Oops, Mian!

Definitely Neighbors

 

A girl just entered a cafe looking exhausted. Denee just finished moving in in the condiminium unit nearby. She's carrying a lot of readings because she's planning to start on the readings assigned to her by her professors. She's in her early twenties, taking her master's education in Forensics in Soonchunhyang University, Korea. Classes hasn't started yet but her professors already sent via e-mail the books she has to read in class for next week. 

 

Today, Denee, although she's dead tired after all the unpacking, woke up early and planned to dedicate the whole day to read atleast two books and take down notes, to serve as a reviewer, so that she could just read through it a day before the start of the class. She's wearing jeans and a simple black shirt with the quote from Game of Thrones "VALAR MORGHULIS" printed in white at the front and she's carrying a backpack for her laptop and books. She immediately went to the counter and ordered the unlimited refill coffee that the cafe offers. She'll need a lot of caffeine to survive the day. After ordering, she went around the cafe and looked for a table which is near electric outlets because she needs to plug her laptop. Finally, she found a seat near the back of the cafe which is originally a four-seater table that is now turned into two two-seaters. Someone is already occupying the other half of the table. 

 

"Excuse me, is someone seating here?", Denee asked. 

The man was wearing a black hoodie and a black mask below his chin. He looked up and stared at the girl.

"Uhh n-no", he stuttered.

 

She smiled at him, noting how adorably he stuttered. He looks familiar, maybe an actor? Or a kpop artist? Not sure. She just shrugged off the idea. She's not the kind of person who fangirls in person. Never in her life did she make a scene in front of celebrities, even though she sort of always crossed paths with some back then in her college days.

 

"Can I sit here? There's no other vacant seats with an outlet nearby." 

 

"Sure", he said after clearing his throat. 

 

He stood up and let the girl pass through so she could plug her laptop. She sat on his opposite side and the man kept on stealing glances at her. She didn't take notice as she immersed herself in her books.

 

~~~~~~

 

"Ma'am here's your 4th cup of coffee and strawberry cheesecake. Enjoy!"

The waitress came carrying a slice of cake. 

 

Denee was mindlessly typing in her laptop while reading her book that she didn't notice the waitress coming till she spoke and placed the cake in her table. 

 

"Miss, excuse me" Denee called the waitress back who was already on her way back to the counter. 

 

"I'm sorry but I didn't order any cake. You must have given this to the wrong person"  she continued. 

"Oh no maam. It's for you and you don't have to worry because someone already paid for it", the waitress said. 

"What?", Denee asked, shocked. "Wha-wh-who", she stuttered. 

 

"He doesn't want to let you know who he is. He just said that you've been working 4 hours nonstop and you could use some food."

 

Wow. Who is he? She thought. She looked around the cafe and saw no one looking at her. She expected that the guy, whoever he is, would see to it that the order was given to her. However, she didn't see anyone suspicious or anyone doing things out of ordinary, let alone anyone who'd be interested in her.  She looked at the man sitting beside her but he was talking to someone on the phone. 

 

I guess it's not him either.

 

"Okay, thank you! Could I also ask for a glass of water? Thanks", Denee said to the waitress.

 

The waitress nodded then left. 

 

She settled down and took a bite off the cake. 

 

"Wow! I didn't notice I've been working for four hours. Four hours yet I still haven't finished this awful awful book", she said out loud, not loud enough to cause a scandal but loud enough for the man in the next table to look at her. 

 

He looked at her quizzically. She smiled at him and bowed her head down to apologize. He just returned the gesture and continued talking on the phone.

 

She decided to take a rest and play minesweeper on her laptop. After a while, a group of squeeling girls came up behind her and approached the man at the table next to her. She just ignored them and continued playing when suddenly the girls squeeled and jumped so hard it shocked her, and she accidentally clicked the wrong box, ending her game. 

 

She gasped when she saw that there's only about 15 more flags to put. She doesn't like it when she's interrupted when playing minesweeper. The squeeling girls annoyed her so much. I wanna kill this .

 

"Oppa!! Kyaaaaah!!! Can I take a picture with you!! Kyaaaaah!!", squeeling girl 1-4 said in a chorus. 

 

"Omo omo! Eotteohkke!! He's so handsome!! Oppa oppa!!", squeeling girl no 5 told her friends 6 &7. 

 

"Marry me oppa!", number 6 said. 

 

"This goes to my SNS daebak!", squeeling girl no 8 said. 

 

Denee saw the man uncomfortably smiled at the girls. He tried to accomodate all of them while politely telling them to quiet down. 

 

He might really be a celebrity. This screaming and squeeling es better shut it! I might just whack them if they continue this. 

 

The waitress then came and served Denee her water. But because of the girls squeeling and jumping, they accidentally bumped the waitress and the water spilled on Denee. 

 

IT. WAS. ICE. COLD. WATER. 

 

 

ON. HER. S. 

 

Denee tried to take control of her emotions before she could kill the girls. This es are wearing my patience thin.

 

"Ma'am I'm so sorry!! I'll go get a tissue for you", the waitress bowed multiple times to apologize. 

 

"No, no, it's okay! It's not your fault", Denee said. "I'll just go to the washroom", she continued. 

 

The girls looked at the scene for a short time then continued squeeling at the guy. 

 

The waitress left and went to the counter to get tissues. 

 

Denee stood up to go to the washroom. She caught the guy staring at her looking apologetic. Denee saw the sincerity behind his eyes and she smiled at him as if to say "It's okay! It's not your fault". 

 

The guy looked taken aback by her smile. The squeeling girls saw this and turned to Denee but by then she was already walking towards the washroom. 

 

"Damn squeeling es! So what if he's a celebrity?! It's obvious that he's in disguise, that he wants some privacy too! Ughhhh!", Denee said to herself while wiping the spilled cold water on her shirt. Thankfully she's wearing black so the wet area didn't turn transparent. When she was on her way to her table, the guy stood up and raised his hand then the squeeling girls turned towards her.

 

What's that? A signal to attack?! I thought he was a good guy! Why is he doing this to me?! Why are they coming towards me?!

Their actions stopped her from moving especially when the girls squeeled again and rushed towards her. She stood on her spot and awaited her death.

 

I guess this is it. Good bye cruel world.

 

Except that the impact never came. The girls ran past her towards the man behind her. Nevertheless, their rushing threw her off balance. Luckily, the new guy behind her caught her.

It wasn't even a romantic way of catching where the prince charming puts his arms around the girl and they stare in each other's eyes lost in the oblivion or so the novel says. The man behind her just caught her back with one hand then pushed her to keep her balance. She was thankful, nonetheless. Without even sparing her and the squeeling girls a glance, the man walked past her and sat infront of the man in the table next to hers. 

 

He was sitting beside her and she hated it. Why? Because the squeeling girls followed him, making the path to her own table blocked. She wants to curse out loud but compelled herself not to. She tried to worm herself in the crowd to get to her seat. She tried pulling the girls out, heck, she even tried to ask nicely, but the monstrous hord of girls did not budge.

 

The new guy ,while occasionally talking to her seatmate, smiled at the girls and signed autographs. He also accomodated their selfie requests. After a while, about 5 minutes or so, the staff from the cafe lightly shooed the girls out, apologizing to everyone for the commotions, especially, to the two guys. 

 

Denee was finally able to go back to her seat. Luckily, she found no damage to her things. The two guys were having a conversation that Denee couldn't even care less. She packed her things and didn't even spare a glance towards the two guys, missing the sorry look that the first guy threw at her.

~~~