Unknown Wisdom

Telecom Juniors

===

With passing days come passing times. Han Seo couldn’t help but let them pass in a sunny day, out in the field sitting down, holding a card in her hand.

Eight times she had picked her junior and eight times they came and went. Han Seo would’ve given up but knowing it was the last, she had to endure for the last time.

“Jang So Jin, Intelligent Junior.” Han Seo mumbled as she checked the card. “Still part of the series, huh?”

“Yah, Choi Han Seo!” She heard Han Kyul call. “Don’t tell me you’re purposely soaking wet by the sprinkler!”

Han Seo didn’t see it coming that she actually got a little wet. She huffed and dodged before she got soaked. “Heol…thanks for the reminder.”

“Anyways. Come with me to lunch.” Han Kyul said.

Han Seo accepted it and joined her.

+++

It was the end of the examination week. Han Seo checked the bulletin board for the rankings and as expected, she was in first place for the IT Department. She checked the other list for the juniors and checked the first placer.

“Jang So Jin…” She mumbled.

It was the first time she saw that name and she was impressed. She decided to go back when a call greeted her senses.

“Sunbaenim.”

She looked to the side and saw a tall woman with a crowd of students making way for her, all while she looked down and studied her book. Han Seo managed to see her up close. She was bemused that they were almost the same height.

“Annyeonghaseyo, sunbaenim.” She bowed. “I am Jang So Jin, your final junior for the telecom promo.”

“Yes, hello…” Han Seo bowed back. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

So Jin shook diligently and Han Seo nodded, just in time for the bell to ring.

“Do you still have classes?” Han Seo asked.

“I am done with mine, sunbaenim. How about you?” So Jin asked.

“Same. Shall we go and have snacks together?” Han Seo asked.

“I would love to, sunbaenim…but I have to study back at my dorm.” She said.

“You have an upcoming quiz?” Han Seo asked again, almost shocked.

“No…but I need to study.” So Jin said.

“Well, I’m off to the convenience store to study. You don’t want to join me?”

“Omo…really?” So Jin gleamed.

“Why wouldn’t I? I’m your senior.” Han Seo reasoned. “For formalities, I need to know you more so we need to have this time for introductions.”

“Ah, yes! Point taken.” So Jin nodded.

Han Seo usually said things casually but this turned out into a formal discussion. Nonetheless, she went on as So Jin followed her.

+++

The two sat face to face with books in their hands. Han Seo read and drank her isotonic drink as she could spit her drink on So Jin’s choice of snacks.

On So Jin’s side, she had nuts and chocolates. Han Seo stopped to watch So Jin study as if her brain was going to explode. She even noticed her shove nuts on .

“You didn’t order a drink?” Han Seo asked. “You could choke.”

“I don’t need to replenish myself with liquid, sunbaenim. I am fine.” So Jin said then points at herself. “Asphyxiation won’t beat this woman.”

Han Seo could only nod and continued to read. Flipping the last two pages of the sixth chapter, a mantra of words disrupted her to study the next.

She could hear the terms of the nervous system as it was mixed with philosophy. It was witty but it did distract her from studying. She sighed and stopped to look at So Jin study as if there was no tomorrow.

“So Jin, a minute of your time, please.” Han Seo and So Jin stopped. “Would you mind letting me help you relief your studying?”

“Is there something wrong with my course of action, sunbaenim?” So Jin asked.

“There’s none. I can see your intelligence, So Jin. Simplify your way of studying and you’ll feel like going through school carrying a feather.” Han Seo. “It’s how I do.”

So Jin was curious and eager to learn so she nodded. Han Seo began teaching her and that became a moment of her bond with So Jin.

+++

A knock disrupted the place. Han Seo went to the door and was greeted by So Jin carrying a heavy bag. Han Seo her shoulders shaking that she decided to go carry it for her. “So Jin, what brings you here?”

“Shouldn’t you ask to how she found our dorm?” Han Kyul added.

“She’s smart, Han Kyul. She has her ways.” Han Seo batted.

“Sources. Han Seo-sunbaenim is famous here.” So Jin answered Han Kyul’s question. “I’m here to ask if you would help me study.”

“Okay. What subject?” Han Seo asked.

“Political science.” So Jin said.

“Easy.” Han Kyul mumbled.

“Says the woman who only got a 3.5 GPA on that subject while I got an easy 4.0.” Han Seo batted and Han Kyul was caught off guard.

“Touché.” Han Kyul replied.

So Jin was amused and wondered about the sudden beat on her chest as she looks at Han Seo.

“We’ll do it at the back lobby. It’s quiet there.” Han Seo as she got out.

“Ne.” So Jin nodded as she followed.

+++

It was another day and another set of exams for all the students at the university. Han Seo and So Jin went together, the students gasping and making way for them, seeing them as the descendants of Plato and Aristotle. So Jin’s room was passed by first and the two stopped for a farewell.

“Sunbaenim?” So Jin called.

“Yes?” Han Seo responded.

“Can we have tutorials on software engineering later?”

“Meet me at the lobby at 7 PM. I can’t meet you during the afternoon schedule because I have a project to finish.” Han Seo said.

So Jin nodded. Han Seo noticed her shoulders shaking that she gave both soft pats. “Enough with the nervousness. Take a deep breath and clear your mind.”

So Jin stopped and nodded. Han Seo checked if she was good to go before leaving but as she did, she stopped as she felt something on her cheek.

Han Seo watched So Jin go to her seat and shrugged before she went to her classroom.

+++

A series of sighs and claps greeted the hallway as the seniors checked their results of the exam. Han Seo looked up and had her eyes wide.

“Aish, that reaction…” Mi Rae huffed. “You got an easy 100 over 100, Han Seo.”

“Seriously, I never thought to get it again.” Han Seo said.

“So humble.” Jeong Mi nudged her. “Want to check the results from the juniors?”

Han Seo nodded and followed the two towards another bulletin board. Han Seo looked at highest scorer and she was very impressed.

“Heol…Jang So Jin got a 100 like you.” Mi Rae gasped.

“Please. If it were the same level of exams, we’d ace it too.” Jeong Mi sighed. “It seems our Han Seo tutored her, which I heard from my juniors.”

“Only a little. The rest was all hers,” said Han Seo.

A resonating scream was heard and the seniors looked to see the juniors and So Jin running towards Han Seo, giving her a tight hug. The seniors cooed, grabbed their juniors, and left. Han Seo cussed lightly but she got to So Jin’s attention and hugged her back.

“You saw the bulletin board, sunbaenim? I got a perfect score!” So Jin gleamed.

“Just like me before.” Han Seo said. “As said in your card, you really ARE like me.”

“You’re free now, right? Shall we study?”

“Again? So Jin, you need to let loose.” Han Seo said. “You could cram too much. Cramming isn’t a good habit to begin with.”

“We can while we study, right?” She asked again. “I won’t cram. I promise.”

“Okay. On second thought…” Han Seo began. “…let’s study somewhere else.”

+++

Han Seo and So Jin arrived at a development hub where students can do anything related to school work. So Jin wowed as they got in. There were IT students, art students, even medical students who were doing lab tests.

“We got a spot at the top room. Come.” Han Seo said and helped her with her books.

Climbing a set of stairs, they arrived at their room. So Jin was the last to get inside and she wowed again. It was like down below but already set in a 9 square meter room.

“You can plug your laptop with a LAN cable for internet access. The power outlet is also near.” Han Seo said. “So what do you want to learn in software engineering?”

“Implementation stage.” So Jin said. “I created a program for the system by following the document but I don’t think it’ll suffice.”

“You have to use the proper software development kits and create a backup of your document with the changes. That way, you won’t be hassled during the defense.” Han Seo added. “For your software, I advise the common languages. Don’t complicate the usage of programming language. Stick to what you’ve learned and ask on the long run.”

So Jin nodded and started working. For Han Seo, she plugged onto her earphones and listened to her classical playlist as she continued to make her own project. It was silent for So Jin but it was considered a place of solitude, enabling her to do her tasks well.

Minutes ticked and turned into hours for the two. So Jin was almost done with her project when she felt a load onto her shoulders, making her head spin and her ideas rumbled in her brain. But a poke by her ear and a sound of Fur Elise eased her. She looked to the side as Han Seo shared the right earpod and stretched her limbs, completing her project.

“Calm yourself. If you have something to ask, then ask.” Han Seo said.

“Sunbaenim.” So Jin called. “I need a bit of help with the methods.”

And just as promised, Han Seo helped her. So Jin felt relieved and felt the various thumps on her chest come back.

Han Seo was too good for her. But then, their relationship won’t last forever.

+++

It may have been two weeks but So Jin and Han Seo shared an intellectual bond. They studied together, excelled together, and even became representatives to run as part of the student council.

During the campaign, So Jin and Han Seo may have run together but they were also competing together to run for department representatives. They were models of intelligence and good leadership but both had different perspectives. Han Seo was eager to run in order to lead and to serve for the students, also indicating that “fun and people’s benefits were first”. On the other hand, So Jin indicate to herself that she was the most suited for the position, planning to do innovations for the school due to her background in learning technology and business.

“I was able to achieve my own success, which is why I believe that I am the most suitable candidate to become the next department representative. I won’t name names but I am better than a mere heir to the throne.” So Jin said in her speech.

It left some of the IT students to mumble and whisper towards each other. Han Seo was on the side and was shocked of So Jin’s behavior, reminding her of her past.

What can she say? So Jin was a junior like her.

“If not me, then who in the world could compete and defeat Choi Han Seo?!” She spoke loudly.

“Just as competitive and uptight as I was before…” was all Han Seo could say.

+++

Puking wasn’t So Jin’s cup of tea but it had happened due to nervousness. It was the last phase of the campaigning period and the delivery of the last impressions was her last chance. Compared to Han Seo, she was losing. The thought almost haunted her in her sleep up until now.

She faces the mirror and relaxed, wiping her sweat and washing her hands. As she heard another part of the program completed, she got out and went back to her post where Han Seo was sighing and applauding lightly.

“You look pale, So Jin. Are you nervous?” Han Seo asked.

“N-No…” I answered.

“Did you have tteokbokki for lunch?” She asked again.

“H-How did you know, sunbaenim?” So Jin was shocked.

“It’s been a while since you addressed me that. Well, you smell like rice plus you have a drop of gochujang on your uniform.” Han Seo answered.

So Jin looked down and huffed as she scraped it off. Han Seo grabbed her wet wipes and wiped So Jin’s uniform for her. So Jin froze and she found the little gesture so heartwarming.

“Grubby and wrinkled…” Han Seo mumbled.

“Sunbae, I heard from the higher-ups that the winning IT representative will be getting a cash reward of 500 dollars.” So Jin spoke.

“That’s all just a hoax. Who in the world would give consolations to candidates? We’re not the Cabinet.” Han Seo said. “Even if that were to happen, the winner would get less. There’s deduction for the campaign and that would be split to the department and the winner. You’d only get less than half.”

“But at least it’s something, right? That would be enough for a buffet.” So Jin said. “I missed you, sunbaenim.”

“What’s there to miss of me, So Jin?” Han Seo said.

“Our times together. We got held back with this political run within the school premise. We’re like competitors rather than in the senior-junior relationship.” So Jin said. “I was driven up to this I ended up saying unusual stuff during the campaign period. I was even driven to compete against you.”

“Don’t worry. I know you wouldn’t mean it. I was like that before.” Han Seo spoke as So Jin looked at her. “It’s a good and bad thing. Competitive, driven, and uptight towards the benefit of everyone…exactly like the intellectual me.”

Han Seo felt by her hair. She looked to the side, seeing So Jin adoring her as her fingers caressed her soft locks. “How could someone this beautiful and intelligent become so caring at the same time?”

“Am I really that?” Han Seo asked.

“You are…” So Jin inched closer. “I suppose that’s why I love you.”

IT Department, standby.

Han Seo broke and exhaled. “Ready?”

So Jin nodded as they were called to the stage. At the back of her mind, she wanted the whole political campaign to end soon.

Her time with Han Seo will be over soon. She has to make most of the time to be with her, just like they used to.

+++

It was voting time in the university. Han Seo would be able to finish hers first and went to chill by the lobby. She rests her head when she was called by someone, causing her to jolt up.

“Mi Rae?” Han Seo wondered as she saw her panting.

“Something’s up.” Mi Rae spoke. “So Jin has been disqualified.”

“What?! Why?!” Han Seo grew worried.

“Both of the running presidents in both of your parties were reported to have a conflict and it leaked just now.” Mi Rae said. “So Jin’s been pointed out.”

Han Seo and her went to the voting rooms where students gathered. Seeing Han Seo, they made way. Han Seo was shocked to see a video of her and So Jin during the last campaign.

Han Seo chuckled of that, making the rest wondering. So Jin should’ve been relieved but she grew more tense.

“Who called my sunbaenim here?!” She flipped out as the others stopped her.

“So Jin.” Han Seo held her arms gently to calm her. “So Jin, I had to know-“

“Who called you, sunbaenim?!” So Jin was crying.

“So Jin, don’t be scared…” Han Seo spoke. “I’m here and we’ll settle this out together…”

She saw the running presidents and bowed to greet. She then asked. “What happened in here? Why is my junior being interrogated?”

The presidents went quiet. They may be superior to the eyes on most students but Han Seo was way on top of their league. Han Seo waited for them to answer but at the back of her mind, she was impatient.

“Jang So Jin’s been disqualified because of the actions she had done which are far from her platform during the campaigns.” The running president from So Jin’s party spoke.

Han Seo saw the footage that supported their allegations. She would’ve thought So Jin making threats to compete with her was the only thing. But there were many allegations from having a conflict with her party to her being hypocritical on her statement about the LGBT community within the school premise.

“You could’ve settled this privately than just leak this. You of all people know better.” Han Seo batted, making the running presidents lower their heads.

She faced the students who witnessed and bowed. “I apologize for the intrusion and of the problem itself. We’ll have a private discussion first and we’ll give the word when it’s over. Would that be okay?”

The students nodded and got out of the scenario. She closed the doors and windows and got back to the matter.

“So Jin.” She called. “Be honest with everyone here, especially to me. Were those true?”

So Jin cried. She could never lie to her senior. She wouldn’t want to lie to her to begin with. “Yes.”

She faced the running presidents and huffed, pointing at the video. “Who leaked this?”

They didn’t say a word. Han Seo got frustrated. “Wouldn’t it be simple to just tell the truth?”

“Our party did, Han Seo.” One of them finally confessed. “After you left our last meeting, we commenced the plan.”

“Well, you failed of that plan plus your timing was wrong.” Han Seo batted. “It would’ve been settled with proper processes but you act recklessly. With such action, the consequence would be that all votes for us will be canceled.”

“But this?” The president from the other party asked of the video of her and So Jin.

“Well, that’s just a petty accusation. I’m her senior and she’s my junior. As a senior, I care for my junior.” Han Se defended. “I care for her and will always care for her.”

“Sunbaenim…” So Jin sniffled.

“You have no right to do this. So Jin may have been proven guilty but you don’t just stop and interrogate her!”

The board arrived and scolded the students of what they witnessed. They knew the situation and will do a proper action to settle the matter. The running presidents were told to come with them. Han Seo and So Jin were left.

“I’m sorry for this.” Han Seo spoke.

So Jin shook her head and hugged Han Seo tight. Han Seo comforted her as she listens to her junior’s cries and felt her tight hug.

+++

As Han Seo said about of the consequences, both of the parties’ earned votes will be canceled and the lineup for the third party won by unanimous decision.

Han Seo and So Jin heard the news and both were devastated.

“I’m sorry for the incident. You would’ve won, So Jin.” Han Seo said.

So Jin shook her head. “YOU were supposed to win, sunbaenim. But you were affected because of the incident.”

“Really? Well, what a of luck.” Han Seo chuckled and pats So Jin’s shoulder. “It doesn’t matter to me. I had my fun.”

So Jin was eased of her worries. She sighed and leaned her head on Han Seo’s shoulder.

“So we can spend the rest of the days together again, right?” So Jin asked.

Han Seo nodded. So Jin was having her moment when someone called her.

“Who’s calling me?!” She spoke like Ahn Cheol Soo.

Mi Rae, Jeong Mi, Han Kyul, and their juniors were shocked. Han Seo could only laugh at them.

“Yah! You were like Han Seo when she portrayed Ahn Cheol Soo for a political satire!” Jeong Mi added.

“Why are you here?!” Han Seo did the part and they all laughed.

“You called!” So Jin imitated again.

“You called!” The both said and everyone broke to a laughing fleet.

“Damn…finally we’re seeing your happy faces~” Han Kyul clapped. “You two should join us for dinner!”

“Okay~” Han Seo nodded.

“Nah.” So Jin said, making everyone silent. “I don’t like eating out much. It’s a waste of money.”

“Aigoo, Han Seo said that to me all the time.” Han Kyul pointed out.

“It’s true. But you won’t spend money, So Jin.” Han Seo gets her credit card out. “Dinner’s on me.”

Everyone applauded. In the end, So Jin agreed to join them.

+++

The friends ate at a local restaurant and had fun eating delicious food, talking about their lives at school, and drinking until they were all wobbly, almost disoriented.

Han Seo got her car to send themselves to the restaurant and even volunteered to send herself and her friends back to their respective homes and dorms at uni. Han Seo got her car parked and went to the back to help So Jin up.

“So Jin, where’s…your room number?” Han Seo asked, hoisting her up.

So Jin made a peace sign and Han Seo carried her to Room 2.

“Password.” Han Seo said.

“The date when we met, Han Seo-ya…” So Jin mumbled.

Han Seo was shocked but she typed the code and the door was unlocked. She helped So Jin towards her bed, taking her shoes off and tucking her to bed.

“Don’t get drunk again…” Han Seo said.

So Jin suddenly sat up and grabbed Han Seo’s arm. “Don’t go…”

“I have to. You need some sleep.” Han Seo reasoned as she lets go.

“Let me hug you longer…” So Jin said as she pulled Han Seo close. “…the month is almost over and I still want to be with you…”

Han Seo got a reality check and sat on the bed as So Jin got closer and hugged her from the back, her head nuzzled onto Han Seo’s own.

It may be a relief that the promo will be over but it was a worry because she’ll lose another part of her life.

For Han Seo, this was the worst…

===