A Silent Voice

Royals

Siyeon was, and is in fact, a princess. No, not the heir-to-the-throne, servants-and-maids kind. And she most certainly was not the typical damsel in distress, the kind that needed somebody else to save her. Siyeon had a heart too strong and a mentality too realistic for that. She knows that the times are constantly changing, and that in this generation, everybody's already too busy saving themselves. If you would have to pick among all the Disney Princesses to describe her, The Little Mermaid and the Sleeping Beauty stood no chance. She was more of a Mulan, the great warrior of China -- and no, her being Asian is not the main reason. She was just never really the type to wait around for the prince that she was never really sure was coming. She was the type who could get the job done herself. With her beauty and wits, the young girl could always get what she wanted, and she'd always done just that.

 

"Ddiddi-ah, they said they're all out of tickets," Kyungwon whined, "I really wanted to watch this movie since the trailer first came out!"

 

Siyeon patted the older girl on the head to comfort her as she continued sulking. "I know, unnie. You've been saying that every single day that's passed since then."

 

The way Kyungwon was acting just because she couldn't watch the film she'd wanted to see for such a long time made Siyeon feel a little funny. The both of them never really did seem to act their age, with Kyungwon being too childish and Siyeon being too wise.  Siyeon always got those types of responses from her body whenever Kyungwon did something cute. Or funny. Or whenever she did anything near her, really. But she'd always just decided to dismiss the small voice at the back of her head that said it meant so much more. "Puberty," she thought.

 

Being the mature one of the two, Siyeon decided to take the matter in her own hands because she knows she would never hear the end of it from Kyungwon if she didn't. "Okay, Kyungwonie. I get it. I'll see what I can do."

 

The short haired girl grinned cheekily, knowing she had succeeded in trying to get Siyeon to make things work. Siyeon chose to ignore her unnie's true intentions.

 

Siyeon also chose to ignore the fact that it had made her feel funny again.

 

❀❀❀

 

"I got them." Kyungwon looked so focused on thinking up ways to devour her churros before looking up to see a bored Park Siyeon, holding two tickets to A Silent Voice with those slim fingers of hers. Siyeon was surprised at how Kyungwon's eyes lit up as if she were holding the most precious things in the world. She didn't even try to contain her excitement and practically jumped on Siyeon, hugging her tightly. "Omygod, you are the BEST!"

 

Siyeon could only let out a muffled, "I know," into her arm.

 

❀❀❀

 

The pair came out of the cinema right after the credits, both satisfied at how the film surpassed their expectations. Well, it was Kyungwon who had expectations, but Siyeon was just happy at how it made Kyungwon happy. The taller girl had draped her arm around Siyeon when the movie ended and had still not removed it, which made the younger girl even happier. Siyeon had felt the blood rush to her cheeks when the other girl did that inside the dark room, but she'd thought it was just her hormones being confused and that the lighting was just confusing them even more.

 

"I've been meaning to ask you this since earlier but I got too hyped up. How'd you get them, by the way? The tickets?" the older girl mused, before finally removing her arm around Siyeon, much to the latter's dismay. For an unknown reason, she would always miss the feeling of being in Kyungwon's arms the second she wasn't, always wanting to be in them for much longer.

 

Kyungwon's eyes narrowed after hearing the younger girl's reply. She had apparently gotten them from two guys who decided to give it to her out of kindness because they saw that she was in need of movie tickets. "So they just... gave it to you?" Siyeon merely shrugged, but Kyungwon didn't let it slide. "That's bull Siyeon, there's got to be some hidden motive there."

 

"They said something about hanging out after the movie, said they'd wait for me in the parking lot. I wasn't really paying attention. I was just glad they gave it to me."

 

No matter how wise Siyeon may seem, there were rare occasions when she just gets so annoyingly... dumb. They only last for a few minutes, but it's amazing how she becomes a completely different person in such a short amount of time. And coincidentally, those occasions come out especially when it came to doing things for Kyungwon. The older girl was aware of that ― she has always looked over Siyeon more than she did the other girls ― but she did not imagine that Siyeon would be this dense. She wanted to yell at her, for being such a dummy and not even considering the possibilities, but instead she messed up her hair in frustration. "You are the biggest idiot I have ever known, you know that?"

 

"I just wanted to make you happy," Siyeon replied in a hush tone, and in an instant, Kyungwon felt a pang of guilt surge through her. She expected the younger girl to come back at her with even more sass, a witty rebuttal of some sort, not to show vulnerability.

 

Kyungwon's expression softened and she let out a sigh. "You don't need to," she says as she places a hand on Siyeon's head. "You're already doing a great job at it. Every day I feel like I'm on cloud nine because of you, and of course because of the other girls as well. I just... I just wish you could have thought things through before you did that, you know? Like the possible consequences and what not."

 

As the older girl continued explaining why she got mad at her, Siyeon's mind had already stopped working when she had heard, and the other girls. God, Siyeon did not know how much she would hate that phrase before, but she sure as heck hates it right now. Everything was going perfect, with Kyungwon telling her that she's been doing a great job at making her happy and that she felt like she was on cloud nine because of her. But she just had to ruin it by adding and the other girls. A sea of endless questions kept running through her head. Why did Kyungwon have to ruin it? Why does she also feel that way with the other girls? Why was Siyeon not enough for her? Why was Siyeon even feeling this way in the first place? Why was she —

 

"Ya!" Siyeon's train of thoughts were stopped by Kyungwon snapping her fingers in right in front of her face. "Park Siyeon, are you even listening to what I'm trying to say here? I'm thinking about your own safety, for Christ's sake. I care about you and ―"

 

"And the other girls," Siyeon muttered. She had failed to hide the bitterness in her tone.

 

The older girl raised an eyebrow and tilted her head a bit in confusion. "Well, yes, but ―"

 

"I get it. But I can handle it by myself. So I thank you for caring and all, but I'll go ahead first and take care of my own responsibilities."

 

With that, she headed straight for the door, leaving a dumbfounded Kyungwon behind. She kept walking, even when Kyungwon kept screaming her name. She kept going, even when her brain kept telling her it was bad idea.

 

Siyeon did not stop, even when she wondered why she was even jealous in the first place.

 

❀❀❀

 

oh man i literally just wrote this last night so it hasn't been proofread that well and idk if it's even good ?? but what the heck the world needs more ddiyu in their lives gahhh please let me know what you think thank you!!