Chapter 6

Don't Tell Mom

 

"When we are together, we are stronger."

 

 

Chapter 6

 

 

Is this a dream? It just didn't seem to make sense anymore. Her friend, whom she had cherished so much passed away five years ago from an accident. It was an accident that had costly greatly and caused a huge trauma for Chorong. She could still vividly remember attending the funeral, her memories of her continous cries and shouts to tell Bomi to wake up, to tell her that she was fooling around before realising that, she was truly gone. She was in the hands of heavens now. Everything shattered. Here she was, right in front of her. The Bomi who died, is alive again.

Frozen, the girl was completely lost. She had still not recovered from the fact that Eunji was not dead and yet, Bomi was here. She wasn't even sure if these were feelings of happiness or confusion that filled her heart. She didn't know anymore.

"I'll tell you everything later unnie. Just like what I did Eunji. For now, get in. We don't have time." said Bomi as she took her hand and got her into the car. Upon closing the car, the girl smiled. She felt sorry, for disappearing. But it was because the situation became like this, she had no other choice.

It was then, Eunji finally arrived back with Hayoung in her arms. Getting into the car as well, it was the signal to move. Huh Gak stepped on the accelarators as the car zoomed off, away from the apartment building that would soon be bombarded by government guards and police who are currently on a hunt for them. In the car, there was a momentary silence as Bomi and Eunji exchanged glances with each other, wondering how to explain the whole story to Chorong, to their unnie.

"Honestly unnie, I was shocked too. It took me awhile to realise that Bomi is really alive. I mean look, she's real." said Eunji as she grabbed Bomi's arm and pinched it.

"Ouch! Why did you do that Eunji-ya!" shouted Bomi.

"Gosh, can you two quiet down?" sighed Huh Gak as he focused on driving.

"Sorry oppa!" both Eunji and Bomi said in unison. "Eunji-ya, your daughter is pretty cute." said Bomi as she looked at Hayoung who was fast asleep.

"Told you. But be careful, she can be pretty scary too." said Eunji with a laugh, like a proud father.

"I'm glad...." said Chorong finally, after awhile as she wiped her tears away. For the first time in weeks, she was finally able to paint a smile over a face. "That the two of you are back...." she said.

 

 

Five years ago, Chorong, Bomi and Eunji were considered as the top-three agents in the agency and were always grouped together for special missions. They stuck onto each other like glue, never leaving each other's side. The 93-liners were often noisy together, like a Tom and Jerry duo who would bicker and prank around while the oldest one, Chorong would have to keep an eye on them to make sure they didn't fool around while on missions. It seemed so happy whenever they were together, until the accident that broke them apart. Bomi's sudden death made a huge impact in their lives and it felt like a nightmare that will never end.

But perhaps, at the end, it was never a nightmare in the beginning. Because, there was still a small light of hope.

A hope to believe the small chances, even the slightest to dream that Bomi is alive.

A dream, that came true.

 

 

"Unnie, let me explain everything to you slowly at a time. I'm sure you have many questions, about me, about Bomi, about Gak oppa, I'll tell you everything. I will. But now, we need to save Hayoung." said Eunji, calmly while wiping Chorong's tears away with her little finger.

"That's right, it's a miracle that she's able to survive this long from the side effects. This girl is truly a fighter. Most die within days, but she is really something." said Bomi. "It's all thanks to our genius scientist Gak oppa over there who was able to create the antidote. Once she's injected, she will be safe and sound." she continued with a smile.

"Oppa, is that the fastest you can drive?!" scolded Eunji.

"Excuse me, I'm not an ambulance driver and I have to obey the road law." sighed Huh Gak.

"Hey, don't speak to him like that. He's older than you." said Chorong as she furrowed her eyebrows.

"Yikes, I mean um, sorry Gak oppa. Just drive faster thank you..." cleared Eunji with a throat while laughing nervously.

"Thank you Chorong-ah. It was a good choice to have you around." said Huh Gak with a smile as he sped up.

"Wow, unnie really hasn't changed much these five years. She's really the same." laughed Bomi while never letting her sight from Chorong. There were a lot of mixed feeling here and there, and it's partially her fault. She should've told her sooner, five years earlier, that she was never dead. She could've said it sooner, so that her unnie would not have suffered so much about her loss.

As the former teammates spent some time catching up with each other, they soon arrived at a garage, that looked like it was abandoned. but obviously, this was made as a disguise to prevent government officials from knowing. It may not look like much, but there was a secret entrance hidden underground, which was activated through a camouflaged lever and lead the girls into a rather, spacious laboratory in the lower basement. There were many corridors packed with various wards, rooms, it was far unimaginable to think that such a big space existed underground.

With haste, Eunji and Bomi carried Hayoung into one of the empty wards and began injecting a strange-coloured injection through one of her veins. It appeared to be the antitode, that would save her life. Chorong looked on anxiously, her hands together as she prayed while Huh Gak glanced at the older girl.

With a gentle pat on Chorong's shoulder, Huh Gak smiled. "Don't worry. She'll be fine. My medicine never fails." 

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

Chorong was asked to wait outside, as Huh Gak, Bomi and Eunji got to work. Shutting the door behind her, they started operating on machines, placed tubes and a breathing mask onto the still-asleep girl as they performed things like what doctors would do, despite them not having any medical experience besides Huh Gak himself.

She had no idea what they were going to do with Hayoung but she had her full trust. She had a long day, spending a whole week trying her best to keep Hayoung alive, hiding in the shadows to visit pharmacies in secret and often having scares to think that the child may never wake up again. All alone in the empty corridor, she had a lot to think about. A strange happiness that wrapped her heart, her friends whom she had thought were gone, where her future continues and how all of this will end. Frozen in silence as she stared into the white space, someone walked along the corridor in the far distance. From afar, she had a slim figure with ant-size waist as she wore her white lab coat while walking casually. Closer, she seemed very beautiful, her beauty was certainly amazing for a normal scientist. Perhaps, she is one of Huh Gak's assistants or another girl saved from demise. No one really knows and Chorong already had too many things to think about.

"You must be....Chorong...unnie right?" asked the lady as she bent down slightly, to look at her.

"Mm...." she answered quietly, still quite in a daze from what happened.

"I understand that you must've had a long day, there's a lot of things that happened but don't worry, Eunji unnie told me about everything. It's going to be alright now." the lady said with a smile.

"It went by so fast..I thought I was going to die, we were going to die and.." mumbled Chorong.

In that moment, the door opened and Eunji exited, looking at both Chorong and the lady.

"Looks like the two of you have already met." smiled Eunji brightly. "Hayoung's fine unnie, don't worry. She's stable and all she needs now, is plenty of rest." she continued while looking at Chorong.

"Welcome back Eunji unnie, I'm guessing it went well?" asked the lady in the lab coat.

"Of course~ the antitode is truly a miracle. What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be back in the lab doing the research that Gak oppa told you to do?"

"I'm here to take care of her. Huh Gak oppa told me to do so." said the lady as she looked at Chorong.

"You don't need to. I'll take care of her Naeun-ah, it's okay. You can go back." said Eunji as she lightly patted Naeun's as if, indirectly telling her that she needed a private moment with Chorong. But at one look, they seemed pretty close as if they've been friends for a long time.

"But Huh Gak oppa-"

"Ah, don't listen to him. He might be a good doctor and scientist but other than that, he's not good at anything else." whispered Eunji with a smirk.

"Fine. Just make sure to run out her health report for me, thank you." sighed Naeun as if she's heard this many times before, and left.

"Who's that Eunji-ya?" asked Chorong with curiousity. For some reason, her heart felt slightly hurt to see Eunji getting so friendly with a girl whom she had never met before. 

"Let's talk in a more private place. I have so many things to tell you." said Eunji as she grabbed her hands and dragged her, bringing the two into a small room that seemed like a make-shift sick bay with limited medicinal resources.

Meanwhile, Naeun returned to her station in the small lab. With a sigh leaving , she seemed a little disappointment for a particular reason. Sitting back down, she wore her glasses and started checking some reports scattered over her desk.

"How was it unnie? Is she fine?" said a bubbly voice from behind. There was another girl wearing a lab uniform as she came over.

"The antitode did the trick." nodded Naeun.

"Ah, that's a relief. Really." said the girl.

"Well, aren't you going to see her?" asked Naeun as she looked at her. "I mean, it's been a long time right, Namjoo-ya?"

"Honestly, I'm scared unnie. I don't think I'm ready to face Hayoung yet." said the girl with worry.

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

In one of the empty rooms, there was only silence as Eunji was busy performing health checks on Chorong, measuring her blood pressure, checking her eyes, mouth and chest and writing down small, little notes on a report, almost as if she was a doctor. The older girl kept quiet while just staring at her, wondering where in the world did she learn these skills. Perhaps during the past week where she had been presumed to be dead, she was training at this lab under Huh Gak's instructions to the point where she could even perform first-aid.

"Unnie..could you like...not stare at me like that?" asked Eunji with a nervous laugh, breaking the silence.

"Ah, sorry. It's just...weird to see you doing all this." 

"Well, Huh Gak oppa is a pretty good teacher. He's also a doctor, a scientist and also a pretty smart guy too. Thanks to his wits, he saved my life." said Eunji. "Alright, it's done. There's nothing wrong with you unnie, the only thing you need is rest. Looks like you've had a lot of stress lately." she continued as she placed her pen down.

"Yeah, thanks to you."

"I'm sorry unnie." said Eunji as she turned around, held her hands carefully and looked straight into her eyes. For a moment, Chorong's heart skipped a beat by her sudden actions.

"W-Why are you suddenly doing that..."

"It's my fault. If I had gotten to you sooner, you wouldn't need to suffer so much. Hayoung didn't have to suffer so much. The moment I woke up in this place, I should've escaped and ran straight to you. But, I couldn't. I'm sorry." said the younger girl with a frown as she looked down. She was sorry, there were many emotions bottled up in her heart but she didn't want to show it. She was a strong girl after all who didn't want anyone to see her cry or look weak. 

"It's okay."

Upon hearing her words, the girl raised her head.

"As long as you and Hayoung are alive and breathing, it's okay. What's even better, Bomi is also alive. This is all....not a dream right?"

"Mm, it isn't. I'm right here unnie." smiled Eunji as she took Chorong's hand and placed it against her chest, so that she could feel her heart beat.

"I love you Eunji-ya."

Immediately, Eunji grinned widely, before snickering softly.

"Hey, why are you laughing, it took me a lot of effort to say that...." mumbled Chorong as she hit Eunji's hand.

"It's cute unnie, too cute for my heart. I've never seen you like this before." the girl giggled.

"Because I thought you were dead but all of the sudden you show up in the middle of nowhere and-" Before Chorong could even continue her little nag, Eunji placed a gentle peck on her lips.

"Since I'm not dead, we can be in love for as long as we want. I'm not going anywhere unnie." said Eunji as she looked into her eyes. "I won't make you cry anymore, promise."

"Then promise me you won't risk your life again."

"Promise." said Eunji as she moved in for the kiss, taking the first lead bravely because she knew that Chorong wouldn't have much courage to kiss first. Like a man, she took the initiative while Chorong followed. Their lips interwined each other deeply, expressing their longing for each other, their fire burned strongly because they never wanted to be apart. The fear of losing their other half, the struggles, challenges that they have went through over the past week, was all settled simply by their lips. Quietly in a private room with just the two of them, it was more than enough to calm their uneasy hearts knowing that their future now, would hopefully be brighter.

As long as they were together, there was no enemy that they could not defeat.

 

 

~X~

 

 

After awhile, the two lovebirds decided to head out to hand in Chorong's health report to Naeun. She was at the other lab at the end of the corridor, stretching far across as scattered along the way were other empty rooms that were used for various purposes, some had beds to rest while others had medical and scientifical supplies that were probably used to do research and experiments. Walking along the hallway that seemed endless, they met Huh Gak and Bomi along the way.

"Good news, Hayoung's already stable so she should wake up anytime now!" shouted Bomi across the hallway as she waved excitedly.

"Oh my, why is she behaving like that.." whispered Chorong with a giggle.

"She really hasn't changed even after five years" whispered Eunji back as they soon reached each other at one point.

"I don't think I've properly introduced myself." said Huh Gak as he wiped his hand with his lab coat. "I'm Huh Gak, I used to be a researcher at the government's facility but I decided to go rogue because the things they were doing in there were completely wrong." he continued as Chorong shook his hand.

"Pleased to meet you, Mr.Huh Gak." 

Upon hearing Chorong calling him a "Mr", both Bomi and Eunji bursted into laughter.

"W-What? Did I say something wrong?" stuttered Chorong shyly as she slowly moved behind Eunji, gently grabbing on her sleeve.

"You can just call me oppa. I'm not really that old. It's a pleasure to finally meet you Chorong-ssi, it's a great addition to the team." Huh Gak continued, clearing his throat as a method to quiet the two 93-liners.

"Team?"

"Yes, I believe it's time to finally explain to you everything that's happening. Although I've already said this to Eunji already, I don't mind repeating the whole story. Let's go to somewhere more comfortable so that I can also introduce you to everyone." said Huh Gak as he lead the three girls into a rather, spacious lounge room that was right next to the ward, Hayoung was in. It was a complete change, no one would've expected that it was even a place that existed in such a lab-like area. It had a rather, modern interior design, tables, couches, coffee makers and a small fridge tucked in a corner, seemed like a perfect place for scientists to take a break.

"Bomi, would've you mind calling to rest to come over? Tell them it's a meeting. An important one." instructed Huh Gak to which Bomi obeyed with a nod, leaving the room. With the door shut behind, he turned to look at both Chorong and Eunji who were sitting side-by-side.

"Where shall I start?" he sighed, believing that this talk would go on for hours. 

"I think unnie would want my questions answered first. I'm sure she's curious about what happened the past week." said Eunji as she glanced at her partner, knowing her best. "Right?" 

Chorong could only nod in silence. She wasn't good with meeting with strangers and all she could do was to depend on her.

"Here's how it happened. Sorry if it disturbs you a little, but I've been watching the two of you all along ever since you took Hayoung in. It was simply because of a simple reason, I had to keep an eye on that girl to make sure that she wasn't taken by those government rats. But I already knew at first glance, that the two of you would eventually realise that the path you are walking, is not the right one. That's when, I had to step in before it's too late."

 

 

 

[FLASHBACK]

 

 

 

Taking one final glance at the closed door, Eunji was able to confirm that Chorong and Hayoung managed to escaped safely. That was all that matters to her. Her life meant nothing, if her loved ones were hurt. Reloading her gun as she aimed towards the large group of guards running straight at her, she was ready to fight. For a moment, memories of her past flashed through her mind. The days of her childhood, her parents, her life and most importantly, her days working together with her long-time partner, Park Chorong. To think that she will never be able to create more memories, it ached her heart. Slowly taking a deep breath, she mumbled to herself "Let's do it Eunji-ya". 

The moment she was able to pull the trigger however, the ceiling suddenly exploded as the debris fell onto the ground, creating a gigantic wall to block the guards from reaching Eunji. It was then, she heard a voice calling her from above. There were a group of girls in a rather, small, tiny helicopter. 

"Stop standing there you idiot! Catch the rope!" shouted a familiar voice. As she looked up, Eunji gasped. She wondered if everything was just a dream, there was no way that it was her. Bomi was dead. But yet, there she was, right in her eyes. Due to the explosion, her ears were still ringing and she couldn't really hear anything at all. Frozen, Eunji had no idea what to do or what in the world was even going on.

"Unnie, she can't hear us! Due to the explosion, her ears are-" said one girl. She was Naeun.

"Why the hell is she jumping down?! Is she crazy?!" said another girl speechlessly. She was Namjoo.

Bomi was like a daredevil, jumping straight down from the torn ceiling as she took the rope and wrapped it around Eunji's waist, before signalling to her team to pull it upwards.

"Hey, I'm not dreaming right? You're Bomi right?" mumbled Eunji with her eyes wide open.

"No time to talk. We have to get you out of here, fast." said Bomi as she fastened the belt, making sure that it was tight. "Pull her up!" she shouted.

Immediately, the helicopter flew upwards as the rope was slowly dragged nearer and nearer to the cockpit. It was to the point where Bomi held onto Eunji tightly as the two floated in the air, as the view from below became smaller and smaller. Safely, the two managed to climb into the helicopter with the help of the two other girls as they headed off somewhere to a secret location that nobody knew about. 

It all happened too quickly. Far too quick.

 

 

~X~

 

 

Eunji was placed in one of the wards where scientist Son Naeun was tending her wounds from the explosion while Bomi was outside having a quick talk with Huh Gak regarding Chorong and Hayoung.

"Sorry, everything's too sudden but do not worry, we don't mean any harm at all. We are here to help you." said Naeun calmly, wrapping a bandage around Eunji's arm that was caused by the explosion.

"No. I need to go to where Chorong unnie and Hayoung is." insisted Eunji.

"You can't. It's dangerous." said Naeun as she tried to hold the girl back.

"Look, I appreciate the help and everything but there's something more important that I must go to." said Eunji as she was stronger, able to resist Naeun as she headed for the door. It was in that very moment, the door opened and Bomi was standing right in front of her.

"I knew you'd be like this. You never change do you, Eunji-ya?" said Bomi, blocking her path.

"Move. I don't care if you're a ghost or something but-"

"I know. It's about Chorong unnie and Hayoung. We know. But if you go on like this, you won't be able to find them." said Bomi.

"That's right, you can't go out like that. The world has their eyes on you. The moment you get out of this place, you'll be caught." said Huh Gak as he moved in.

"Then do you expect me to wait here and do nothing?! Hayoung might be out there fighting for her life! I don't even know what Chorong unnie might be going through at this very moment to keep her alive! I have to be there for her!"

"Eunji, calm down." said Bomi as she held her friend's shoulders. 

"I still need time to make the antitode that will save Hayoung. The faster you cooperate with us, the sooner we can save them." said Huh Gak.

"What? Antitode?" 

"Sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Huh Gak. I used to work under the governement as a science researcher and yes, I am the also the one who stole Hayoung from the facility so that she can live a better life in the outside world." 

Upon hearing those words, Eunji managed to calm down a little. Understanding their real motives now, she decided to help them out in making the antitode so that Hayoung can be saved. There wasn't much time and they needed to work quick.

For the past seven days, things had been so busy that even Eunji herself didn't even had time to catch a little wink of sleep. She worked together with the team of scientists consisting of Huh Gak, Bomi, Naeun and Namjoo who were in the middle of building the antitode. She managed to learn a lot of things, especially from Naeun who took good care of her and taught her many things that were strange to the fighter. Medicine and science wasn't her kind of thing, but she forced herself to learn so that she could save her loved ones.

 

 

 

 

[END OF FLASHBACK]

 

 

 

"I'm sorry that we were so late. But at least, the antitode worked with our efforts and Hayoung is safe." said Huh Gak, managing to tell the whole story. It was at that moment, there was a knock on the door. Bomi returned with Namjoo and Naeun as they also gathered around and sat down on the couches.

"Allow me to introduce to you my small team of researchers. You've already known Bomi. This is Naeun and that's Namjoo. We're aren't much and we certainly need more help especially in terms of strong fighters. Previously, Bomi's the only one who could protect us all but now, we have you two." Huh Gak continued.

"So you're asking us to join your team?" asked Chorong after analysing the situation.

"We have no other choice unnie. We have already seen what's happening out there, remember those children at the facility? If we can mass-produce this antitode, we can save all of them so that they can have a brighter future just like our Hayoung." said Eunji, trying to convince her partner.

"I believe in Huh Gak oppa. If it wasn't for him, the three of us here would've been dead." said Bomi.

"Dead?" asked Chorong.

"Oh yeah, you still haven't explained to me why in the world you're alive, Bomi-ya. You too, Namjoo. Although we have met briefly, but Hayoung has mentioned you before." said Eunji as she turned to the three girls.

"Hayoung....talked about me?" said Namjoo, surprised yet unsure what to feel. 

"I'm sure she will be so happy to see you." smiled Eunji.

"Let's take this time to answer all of the questions you need." said Huh Gak. "I am a scientist. I am also a researcher and I am also a doctor. About ten years ago, I have been working solo, creating things in secret to figure out how to fight against such a big enemy. But that's when I realised, I needed help. I needed a team."

"Honestly, these three girls were all coincidental. They all died on the same day and they were lucky that I was there during their moment of death. I couldn't have such young girls with bright future to die like that. I thought I was crazy at first, to take their bodies from the mortuary and bring them back to my lab, I started performing my experiments with the knowledge that I had gained back at the facility. For four months, I worked hard and I made a miracle. I brought these three girls back from the dead. I sound crazy, I do. But I needed help. I couldn't do this alone and they too, agreed to learn from me, to become scientists to save the world."

"Wow, that isn't science...that's black magic...." said Eunji, trying to digest the rather, uncomfortable truth.

"I'm sorry if I have disturbed you. But what's important now is Hayoung." said Huh Gak, wanting to change the topic.

"I know. They told us about what Hayoung really is." said Chorong, finally speaking.

"We know that she isn't human. She's a product from science itself." said Eunji.

It was in that moment, there was a sudden thud from the door. It was as if someone was eavesdropping their conversation.

Bomi who already felt something suspicious at the beginning immediately went out, walked straight towards Hayoung's ward, hoping that it was not what she had thought to be.

"Oh ." cursed Bomi as she stared at the empty bed, wires and tubes on the mattress.

"Guys! Huge problem! Hayoung's gone!!" shouted Bomi as she ran back.

"She's what??" gasped Naeun.

"Oh no....search every compound now! It's dangerous to have her walking around in that condition!" ordered Huh Gak in urgency as he got out of his seat. "You girls are coming along as well, right?" asked Huh Gak as he turned towards Chorong and Eunji.

"Of course, our daughter has gone again. Does it look like we would just sit around?" said Eunji.

"But...what if she heard everything? What if...she knows about the truth?" said Chorong in worry.

"Then, we as her parents must be there to guide her so that she wouldn't fall into the wrong path again." said Eunji with a smile as she held her hand warmly. "Let's go get our troublesome daughter, unnie."

 

 

 

[END OF CHAPTER 6]

 

 

 


A/N: The puzzle is beginning to piece together but now a new danger has occured! Oh Hayoung, what do you think you're doing?! Do share your thoughts of this chapter and I will update the next one soon~ Thank you for reading and subscribing!