Revelation

Daily Drama of Princess Changjo and the Princes

*** Chapter 9: Revelation ***


Jiwon was panting in relief after Hyesung released him. He touched his back and waist, tried to massage it gently. He didn’t even remember to breath properly. He no longer had the strength to speak. Jaejin saw that the match was being halted and took the chance to come to his Prince. Jaeduck followed him. They were truly worried.

“You have spinal injury, don’t you?!” Hyesung was still mad. “Why don’t you tell me?! You know exactly what I’m doing! Why don’t you stop me?! You know that if I put more strength to my locks, I would definitely damage your joints, or even break them, AND WORSE, I COULD HAVE MADE YOU PARALYZED PERMANENTLY!!! DON’T YOU REALIZE THAT??!!” he roared.

Jiwon was still panting. Jaejin and Jaeduck were helping him to lay his body straight, and trying to massage him delicately. They knew well the condition of their Prince. When he was a kid, he fell and broke his back while hiking the mountains. It might be dangerous for him to do heavy physical activity. That’s why the Prince was not really good in any martial arts and self-defence. Yet he dared to face Hyesung in the fight.

With full awareness of what was happening in the match, King Imho hurriedly sent paramedic and the martial arts trainer to tend his guest. What Hyesung said must be true, since Jiwon’s face frowned in pain when they touched his waist.

“WHY ARE YOU BEING SO CARELESS?!” Hyesung couldn’t hold his rage.

“I…I’m.. just..” Jiwon was forcing out his voice. “for Changjo… I will…”

Hyesung knelt down and grabbed his collar, “What good you will be for her if you are paralyzed, huh?!” He looked into his eyes. “Why don’t you just surrender?”

“I.. will never.. surrender.. for her…”

Hyesung tightened his grip. Jaejin tried to defend his Prince, but he knew from his lord’s reaction, that he was not backing up. The Crown Prince of Belukha was returning Hyesung’s stare without any fear or disheartened feeling regarding his lost.

They stayed like that for a moment without anybody dared to interfere, before finally Hyesung released his grip, and irritatedly left his opponent.

“NO ONE IS WINNING THIS MATCH!” he shouted loudly as he left the room without even turning back.

Everyone was left confused with Hyesung’s behavior.

“What does he mean?” Minwoo scratched his head.

“No one wins. Is it a draw?” Eric was asking too.

“But that last lock,” Junjin frowned. “Definitely Hyesungie hyung is the winner..”

“But he said no one wins, right?” Andy raised his eyebrows.

“That means, it’s draw,” Dongwan concluded. “The final score is 3-2 for Jiwon.”

“So..???” the others looked at him.

"He wins more than half," Dongwan added.

“Jiwon sunbae wins?” Changjo couldn’t help it. She saw a ray of hope.

“Most likely so, my dear,” Dongwan smiled.

“Really?” she couldn’t believe it.

“I never imagine Hyesungie hyung will do that..” Andy remarked, realizing that Hyesung must had come to the same conclusion as him.

“Soo…” Changjo was trembling.

Eric sighed, “We lose, dear baby,” he gently caressed her face. “Now go get your Prince…”

And the girl didn’t wait for another second to spring to her beloved Prince.

The five brothers paid all their attentions to their sister who was happily skipping to the boy of her dream. They saw how delighted she was then, compared to last view weeks of sorrow. It felt like eternity since they last saw their baby sister smiled so wide like that. And for Jiwon too, they never realized that the stoic boy could smile sincerely and lovingly like what he did to their Princess at the moment.

"So, are you satisfied now, boys?"

The King interrupted their happy thoughts.

"Father... Well..we.." Eric responded first, but he didn't really know what to say, because he's just realized that they were just acting foolishly these days, very impulsive toward the thought of a stranger boy who's coming to snatch their precious little sister away.

The King was amused and he drew a smile on his face. He knew exactly what his sons were thinking.

"Somebody go get Hyesung. I want you all to gather in the Throne Room, immediately," the King said. "Prince Matthew, I want to see you there too," He turned to the boy who was still on the floor.

Jiwon nodded and all the Princes bowed obeying before their father left the dojo.


******


Everyone had gathered on the throne room. The King, all his wives, The Princes, Changjo and Hyemi -who proved herself as a good friend since she stayed beside Changjo all the time-, and the foreign Prince and his underlings. Hyesung was the last to enter the room with Dongwan. He exhanged a glance with Jiwon who stood beside Changjo, with their hands clasped together. The 4th Prince still had a stern look in his face, but he didn't even nag anymore, so it must be a good sign.

"Hyesung-a," King Imho started, "What happened? Why did you stop the match?"

"Because if I kept going, I'm certainly going to cause.. a big problem," he answered.

"But you could have win."

"I didn't win because he didn't surrender," Hyesung faced his still-called enemy.

"So are you okay with a draw?" The King continued.

"Yes," Hyesung replied quickly.

"And you know what it means for this whole 'tournaments' score."

"Yes, I know."

"Are you okay with that?"

"I have no right to object."

"Hyesung-a.."

The called Prince ignored his father, instead he walked towards the foreign Prince.

"Once again.. Only once... You act recklessly, and put my sister in trouble.. I, definitely, will make you feel sorry for being born.." he stated those words low and slowly.

"Hyesung, don't be rude!" King Imho warned, "He is older than you."

In fact, Jiwon was one year older than the Princes. He spent a year after he graduate Junior High to learn Korean and all its customs. Jaejin and Jaeduck, though, were the same age as the Princes. They learn everything quickly from Jiwon. 

"It's okay, Your Majesty," Jiwon defended him. "Age isn't a big deal in my country. And I'm going to be his little brother-in-law anyway, so he has the right to do so," he grinned.

Hyesung continued to stare him with his piercing eyes. "Don't ever make me regret what I did today, Your Highness."

"You will never, Your Highness," Jiwon riposted.

"You have to ensure us too, Prince Matthew," Minwoo stepped in.

"Of course," Jiwon smirked. "In fact, You are welcome to come to my country any time, to see if I'm keeping my words," he turned to his girl, "That I will love her and cherish her for my whole life."

The Princess blushed to hear those words, but not the Princes. Junjin especially, he put his hands on his waist, "Wait.. Are you saying that you'll take Changjo right away to your country? Who gave you permissions?"

"I am not taking her with me right away, Prince Junjin," Jiwon rolled his eyes, although he did know that the Princes were very impulsive. "I do want her to finish her studies first."

"Owh.." Junjin rounded his mouth.

"So are you planning to stay here to, Prince Matthew?" The Queen couldn't hide her curiosity.

"I want to, Your Majesty," Jiwon answered, "But I have to ask my mother first, since I asked to leave my home for three years only. My time is up. But I'll ask again."

"I see," the Queen nodded. "Perhaps I could help you to convince her. I believe now you should invite her here, since I want our Princess to be properly proposed by your family."

"I'm very thankful for your kindness, Your Majesty. And yes of course, I will ask my mother to come here immediately," he smiled.

"Your mother is okay with you marrying a foreign Princess?" Queen Park showed her concern.

"Our country is multi-racial, Your Majesty, and if my mother meets Princess Changjo, I believe she'll love her right away."

"Really?" It was Changjo who was delighted to hear it. "How does your mother look like? What she.."

"Just keep being yourself, Princess," Jiwon cut her because he knew what she was concerning. "I guess my mom is pretty much like your mother. I'm sure you all will get along instantly."

"Oh yeah? I'm glad to hear that," Changjo was patting her chest since she became so nervous.

"Well, that's good. Things with Changjo are likely done. So, now..." the King looked satisfied, and he directly brought up another issue. "Junghyuk.."

"Yes, father," the called Prince responded.

"Now that you're going to be crowned, I think we should find you a Crown Princess too."

"What?! Crown Princess?!"

"Yes," the King confirmed, "You've come of age already. Even if it's not yet a marriage, at least you should've been engaged."

"But, father.."

"Why, you have problem with that? I believe the Queen and Lady Mun will conduct an excellent Crown Princess selection."

Eric couldn't answere with any words. Just moments ago he felt relieved that he didn't to go with an unwanted marriage. But the topic surfaced again anyway.

"Junghyuk..." 

The King called, but he kept silent. His mind went in confusion once again, and unknowingly, he turned his head, facing the one girl that made him had all the troubles within his heart.

Hyemi couldn't believe her eyes when she saw Eric was looking at her. She too, was relieved that her beloved Prince didn't have to marry her own bestfriend as she thought that she might lose both of them. But her heart sank again when the King brought up the Crown Princess selection. Even though Korean Kingdom no longer had a class system for its people, Hyemi thought that her family was a mere commoner. She even enrolled into SKK Junior High because she was lucky to get the scholarship programme. She never dare to wish to be in Crown Princess candidates list.

But their eyes met. Eric's and Hyemi's. They stared each other for unknown time, until the King was heard heaving a long sigh.

"Aigoooo...my kids...." the King comically slapped his own head, and to anyone's surprise, the Queen and the Concubines were doing the same, especially Lady Mun.

"See, my King?" Lady Mun sighed, "Our kids are truly fools.."

"Yes they are.." the Queen agreed.

"Aigooo...." the King sighed again.

All the youth present were completely confused. What happened to their parents?

"Eric..." King Imho couldn't hold it anymore. "How much longer do I have to wait until you go honest with me that you already have someone in your heart?!"

Eric was dumbfounded. "Father, you.."

"And Changjo..." the King ignored him, "You too, you are the same! I've been waiting for you to bring Jiwon, sorry, Prince Matthew to me. But even after I pushed you to the edge to marry your brother, you keep silent about your love? What did I teach you kids about honesty?!" The man somehow looked frustrated, but it confused his kids even more.

Hyesung was the first to come to realisation. "Father.. You mean... All this time..." he put his hands on his waist, "You played a prank on us? "

The King showed an innocent smile.

"You pushed Eric and Changjo to their limits?" Hyesung was in disbelief.

"Well..."

"By forcing them into a marriage??!!" Hyesung started to lose control on his tone.

"I'm pushing them to be true to themselves," the King remained calm.

"I've come to you many times to say that I can't marry Changjo," Eric joined too, since he realized what Hyesung implied.

"But you never told me your true reason," the King answered. "Is it that hard for you kids to tell me, your own father, that you have someone you like?"

"But.."

"You guys told me that time has changed, arranged marriage is no longer proper. But when Changjo thought that she fell for a country boy, and Eric for a common salary man's daughter, none of them told me straightforwardly."

The children was silenced. They realized that their father was true. Even when they tried to oppose to arranged marriage, none of them were brave enough to express their love.

The King then explained to them that he planned all the fuss. He wanted to teach them, that being Prince and Princess, meant that they had to made difficult thinkings and choices at times. Even they had to sacrifice things that was truly meaningful for them. But he didn't want them to be blinded by duties and obligations. He wanted them to stay true to themselves, and fight for what they believe was right.

He forced the boys to settle the Crown Prince matters within themselves, and he forced the two who were engaged to try fighting for their true heart.

"And you started all of this on my and Dongwan's birthday celebration," Hyesung forced a chuckled, "So I would be irritated instantly and then failed to see your true motives... Father you're really..."

The King chuckled too.

"So I guess it was lucky to have Jiwon come and put us in trouble?" Eric turned to his sister.

"I dunno..." Changjo stared blankly then looked into her lover.

Jiwon smiled mischievously, but they were in another silence. Now it's back to Eric and Hyemi who was staring each other.

What was that? His Majesty the King..he implied that.. Prince Eric likes me? Really?

Hyemi turned to her bestfriend, but the Princess forced and innocent smile.

"Changjo-ya.. You knew..??" asked Hyemi.

And the Princess grinned.

"I'm the one asking her not to tell you anything," Eric interfered. "I want to tell you myself." He inhaled a deep breath. "I like you, Na Hyemi..."

The girl was frozen. She had been dreaming to hear those words from her favorite Prince. But now when it turned into reality, she couldn't believe her ears. Her minds turned blank.

Eric looked at his father, and the King gave him a nod. The oldest Prince encouraged himself to step toward Hyemi and reached her hands. "I know it's very sudden, but..." He inhaled again, never realized that this thing could be nerve-breaking. "Na Hyemi, would you like to be my Crown Princess?"

The girl felt like she was jolted by lightning. She felt her heart stop beating. She couldn't say anything. But it was obvious that everyone in the room was waiting her to answer.

"I... I... I'm not..dreaming...right?" She turned to her bestie, seeking for help. The Princess raised her fists, giving her courage.

"You are not dreaming, Hyemi," Eric tried his best not to shake his voice. He squeezed her hands delicately. "This is real.."

Hyemi gulped. "So I..." she exhaled deeply.

"Yes?" Eric urged her.

"I..." she couldn't think of any other words to say but to reveal her feelings. "I like you too, Prince Eric.." she was trembling, "And I... I will need your guidance..to be.."

Eric couldn't wait for her to finish her sentence. He had heard enough. He pulled her closer and trapped her in his embrace, so tight it felt like he wouldn't let her escape.

"Thanks.. Hyemi..." Eric could say no more. He was so happy, he's delighted that the girl hugged him back. She seemed blissful too.

Everyone who saw them could also felt the joy in their hearts. Finally, after weeks of sorrow and despair, things would be back in their places.

Everyone were enjoying the moment until Hyesung remembered something. "Father, what about Prime Minister? He will be mad if he knew you dragged his son into this...joke..."

"I wasn't only joking, Hyesung-a," the King answered. "I was pushing him too. I always know that he is a slick old fox. I want to know his reaction. And it turned out as I expected. He went more arrogant, and even his son dared to harass my precious daughter. Yes, I know that too, Changjo-ya," he nodded to her daughter who was suprised that he knew about the incident. "Aejong recorded the whole thing.. On my command," he added when she opened widely, "And there I'm sure about how Prince Matthew felt about you." He nodded too to the foreign Prince, who expressed his surprised at first, but turned it into an impressed look.

King Imho walked into his desk and grabbed a stack of papers. "In his arrogance, I made the PM became careless since he thought I favored him. While actually, I was digging these facts," he showed it to his children. It was the evidence of all manipulation PM Kang had done, including the one when he falsely kicked his opponent Mr. Ko out of the country

"So, it will be the end of the PM?" Dongwan asked.

"Yes.. These all will finish him," the King proudly confirmed.

"What about his son?" Andy's turn to ask.

"Actually, he helped a bit on this," the King knocked on the papers. "He had gone to his mother's family at the States. He doesn't want anything more to do with his father. He even promised me that he'll never set foot on Korean soil again, while I've told him that it's unnecessary since he actually didn't have anything to do with his father's actions. But he insisted. It's clear that he had it enough with his father, and choose to stay with his bestfriend."

"Ko Jiyong forgives him?" Junjin was curious.

"Apparently," the King answered shortly. "He's a good boy anyway. I'm planning to bring his father back as replacement for PM Kang, but knowing Mr. Ko's characteristics, I believe he will request for a fair election."

"Obviously." The Princes agreed. Unlike PM Kang, they like Mr. Ko. He was a funny old man.

"But I heard Mr. Ko already established a business in the States?" Minwoo asked.

The King smirked, "I guess his son will be staying there then."

Jiwon was looking at the documents too. He was sure he knew some of it, then he turned to face his assistant.

"I believe I've read this one somewhere..." his finger was tapping a paper, but his eyes shot a piercing look into Jaeduck's eyes.

"We..well.. Your Majesty," the assistant got nervous.

"I believe you don't have the freedom to give away an important document like this to anyone, without my consents," the foreign Prince looked dead serious. His assistant gulped hardly.

"Your Majesty.. I.. I'm sorry..but... King Imho threatened to..extradite us... So..."

"So it's you, huh.." Jiwon's glare was indescribable.

Jaejin strengthened his will to interfere, "Please..spare us.. Your Majesty.. We just want to..."

"Wait until we go back home, and I will punish you severely for leaking a secret," Jiwon gave a stern look. "Lucky it wasn't our own secrets that you traded, but imagine if it was something else. Even with me around you, you dare to do this.." he clenched his fists tightly.

"Please, Your Majesty.." Jaejin and Jaeduck fell on their knees. "But we're just following order.."

"Whose order?!" Jiwon snapped.

"Mine of course!" a new voice entered the scene. "Who else dares to order your personal assistant and guard, you idiot?"

Jiwon turned toward the voice, and his jaw dropped down.

"MOM?!!"


*** to be continued ***

 

p.s. one more chapter to go :)