Ultimatum

Daily Drama of Princess Changjo and the Princes

A/N. I'm using modern/western age reckoning system in this story, because I think it's easier for general readers to understand the characters' situation in their actual age. (Yes I know, although many Korean fans must have known that in Korea they add their age by 1 year.)


*** Chapter 4: Ultimatum ***


"What do you mean, Mama Lee?" Changjo was panic. She turned to her mom, "Mother, is that true? I'm getting married?"

Lady Shin pinched Lady Lee and the later just realized that she shouldn't speak anything about what she had just said. But it's too late.

"I believe it's not about marriage, my dear," the Queen try to fix the situation.

"But?" Deep in her heart Changjo knew it's still something related to the topic. Otherwise, Lady Lee wouldn't slip about it.

"It's more about... We should..." the Queen thought hard, "We'll start looking for candidates to be your husband. Your future husband," she beamed innocently, followed by agreeing nods from other Ladies.

"Me? But I'm not even sixteen?!" Changjo protested. "And you'll start looking for my husband? What about my brothers?"

"You want to marry your brothers?" Lady Lee asked abruptly. Resulting in Changjo widening her eyes.

Lady Mun quickly kicked her friend's leg, "Oh, come on, Youngmi-a, are you out of your mind? Changjo clearly doesn't mean that!"

Lady Shin reacted too by putting her hand on Lady Lee's mouth, "You better stay quiet."

"Moms..." Changjo obviously was still waiting for further explanation.

"Forget anything Youngmi said, my dear," Lady Kim patted the girl's arm. "It's true that the King starts to think about your future marriage. But he thinks about your brothers' too."

"Do us a favor by not telling any of this to your brothers," the Queen softly asked. "You too know well how they will react over this matter. Let's wait until your father announces it himself, shall we?"

Changjo wanted to comply, but she's still in shock.

"Changjo-ya..." her mother repeated. "You have nothing to worry about. Anything it is, we surely want the best for you, and your brothers."

Changjo realised the pleading look on her mom's face. After a while she bowed her head, "Yes..mother. I understand."

Changjo did understand. Ever since she acknowledged her place as a Princess, she knew that everything in her life would be arranged, especially the marriage. She just didn't expect the topic to surface so soon. For God's sake, she's just a highschooler. She couldn't believe it.

Just when I start to enjoy my moments with Jiwon sunbae...


******


"Changjo-ya..."

The Princess was having her peaceful day in her garden when suddenly she heard someone's shouting her name, and in any moment, just as she had predicted, her body was trapped in a pair of short-but-strong arms. Oh, and this time, a light peck landed on her cheek too.

"Minwoo oppa, I thought you left with the others to PC bang," she turned her head facing a boy that merely a centimeter taller than her.

"No.. They left me and Wannie.." he tried to pout, but failed since he's not that sad. Actually he wasn't really fond of online gaming, but sometimes he followed his brothers to PC bang near the Palace since they gathered with some friends too. Otherwise, why would the Princes left their comfortable 'PC bang' or rather '(any) game room' in their quarters?

"Then why don't you have a date with Dongwan oppa? It's pretty rare to see you two separated."

This time he really pouted, "Wannie was busy with that English novel I can't even read, titled... The imp...imps..."

"You're calling yourself an imp?" Changjo saw a chance to brother, causing her to get a sinister look from a pair of straight lines.

"Really, Changjo-ya?" He released her body from his prison.

The girl chuckled in amusement, she rarely had chances to brothers. It was always the other way round. "It's 'The Importance of Being Earnest' by Oscar Wilde, oppa. It's a play performance script, not a novel."

"It's the same. Book. In English. I don't understand how Dongwan is able to read it.."

"It's because Wannie oppa paid attention to English lesson. And he loves playing drama.."

"And we both love to dance. Come on," somehow suddenly Minwoo changed the topic and in a split second, he was dragging his sister to the Pearl Pavilion not far from them.

It was a pavilion specially built in the Princess' gardens by the King, ever since he knew his daughter's love for dancing. With a smooth seven meters diameter round white marble floors, she would be able to dance outdoor whenever she wished.

For the record, Minwoo's studio was right next to his room on the second floor in the Princes' Palace.

They arrived in the pavilion and stood in the middle. Minwoo happily grabbed Changjo's hands with his, "What do you want to dance today?"

Changjo raised her shoulders, "I dunno.. I'm not really in the mood for dancing, oppa.."

"Oh really?"

Changjo felt that her brother was observing her for a very brief moment, and without notice, the boy's right arm was circling her waist up to her back, pressing her to his body, and her right hand was extended, clasped together with the boy's left. Minwoo pushed his first step and she instinctively followed his movement. They were dancing Waltz, the girl's favorite western dance.

Minwoo was humming some song for company. They slowly moved comfortably, turning and spinning around the pavilion. In that particularly closed position, their faces were right in front of each other's, Minwoo could see right through Changjo's eyes.

"You had something bothering you, my dear baby sister?" He asked softly.

"Ye?" Changjo was a bit startled.

How could he sees through me right away, everytime? 

"What do you mean?" She denied. She promised her mother and moms that none of the prince should know about what she heard yesterday.

"Come on, you can't fool me. Even your steps are a bit messy, I know your mind is wandering somewhere else," he continued, still gently gazing his beloved sister.

"I'm not troubled with anything, oppa.." she answered, not quitting their steps.

Minwoo didn't say any words and he kept staring at his sister. His protective instincts within him start to arise, but he knew she'll hate it everytime he showed that, so he kept waiting, in silence. He knew that in this state, she'll open up to him anyway.

And he was right. "Well..." Changjo couldn't stand the imp's intense gaze, but she's resolved not to leak any secret, so she lied, "I'm just thinking about my dance with Eun Jiwon. He'd come up with the music already, I should have come up with some movements too.."

Okay, it wasn't really a lie since somewhere in her brain she was thinking about that particular thing too.

Minwoo narrowed his eyes.

Oh, very well Changjo, she cursed herself, you shouldn't mention anything about it too. You know your brothers are still upset about that.

"I know you hide somewhere yesterday for your practice, and I know it was because you didn't want any of us disturbing you. But I really think that you can't be left alone with him.."

"Oppa, please... Not again.."

"He didn't do anything bad to you, right? If he dares to..."

"Minwoo oppa.." she stopped their dance.

No one said any words. Minwoo couldn't blame himself for being protective against his only sister and his youngest. He thought it was his responsibility anyway. But he was sorry to see the irritated look from a pair of crystal eyes in front of him.

"Okay... Just tell me if he ever..."

"I will.." she cut him again.

He huffed, "You know we love you, right.."

Changjo gently place her hand on his face, "I know," she did understand the 'risks' of her brothers affections toward her. "I love you too and I thank you all for that. But really.."

"Okayokay... No need to say more.." he tightened his embrace and continued dragging the girl to their paused dance, eyes smiling.

Inside her head, Changjo was relieved that the talk was over, and glad that her brother let it go with that one topic. She couldn't imagine how will Minwoo reacted if he knew the real problematic thought she had.

"Oh, and by the way, we know that you were in rooftop yesterday. Wasn't it pretty hot? There's only a little shade, I guess. Next time just go practice in your or his studio. We won't disturb you. We promise," Minwoo add nonchalantly.

Changjo nodded agreeing that it was pretty hot up there although it's nearing winter, but then she realised, "Wait, how could you know that I was there?"

"Hyesungie told me," Minwoo answered. "He's watching you from Sports Gym rooftop."

"What?!"

"And he DID not do anything to you and Jiwon, so I guess Jiwon really did nothing threatening."

"Oppadeul.. you're... really something..." she shook her head in disbelief.

That's why I didn't get any nagging from Syungie oppa. He watched me anyway. How could he know I would be there? Oh yeah...alright.. See who we are talking about. Our fortune teller. He always see through everything... from anybody...

She was thinking inside her head, yet she got an innocent beam as a complement from the smiling eyes owner whose hand was holding her tight. Changjo was so irritated.

"You know, oppa, next time I dance with you, I'll have my high-heels on, so I'll be looking down on you..."

Minwoo squinted, "I'm sure you've heard about boots and insoles.."

"I'll wear stilettos and let's see how much insoles you will need to make you fall from your steps, like the last time you dance with Jinnie oppa..."

With that remarks she earned some pinches on her back and waist but she's satisfied she could repay her irritation that way.


******


The celebration day come. It wasn't as grand as people think about Princes' birthday party, but actually it was just a dinner. Well, yes it's not a modest one and quite different with the family's regular dinner, since the table were full with amazing food and desserts. Also, in the corner was the little group of palace's orchestra who was playing beautiful songs for accompaniment during the night.

Very few were attending the party. It was only the Royal family plus some closest friends: Hyemi, because she's always around Changjo -and Eric-, and she helped with the preparations, so she deserved to be there; Ahn Chilhyun and Lee Jihoon, Hyesung's bestfriends -out of his brother's circle-; Dongwan didn't invite any other friends since he had Minwoo already, and he thought that he might end up inviting all 3A to avoid jealousy within the class,while he actually preferred a less noisy dinner party. Besides, in three months they would be having Eric's birthday and the Graduation party where the whole Third Year will be invited anyway, so it's really not necessary for him to invite his friends now.

In the end, they had unexpected guests, who they didn't really want to see at the moment, but they was invited personally by the King himself. It's the Prime Minister and his son.

"What are they doing here, father?" Hyesung asked with obvious disapproval.

"I invited them," the King answered casualy.

"Yes, I know that, but why?"

"As the Prime Minister, it's common to have him in the party within the palace. And I want to brag about your CSAT score and challenge his son to beat you. That boy always want to beat you, princes, in any field possible, doesn't he?"

"Yes, and it is very annoying," Hyesung sulked, "Besides, he has Andy to beat in academics. You don't have to drag me in."

"He's just second behind Sunho. He might beat you," the King flirted.

Hyesung sighed, "Whatever, father..." And he left his father to join his siblings.

The attendees were all sitting in a long table, with the King sitting at one end. His children were sitting around the other end. Changjo sat next to Hyemi. Eric sat to Hyemi's left, and Hyesung sat next to Changjo. Across the table, Dongwan sat in front of Eric, next to him was Minwoo, then Andy, and lastly Junjin sat in front of Hyesung. Hyesung's friends sat beside them. That way, the Princess was perfectly guarded by her brothers around her, and surely there was no way for Sunghoon to break through. But he still manage to get a bit close as he sat between his father and Dongwan.

"Oppa," Changjo was looking at Hyesung who sat beside her, "Why do you eat so little? Here, have more meat," she took a big piece of Pork Galbi and placed it on Hyesung's plate.

"Thanks, dear, but I think I lost my appetite," he tried to give her the meat, but she put more sesame oil and sesame seeds for him. He posed a weak smile. She knew that he must be upset because their mutual enemy was there. All the King's children were never on good terms with the Prime Minister and his kin.

"Come on, oppa," she cut the meat into smaller pieces, dipped one into his brother's favorite dressing, and offered it right in front of his mouth, "It's your birthday celebration, so you have to eat A LOT. You know I cooked this, right?"

His smile went wider, "I'll eat A LOT if only you feed me.."

"Aigoo..oppa.. You're not my baby. In fact you are our mama bird. You're the one who used to force foods into our mouths even when our moms failed to make us eat.."

He kept smiling, and dropped his chopsticks, challenging her.

Changjo sighed, "Just open your mouth..." She was still holding the meat with her chopsticks. "Please..?" She almost started a staring battle when Hyesung finally opened his mouth, letting her feeding him the meat.

"Thanks, dear, it's delicious.." Hyesung said happily, munching the food. He opened his mouth again, and Changjo feed him the second piece.

Just then they heard Junjin dropping his spoon to the table. "That's not fair!" Junjin protested.

"Yeah, it's not fair!" Minwoo was joining him.

And soon enough Changjo received jealousy glares from her other five brothers. She slapped her own forehead. "Oh, God..."

She raised her head, not wanting to lose against her brothers. "You guys realise that other than Hyesung oppa, you sit pretty far from me to reach out my hand to you, don't you? Jinnie oppa, you have Andy oppa beside you. Minbong oppa, you have Wannie oppa. And Eric oppa..." she's facing her left, "Hyemi-a, you take care of him."

"Why me?" Hyemi was surprised.

"Because you sit next to him."

"But Changjo-ya, I want you to feed me," Eric whined.

"Yeah, Changjo-ya," it was Dongwan, "It's my birthday celebration too, but why do you.. You don't have a favoritism for Hyesungie, do you? We all are your brothers.."

"Yes, you're all my brothers. And No, I don't have favoritism for Syungie oppa or anyone of you," Changjo tried to remain calm.

Why do they have to throw a tantrum at time like this?

"Just feed all of them once and be done with it, Changjo-ya," the Queen interfered. "You know they won't stop until you do, don't you?"

"Yes mother," Changjo complied. "I DO know that." Consequently she rose from her seat, fulfilling her brothers' demands.

Just when she finished with Eric and Dongwan, she saw the look in Sunghoon's face for her. She knew he's been watching for her, and she also knew what he's going to ask, hence before he opened his mouth, she cut it already, "Don't you dare!"

He wanted to retort, but she cut it again, "I know what you're thinking! Don't even dream about it!"

"Oh, you can feel what I feel?" He sounded amused. "I'm honoured, My Gorgeous Princess.."

"Just shut up!" Seeing his cheesy face was enough to antagonize her.

"Changjo, don't!" The King interrupted. "You're being rude to our guest."

"I'm sorry, father," she threw her body down the seat. It's her turn to throw a tantrum, but she tried her best to remain composed. She wouldn't want to make her father ordered her to apologize to that blonde boy. She really hate the grin on Prime Minister's face.

"I see the Princes and Princess are deeply fond of each other, Your Majesty. You must be really happy," the PM complimented, but none of the Princes felt his sincerity in his words.

"I do happy," King Imho replied shortly.

"I guarantee that there won't be a problem when later one of them ascends to the throne," the old fox continued.

The King remain silent, knowing where his words were going to be.

"Isn't it the time already, Your Majesty, to choose the Crown Prince?" The boys in the table swore they saw only foxy grin on that old man's face. "We should enhance the stability of the throne, so this Kingdom will remain in peace. The Princes are old enough already."

"Yes, I know that very well, Prime Minister," the King retorted.

"Then, what are we waiting for, Your Majesty? Any of the Princes is qualified to be our next King, isn't it? If choosing one of them is not easy, we do have our customs and procedures to select one..."

King Imho wanted to riposte, but he's aware that he couldn't. Somehow he too disliked the way the PM talked. It's as if he's underestimating his sons, his beloved children. But that sly PM was right, at that moment, they should have had a Crown Prince already. It was the Princes themselves that tried to make their father to postpone any decision related to the topic, saying they're not ready, not worthy, or any other reason possible.

"You heard him, kids.." the King started low, but he increased his tone as he spoke to his children. "Can't we have agreement already about who is going to be the Crown Prince? You all once said to me that we should wait and see more before we decide who gets the throne. I, too, believe it's time already."

"But father..."

"We're still highschooler..."

"We're not ready..."

"We think we're not yet worthy for..."

"Enough!!" To anyone's surprised, the King hit the table loudly. "You asked me to give you time, and I gave it to you already. How much more do you wish to prolong this matter? Grow up, kids. Do I have to remind you that around your current age, I was crowned King already?"

"Sorry, father, but we.."

"No more buts!" The King rose from his seat. "No more reasons! No more delays!"

The children knew that their father could be very serious and scary at times -oh, of course, he's the King- but never ever they saw him showing his scary face for them, just like the moment.

"Perhaps, I should give you some...Encouragement..." The King smirked. The Princes knew it couldn't be good. "You all love Changjo too much, right? Even just now you were fighting for her affection, just like little brats. Fine, then.." he clenched his fist. "I give you your last chance to discuss within yourself about who is going to be the Crown Prince. If you don't give me any answer before Changjo's birthday on this January 1st... I will marry her... to Kang Sunghoon, and make them the Crown Prince and Princess of this nation!"

"What?!"

"Father! It can't be!"

Everyone around the table stood up once the King announced his statement. Changjo remained on her seat though, too shocked to hear what her father said.

"Father, how can you marry off Changjo to Sunghoon?" Eric protested.

"It's us who you're having problem with, why do you drag Changjo in?" Minwoo followed.

"You can't make Changjo the victim!" Junjin joined.

"Why does she had to marry Sunghoon?!" Hyesung almost shout.

"How can you make Changjo get married and let her husband takes the throne?" Dongwan tried to remain calm, but not really successful.

"Because you guys always seems to agree that Changjo should be the one to be crowned," The King countered. "I'm just fulfilling your wish."

"But you don't have to make her marry Sunghoon," Andy too was expressing his strong disagreement.

"Then who should I marry her to?" The King replied. "I do agree that Changjo is worthy for the crown, and I believe she'll make a good Queen. But who is the one worthy enough to be the Crown Prince alongside Changjo?"

No one answered.

Suddenly, the King's eyes were sparked with another thought. "Ah, I know... It's you, boys. You.. If you don't want Kang Sunghoon to take your sister and your crown, you have to decide quickly who is going to take the position," he smirked in challenging manner. "It's up to you.. You have to select the one who's going to be the Crown Prince... and together with it...marrying Changjo..."

The whole hall turned into silence.

Wh...

Wha..

WHAT?!!!

I...am...going to be... the Crown Princess??

And.. I have to marry... either Sunghoon.. Or one of my brothers??

My own brothers??

This... THIS IS MADNESS!!!!

"Father, you must be CRAZY!!!"


*** to be continued ***