Chapter 2

Don't Tell Mom

 

"In order to recieve love, we must first learn to give love"

 

 

Chapter 2

 

 

She had no idea that Hayoung would outsmart her by making an escape. Looking out at the window that was wide open, she couldn't believe that the high schooler would've possibly done that. She couldn't have jumped out from the window that was literally four floors down the building. But yet again, this child was not normal.

Quickly taking out her phone, she sent a simple text message to her partner and proceeded to climb over the window, carefully grasping the edge as she slowly went down. She was trained to handle situations like these without getting hurt. But for a high-schooler like Hayoung, she would've definitely gotten hurt while escaping and this made her worry more. The thought of a child who would choose to inflict pain on herself, hurt her heart. Just who was Hayoung? Why was she doing this? Eunji was more than curious about her, concerned and wanting to help her out with all that she can, because a child shouldn't be living like that.

Back at the car, Chorong looked worriedly as she stared towards the run-down orphanage building that certainly needed maintainence. It was then, her phone rang with a message from her partner.

"She escaped, i'll go after her. Don't worry about it, I'll meet you back at the house."

Working together as a duo for five years, they have earned each other's trust and just by that, the older girl obeyed her and believed that she would find her. After all, it would turn messy if she tried to help out since too many cooks spoil the broth.

Pulling the handbrake down, she drove off to the house that was said to be their new home for the next three years. A small, quaint apartment building completely paid and owned by the government, just for this very mission. It's all, for that girl who's currently running on loose.

Eunji who managed to climb back down to the surface, reached at the backyard of the orphanage where there was a tall fence towering her small height. But it was no problem. Like a monkey, she jumped from corner to corner, making full use of the stones and edges to climb across, leading her to a narrow alleyway. Scanning the pathway for any trace of where Hayoung could've run off, she smiled upon seeing a small footprint made by stepping on water.

"You can't run far, Hayoung-ah." mumbled Eunji to herself with confidence. Following the tracks, it lead her out onto the open road where there were a bunch of shoplots at the side. There were small restuarants, a mart and an internet cafe right at the corner. As it was still in the afternoon, the crowd wasn't as overwhelming and it was easy to look through the windows, in search of the high-schooler. Making use of her experience, kids at her age would definitely head to the internet cafe.

And boy, she was right.

 

~X~

 

 

Just upon entering the entrance, there was a lone girl playing at one of the cubicles. Her eyes fully engrossed onto the screen, hands dancing on the keyboard and had an expression that looked like she was ready to kill. Normally, girls wouldn't play violent games like that but she was different. Eunji didn't want to disturb her and instead, stood behind and waited patiently. She wanted to quietly observe her and understand the true Hayoung. Quietly over a few minutes, the high schooler would randomly curse out and at times, apologized for killing the wrong player. Eunji found this adorable as she tried to hold her laughter. 

"Hayoung is cute. So this is what she's like when her shield is down. She's so different when she's around us. I'm really interested in this girl." 

For about 15 minutes, Eunji quietly stood behind her chair and watched her gameplay. Surprisingly, she's quite good at it. Although the agent had no idea how video games work but by looking at the kill score, she was in first place. Soon, the match had ended and Hayoung stretched her arms out, still not aware that Eunji is behind her. There, the older girl glanced at her arm that was wrapped in bandages but it was done very messily. There were still stains of blood and obviously, there was no way her wounds were going to heal in that state. In the end, Hayoung may look tough on the outside but inside, she's just an innocent baby who can't even wrap her own bandages properly. Eunji wanted to protect her at all costs, even though the girl acts coldly around her. Knowing that she was an orphan, she had the strong desire to act as her mother.

"I think you've had enough fun for now, Hayoung-ah." said Eunji.

Upon hearing that voice, the high schooler froze.

"." she cursed in a quiet whisper.

"You know, I heard that." said Eunji with her sharp ears. 

"Just leave me alone." 

"I have a duty and that is you. Are you going to spend your whole life living like this? Look at your arms, look at yourself all covered up in wounds and injuries that will take a long time to heal. Are you going to be happy living like that?" 

"I said leave me alone! You don't even know me! What do you know?!" she shouted in frustration, stood up and tried to walk away. But, Eunji was quick enough to grab onto her wrists.

"Let go!" But the high schooler could not escape from Eunji's strong grip.

"That's why I'm here! We are here to help you!" said the older girl, not letting go.

"I don't need help from anyone."

"We just saved you from killing yourself today!"

"I could be dead right now and no one will care!"

"I care!"

"Yeah right, it's all a lie!" It was at that moment, the door barged opened as a group of large-sized men walked into the internet cafe. They certainly didn't seem welcoming at all. Upon seeing them, Hayoung tried to gather her things and run but Eunji gripped so tightly on her wrist, she was trapped.

"We finally found you. You criminal." said one of the men as they slowly approached the two of them.

"You should pay for your price. How dare you have the nerve to shoplift at my boss's shop." said another.

"Hayoung-ah, you-" said Eunji with her eyes wide open. This girl was in much more trouble than she had expected.

"Kill me. A criminal deserves to be killed right?" said Hayoung with a smile. Her eyes had no fear, instead they were burning with willpower. Her desire to kill herself was far too strong. Eunji had to stop her at all cost. She was going crazy.

"You crazy kid, I'm not going to become a murderer! I'm taking you to jail!" said the man, taken aback by Hayoung's words.

"Then, I'll have to do it myself." smirked Hayoung as she suddenly took out a camping knife from her pocket, slowly leaning the blade towards her neck.

"Stop it!" shouted Eunji as she tried her best to stop her actions. It was far too unexpected and there was no time to think. Immediately, Eunji grabbed hold of Hayoung's camping knife and changed it's position, towards her. She didn't mind getting hurt, as long as Hayoung was safe from any more injuries. While gritting her teeth, she forced and pulled Hayoung's camping knife directly into her abdomen. Within those split seconds, everything happened so quickly and Hayoung who witnessed everything, froze upon Eunji's action. Hearing Eunji's sweater split as the blade pierced through her skin, she could see blood slowly gushing out from her abdomen.

"If you want to die so badly, let me die in your place you brat." said Eunji with much difficulty as the group of men were also taken aback by the situation.

"I'm with the government. I'll handle this girl so leave." she continued while still having strength to reach her pocket to show them her ID card. Immediately, the group of men bowed with most politeness and went off as ordered, leaving Eunji and Hayoung all alone in the internet cafe.

The high schooler was confused, surprised and clearly shocked. Why would she do that? Was she crazy as well? Just who was this lady who had expressed so strongly that she would help her? Why is this lady willing to go so far just to make her stop? Frozen in her footsteps, Hayoung simply stared at Eunji who seemed to be doing fine despite the wound.

"Come on, let's go home." said Eunji while carefully taking out the camping knife from her abdomen.

"But..."

"Oh? Are you worried about me?" said Eunji with a smile. She was happy because it seemed that she was able to break the shield in the girl's heart slowly. But instead, the girl decided to look away. 

"L-Let's go....u...unnie....." mumbled Hayoung as she tucked her hands into her pocket, feeling awkward. She wasn't sure what this feeling was. Was this how it was like to be concerned over someone?

"Good. Don't run away again." said the older girl as the two walked out of the internet cafe. But to her surprise, Chorong's car was at the opposite road in front of them. Indeed, her partner knew her all too well.

"Chorong unnie!" grinned Eunji brightly upon seeing her partner.

"Hurry up and get on-what on earth happened?! Eunji-ya!" said Chorong with a gasp, about to open the door but she saw Eunji's signal telling her that it was okay. As they had no time to waste, both Eunji and Hayoung got onto the backseat of the car as Chorong drove off quickly.

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

"Mind telling me the full story?" asked Chorong as she glanced at Eunji with worry through the car mirror while focusing on the road.

"The mission's more important than me. Let's drop this girl at the house first and then I'll tell you unnie." said Eunji with a smile but obviously, she was in a lot of pain inside. It was always a norm for her to keep smiling no matter how much it hurt. It was all scars from the past, that have taught her and trained her to become a stronger woman.

Hayoung who sat in silence, kept glancing at Eunji, her wounded abdomen and glanced back at the window whenever the girl turned her eyes towards her direction. She didn't want her to know. It was strange. She had never felt like this before, was this how it feels to be worried for someone? Is this how it feels like to be at fault? None of this would've happened if she didn't escape from that window. None of this would've happened if she just listened to them. And yet, a stranger saved her. This stranger in front of her, hurt herself just so that she could stop from falling furthur into darkness. 

"Let me just explain to you briefly Hayoung-ah, the two of us are agents who have been hired to take care of you, to help you and guide you in your growing stages of life. Well, basically long-story-short, we've adopted you. All of the documents have already been signed so you don't have to worry about going back there anymore." said Eunji speaking in a slow manner so that the girl would be able to digest all these information.

"It's time to start an new life Hayoung-ah. You have to forget everything about your past and look forward." said Chorong.

"So the two of you are in love?" asked the girl.

Upon that question, Eunji laughed out loud while Chorong's face turned red.

"I-I-It's not that Hayoung-ah, look it's just tempo-" the older girl tried to explain but Eunji cut in between.

"A woman can love another woman can they?" said Eunji with a bright grin to which Chorong sighed.

"Uh..huh...right...." said Hayoung as she decided to look out at the window, finding it awkward.

"It's getting a little hot in here..." mumbled Chorong as she turned the air-conditioner to a higher level. Eunji who noticed everything, laughed as she couldn't control her smile. She loved teasing her unnie like that, it was adorable to see her all shy even though it's just a joke.

Soon, they had finally arrived at the apartment where they will be living together for the next three years. Three years may seem long, but it would be gone in a flash. Getting out of the car and walking up to the second floor, Chorong was busy unlocking the door while Eunji kept an eye on Hayoung who was carrying her backpack.

"Hayoung-ah, give me your backpack." said Eunji as she reached out her hand.

"Why should I?"

"I'm your parent and you should listen to me."

Without a word, Hayoung surrendered her backpack. To the older girl's surprise, it was much heavier than she had expected. Immediately, Eunji turned the backpack upside down and allowed everything to fall onto the ground.

"What are you doing?!" said Hayoung as all of her items were revealed.

They were definitely not items that a high-schooler should be carrying. A camping knife, matches, strings, scissors, a metal ruler, a mirror, a self-handcrafted sling and the most surprising item of all, a molotov. These were all items that could definitely harm someone and proved to be highly dangerous.

"I am confiscating all these. A high schooler shouldn't be carrying all these." said Eunji with a sigh. But it was at that moment, she tried to shake the bag to make sure that she had gotten everything out. To her surprise, a tattered teddy bear fell out. Within a flash, Hayoung quickly snatched it away and hid it behind her back.

"I'm confiscating all these but well, you can keep the teddy bear. It's cute." said Eunji with a giggle as she could see from the girl's face growing red. It was adorable. She had no idea that there was a side of her like that which seemed so innocent. 

By the time they had entered the apartment, it was a small, quaint two-room apartment with one toilet. The living room was spacious and was supplied with simple amenities that was sufficient for a family of three to survive on. Immediately upon entering the new house, Hayoung escaped herself into one of the rooms and locked it.

"Hayoung-ah, you better not escape again through another window or something like that!" shouted Eunji.

"I'm not...I just need...time by myself..." said Hayoung as her soft voice could be heard across the door.

"Alright." said Eunji with a smile. She was satisfied at the progress, she could see that the girl was slowly opening herself and placing her trust into the two of them. But it was then, she felt something warm touching her hand.

"Come over here." said Chorong as she dragged Eunji to the sofa and forced her to stay while she reached out for her bag that had a bunch of emergency first-aid kits around. Without a sound, the younger girl stayed quiet as she let her unnie fix her wound.

"Mind telling me what happened?" asked the older girl worriedly as she focused on cleaning the wound.

"Let's just say it was necessary in order to show her that we were really here to help her out."

"Just don't do ever do that again."

"Why? Because you don't want to lose me?" asked Eunji with a sad smile. She knew what those words meant.

"........" The older girl could say nothing but nod. It was all the answer she needed as the younger girl gently placed her hand on her head.

She knew that Chorong didn't want to be reminded of that incident ever again. Well, she didn't want to remember too. The horrifying memory of her friend's death.

Bomi's death.

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

It took awhile for everyone to settle into their new home, Eunji was told to rest at the sofa by her partner. Of course, she obediently did as said while Chorong got straight into the kitchen to prepare a simple meal. With all the running about, obviously Eunji would be hungry and Hayoung too. 

Eunji looked around, wondering how these three years are going to pass by, living with Chorong and also, Hayoung. She had many things to think about, mostly about the troublematic high schooler who has definitely surprised her a lot today. Perhaps, she was just a girl who needed love. Staring at the closed door, she wondered what could she be doing inside. Hopefully she isn't trying to kill herself again now is she? Eunji was worried once the girl was out of her sight. 

Taking a peek to make sure that Chorong wasn't looking at her, Eunji quietly got up and walked towards the door, gently knocking it.

"Hayoung-ah?" 

There was no response.

The girl tried her chance at the knob. Surprisingly, it was unlocked. Carefully opening the door, all she could see was the girl sitting in the corner, burying her face in between her knees as she could hear a sob escaping the room.

Her heart fell. She was crying. Hayoung was bawling her eyes out.

"Hayoung-ah?" said Eunji again in a gentle tone as she moved nearer to the girl.

"G-Go away...." sniffed Hayoung, trying to escape but instead, she was brought into a warm embrace.

"Don't cry alone by yourself. Cry in my arms." said Eunji gently as she wrapped her arms tightly while caressing her hair. 

All of a sudden, Hayoung's tears bursted even more, flowing out like a fountain. For the first time, the girl cried in someone's arms, in the arms that felt so similar to a mother's, a feeling that she hasn't been able to understand until now. Everything flowed out in the form of tears, her pain, her trauma, her frustration, her loneliness, everything. Unconciously, Hayoung wrapped her arms around Eunji without realisation. It was the first time ever, that she had done that to anyone.

For about a few minutes, the two stayed in that position. A warm embrace was all that was needed, it was also a message to tell her that it was going to be alright now. It was till at this point, Eunji had really considered to truly become a mother for this child who seemed so vulnerable. She wanted to protect her from the world that caused her all this pain. She only wanted her to be happy, to see her laugh and smile.

"Hayoung-ah, you said that you don't have parents right?" asked Eunji in a soft whisper. The girl nodded while wiping her tears.

"I'll be your mom. I'll be your dad. I'll be both of them and I'll show you what having a parent is like."

There was no response. Hayoung wasn't sure what to say. It was still awkward for her to even experience something that felt so warm in heart. It was just weird, to have someone else in her life.

"Come, you must be hungry right? Chorong unnie cooked us food and let me tell you, she's the best chef that I know!" said Eunji with a smile as she let go of their embrace and instead, grab hold of Hayoung's hand. This time, the girl did not avoid her and this made Eunji happy. 

Bringing Hayoung to the dining table, there was already a delicious meal prepared for them. It wasn't much, just kimchi-fried rice with stir-fried pork and vegetables as side-dishes. It was all that Chorong could make out of whatever she could find in the fridge.

"Looks like the two of you have gotten close." said Chorong as she glanced at the two, fully aware that Hayoung cried because her eyes were swollen.

"Eat up. Kids like you should grow up tall and strong." she continued while placing a piece of meat and vegetable onto Hayoung's plate.

"Eat Hayoung-ah. It's delicious." said Eunji who was already stuffing the food into .

The girl stared at Chorong and then at Eunji. Never before had she recieved something like this before, it was strange yet her heart faltered. Gulping, she hesitated but gave in the moment she placed a piece of pork into . Immediately as the taste flourished , she suddenly started eating at a quick pace, stuffing everything inside . Was this what homemade food tasted like? Is this why her high school mates are always bringing home-made lunches to school because it's so delicious? Is this how it feels like to have someone cook for you that is filled with lots of love?

"Aigoo, why is this kid crying again?" said Eunji as she glanced at Hayoung only to see tears forming in her eyes. Gently, she wiped it away with her finger before continuing her meal.

"Is it delicious?" asked Chorong with a smile.

Hayoung nodded as she paused. She wasn't sure what to do with all these emotions bottled in her heart. All of these love and warmth that she had never felt before, perhaps this is what it felt to be at home. A real home with a real family.

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

By allowing time for Hayoung to settle down, it was time for Chorong and Eunji to get to work. After the meal, the three of them sat down in the living room and carefully asked the girl. 

"Hayoung-ah, we want to help you but we can't unless you explain to us the full story. The moment we first met you at the rooftop today, we knew that something must've happened." said Chorong speaking carefully as she maintained eye contact with the girl.

"Are you being bullied? Is something bothering you? What's going on Hayoung-ah? It's okay if you can't tell us now." said Eunji, gently placing her hand on top of hers.

"Many....things...." Hayoung took a deep breath. "There's a lot of things going on in my head right now."

"It's okay, take it slow and easy." said Chorong.

"The reason why I'm picking fights with everyone in school, the reason why I'm ditching my classes, the reason why I'm commiting crimes in the neighbourhood...was all because...i needed a reason to stay away from others."

Chorong and Eunji looked on, waiting for the girl to continue.

"I used to be a good student who scored straight A's, I used to live up to the expectation of other people but to whom? I am just nobody, I have no mother, no father. No one ever shows up on Parent's Day, no one ever praises for whatever I do, no one is there to tell me what path to go, what am I supposed to do? I've been betrayed so many times by friends who I could not trust, attacked by seniors who extorted money from me, I realised that I was weak so I needed to be strong in order to survive in this world."

"Hayoung-ah...." said Eunji but Chorong signalled her that it was not time to talk yet.

"I was going crazy, I didn't even know what was the point of living anymore because I had no future. I already tried to kill myself once. Once."

"Once?"

"She tried to stop me. She was the only person I considered as my only friend or even my sister. But she..."

 

 

~X~

 

 

It was a hot afternoon, sun scorching under the summer heat and it was a time where students would be stuck in their classrooms and focusing on their lessons. But instead, at this crossraod where cars roam busily, a girl in her uniform stood at the traffic light, staring into an empty space. Her eyes were no longer full of life as she wanted to walk across despite it being a red light.

"Hayoung-ah!" shouted a girl as she ran to her, catching her breath.

"What are you doing?! You're skipping classes again? The teacher is going to scold you!" she said."

"He doesn't need to scold me."

"Huh?"

"Sorry unnie, I guess this is where it ends."

"What do you mean?"

"Thank you for everything, Namjoo unnie." said Hayoung as she walked straight onto the road where cars are still passing by. She wanted to take her life and end it all. She was tired, frustrated and could no longer find much reason to continue living.

But it was at that moment, the girl grabbed her hand and pulled her back, allowing the girl to take her place instead. Upon realisation at what she was doing, Hayoung tried to stop her but it was too late.

"Why do you never listen to me Hayoung-ah?" asked the girl with a smile.

Within that split second, it felt that it was the end of everything.

"Namjoo unnie!!!!" screamed Hayoung.

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

With tears rolling down her cheeks once again, Hayoung sobbed upon remembering her dark past.

"It's okay Hayoung-ah, tell us." said Eunji as she wiped her tears.

"Because of me, she died. Because I tried to kill myself, Namjoo unnie died."

 

 

 

[END OF CHAPTER 2]

 

 

 


A/N: The truth is finally revealed, what will happen now? Do share your thoughts of this chapter and stayed tuned for the next. Thank you for reading and subscribing!