Jihoon's Voicebox

This is How the World Works
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

INT: HOSPITAL – JIHOON’S ROOM – MORNING

When Jihoon wakes up, he’s wrapped in Hoshi’s arms and Seungcheol is fighting with the remote. He clears his throat and winces as Hoshi stirs and wakes a swell.

HOSHI

(Smiles)

It’s alive!

Seungcheol turns from the TV and lights up at Jihoon’s wakeful eyes as he rises and comes closer.

S.CHEOL

Get off the bed!

He taps Hoshi on the leg as Hoshi cuddles Jihoon some more. Jihoon looks around till he finds his sketchpad and marker and he points at them. Seungcheol turns around and gets it for him.

S.CHEOL

You’re being weird.

Jihoon takes the marker and sketch pad from him and begins writing as Hoshi looks over his shoulder. After a few seconds, Hoshi begins to frown. Jihoon holds up the sketch to Seungcheol and it reads.

JIHOON

I can’t speak.

Jihoon points at the bandage on his throat.

S.CHEOL

What?

Jihoon bends and writes again as Hoshi shifts in his place, looking uncomfortable.

JIHOON

The doctors said something about my larynx being damaged. Bruised? I’m not so sure.

A tear falls from Seungcheol’s eye.

S.CHEOL

What does that mean?

Jihoon writes again and turns it over.

JIHOON

I won’t be speaking for a while.

He smiles at Seungcheol as Hoshi eyes Jihoon in anger.

S.CHEOL

(Cleans his eye)

For a while?

Jihoon laughs and Hoshi lets out of the bed looking slightly peeved.

HOSHI

You made it sound like you’re permanently mute.

JIHOON

You should’ve seen your faces.

As Jihoon turns the pad for them to see, he chokes and starts to cough jerkily like he is trying to reduce the pain. Hoshi and Seungcheol rush to his side, anger forgotten.

S.CHEOL

Should we call someone?

Jihoon waves at them.

HOSHI

CEO said only two people could come in.

S.CHEOL

(Nods)

Yeah, everyone’s dying to see you.

HOSHI

Seungkwan cries every night.

Jihoon’s eyebrows scrounge up as if to say “aww” but he makes no sound. Then he writes again.

JIHOON

CEO-nim nearly didn’t let my mom in. He slept

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter