Coming of Age

Royals

Jieqiong was sat on the bunk bed, her head having claimed its place on Eunwoo's shoulder. The '98 liners had wondered why Siyeon had just suddenly called them into her room. They thought it was strange, since she was not the type to talk about things in private. She was usually more... open.

 

After asking them to come to her room, Siyeon could not stop fidgeting, standing up from her seat and proceeding to sit back down every now and then. Jieqiong didn't seem to mind, having been more focused on playing with the ends of Eunwoo's hair, but the latter couldn't take it anymore. She hated how tense the younger girl was being, and how tense it was now making her feel. The blonde girl had felt that what Siyeon was going to tell them was going to be something big. After a few more minutes of observing Siyeon bouncing her knees up and and down in her seat, Eunwoo lost it. "Ya, Park Ddiddi!"

 

Eunwoo's sudden outburst seemed to bring Siyeon back to reality. Both girls look up at the blonde, eyes mixed with both confusion and curiosity as to what the older girl wanted to say. "Mind telling us what you're so restless about? You're starting to look crazy." Siyeon breathes deeply. She also could not understand why she was so nervous. The younger girl had invited her two unnies into her room to merely ask for advice ― but the thought of admitting to the both of them, and to herself, that she had feelings for Kyungwon terrified her.

 

 "I, I just..." Siyeon trails off, subconciously running her fingers through her hair. Now Jieqiong is up and exchanges a glance with Eunwoo, because the both of them know that the younger girl almost never stutters. In a concerned tone, the Chinese girl is the one who asks next. "Siyeon-ssi, what's this about?"

 

 Siyeon closes her eyes and takes another shaky breath. "I think, no, I am, in love," she finally blurts out. Eunwoo and Jieqiong exchange another glance and raise their eyebrows at her. The two both ask in unison, "With who?"

 

 "Kyungwon-unnie," Siyeon mumbles in a low voice, slightly hoping that the other girls don't hear her. But much to her dismay, they catch it. The room falls silent for a bit, and Siyeon wonders if she should regret telling them. Not until the cheekiest of grins spread across Jieqiong's and Eunwoo's faces, causing for their eyes to be almost non-existent as they hide from behind their lids.

 

 "Ha! See, Jieqiong, I told you over and over! I totally saw this coming from miles away," Eunwoo says with a proud look on her face. Jieqiong rolls her eyes at the blonde and returns her focus to Siyeon, who had confusion written all over her.  "But seriously, Siyeonie, what took you so long?"

 

 Siyeon was still in a daze. How on Earth did Eunwoo see this coming? Even Siyeon didn't know it was, and it honestly would have helped her out so much if Eunwoo had told her ahead of time. "I only realized it last night, thanks to Yewon-unnie."

 

 Eunwoo lets out an exasperated sigh and slaps her forehead, as if to say she was disappointed at the younger girl. Jieqiong, on the other hand, furrows her brows a bit but quickly changes her expression. "Yewon? No, wait, nevermind. I can't believe you only just found out that you actually loved Kyungwon. Like all of us know it already."

 

 "All of you know?" Siyeon's feels her eyes bulge. Kyungwon couldn't have already known about it, could she? But if she did and tried to do nothing ― which she already has ― about it then that means there are no chances of her actually reciprocating Siyeon's feelings are zero. The younger girl almost starts to have a mental breakdown when Jieqiong immediately realizes her mistake. She grabs a hold of Siyeon's shoulders and shakes her gently.

 

 "All of us excluding Kyungwon-unnie, okay? That girl’s unfortunately just as clueless as you are, but that's why you two are made for each other." Siyeon lets out a sigh of relief at this. “So what are you planning to do now?”

 

The two girls had never seen the younger girl be this shy before, and the fact that it was because of Kyungwon made their hearts melt even more so. “I, I don’t know,” Siyeon mumbles. “That’s why I’m asking for your advice.”

 

They both share a knowing look with each other before turning back to Siyeon. Jieqiong smiles fondly at her, while Eunwoo still hasn't wiped off that smug smirk on her face after having her hunch proved correct. “Ah, seriously, what are we going to do with you?”

 

❀ ❀

 

“That was tiring,” Eunwoo announces as she sits back-to-back with the wall, after Siyeon dashes out of her room. “That was the first time I had to use my brain in a long, long time. I’m really not cut out for this whole love thing.”

 

Jieqiong slaps her on the shoulder lightly and proceeds to rest her head on it afterwards. “Ya, I think you’re doing a great job at it.”

 

Eunwoo lets out a hearty laugh as the Chinese girl looks up at her, waggling her eyebrows, with the same nose-crunching smile that made the blonde fall for her in the first place. Their fingers intertwine, Jieqiong’s fitting perfectly between the spaces of Eunwoo’s.

 

“Those two will be good, don’t you think? They should be able to make it work.”

 

“Even if Siyeon ends up being stubborn again, Kyungwon-unnie will force it to make it work.” Eunwoo nods in agreement at this, both knowing just how much the older girl adores their hard-headed dongsaeng. “What I’m more worried about is Yewon.”

 

The blonde girl lets out a sigh. Along with Siyeon, the pair has also been having suspicions regarding their other dongsaeng’s feelings towards their unnie. They know that Yewon looks at Kyungwon the same way as Siyeon does.

 

“I can’t imagine how hard it must be for her to actually help Siyeon realize what she’s feeling, and towards Kyungwon-unnie at that,” Jieqiong says, and Eunwoo tightens her grip on the other girl’s hands reassuringly.

 

“She’ll be okay. She’s strong you know, our Yewonnie.”

 

“Mhm,” the girl beside her murmurs. They may not know what Yewon is feeling right now, but they know she’ll be able to get over this. She always shone too bright, that girl. With everything she’s been through and sacrificed, she will surely not let something like this get in the way of their dreams. Indeed, their dongsaengs have surely grown more mature.

 

Eunwoo finally lets her head rest on Jieqiong’s. She sneaks a peek at the Chinese girl sleeping soundly beside her and her hands in hers. Her thoughts go back to Siyeon and Kyungwon, and Eunwoo closes her eyes, smiling.

 

❀ ❀

 

Kyungwon had just finished practicing alone when she gets a text from Siyeon.

 

ddiddi: Kyungwonie.

 

The tall girl merely sends a white rabbit sticker in reply and heads back to the dorm. She wanted to take a nap since her mind did not even give her the privilege to sleep even a wink last night as it kept replaying all the events that had happened. Kyungwon could still not believe how everything went down the way it did all because Siyeon took tickets from a guy for her. It was for her, she realized, was the reason Siyeon always had whenever she made the most stupid decisions ever.

 

“Kyungwonie!” Siyeon yells as she spots the older girl looking up at a cherry blossom tree. “I know the cherry blossoms are pretty, but you’re going to hurt your neck if you keep staring at it like that.”

 

Kyungwon is too focused on something that she saw was moving on the tree branch to even notice that Siyeon was there. The younger girl huffed as she tugged on the sleeve of her plaid flannel. “Look at me instead unnie, I’m way prettier than those flowers.”

 

This makes her finally take a glance at Siyeon, who had her hands below her face doing the signature ‘sprout’ gesture. Those flowers can’t even compare, Kyungwon thinks, although she decides to keep it to herself. She looks back at the tree and realizes that it was actually a cat that was moving. “Omo, Ddiddi,” she looks back at the younger girl frantically as she points to the branch. “I think it’s stuck!”

 

“So what are you supposing we do, unnie?”

 

The tall girl has her hand balled into a fist and brings it to , something she always did whenever she was nervous. It was something Siyeon had always found to be cute, along with the other numerous things Kyungwon did. Siyeon thought that it was just because it was rare to see her unnie like this because the latter usually handled situations in a much cooler manner than this. But the younger girl thought it just added to her various charms.

 

Knowing Kyungwon had already entered panic mode, Siyeon lets out a sigh as she pulls her sleeves up. Because like always, the younger girl knew what she had to do.

 

“Ddiddi, don’t tell me you’re planning to climb up and save that cat. Don’t you dare do it.”

 

But Siyeon’s already climbing up as she shouts back, “That’s exactly what I’m planning since you’re too scared to do it!”

 

The younger girl sits on the branch and the white feline immediately goes to her, allowing her to pet its head. She then takes the cat into her arms and looks down from above. Only then had she realized how high up she was. “Unnie!” Siyeon cries out.

 

Kyungwon lets out an exasperated sigh. “Ya, Park Siyeon, what did I tell you about using your brain?!” she yells, stomping all the way to where Siyeon was.

 

The day had ended with the cat getting back to its owner safely, and with Siyeon nursing Kyungwon’s aching back for three consecutive days. Because like always, the younger girl never thought things through.

 

Kyungwon chuckles at the memory and when she returns from her short trip down memory lane, she iis greeted by three more messages from the younger girl.

 

ddiddi: Don’t sticker-zone me >:(

ddiddi: Where are you?

ddiddi: I need to talk to you about something. 

 

The tall girl was curious as to why Siyeon was being so persistent, but she loved messing with her. Her fingers move in a rapid motion ― typing then erasing then typing again ― on her phonescreen as she comes up with a reply.

 

yuyu: why so serious? kekeke

yuyu: i'm in ur heart <3

 

Siyeon spams her angry emojis at this, and Kyungwon is cackling like crazy. Annoying Siyeon was one of her favorite pastimes. The younger girl asks her for her location again, and Kyungwon gives in.

 

yuyu: I'm heading back to our room to take a nap ~

 

Kyungwon doesn't receive any reply, eventhough it clearly says the message had already been read. She furrows her eyebrows at this, but decides to dismiss it, thinking it's probably Siyeon's way of payback for her joking around earlier.

 

Just as Kyungwon strides down the halls of their dormitory, she sees Eunwoo stumbling out of their room with Jieqiong in tow. The Chinese girl was looking at something before closing the door behind her but then starts to laugh hysterically, probably because Eunwoo tripped. The latter gets sulky for a bit before joining the other girl in her laugh trip eventually. The two hadn't officially announced their relationship status, but the rest of them already knew about so there wasn't really a point to it. Kyungwon had always thought they were cute.

 

The blonde girl spots Kyungwon walking over to them and grins at her. "Kyungwon-unnie!"

 

"Hi Nunu-ya," Kyungwon replies, smiling back.

 

Jieqiong runs to the older girl, hugging her tightly. "Kyungwonie~!" She waits for Kyungwon to pat her head before pulling away. "Were you practicing? You're a bit sweaty," Jieqiong teases.

 

"I did, then I'm going to sleep a bit after changing my shirt."

 

Eunwoo nods at this and grabs Jieqiong's hands to pull her closer to her. Kyungwon had to suppress a smile because she could have sworn she saw the faintest blush spread on the Chinese girl's cheeks at the contact. "You go do that, Kyungwon-unnie. Jieqiong and I are gonna head out to buy some snacks."

 

The three exchange their farewells and Kyungwon waits for them to leave before heading inside her room. She sees the pair skipping across the halls, swinging their hands together back and forth. Jieqiong's laughing at something Eunwoo said again, and there is a wistful look in Kyungwon's eyes.

 

She wishes that someday she will be able to experience that same kind of happiness with someone she loves too. There is a person in her mind ― always in her mind, but she thinks that it is hopeless. But Kyungwon wishes that someday she will be able to become someone good enough for that person to look at Kyungwon the same way Kyungwon looks at her.

 

❀ ❀

 

If there is one thing that can irk Siyeon the most, it is when people don't take her seriously. But if there is one thing that Siyeon can tolerate, it is Kyungwon. That is why when the older girl fools around like always, Siyeon does not get mad. Annoyed, yes, but she can never stay mad at her no matter how hard she tries. After sending a hundred angry emojis and taking a long breath, Siyeon calmly types in her reply.

 

ddiddi: Kyungwon-unnie. Tell me where you are.

 

Kyungwon finally tells her that she's going back to their room and the younger girl makes a beeline back to their room.  When she gets there, she sees Eunwoo and Jieqiong sleeping peacefully next to each other and she quickly gets rid of the slight envy that was threatening to grow as she quickly makes preparations.

 

Siyeon pulls out the coffee table they always used whenever they ate inside and sets it, trying to make it look as aesthetically pleasing as her skills could allow her to. Although that really wasn't physically possible for a coffee table, there were atleast good intentions behind it. The younger girl places a giant bowl of extra hot ramyeon, cooked just the way Kyungwon always did it, in the center along with some cheese sticks on the side. The lemon-flavoured cider Siyeon opted to buy (She knew Kyungwon hated their DIY one last time) is being poured into a wine glass to make it look fancier.

 

In the midst of Siyeon's preparations, Jieqiong stirs in her sleep and finally wakes up to see the younger girl being busy with something. Her eyes widen when she realizes that it must all be for Kyungwon and it warms her heart. "Need help?"

 

"Oh-re-rat!" The bottle of cider almost slips from Siyeon's hands but she thankfully manages to get a tighter grip. She lets out a sigh of relief and sets the bottle down before turning to Jieqiong. "You startled me, unnie!"

 

The Chinese girl giggles. "Sorry. Is that for Kyungwon-unnie?"

 

Siyeon in her bottom lip and nods, a sheepish smile on her face. Jieqiong wanted to jump on her right now and shower her with kisses but she didn't want to ruin Siyeon's hard work. It was hard for Jieqiong to hold back.

 

"I'll just wake Eunwoo and we'll take our leave then." She smiles fondly at the younger girl, who was working hard for their unnie. Siyeon gets back to her preparations and Jieqong gives the girl beside her a gentle nudge, causing for her eyes to slowly flutter open.

 

"Is it morning already?" Eunwoo yawns, and the Chinese girl places a chaste kiss on her temple. "Come on, Ddiddi's busy right now. Let's get something to eat."

 

Jieqiong urges the blonde to stand up and the latter rubs her eyes before finally examining her surroundings. Yet another cheeky smile forms on her face. "Very romantic, Park Ddiddi. I like it," she mumbles.

 

Eunwoo was still half-asleep by that time and it is still a wonder as to how she made it to the door without destroying the whole thing. The Chinese girl is right behind her, and she looks back to Siyeon who was checking if everything was in its proper place. "Siyeon-ssi, fighting!" The girl in front of her had apparently managed to trip on the way out and was struggling to regain her balance. Jieqiong was cracking up, and she closes the door right after she sees Siyeon flashing her a grin from the corner of her eye.

 

❀ ❀

 

Kyungwon wasn't sure what to feel about the sight she saw when she entered their room.

 

To say that she was happy was an understatement. The older girl did not know what all of this was for, but she tried to fight the false hope that was threatening to resurface.

 

"Ddiddi-ah," Kyungwon manages to mutter. "What is all this?"

 

Siyeon rolls her eyes playfully at her. "It's food, unnie. What else is it supposed to be?"

 

The younger girl tugs on Kyungwon's sleeve to make her sit down, which she does. The latter takes in everything that's laid out before her. Everything was definitely in her list of favorites, the girl in front of her included.

 

"What I meant to ask was what the reason for all of this was. Please enlighten me." Kyungwon had managed to suppress all the emotions that had surged through earlier and was now feeling amused. She looks straight into Siyeon's eyes ― they were smiling again ― as she says this.

 

Siyeon pushes the bowl of ramyeon closer to Kyungwon and the latter takes a sip of the soup. It tasted good, just the way she wanted it. It made her happy to know that Siyeon was listening whenever she talked about how she made it on their broadcasts. "It's to thank you, Kyungwonie," Siyeon says, sticking out her tongue at Kyungwon afterwards.

 

The older girl lets out an exasperated sigh, saying an I told you so to herself in her mind. This was to be expected, but she appreciated the younger girl's efforts. "You really didn't have to do this, you know."

 

"I know," Siyeon mumbles lowly. "But that's because it wasn't the only reason I had."

 

Kyungwon's mind was trying to process everything, but was failing to do so. Her forehead creased in confusion, trying to think of what might the other reason be for Siyeon to go this far. The younger girl giggles as all of her fear of rejection is washed away just by looking at how flustered Kyungwon was. The other girl had always made an impact on her, and Siyeon reminded herself that that was the reason why she was doing this, to make Kyungwon aware of that.

 

"Ya, don't laugh," Kyungwon scolds. "Tell me your other reason."

 

Siyeon finally regains her composition, and a wide grin spreads across her face. With Kyungwon in front of her now, everything just made sense.  "You're loud-mouthed, and you're a fool. You never take me seriously, and you're always nagging me whenever you aren't." Before Kyungwon can even say a word to defend herself, the younger girl continues. "But you're funny, and you're so kind. I’m incredibly thankful that even though you know how hard I try to save myself at all times, in the times I'm incapable of doing so, you're always there to do the saving. And you're cute, unnie. You're so cute I could burst."

 

Kyungwon was not expecting this. She lets out a shaky breath, laughing to herself. She blinks back the tears and her vision starts to get blurry, but the young girl grinning in front of her remains clear. God, she loved her too much.

 

"S-so? What's your point?" Kyungwon nervously asks, wanting to make sure.

 

Siyeon feels the corners of reach up to her ears. She's crying now too, but she manages to urge her hand to retrieve a small arranged bouquet of baby's breath from under her bed. The younger girl stands up and takes a seat right in front of Kyungwon, placing the flowers in her hands. Siyeon raises her hands and uses them to cup Kyungwon's cheeks, her thumbs wiping away the older girl's tears. "Ya, Park Siyeon, what you're doing isn't good for my heart."

 

"That still doesn't make us even, unnie. Because everything you do isn't good for mine."

 

They're laughing and crying but neither one looks away from the other. Siyeon rests her forehead on Kyungwon's, their noses touching. She tries to make a mental note to thank the gods again later, but Siyeon is too drunk on the girl in front of her she can’t even think straight.

 

"I am so, so in love with you, Kang Kyungwon," she whispers.

 

Siyeon does not have the slightest clue as to how much Kyungwon wanted to hear those words from her. The older girl's face is stained with tears, and it seems her eyes do not plan to stop anytime soon. She smiles, because she knows this moment they share will always be something they will cherish. She places a quick kiss on Siyeon's nose, making the younger girl giggle, and pulls her into an embrace.

 

"I love you too, princess."

 

❀ ❀  ❀ ❀  ❀ ❀

 

and it's finished~! gaahhh i hope the ending suited your tastes, please do tell me about it in the comments (^_−)☆

also, i am so so sorry this update took so long, i was so busy & wanted to write a long one but i unfortunately had writer's block (╥﹏╥) but here it is! it was a joy writing this, and i thank you for bearing with me and my inexperience, and for just giving this story a read in general. really, i'm very honored.

i start going to a new school (a uni) next week, and i'll probably be busy again, but i've already started on a new one so this won't be the last of me hehe until then, please do take care of yourselves & let's all walk down the flower path with our girls ~