The Girl in the Elevator

Definitely Neighbors

Denee rode the elevator back to her apartment. It was unmistakeably the most productive she has been for decades. Save from the annoyance she felt a while ago, it was a good day and she felt good for being able to do that much workload.


The elevator was empty when she rode it but it opened again and an elderly woman with a lot of luggage stepped in. Denee helped her with her things and pressed the button to her floor as well as the elderly’s.
The building has 35 floors with a rooftop garden on the 35th and a salon and spa at the 34th. The rest of the floors are residential units with the floors from 28-33 being VIP suites. Every floor has 4 units in it and the VIP suites only have two units each floor. Due to a generous sponsor, Denee rents one unit on the 30th floor. She has no idea who her neighbours are and she doesn't really care that much to get to know them. However, according to her aunt who has lived in Korea for years, she should send a gift to her neighbor as a form of greeting. She plans to do that as soon as she’s done organizing her things in her unit.

The woman Denee is accompanying lives in the 32nd floor. She was old yet there's an aura of authority and glamore to her. She might be hella rich, Denee thought.

"Dear, how old are you?", the old lady asked Denee.

"I'm turning 24 next month, maam", she replied.

"No need to call me maam. Just call me Julia. You're the same age as my grandson", the old lady, Julia, shared.

Denee just bowed and politely smiled at the lady.

"Are you new here, dear? I'm pretty sure I've never met nice people in this building", she said.

Denee smiled awkwardly at her, not knowing what to reply.

"Oh! Here's your floor dear!", Julia said as the door dinged and opened on the 30th floor.

"Do you need any help with your luggage maam-- I mean, Julia?", Denee asked.

"Oh don't bother! I don't want to impose on you."

"Oh don't worry. I have nothing to do anyways. I insist", she said as she closed the elevator doors.

Denee helped Julia with her things as they arrived at the 32nd floor. The upper floors really are for the elites of the elites. Denee felt grateful towards her sponsor that she was able to rent in this prestigious building. She actually had no idea it was that posh as she only considered living in the building since it's near her school. When she discovered how much the rent was, she tried to refuse since it was too much.

"Oh dear!
감사합니다! Have you had your dinner?"

"Yes I already did! Thank you so much!", Denee replied.

"Oh well, I hope you can spare some time to have dinner with me. We could invite my grandson so he could meet you.", Julia said.

Denee smiled awkwardly not knowing what to say.

"He's talented and a genius but he's actually shy with girls. That's how he just hangs out with those boys making that awful awful noise downstairs", Julia said, cringing at the last part.

Denee laughed along with her.

“I’m actually just new here in Korea. I thought my throat would dry up from not talking to anyone. Thank you Julia-halmeoni! Please tell me if you need anything. I live in unit 302”

“Thank you dear! Have dinner with me one of these days”, Julia-halmeoni said.

“Neh! I’ll definitely make some time for you halmeoni!”, Denee replied.

 

Denee rode the elevator back to her apartment. She decided to call her mom then. Her keys fell out of her pocket when she was trying to get her phone on her right pocket using her left hand. Just then the elevator dinged and opened on her floor.

She was about to bend and pick her keys up when 3 sets of feet entered the elevator. Her keys were kicked by one of the guys toward the corner. Sadly, it was the corner that the guys soon occupied. Instead of alighting on her floor, she was forced to stay for a couple more floors as she awkwardly tries to get the keys without making the guys notice. Finally, when she had enough of making a fool of herself, she then asked them to scoot so she could get her keys.

“Excuse me! You accidentally kicked my keys when you entered. It’s the one behind you, the one near the fire extinguisher”, Denee asked while pointing towards the fire extinguisher on the corner of the elevator.

“Oh sorry!”, one of the boys said.

“Here!”, the other one said, giving the keys back to Denee.

“We’re so sorry! We didn’t notice”, the third guy said.

All three guys are wearing face masks with the other one also wearing a sunglass to boot.

“What floor will you alight miss?”, the tallest one asked offering to press the floor button.

“It’s okay, I’ll go out here. Thank you so much and sorry for the bother”. She then went out after bowing goodbye to the three guys. She missed the confused and amused looks the guys exchanged inside.

26th floor huh.

Denee decided to take the stairs instead, eager to get back and sleep as soon as possible.