The Riche

Star-Crossed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"I heard you needed bodyguards."

 

Behind him, V could sense JK fidgeting. The boy admitted prior to the mission that he wasn't much of a good liar; he had a tendency to be too honest for his sake. It was for that reason he asked V if he could just shut up during the entire thing; otherwise, he'd compromise their hard work. The older boy couldn't take any chances either, which explained why he was the one doing all the lying.

He was used to it anyway.

 

The older woman looked at him from top to bottom -- starting from the sneakers he wore to the rugged denim jacket on his back. She eye his beanie for long before looking at JK. The younger boy donned only a simple pair of white shirt and denim jeans. 

"Aren't you guys underage for the job?" asked the secretary, "We need strong men for our boss, not strong boys."

"We're not underage," replied V, "I'm 21."

"What about him?"

V glanced at JK. "He just turned 20," he lied, "He doesn't look like it, but he's older than you think."

The woman was still doubting their abilities, V could sense that. She didn't make any effort to hide her questions. Anybody would've doubted these two boys claiming to be perfect bodyguards for one of the country's richest men and his family. 

"Can he take a bullet for Kim Seokjin?"

"He can digest all the bullets if he has too," answered V promptly, "He's good at everything anyway."

He heard the dongsaeng's tiny whimper behind him, but V chose not to pay attention to it. They've gotten this far; if he had to lie all the way, he would do it. 

"What's your credentials?"

"Do we need them?" he asked, "Because the flyer said all you needed was strong, able young men who can protect or fight off unwanted men. I didn't see anything about diplomas or experience."

"But do you have any experience?" asked the lady, "Have you defended anyone before? Do you even know how to dodge bullets?"

Lady, if only you knew what I really do for a living.

He shoved papers at her. "These are certificates from the local fighting club," he told her, "Me and the kid here trained there for a year."

"You didn't go to school?"

"School's for wimps."

The secretary didn't approve of his comment, but he knew she could see he had a point. He smiled at her as he waited patiently, silently hoping JK would not lose his cool behind him. The older lady browsed through the fake papers he gave, looking at their supposed credentials. V was really grateful with the Brothers who did them. 

She looked up.

"What are your names again?"

V pulled a slightly shaking JK to the front. "You tell the nice lady your name, Little Brother," he told him. 

JK was startled at the command and V knew why. The Brotherhood didn't allow them to keep their names; they only get to choose a new name or use their old one once they become a Second Brother, but you can't even use your last name. Last names, according to the Brotherhood, set you apart. To keep uniformity, last names were forbidden.

But this situation called for it.

He nudged JK.

"Uh...um...Jeon Jungkook," he answered.

So he really is a Jung Kook, thought V. It was strange for him to hear the dongsaeng utter his own name. 

"How about you?"

The secretary was looking at V expectantly. V smoothened his hair, hoping he could exhude a confident air.

"Kim Taehyung," he answered. 

It was even weirder to hear his old name again. He could see Jungkook staring at him with surprise. V fervently hoped the secretary couldn't see his dongsaeng all shaken up. 

Fortunately, she just eyed him again. 

"Well...Mr. Kim Taehyung, I always believed persistence is beautiful," she told him, then she handed him a couple of IDs and some papers, "You and your dongsaeng are hired."

"Really?" asked JK. 

The secretary smiled. "Well, you boys seem to know how to fight," she said, "We will be introducing you to the head of the team. Please wait a moment."  She stood up and handed the files to an assistant, leaving the boys. JK was over the moon; he subtly looked at his hyung, happy that they got pass the strict secretary. V, on the other hand, wasn't easily ecstatic. There was still much to do. 

"We made it, hyung!"

"I know. Keep

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter