." Eunji continued to tease Bomi along.

"OH WOW YOU GUYS REALLY ARE MEAN, NAEUN-AH THEY'RE BEING MEAN TO ME" whined Bomi sadly as she dragged Naeun out of the ward.

"Can you guys be quiet for even one moment?!" shouted Huh Gak from inside.

"But unnie, I'm better at you." said Naeun with a straight expression, joining in the teasing.

Both Chorong and Eunji laughed.

"NOT YOU TOO NAEUN-AH" said Bomi, betrayed. Immediately, she opened the door out wide and called for Namjoo. "NAMJOO-YA! THESE GIRLS ARE SO MEAN TO ME! SAVE ME PLEASE!"

"But Bomi unnie, you're the worst in our team." said Namjoo cooly, not even getting out as she was more focused on writing down Hayoung's health report.

"I can't believe you guys..." said Bomi in disappointment, frowning in the corner. 

Thanks to their teasing, laughter echoed along the corridor that made the atmosphere brighter and much more cheerful. It was like a momentary break from everything, a pause from their stress, their worries, all of it. 

Everyone seemed to understand, the entire situation. They all, had no place to go to. All of these girls, had no home, stripped off their identity and had no one else to depend on. But fate brought these girls together, who had different yet similar experiences. This is their new family now. This is their new home. 

Just the six of them, and their mentor, Huh Gak.

 

Huh Gak, a scientist who was stripped off his honour by disobeying the society and doing what was right.

Bomi, Naeun and Namjoo who are forgotten from the world because they were assumed to be dead and no longer had a place to go.

Chorong and Eunji who went rogue against their own allies and was now a wanted criminal among the government.

And Hayoung, who is a product of science itself is wanted greatly by the government purely as an experiment rat.

 

Together, they could work to build a better world. A world that was not blinded by the horrible creations and inventions of science that would lead to the many sufferings of young children and teenagers who could've had a bright future.

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

For the past two weeks, Hayoung's condition had stabilized but she still had to be in bed as Namjoo and Naeun took turns, to make sure that the antitode was truly effective. Huh Gak was back in the lab, working on a new set of antitode that could beat the other, so that healing could be quicker and faster. Chorong, Eunji and Bomi focused on training their martial arts while occasionally learning from Bomi, simple medicine and scientifical things that could help them. They were all a team now, and needed to be stronger in order to fight against an undefeatable enemy. The government.

The underground base was so large that it was enough to fit all seven of them, although they had to share rooms to sleep in, there was enough food and water supplies to keep everyone healthy and full.

"Unnie, how long do I have to stay in this bed?" mumbled Hayoung, laying helplessly as Namjoo took another sample of her blood.

"Soon Hayoung-ah. Just be a good girl and listen to the doctor." said the older girl.

"But it's boring, doing nothing everyday! Unnie, can't I borrow your laptop? I want to play some computer games." pouted Hayoung.

"Hayoung-ah." The older girl looked at her, only to freeze upon seeing the cutest expression ever.

"Fine." Namjoo sighed, losing to Hayoung's rare aegyo.

"Yay! Thank you unnie~" said Hayoung, grinning brightly. The girl had returned back to her normal, happier self. 

"Ah, but don't tell mom about this." the girl said, reminded of what happened the last time she was caught playing the laptop by Chorong. It was certainly fearful and scary.

"Hey and what do you think will happen to me then? Chorong unnie's going to scold me too!" said Namjoo.

"But you're doing it for me right~" said Hayoung as she stretched her arms and hugged Namjoo's arm.

"Ah, what do I do with you?" sighed Namjoo, unable to resist her cute dongsaeng's charms. Hayoung has been acting like that ever since she realised that Namjoo was never dead since the beginning and she understood how she must've felt. The girl was obviously super elated and never wanted Namjoo to leave her side ever again. After all, they were inseperable.

Meanwhile, Chorong and Eunji were alone in a makeshift workout room, where the two quietly did their own exercises with the temporary machines. They needed to make sure that they were fit and prepared for any unexpected situations. For all that could know, the government could find this place any moment and they had to risk their lives to protect the team. They were of course, better at fighting compared to medicine or science.

"Hey unnie, don't you think Hayoung's been too clingy to Namjoo these days?" said Eunji while she was doing push-ups.

"Well, she's closer to Namjoo and I'm sure she's happy that she's alive." said Chorong, carefully lighting weights at the corner.

"I'm sad. She's even getting closer to Naeun as well. Do we have that much of an ?" asked Eunji.

"Well, I don't know but you seem close to Naeun." said Chorong coldly.

Immediately, Eunji could sense the sudden cold atmosphere in the air.

"Unnie, don't tell me..." said the younger girl as she stopped her exercise, took her towel, wrapped in around her neck and went to her partner. "Are you jealous?" she asked.

"N-No, what do you mean?" said Chorong, flustered as she turned away. "You're always so happy around her, even doing things like patting her and all that..." the girl mumbled while making some actions that imitated the way Eunji would pat Naeun's .

"Oh? If that's the case, you're always happy when Bomi's around. You laugh at her jokes, she's always touching you all over your body, there was also one time I found you guys sleeping together at the lab." sneered Eunji as she crossed her arms.

"It's because Bomi's funny and she likes skinship...that one time was because she was teaching me something about things in the lab and I fell asleep so she fell asleep as well" said Chorong, trying to put her reasonings.

"Oh, if that's the case, I have my own excuses. I'm going to get killed if I touch your even once. But Naeun's is the perfect size and it's always cute whenever I pat her . That girl's very clumsy and the things she does is adorable, that's why I'm always smiling." said Eunji, having her own counter-attack.

"Then what about me?" asked Chorong.

"Then what about me?" followed Eunji, repeating the girl's question.

A sigh broke in the middle of their "fight".

"You're enjoying this aren't you?" asked Chorong, noticing the silent snicker from the girl.

"You can never win me verbally unnie." grinned Eunji widely.

"Why did I fall in love with such a cheeky girl?" sighed the older girl.

"Why did I fall in love with such a cute unnie?" smiled Eunji as she moved nearer but Chorong placed her palm right in front of her face.

"Not when you're stinky and soaked in sweat." the girl shook her head.

"Then what about this?" smirked Eunji cheekily as all a sudden, she raised her armpits up high.

"WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!" screamed Chorong in a dolphin-like tone as she chased after the girl who ran as fast as she could.

Like children, the girls chased each other along the corridor. Situations like these were normal, it was just an ordinary day at the lab as there will never be a quiet moment around. It was to a point where Huh Gak had trouble focusing on his work sometimes, but he didn't really mind. The mood was happier when the girls were around, life in the underground lab wasn't as lonely as it was, ten years ago.

 

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

"Bomi unnie, please focus." said Naeun as she was focusing on the microscope.

"They're having so much fun. I wanna join too..." pouted Bomi sadly, hearing the echoes of Chorong's dolphin scream and Eunji's laughter along the corridor.

"Please concentrate. You can join them later but this is important." sighed Huh Gak.

"Right oppa." said Bomi immediately as she returned back to work.

The three had been busy the past week, working on a new version of the antitode was successful on Hayoung. But they wanted to re-examine any faults as it proved to be still, weak and took longer time for the patient to recover. Namjoo too, was part of the process but it seemed that they were lacking something. Something essential.

"Ah, this won't do." said Huh Gak as he got out of his seat. The experiment was a failure.

"What do we do now Huh Gak oppa?" asked Naeun in worry.

"Even if we make duplicates of the current antitode, it is still possible right?" asked Bomi.

"Unnie, that is still dangerous." said Naeun.

"R-Really?" asked Bomi confused.

"Call everybody in for meeting. It's important." sighed Huh Gak as he left the lab, taking his coffee mug with him. "And tell Namjoo to bring Hayoung with her. She should be able to walk on her own now." he said before shutting the door behind.

The two girls looked at each other dumbfoundedly. They wondered what kind of plans he had in mind.

It took awhile before they could gather everyone in the room. Chorong and Eunji had to take a quick shower as obviously, it would be impolite to enter while still soaked in sweat. Namjoo helped Hayoung to walk all the way and impressively, the younger girl didn't even need assistance. She could walk just fine as if it was nothing. It appears the antitode finally did the trick after so long and she was back to normal, just like what Huh Gak had said earlier.

"So why did you call all of us here for oppa? Even Hayoung's here." asked Eunji as everyone gathered and sat at the limited couches available. There wasn't space left thus the girl brought Hayoung to sit on her lap, proceeding to wrap her arms around her waist like a pillow.

"Our efforts for the past weeks to re-invent a new, stronger version of the antitode has failed." sighed Huh Gak.

"But Hayoung is totally fine now, even though it took a long time for her to recover." said Chorong.

"Unnie, remember that Hayoung isn't human." said Namjoo. "I'm sorry Hayoung-ah, I didn't want to say it in case it bothers you again but.."

"It's okay unnie, it doesn't matter anymore. I don't care. I'm going to live life the way I want whether or not I'm an alien or something like that." smiled Hayoung, now completely unaffected at the truth.

"That's a relief." said Chorong as she looked at both Hayoung and Namjoo who gazed at each other lovingly. She was like a proud mother, happy to see her child happy again. 

"This means that it will still be deadly to use against the normal children and teenagers right, Huh Gak oppa?" asked Naeun.

"That is correct." nodded Huh Gak. "

"Oppa, don't tell me...." said Bomi, somehow feeling uneasy.

"With the limited resources that we have, there's only one way to do this. We have to go out there and steal whatever information that we can get. Every single detail of all of the researches that they are conducting on these children, we can find out what kind of parts that we are missing. Not only that, we can gain more connections from the outside and forming more allies who have the same mindset as us. A bigger team means a stronger power to defeat the government itself. But...." Huh Gak explained with a pause.

"It means we're going to start risking our lives again right?" asked Eunji.

"Unfortunately....yes." said the man with much difficulty. As much as he did not want to come down to this decision, there was no other choice. He was no fighter, but in her team, there were girls who were skilled and capable of fighting. They were Chorong, Bomi and Eunji who formerly worked under the agency that was controlled closely by the government. It was huge risk and definitely, he did not want to lose them. To them, they were like his daughters.

"Well, that's totally fine. I'm always prepared anyways." said Eunji cooly.

"That's right, the only ones capable of going back out there would be the three of us right? I want to help out too since the two of us can't do these science things well." said Chorong in agreement.

"Yeah me too! I'm totally sick of being in lab for years already! I need fresh air oppa!" said Bomi.

"I want to go back too! I miss going to the internet cafe!" said Hayoung out of nowhere.

"Hey, this is not about having fun. You're staying here." scolded Chorong to which Hayoung sulked in response.

"It's even more dangerous to have you out there. Don't you know the whole world is looking for you?" scolded Eunji, gently hitting the girl's as a punishment.

"Hey, you two make sure she doesn't plan an escape while we three are out there." said Bomi to both Naeun and Namjoo.

"Thank you girls." said Huh Gak with a smile. He was thankful and grateful that they agreed onto such a dangerous mission that could last for a long time. 

"So, what's the plan boss?" asked Eunji. Her eyes were burning with passion, motivation to do whatever she could to help.

"We are ready whenever you need us to go." said Chorong.

"Alright, here's the plan." explained Huh Gak, introducing a strategy he had implemented far ahead.

The meeting went on for hours and hours, often having breaks in the middle as the girls always got hungry easily. But a decision was finally made. A mission that was ready to be executed and the girls were ready to head back to the outside world, the cruel, heartless world as they would risk their lifes again, knowing that they could die any moment.

Eunji and Bomi were tasked as scouts to spy on the facility, government and research centres while staying undercover, making use of run-down motels or hotels to stay in order to keep out of sight while on the other hand, Naeun, Namjoo were tasked to work together with Huh Gak to continue producing the new version of the antitode that can prove helpful towards normal children and teenagers that have been affected by the facility's experiments. Someone had to stay in the lab as a protector and Chorong was tasked with the role.

Hayoung on the other hand, was ordered to stay behind and make use of her fast memory to learn skills that can help protect herself. Although the girl wasn't quite satisfied getting stuck in the lab, but she understood that they wanted to protect her at all costs. Having no choice but to agree, Hayoung followed their instructions and stayed behind.

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

At the front of the hidden entrance that lead itself to the outside world, both Bomi and Eunji stood by, ready with all of their materials and weapons as they prepared to head out. Equipped with a backpack, a handy belt, gloves, mask, the 93-liners looked at each other and smiled. It had been awhile since they went on a mission together and they were sure that it was going to go well, because they had each other's back.

"The two of you have to come back safely alright?" said Chorong with worry, sad that she could not go with them.

"Remember not to fool around and just get the information that we need." reminded Naeun.

"If anything happens, use the phone or the walkie-talkie that I've given you. They are special as the government can't trace the calls." said Huh Gak.

"Alright, alright. I got it~ you don't have to repeat that again~" whined Bomi, obviously more excited to head out.

"We won't die. I'll promise you." smiled Eunji as her eyes were only on Chorong. She knew that the girl must've been so worried, knowing fully well that she loves taking risks to the point that she may even die because of her own actions.

"You'd better or I'll even haunt your soul if that happens." said Chorong, not wanting to let go of the girl's hand.

"Wait, where's Hayoung?" asked Bomi, noticing that Namjoo and Hayoung were missing.

"Oh wow, her dad's not going to come back in awhile and she doesn't use this chance to say goodbye?" sighed Eunji disappointed.

"Maybe she feels better to not see you off, because you know that girl is always thinking nonsense in her head. Don't worry, I'll be sure to give her an earful later." said Chorong.

"It's a mom's job to do the nagging after all." giggled Eunji.

"Um, excuse me...." said Bomi as she cleared . "The two of you sure got really close during those five years huh?" the girl continued, eyeing them with a sneer.

This caused the two 93-liners to bicker again, each arguing who Chorong would choose over the two of them.

"Oh gosh, can I even trust these two to do the mission properly?" sighed Huh Gak in worry, watching the two behave like children.

"Unnies, you have to go now. The gate is ready." instructed Naeun.

"Guess we have to go huh? Come on Eunji, let's do this." said Bomi with a deep breath, standing in front of the gate that was slowly opening.

"We'll definitely come back in one piece." said Eunji confidently before turning to look at Chorong for one last time. "I love you." she whispered so that no one else could hear.

Feeling the strong, fresh air of the outside world gushing through as the gate widened, the two girls took one final glance at everyone before climbing up. They wanted this moment to remain forever in their hearts, like a saved picture so that they could look at it as long as they want. But everything happened so quickly. It only took a few seconds before the gate closed, leaving the two 93-liner friends all alone in the abadoned garage, the entrance immediately hidden away as if it was never there in the beginning.

"Alright, let's do this Bomi-ya." sighed Eunji as she wrapped her arm around her friend's shoulder.

"But can't we go and get like proper food first? I'm really sick of eating the food in that place already. Can't we get like good, steamy and delicious budae jjigae?" asked Bomi as her eyes lit up, while rubbing her stomach.

"Now that you think of it, I'm pretty hungry too. Hey, you have cash on you right?" asked Eunji, taking the bait.

"Huh Gak oppa gave me like 850,000won"

"WHAT THE, GIVE IT TO ME"

"NO WAY IM GONNA USE THIS FOR SOMETHING ELSE"

"HELL NO WE ARE SUPPOSED TO SHARE THAT"

"Oh god, i can't believe you two are like this." sighed a familar voice as there was a silhouette of a young girl at the front of the garage.

"Wait......no way....don't tell me...." said Bomi as she frozed.

"What in the world are you doing here?!" said Eunji, flustered.

"Don't tell mom about this, okay?" smiled the girl widely. She was none other than, Oh Hayoung.

 

 

 

[END OF CHAPTER 7]

 

 

 


A/N: Oh Hayoung, you are in deep trouble when Chorong finds out about this. Do share your thoughts on this chapter and stayed tuned for the next. Unfortunately, Chapter 8 will be the last :( Thank you for reading and subscribing!