Moving Forward

Once I'm Honest

"There's drool..."

Henry wiped his mouth. "Shut up," he said, elbowing Eric. 

His eyes followed her around his living room. She looked so good. The color really suited her. Her face was usually quite child-like, but the red added an extra level of maturity that he couldn't ignore. He felt a piece of his soul die when she covered it all with a beanie so they could take the dogs for a walk. 

They headed out, leaving Eric eating popcorn and watching television on Henry's couch.

"You want to stop by that shaved ice cream restaurant you like?" he asked. "We could share a bowl." 

"Sure," she agreed readily, trying to make sure not a single strand of hair was escaping from her beanie. 

Their friendship had been awkward for a bit after his confession, but they'd found an almost comfortable footing again. Amber hadn't spent the night at his place since, though, and he figured it was for the best.  He wanted to hold her again. He wanted her sweet face between his palms and her big eyes looking up at only him. 

The walk was pleasant, the night was nice, but the conversation was still a bit hesitant, the jokes not coming as fast as usual. He found himself wanting to hold her hand, and knew at some point he would have to get over that or find a way to do it in a non-awkward way. The touches between them used to be so casual and easy. Now he found himself over thinking everything he did to the point it all came across as awkward. 

Some of it went away while they ate, sharing stories and catching up as usual. Amber had a few worries that she laid out for him. Not to fix them, just to hear them. He did the same, unburdening himself to her as he'd grown used to. He imagined months stretching into years of them talking together like this.

"Why are you so quiet all of a sudden?" Amber asked.

He realized he hadn't spoken in nearly ten minutes just imagining their possible life together. He smiled shyly. "Nothing. Let's go. The dogs are getting restless and you scraped the bowl clean." 

Walking her back to her apartment, Henry reached out and took her hand, boldly lacing their fingers together. He thought she would protest, but she didn't say anything. "I'm thinking about going home to visit my family soon. I miss my mom." 

"Isn't it weird how annoying moms can be when you're with them, then you feel like crying like a baby when you're away from 'em too long?" Amber said with a laugh, thinking about her own mom, probably sitting at the kitchen counter, planning some social events within the church while her dad puttered around the kitchen. She would probably head back to visit her own home soon too. 

"Heh. I think my mom asks me five times a day if I've eaten yet or brushed my teeth like I'm five years old."

Amber glanced at him out of the side of her eye. "Have you brushed your teeth? I didn't want to say anything while we were eating, but your breath-"

He bumped her with his elbow. "Shut up. I think I saw two old men die in the back of the restaurant when you asked for more chocolate syrup."

She glared at him. "Your breath probably explains why that family of five came in, then turned right back around and left." 

He cocked a brow at her. "What about the twenty people who got up and left when you laughed?" 

"They were getting up to help the forty people choking outside the restaurant when you called for the waitress." 


"That was Henry?" 

Amber nodded, peeling off sweaty t-shirt and beanie. 

"It's okay to like him, you know." 

Amber rolled her eyes. "I know," she told Krystal. "And I know that I like him. I'm just not sure how much." 

"Date him and find out." 

"I already told you why I can't do that. Just him confessing almost ruined our friendship, imagine what some exploratory relationship would do." She shook her head, pushing the damp strands of hair out of her eyes. "One day I'll be ready to find out. Just not yet. We're both too busy anyway, plus he's out of the country a lot these days, and probably even more in the future. I miss him enough while we're just friends. If we're more and we're spending months at a time away from each other..." 

Krystal got up from the couch and wrapped her arms around Amber's shoulder's, ignoring her protests that she was sweaty and needed to shower. "I get it." She tilted her head and kissed Amber's full lips. "You're both too young for something serious anyway. Especially Henry, no matter what he thinks," she laughed, running her fingers through Amber's hair. "He's still so immature in some ways."

"Really, oh wise one?" Amber asked, cupping the face of the girl five years younger than Henry who liked to pretend she knew everything.

"Yes, really," Krystal said with her superior smirk. She punched Amber lightly in the stomach. "Now go take a shower, we've got some Prison Break to watch."

"I feel like it's going to be terrible. I want to work on my songs."

"You're always working on your songs. Take a break. You'll be better for it. Come on."

Amber sighed, as usual allowing herself to be steamrolled by the younger girl. Her head was honestly a little too crowded for songwriting anyway. Henry's hand had felt really nice holding hers.