Chapter 1

Mu-Saek (Colourless)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“We have to stop meeting like this. Someone might notice.” Ji Eun glances around nervously as she watches him get into the car.                                                                         

“Do you really care?” Ji Yong asks strapping the belt in place.          

“Of course, I do!” Ji Eun glares.  Ji Yong sighs. “Alright, then? Where shall we meet?”

“I don’t know. We should look up some places. Anyway, what do you want to do now?”

“Want to go down to Han River and smoke up?”

“Yeah sure, what the hell,” Ji Eun says reversing the car. “Ji Yong, I was watching this movie last night—it was sick. I had to stop in between. And apparently it gets worse.”

“Which channel was it on?” Ji Yong said looking out of the window. He itched to pull it down and feel the cool seoul night air on his face. But he knew he couldn’t so he kept his arms firmly in his lap.

“The name of the movie you mean?” Ji Eun asks crinkling her eyebrows a little.

“No. Was it on 305?”

“Omo, how did you know? Were you watching it too?” Ji Eun gives him a sidelong look. They really were twins.

“Leaving Las Vegas, was it?” Ji Eun nods. “Yeah I watched it. It was terrible. Good thing you stopped.”

“I thought you were out to dinner?”

“Nah, Seungri was being an so I excused myself early.”

“He is kind of annoying.”

Ji Yong scoffs. “You have no idea. Want to grab a bite later?”

“Nope, I’m on a diet. Can't eat after 6.”

“.”

“Yep.”

“Then let’s just go back to my apartment later?”

“Khol.” Cool.

“Khol!” Ji Yong shouted, excitedly, rolling down the window and screaming into the night air.

“Don’t do that! What if someone sees you!?” Ji Eun exclaims, worried. Though the street is deserted it will open up into a crowded market place soon. But Ji Yong does not listen. He wants to feel the wind in his hair. If only for a moment.

 

“I think it might rain,” Ji Eun says glancing at the sky. She hated driving in the rain. “If it does, you drive.”

They were sitting on the hood of the car, leaning back against the windshield stargazing—or sky-gazing for there was no stars in the sky today. It was terribly dark.

Ji Yong wrinkles his nose before taking a puff of the joint and passing it to her. “No way, I hate driving in the rain as much as you do.”

“Driving in the rain is romantic, Ji Yong sshi. And romance is the key to any successful relationship,” Ji Eun giggles. She knew how much Ji Yong hated heteronormative norms being forced on him.

“Dating someone a decade older than you is not really ideal either.”

“11 years. And we broke up. Or haven’t you read the news?” Ji Eun grumbles, annoyed. She didn’t want to talk about Jang Ki Ha right now. It wasn’t the right time. She didn’t feel like talking about him to anyone. She didn’t feel they would understand. She felt they would either trivialize it or make too big a deal of it.

“I did,” Ji Yong says surprising her. “You okay?”

“No, but I will be,” Ji Eun shrugs. Ji Yong nods, saying nothing more. “Yesterday I did this show and they wouldn’t stop asking me about it. It was so annoying.”

“I think I saw the promo. Cute skirt.” Ji Yong says getting down. He takes out two beers from inside the car and hands one to Ji Eun.

“I thought so. But they kept giving me this blanket to cover it up! I didn’t wear it just so it could be covered up. I hate it when they give me a blanket. It’s so—,” Ji Eun struggles for a word which is not a curse word.

“Patronizing?” Ji Yong offers.

“Yes! Exactly. Do they think I don’t know I’m wearing a skirt—or that I don’t know whether I can handle the skirt I'm wearing? If my underwear shows—yeah it’d be embarrassing—but it wouldn’t be, shouldn’t be that big of a deal.”

“But covering up—,”

“—is a mark of a girl,” Ji Eun completed. “And being —,”

“—is also for the girl.”

“How annoying. I wish I could spread my legs as far apart as I wished to without anyone thinking too much of it.”

“Shush Ji Eun sshi, someone might overhear and say you are not a girl.”

Ji Eun smiles. “Then I might have been finally understood.”

Ji Yong smiles back. “You have.”

 

 

After getting high and drinking at Han River they decide go to Ji Yong’s house to hang out. Ji Eun sits on the sofa, her feet tucked under her. Ji Yong is busy searching for a movie he’s been wanting to show. Ji Eun pulls one of the many covers Ji Yong has placed next to the sofa to over her. She feels like a caterpillar, warm and satisfied.

“What are we watching today? Please not one of your art movies which will make me want to jump off a building.”

“And who is it that keeps watching La Belle Personne in secret—and crying, may I add?”

“No you may not. Fine, play whatever is on your horrible agenda today.”

“We’re watching Glenn or Glenda? It’s not that sad. If you don’t get it, that is,” Ji Yong smirks, putting the movie on his TV.

“Aigoo, so it’s a trap is it! If I don’t get it then I’m not sad, but I’m also stupid, but if I do get it then I’m sad.”

“And not stupid.”

“The world is not black and white,” Ji Eun scoffs, annoyed. What did he think of himself? He was such an sometimes.

“But this movie is,” Ji Yong says, finally managing to play the movie and coming back to sit with her on the sofa. Ji Eun looks at him surprised. “Black and white movies are my favourite,” she mumbles. “I know,” he smiles softly, making Ji Eun smile too. She stretches her leg to nudge him with his toe before withdrawing.

When the movie finishes, Ji Eun is uncharacteristically quiet. She's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter