Chapter 4

To Counter The Opposite

Note: italicized texts are said in english.


First day of college is turning out great. I was lucky to be able to get the classes with most of the good professors. Well I hope the last one's good too. Let's see. English class, room 310. 

308,309,310!

I was about to grab hold of the doorknob when suddenly, the door flew open and hit my freakin forehead. Argh. 

"Sorry!"

Hope that didn't create a mark. Now who was that person who opened the damn door? Oh wait. She's gone.

"Taeng!" 

I waved back as I heard Yuri, Sooyoung and Hyoyeon. We had decided that we should all at least take one class together and thus having english class. Yoona was unlucky though. She had too much in her schedule. 

"You okay?" Sooyoung asked. 

"Yeah I'm fine. Just a scratch." I replied as I sat on the chair in front of Yuri's. I hope that the professor wouldn't create his own seating arrangement. 

Let's see now...

Sooyoung and Yuri at the back then it's Hyoyeon by my left, a guy in front of me and an occupied seat by my right. Aish I think my seat mate is an untidy one. Her bag as wide open and I can see all her crumpled papers inside. Isn't she worried that someone might steal her stuff or something?

"Alright class, settle down now." Damn the professor's voice makes me want to sleep. It's so.... lulling. Wait is lulling even a word? Anyway, this is gonna be one heck of an english class. Fighting Taeng! You must fight the drowsiness!

"Alright class, do all of you know how to speak in english?"

"Ne, gyosu-nim." Most of the class answered while I heard some letting out a sight and by some, I meant Hyoyeon and and Yuri. Those two do know how to speak in english. It's just that they couldn't get some of the pronunciations right.

The professor is currently making us introduce ourselves to the class in english. I see no problem there but I'm worried about those two and the person who's supposed to be seated by my side. Where is she anyway? I assume she's a she since there's a make up kit in there. Or am I being too discriminating? Maybe he's metro ual or gay? 

Oh it's Hyoyeon's turn! "H-Hello. Kim Hyoyeon. BFA Dance." Wow that was short. It was now my turn. I stood up and introduced myself. "Hi. I'm Kim Taeyeon and I am taking up BS Architecture."

Before I was able to take my seat, the professor spoke up. "Ms. Kim Taeyeon, is that your bag or is someone really seated there?" He said in straight english. The lecture hasn't even started yet and here we are using a lot of english words. I looked to my right and saw that the person hasn't returned yet.

"It's not mine sir. The bag was already there since I got here." I replied in english too. I looked around thinking that some of my classmates would know where my seat mate is. A number of students in the class seems to understand our conversation. I took my seat and turned to Hyoyeon asking her in korean where the person was. I heard someone said "finally" as I spoke in korean. 

"I think she went to the bathroom. She went out in a hurry, right before you came in." She replied.

"Well then shall we proceed to the ne--" Before the professor even got to finish his sentence, the back door flew open, revealing a girl who looks quite familiar.

"I'm sorry! I'm late." All eyes were on her as she proceeded to take her seat. I can see some of the boys were almost gawking at her. Heck even the professor was starring at her! She sat down and looked at my direction whispering to me something that I didn't quite catch. Why does she look so familiar?

"Yah, room mate. Stop starring and answer me. What was the class doing?" Oh ! Right, I remember! She's my dorm mate!

Suddenly, I felt all eyes were on me. "Sorry. We were introducing ourselves in english. It's your turn now." I replied. Damn she's beautiful.

"Oh okay."

"My name's Jessica Jung and I'm currently taking BA Fashion Merchandising." Her english is hot. Ok what am I saying? Get a grip Kim Taeyeon! Is this like Tiffany Hwang moment all over again? Ok it's time to focus for the lecture!

•••

Lecture is almost over and if there's one thing that would summarize my experience is that, seating next to Jessica is not a great idea. She freaking slept throughout the whole lecture! Who the heck does that on the first day?! I was so bothered by the idea that I wasn't able to focus that much with the lecture. In addition, the professor's voice does not help at all. I can't wait to finish this semester already!

"That's all for today class. I'll see you on Wednesday." The professor said. Finally! I suddenly feel more lively now that I couldn't hear his voice. I then took my stuff and placed it inside my backpack.

"Yo Taeng! Let's go grab lunch." Yuri said as she slung her arm over my shoulder. I was about to stand up but then I remembered that Jessica was still asleep. "Yeah sure. I'll just wake her up." I said as I pointed my thumb to my right. Yuri and the others gave me a questioning look but I shrugged it of.

"Hey, Jessica. The class is over." I said as I slightly shook her arm. 

No response. I shook her shoulder. Still no response. "Yah wake up. We're the only ones left here." 

"Taeng I'm hungry. I'm sure she'll wake up later. Let's gooo." I swear Sooyoung priorities her food more than anything else. "We can't just leave her here Soo." I said. 

"Do you know her Taeng?" Yuri asked. "She's my dorm mate." I answered nonchalantly. They suddenly starred at me with eyes wide open. "What?" I asked.

"Are you for real?" Hyoyeon asked. What's wrong living with Jessica? "Yeah why? I just met her a while ago though." 

Suddenly, Sooyoung spoke up. "Taeng.....you're lucky." Ok I know that she's pretty but I don't think I'll able to get along with her. Wait why do they all seem jealous?

"What, are you all lesbians now?" I asked, half chuckling at their reactions. "You can have her as your dorm mate then, if you want." I added. All I want is to have less distraction at my place. 

Suddenly the person we were surrounding groaned. "Yah you're all too noisy." Jessica said. Thank you for waking up. Now we can go grab our lunch. "Hey we were doing a you a favor here for not leaving you alone." I said. Jessica raised her eyebrow in response. 

"Aigoo please don't mind our Taeng. She's just hungry. Would you like to join us for lunch?" Sooyoung said, not bothering to leave out the wink at the end. "That's a great idea Soo!" Yuri said, while Hyoyeon gave them a thumbs up. Now they want to have lunch with her. I knew it. These guys are awakening their inner lesbianism.

Jessica looked at them for a while, seemingly scanning our group until her eyes landed on mine. Hey, why was mine more of like a glare? "I guess it's fine." Jessica said, facing Sooyoung back. Why do I feel like they're taking the opportunity to know her better just because I'll be living with her?

As we were walking towards the food court, Sooyoung and Hyoyeon were talking with Jessica, asking her a bunch of stuff, while Yuri was walking beside me. 

"I won't pretend that I didn't notice the way you looked at Jessica a while ago, Taeng." Yuri suddenly said. Oh boy. 

"What look?" I asked while trying to act as innocent as possible.

"Aish. You know what I mean. Now you got me convinced that you're really into girls." 

"I'm not." Well maybe I am? But who cares? It's not like I'm into relationships right now. Academics Taeng, you can do this!

"Psh. Whatever."

Yuri went on ahead, catching up with Jessica and others. The fact that they all seem to be getting along with her is giving me a negative feeling. Is it because I'm worried that they're bothering the girl too much or is it something else? Ahh this is giving me a head ache.


I hope that I'm doing this right. lol :)) Enjoy the rest of your week fellow readers!

 

oh and just to be clear this is a taengsic fic. I'm sorry for all the confusion. :( I just had to bring out some past regarding on how taeyeon was able to handle her feelings back then.