Step 2

Step by step
Please log in to read the full chapter
Step 2

 

A day later, I found myself in the university’s practice room with a sly Soonyoung and a never-been-clumsier Chanyeol.

Actually, let me tell you that this class was for amateurs only. If it hadn’t been for Soonyoung’s internship, he wouldn’t have to teach classes for people who were – to be honest – quite analphabetic when it came to dancing. Not to mention that if it weren’t for my best friend and for the extra credits, I wouldn’t have joined his class, let alone let him tease me with my non-existent dance skills, no matter how much I enjoyed it. Dancing wasn’t my field, I just loved doing it from time to time but I guess we were all there for such reasons. We were all art students but keen on expressing ourselves in a different way. For example, Jungkook was at the Fine Arts departure as a photographer prodigy, Soonyoung was – if it wasn’t obvious enough – at the Dance departure as a soon-to-be choreographer and I… well, I was just an ordinary student majoring in Critical Writing in Art and Design. According to my best friend, even the name of my major tells a lot about me. Well, decide it for yourself.

You can easily see that we weren’t professionals, therefore I didn’t even expect Chanyeol to be any different. He was talented in singing and writing lyrics but he wasn’t particularly good at dance. What now? The thing was that he wasn’t just bad, he was literally the worst amateur that I had ever met. I know we had exactly 2 classes together so far but that 3 hours that I had to spend with him – as his partner! – were the definition of Hell. The epitome of wasted time.

Small wonder why I continued on my rampage when after another terrific dance class with my absolutely “flawless” dance partner, I heard Soonyoung’s plan – or to be precise, it was more of a demand coated with sweet, friendly words.

“Guys, you’ve been doing great since I put you in pairs, so now, I want you to do something without my guidance,” he announced energetically and some guys even hollered in joy while others clapped enthusiastically. On the other hand, Chanyeol became like a living statue beside me, his features firm and his smile replaced with a worried flinch.

“I want you to find yourselves a choreography that you think would fit both of your personalities – or even better, you can come up with a choreo on your own – and show it to us,” he not-so-obviously winked at me while I glared at him like I wanted to eat him alive. “I know you are probably busy, so you can perform your dance anytime until the end of the semester. Of course, I want you to challenge yourself, so you can also dance with chairs or blind-folded, you can dress up as your favourite kpop member. Whatever. Just work together and enjoy yourselves!”

A wave of undeniable bafflement and ecstatic euphoria filled the room, leaving students bouncing up and down like two-year-old kids, flinging their arms in the air in disbelief or standing in bewilderment with their mouth agape. Needless to say but I was the member of the last group.

“What?” Chanyeol snickered, apparently unable to process what he had just heard and I soon joined in, too.

“What?” I exclaimed frantically, my voice higher than usual. I was seriously struggling to keep my rage at bay because I didn’t want to look offended or anything but… I was undeniably offended! How could that Soonyoung guy come up with such a gruesome idea? How could he think that we would be able to learn choreographies without his guidance? How could he do this to us? To his best friend?

“If you have any questions, you know where to find me. But for now, let’s call it a day! See you next Monday!” he waved to us with his trademark grin and made an attempt to scamper away. Of course, I couldn’t let him run away without being scolded.

“What were you thinking, Kwon Soonyoung?” I spat fervently but all the rage that I had accumulated lately decided to come to surface right then and there. The blonde guy’s tiny eyes widened in shock, probably more because of my way to express my anger, rather than my accusing tone. He knew just as well as I did that I only called him by his full name when I was pissed off. When I was really, really mad. Utterly mad.

“I was thinking that you would see it as an opportunity to finally get to know your partner a little bit better.”

“Why on Earth I would want to know him better?” I cried out in annoyance and flailed my arms around wildly. From the corner of my eyes, I saw as Chanyeol flinched but I couldn’t care less. Not when my life was falling apart thanks to the on-going divorce of my parents and the significant decrease in my grades. I had far worse things to deal with, so I didn’t need anything else to make me lose my mind.

Please log in to read the full chapter