Silly Little Things

Once I'm Honest

Amber sat on the sofa, letting something play on tv. She wasn't sure what, she was barely paying attention. She kept thinking about what Krystal said about her maybe needing therapy. 

"Pasta?" Henry asked from the kitchen. 

She nodded and pulled out her phone, scrolling through it. She tapped on Krystal's name and sent a quick text. >Sorry about last week. It won't happen again.

She received a quick response back. >Sad to hear. Was hoping your funk would last long enough for me to touch your chest.

Amber laughed lightly to herself and shook her head. >I'm gonna do something about it. Realizing some bad habits is kinda my first step. 

>I'm a bad habit?

She could practically hear the pout. 

"You want a salad with your pasta?" Henry asked. 

Amber nodded absentmindedly. >You know what I mean. I'm a bad habit for you too. 

>We could try...

Amber closed her eyes. >Sorry.

>Worth a shot.

>Sorry

"Desert?" 

Amber nodded again although she didn't really have an appetite.


Henry wondered who Amber had been texting. Her mood, which admittedly hadn't been great when she showed up, just seemed to get worse. 

He focused on making the food though, glancing up at her every once in a while. She seemed to be deep in thought and he wondered if she'd share her thoughts with him like she did in the past. Seemed like such a long time in the past now. He couldn't remember what their last deep conversation had been about. They'd been keeping things light and on the surface for years. He wanted to change that. 

"Here you go," he said, sitting her plate down on the low coffee table in front of her. He put his plate next to hers, then went back for the drinks, sitting a pitcher of water down as well. 

He settled next to her on the couch. "What're we watching?" 

She shrugged, picking at her food. "No idea. I think I scrolled through three channels and all of them had Kang Ho Dang. I just stopped on one." 

He laughed. "Yeah. He's everywhere." He swallowed some of his pasta. "I put fresh cucumbers in the salad." 

She gave him a little half smile. "They taste good. Thanks." 

The atmosphere was so awkward. Silence settled over them. 

"Have you been skating lately?" 

"Not really...Tired." She massaged her shoulder a little and focused on the screen, bringing her plate to her lap. 

"Urm, your new hair color looks pretty on you," it was an ash brown and a little longer than usual. She looked gorgeous. He was glad she hadn't worn a hat over. 

"Thanks." 

Henry sighed and put down his plate. He picked up the remote and shut off the tv. 

"We're not doing this." 

She looked over at him. "What?" 

"We're not becoming those people who don't know how to talk about things or are just friends because we're friends. We're gonna talk about stuff, okay? We're gonna be close again. We're gonna be real friends, and then after that...we're gonna be more." 

Amber turned her attention back to her food, though it was more shifted around her plate than eaten. "I'm not in a good place right now, Henry. I never have been. And I don't want to get into it right now." 

"Amber-" 

She shook her head and put her food down. "I really don't, Henry. I don't wanna think about it, I don't wanna talk about it. I came over here to have fun, so can we just do that please?" 

"But you're not having fun. You're not even with me right now, mentally. I don't know anything that's been going on in your life! Who you've  been dating, who you've been hanging out with-" 

"The same old people." 

"Or why you and Krystal-" 

She held up her hand. "We don't talk about that," she warned him. 

"Then what do we talk about?!" He shouted, frustrated. "We haven't talked about anything in years! We know each other's schedule, we watch stupid Rom Coms together every few months. We talk about what other people are doing. I want to know what's going on with you and I want you to know what's going on with me. You know I slept with a stranger the other night?" 

He couldn't read the expression that appeared on Amber's face. They didn't know each other anymore. 

"I wanted to be with you. I keep thinking about you and wondering if I've missed my chance and -" 

She stood up from the couch, shoving her arms into her jacket.

"Where are you-" 

"You're so stupid, Henry! I-" 

"I haven't dated anyone after you said you'd think about us being in a relationship. I was waiting while you apparently weren't-" 

"That's not how it works," she sobbed.

"Oh, I'm supposed to be alone while you date every single guy who isn't me? While you make out with your best friend-" 

She didn't mean to slap him. She just did, then she regretted it, and the pain in her shoulder was like a living thing, and he was right and he was wrong at the same time, and so was she. 

She clenched her fists together. "I'm sorry. I have to go." 

"Amber..." 

"I'm scared, you idiot. I always have been and I'm messed up too. Don't talk to me." 

He tried to grab her as she hurried out of his apartment, but she was fast and his brain was muddled and suddenly she was out the door. 

"What just happened?" he wondered, looking back at the sofa where he'd had Amber only a few seconds ago and now she was gone. 

He touched his face. She'd never hit him before. She'd never seriously hit anyone. He wondered if he really should leave her alone or if he needed to take this time to really reach out to her.

He picked up his phone, hoping he was making the right decision.