White Lilies

Fix You

She talked about almost everything, from the crazy little dog named Jjing Jjing she had back in her childhood day, her undying love for Crocks, to her favourite food tteokbokki she has been craving for since she can't get that spicy rice cake near the Rehab area. And she was asking about everything, like what her favourite colour is, did she also loved tteokbokki, did she have a pet at home, and a bunch of random question which only earned a simple word, a yes , a no, a nod, and a shake of head as the answers by the latter. Not that she expecting much though, those short answers and simple gestures from Byulyi were better than nothing. 

After about half an hour driving down the busy morning road of Seoul, and almost completely being ignored, instead of being annoyed and all, Yongsun strangely started to think that Byulyi cold attitude was kind of cool. Maybe it was because she's getting used to it. She also noticed some details about Byulyi's features. Her cute pointy nose, her small pouty lips, her silky blonde locks, to a small mole below her left eyebrow. It was amusing since she has a similar mole, besides hers was on the right. It seems like the moles mirrored each other if they happen front each other face to face.

Gaining reactions from this stone-like girl is also fun. Intriguing as if she just winning a jackpot. Challenging as if she was facing a baby tiger, cute, but must be taken with caution as she might bite and sticks her paws without a warn. So, when Byulyi stopped their cab at a nearest flower shop and bought a bouquet of flower, Yongsun didn't miss the chance to tease the girl.

"Don't tell me you had tricked me. Are you sure you're going to meet your Mom instead of your boyfriend?" Yongsun cooed after they're back into the cab. "Just a few people I know use flower as a present to their Mom nowadays, and you're apparently among those few. Who would expect this cold Moon Byulyi has such romantic side?" She teased. As expected, Byulyi sends her a glare that she coded as something like 'Shut up' or 'It's not your business'. But instead of feeling intimidated, such glare makes her giggles and craved to tease more. 

"But why Lilies? It's looks like you're going to a funeral instead of a birthday celebration."

She was expecting another glare from Byulyi and surprised when she give her longest answer so far. "It's her favourite." Well, at least it's composed of three words, certainly longer than her previous. After giving her answer, Byulyi turns her head to look over the window, and Yongsun took that sign to end her teasing game.

Recalled what had happened in her office a few days ago, Yongsun was actually debating herself when she offered to go out with Byulyi in order to her leaving the Rehab Center. It's not something common to do, even regulatory wrong as it's not literally written on their regulation. She even didn't think that the motive of Byulyi's request was valid enough. Like, celebrating a someone special's birthday was arguably an important matter for many people, but it's not considered as crucial to let someone leave the Rehab Center. But seeing the frustration and disappointment in those eyes, she didn't have the heart to say no. Moreover, if she can go out with Byulyi, maybe she can dig something from her past.

Let's say that she was running out of idea on how to approach Byulyi. She had a talk with Kim Soekjin, the boy who introduced himself as Byulyi's boyfriend in a hope that this boy at least could give her some information. But she also got almost nothing from him.

"Kim Soekjin-ssi, I just need some information regarding her past. It's important to establish what exactly caused her to run to drugs and identify any potential triggers so we can make a proper plan for her treatment and sustain her sobriety." Yongsun explained at the time they met after his visitation.

"Yongsun-ssi, I don't think it's something I had a right to talk about. You should talk to her parent instead of me." Soekjin answered.

"I've talked to Mr. Moon, but he didn't give me much information. Byulyi started to take drugs when she lives separetely for her college, so he said has no clue of Byulyi's addiction history. I think that you're my only hope since you're her boyfriend and must have known something about it."

It's true that Yongsun had a phone conversation with Mr. Moon, Byulyi's father. But he didn't provide her much of information. However, she had a feeling that Mr. Moon was not completely clueless about Byulyi's drug abusing involvement. He held something related to Byulyi's past.

"Then you should just ask her. That girl was a lot to handle and might give you a headache, but not unreachable, you just need more of effort. She will open up once she thought you're worthy enough to hear her story." 

And the conversation with so called boyfriend ended just like that. Nothing much.

It's not like she never tries, it's more like all of her effort were going nowhere. May be Soekjin was right, she didn't really try that much. So, she convinced herself that her going out with Byulyi was her another effort in an attempt to know the girl better.

But bending the rule wasn't something that easy. She had to beg Mrs. Han so many times and assures her that nothing's bad going to be happening in order to get her approval. She was about to give up and defeatedly apologize to Byulyi for giving her a false hope, when finally Mr. Han half-heartedly giving her approval for them to leave the Rehab Center.

And here they are now, taking a cab heading somewhere she didn't know to celebrate Byulyi's parent's birthday.

__________

Standing on the grassy ground, Yongsun takes a few good seconds before she snapped and everything suddenly clicks on her mind. Now everything makes sense. The bouquet of white Lilies and the sad look on Byulyi's face were not something made for attending a birthday celebration. 

"There's no way I can run from you at a place like this. So, just stay here. Don't dare to come any closer." Byulyi warned before she walked the stoned path. 

Yongsun still busy collecting her mind, but then decided to obey and let the latter has her time alone. She might need it. She heaved a sigh and seated herself at the nearest bench available in the entrance area. From her spot, she can sees Byulyi stopped and crouched down at one particular spot. Yongsun held her breath and watches her from afar.

__________

She has so much in mind to share. She wants to tell her how much she misses her, how much she missed being wrapped in het warm hug, how much she missed her shooting voice, how much she misses her everything, and how much she wants to say sorry for everything. But nothing comes from her lips. Her voice dies down on . The emotion was too overwhelmed, as taking a simple breath was suddenly too much to do.

"Hi, Mom. I am here." Byulyi said after she took some minutes to calm her down. "Did you miss me? Cause I missed you so much."

"I am sorry I couldn't see you as much. I'm going through the treatment and just had a chance to see you right now." Her breath hitched. "Happy birthday, Mom."

She placed down the bouquet of Lilies and plant a kiss on the photograph attached to the tombstone. 

Byulyi thought she was nothing but a numb-hearted dead walking zombie, but seems she was wrong when a drop of warm wetness trickled on her cheeks. She looked up to see if it was raining only to find out that the sky is crystal clear and the drop was actually coming from her eyes. It started with a single drop, and then followed by another that were flowing like a stream. It's unstoppable. 

The next seconds she was helplessly hugged the tomb, lying her head there as if she could hug the person lying inside. At that moment, a pair of hand gently caressing her back, before end up on her waist as the person hugged her from behind. Her first instinct was to push the person away, but the warmth from of the hug was too comfortable so she decided to let it be. 

Yongsun wasn't sure if she could do something to ease the girl. Seeing the girl who always puts a cold mask on her face being this fragile pained her as well. She hugs her tighter, feels relieved when Byulyi relaxed under her embrace and didn't push her away like she always do.

Meanwhile, a man standing at the side of graveyard with the same bouquet of flower on his hand. His eyes were teary as he witnessed the scene from afar.

"I am sorry, Byulyi-ah. I failed as a father." 

__________

Yongsun knew she should've said no, she really should. But when Byulyi said she has one more place to visit before going back to the Rehab, that was the time she became weak. She hated it. But how she supposed to reject Byulyi after such a breakdown moment ago? After all, it might be her only way to ease the girl, to let her enjoy her day for a while.

Holding a can of beer in her hand, Yongsun shrunk under the gaze of a pair of judging eyes scanning her all through. She hopes she has as much confidence over this guy like she had a week ago. She hated how the situation turned the other way around now. She was under his gaze and unsure of what should she do. She couldn't even rejecting when this guy shoved her a cane of beer even though she knew she wouldn't bear to take a sip a single drop of it.

Maybe it was only in her mind, but this guy seems more intimidating than the last time she remembered seeing this very same guy at the Rehab Center. She was in his apartment after all, his kingdom. He has every right to enjoy his upper hand situation.

"So, Yongsun-ssi, you met her, right?" He asked. "Byulyi's Mom." 

Yongsun jerked, "Oh, yeah... we've visited her earlier." She paused, contemplating whether she should ask the question that has been lingering in her mind since they left the cemetery. "What happened to her?" 

"She didn't tell you yet?" He exhaled. "Then I'm afraid you should have to wait for a while, till Byulyi tell you by herself."

"I pessimist about that." 

"Why?"

Yongsun shrugged "She don't like me. It's that simple. It will be helpful if you can give me a tips or two on how to melt her heart? You're her boyfriend, that's proved you're an ace. I need an advice here."

She didn't know if she had said something offended, but she saw a glint of sadness in his eyes. "That girl was stubborn as hell. She's going too hard on herself. But I think I should less worry, since she seems in the hand of right person. Please take care of her, Yongsun-ssi."

"I will take care of her, but I think you over-valued me, Seokjin-ssi."

"You might not notice it yet. But trust me, I knew it. She just needs someone to knock some sense into her head, and you seem to have that potential."

Yongsun didn't get it and was about to asking more when the door of the bathroom cracked open.

"Finally. I thought you fallen asleep there. I was about to bring you a pillow." Soekjin teased, showing her a pillow he use to support his back earlier. Byulyi grabs the pillow and nonchalantly smacked it to his head.

"Ouch, easy girl." He grinned.

Byulyi roamed the apartment room, looking for something and search for help when she didn't find what she's been looking for. "Where did you keep that, oppa."

"Ah, it's in my room, above the headboard, I guess." Seokjin replied whilst Byulyi jogged to his bedroom. 

"Why the hell it's in your bed. Don't tell me you have a hidden crush on my Mom." Byulyi shouted from the bedroom.

Seokjin rolled his eyes. "Silly. I loved your Mom, but I love you the most. And no, you leave it there Byulyi, not me."

"Kim Yongsun-ssi, can I bring it to the Rehab? I guess I can't get my phone till next few months, this photograph will help." Byulyi comes out and showed a picture of her with a lady. The same lady on the tombstone, Byulyi's Mom.

"Just keep it." Yongsun approved. She was amazed by the amount of words coming from Byulyi's mouth in these few minutes. It was certainly beats the amount of words she had during their drive.

"Ok."

"If you're done then let's get ready, we should go back to the Rehab." Yongsun declared.

Byulyi sighed. "You're killing the mood." She glanced to Seokjin who gives her a sad look.

"You have to go, baby girl. Behave there, so I can see you in the next few months without them scanning me and hostaging my ID." Seokjin softly smiled and ruffled Byulyi's hair before plant a kiss on her forehead.

"I can't promise." Byulyi gives him one last look before stepping her feet away. "Let's go Yongsun-ssi."

Yongsun obeys and following suit, catching up for Byulyi who was already reaching the door. 

"Kim Yongsun-ssi." Seokjin called. "Today was a rough day for Byulyi, please get easy on her, at least for today. I trust her under your care." Soekjin said before he closed the door shut, low enough so that Byulyi couldn't hear what he just said. 

Yongsun puzzled, but she didn't dig further.

__________

"I only agree to accompany you for one sole purpose, your Mom's birthday. I never said we can wander around after. Let's go back, now." Yongsun stern.

"Come on, spare your grace on me, Yongsun." Byulyi groaned. "The tteokbokki here is the best. It's on me. It's the way I show you my gratitude."

Hearing tteokbokki makes her stomach grumbled. Yongsun can feel watery all of sudden. "Wait, Moon Byulyi, are you trying to bribe me? And since when you called me just by my name? Call me unnie, please. I was more than sure being older than you."

"But I am taller"

"And then....? It has nothing to do with height."

Yongsun still refused to believe it. Byulyi muttered sentences longer than three words sounds unbelievable. She was starting to talk-active since they were in Seokjin' apartment. And did Byulyi just ? That was definitely beyond believe. Did meeting a boyfriend bring such miracle? Or was Byulyi a bipolar or something?

"I refuse to call you 'unnie'?"

"And why was that?"

"Because you look younger than me." Byulyi shrugged.

"Just fyi, I am 27, Moon Byulyi." Yongsun emphasized her words.

"And you are so proud of being that old?" Yongsun left speechless. She didn't know if she liked the quiet Moon Byulyi better than the talk-active one.

Fortunately, their food arrives, the smell of tteokbokki melts her. It looks delicious. Yongsun forgets about her annoyance toward Byulyi. 

"It smells good." Yongsun exclaimed.

"Told you. It is."

Taking her first bite Yongsun moaned in delight when the delicious rice cake melts in .

"He's cute." 

"Who's cute?" Byulyi asked.

"Your boyfriend." Byulyi seems on her good mood, and Yongsun takes the risk to make a conversation. Maybe it's the right time. A light topic will be good as a starter. 

Byulyi frowned for a while, before she get who was Yongsun referring to. "Ah, it's Seokjin, right? You can't take him seriously." 

"Wait, he's not your boyfriend? But you really looked like a couple. You even had your stuff on his place. Don't get me wrong, I think you're cute together."

"Are we?" Byulyi amused. "I invaded his apartment once in a while. I moved some of my stuff from my apartment to his before I moved back to my house and get registered to your Rehab Center."

"But I really think there is more going on between you two."

"He's good, I don't deserve him." Byulyi flatly spoke, but Yongsun could sense the sadness on her tone. She decides to change the subject.

"This tteobokki is awesome. Since you paid for it, can I have another plate? I feel like can finish two or more." Yongsun patted her tummy.

Byulyi chuckled. For a split of a second, Yongsun swears she could see a faint smile on Byuyi's face. It lasted only a blink of an eye, and she would have missed it if she happened to blink at that time. But it's enough to awaken the butterflies in her stomach. It's cute, and she's glad to could draw such smile to her face. But when she has a chance to look straight into Byulyi's eyes, she knows she had failed. Miserably.

Her pupils explains of why Byulyi seems different. The words flowed from her lips, a bit of playful act she showcased wasn't really seems like Byulyi at all.

She wasn't sure when was Byulyi took it, maybe it was by the time she took long enough in Seokjin's bathroom. Byulyi was being high, right before her very eyes. What a tragic irony for a drug counselor worse than this? It's much more stinging than a hard slap on her face.