Chapter 1

To Counter The Opposite

It's the last week of my summer vacation and I actually don't know what to feel about it. Like, do I have to feel sad that my vacation is about to end; or do I have to feel happy that college is about to start? Is it weird that I feel neutral right now? 

"Taeyeon-ah, breakfast is ready!"

I suddenly got up from bed, fixed things up, and did my morning routine just as I heard my mom calling out for me. Yep, this is how organized I can be. I just hope that these routines, well except for the mom-calling-you-for-breakfast thing, keep up in my college life.

I went down just to see my mom placing another plate for me at the dining table, dad watching morning news, Jiwoong oppa finishing up breakfast to go to school, and Hayeon....oh wait. "Appa, where's Hayeon-ah?"

My dad simply answered my question and apparently hayeon went out to a sleepover. Aish that kid, not even telling me she left. That girl can really be the opposite of me. She's quite the bubbly one.

"So taeyeon-ah have you already packed the things that you'll bring at your dorm?" Mom asked. I just stared at her, realizing that it hasn't even sank into my mind that I was about to live five years of my life living in another home.

"Aigoo our Taeyeonie got into her summer vacation too much" dad chuckled. 

"Dad I barely even had the chance to enjoy it.  I wasn't even able to go to the beach with you guys because of the requirements I had to submit for the scholarship at the university." Like whining wasn't enough for my dad to stop pityingly laugh at me. I rolled my eyes at him hoping he would stop laughing.

"By the way, the unit we got you was meant for two people to live in, meaning-"

"Ne omma, I know. I'll be nice to her, interact with her and all. It's not like having a roommate can be that bad right?" Or is it? I know that I can be a little bit sensitive when it comes to personal space but....aish I'll just deal with it later. I still have a week for all this college life stuff.

"Ok but make sure to make good friends okay?" Why is mom so worried. I think I'm old enough to know how to make friends. And besides, I already have Yuri and the gang to accompany me all through my college experience. I'm sure they'll be able to do the let's-make-new-friends part.

"Yeobo, I'm sure Taeyeonie can easily make friends. She maybe smart but she's not a nerd, right?" He turned to me showing off his toothy grin. I just hummed in response. 

•••

I checked my watch and seeing that it's already five minutes past three, I immediately dialed Yuri's number. 

"Yah black pearl! Where are you? It's awkward being here alone."

"Oh come on I'm just five minutes late. Why not be more taeyeon, Taeyeon?" I hear her chuckling on the other side of the phone and somehow also at the back...oh wait she's here and she's carrying some groceries. Why though?

"Yah why did you even drag me out here? Isn't it too late for us to be hanging out at the mall to enjoy our summer vacation? We should've done this weeks ago!" It's not that I hate being outside, it's just that I'm more of a homebody.

Yuri has always been the outgoing one in our group. Actually, let's add Hyoyeon too. I don't even know how she manages all her time and energy considering she was a student athlete back in high school who also graduated with honors. 

"Come on let's go to Soo's! We are gonna party!" Purposely prolonging the word 'party'. She's totally excited about this. Well I guess I do prefer other's home too than hanging outside.

"I thought we're hanging out here?" I even brought a car. I could've just took the bus to Sooyoung's. Or wait...don't tell me she just dragged me here to use my--

"It's super hot outside, Taeyeon. I wanted to ride your car." Ok I was right. Ugh the parking ticket is gonna be a waste. I could've just taken the bus if it was just going to someone else's house. I mean they wouldn't mind me a little sweaty. On the other hand, the mall is another thing. I'm kind of more cautious of my image when I'm outside.

"And why didn't you tell me we were gonna go to Soo's in the first place?" I was leading her towards the parking area of the mall. I really find it convenient living in one of these bunch of classy style condominiums sited near a mall. Making all the grocery shopping and restaurant eating less hassle. I actually wished we lived in one.

"And let me bring all of these grocery bags with me in the bus? No way. I knew you would rather go here, take the bus with me and bring all these to Soo's than for you to bring your car. Plus I got to skip that 'what's more practical' argument with you."

She has a point. Damn my friend is too good. We finished placing the bags at the trunk and I guess it's off we go!

•••

"TAEYEON UNNIEEEEE!" Ah my favorite dongsaeng is here. 

"Hi Yoong! How was your stay at the U.S.?" She's matured a bit, becoming more lady like. Ah it kinda makes me proud to see her all grown up. 

"It was all good Taeyeon-unnie! I might actually be able to catch up with your english speaking right now. Wanna challenge me?" I take it back. With her wrinkling her eyebrows like that, she's still kinda childish. Cute.

It wasn't long till Sooyoung was able to finish all the cooking for tonight. And that's good because I'm really hungry right now. 

"Cheers for us, surviving our high school and officially enrolled to the university we all wanted!" My friends can be such party people. Sometimes I feel like I'm not fit for this kind of group but hey, they make me feel like I belong and that's why I love them.

Here we are with a few empty bottles of soju (and more unopened ones) and we're still playing this silly game of 'never have I ever'. I can't even remember how many rounds has it been. I can still clearly count how many fingers I have left that are raised. One.

It's Hyoyeon's turn and seeing that smirk means that this could be something epic. Or maybe not. Who knows? Why am I even thinking too hard about this game? "Never have I ever......had a crush with the same gender." 

Ok this is something that I wasn't sure about. I wasn't particularly sure if I really had a crush on Tiffany Hwang back in grade school. I mean it could just be an admiration for all I know. I didn't really put much effort in knowing. Hey, it's academics before crushes so don't blame me. 

"Yah Kim Taeyeon. Put that finger down. Tiffany Hwang. Ring a bell?" Ok so maybe Yuri was right, I did have a crush on her. Just a little. I mean who doesn't have a crush on Tiffany? Her eye-smile is a killer!

"Wow I knew about Yul and Soo liking girls but Taeyeon? You actually liked someone? Daebak!" Hyo actually had said that with her eyes wide open in disbelief while Yoona and Sooyoung just had their jaws drop. 

Yuri was the only one who knew about my crush towards Tiffany since it was only in freshmen year where the gang was formed and Yuri has been my best friend since we were small. 

"Hey it was a small crush. I don't even feel like it has to be considered as a crush."

"You guys should've totally been there when Taeyeon was actually staring at Tiffany at english class! It was like she was looking at the girl like she was some work of an amazing architect." Aish Yuri was making it seem less believable but I can't deny that part. There really was a time when I stared at her. 

Anyway, guess I have to take the shot. How many shots has it been anyway?

"How 'bout a bet?" I raised my eye brow at what Sooyoung said. What is it this time?

"Ohhhh I think I know where this is going Soo!" Suddenly all four pairs of eyes landed on me with a smirking Sooyoung and a grinning Yoona.

I sighed. "What?"

"I bet that you, Kim Taeyeon, would get into a relationship within the first two years of our college life." Is Sooyoung for real? No way. Taking up architecture is no joke. I've got no time for relationships. Heck I'd rather date my plates then!

"Soo....I have to disagree with you there." Wow I never knew Hyoyeon would actually be at my side this time. "I bet that it would take within our first year!" Aaaaand I take it back.

"Guys...."

"Ehhhhhhh I go with Hyo-unnie!" And there they go, ganging up on me. I think I need better friends. "I bet you guys it would be within the first term!"

How do I get out of this? "Yah...."

"Yuri-unnie...is that even possible??"

"Yah..."

"We'll make it possible!"

Ok I bet that I wouldn't even be in a relationship until I graduate and make tons of money on my own. "YAH YOU GUYS!"

Good, good now all eyes on me. "How about if all of you were wrong and I am still single by the end of our second year: Yul has to be my driver, Soo has too cook me meals whenever I want her to, Yoong has to be a fashion terrorist; those three all for a week and Hyo has to decline the first three parties she's invited to. Deal?" Ha! Can't wait to have driver Yul and chef Soo.

"Pfft--is that all? Deal but if we win the bet: I get to have you as my driver."

"You get to treat me lunch or dinner. Wait scratch that, you'll treat me lunch AND dinner."

"Unnie, I'll have the same with Soo!"

"And you'll have to sponsor my party."

"Deal!"

And just like that, my summer vacation was closing to an end. I just hope things would go well.