Her Strength

Telecom Juniors

===

Just as Han Seo perceived, the incident was unknown to majority of the people in the university except for her roommates. Han Seo lived her life in the university normally again.

Then again, with her life back to normal, so did her loneliness. Ro Na didn’t hang out with her anymore. Na Young was out of the program and a timid junior named Go Min Yeon, replaced her in finance. Han Seo made friends with her but only on official matters, nothing personal.

To suffice the lonely heart, Han Seo distracts herself in reading, studying, playing computer games, making websites, and chilling inside her favorite convenience store to down her favorite drink. For now, she was emotionally weak. She was also reminded that the promo was still on and that she carried the box every day.

Han Seo was on her usual spot, eyeing Na Young’s card, reminiscing all those times with Na Young, even that one-night stand. With the last thought, Han Seo hastily placed the card beside Mi Na’s and she cringed.

“…” Han Seo hissed. “It was ripe but it was far too ripe!”

Han Seo grabbed another card, a cute blue one. “Kim Se Jeong…Strength-giving Junior…” She huffs. “Must be a relative again and she could be the daughter of my Imonie Se Jeong…”

Han Seo puts it back. However, she was having second thoughts. She wondered if she could use some strength. She has been weak these days.
As she made up her mind, she got the card and did the usual instructions. She puts her phone back and looked at the card again.

“Yeah…I need some strength right now…” Han Seo panted.

She puts the card in her pocket, got her bag, and went back to the university, getting another dose of boring classes.

+++

Another day passed and it was almost lunchtime. Han Seo finished her class on Computer Networks and she was on her desk, fixing her stuff. All students, even juniors, bid goodbye to the woman timidly as the last two students whispered to each other.

“Isn’t Han Seo so pretty?” One of them whispered.

“Yeah…” A ginger-headed girl whispered back. “Say…should we make friends with her?”

“Nah…she’s at the top of her league.” The first woman whispered again.

“Hey, I got it.” The ginger-head nudged her. “Should we ask her to buy us some food?”

“You can’t! Han Seo-sunbaenim might kick our asses.” The first woman shook lightly.

“Please!” The ginger-head smirked. “I bet she’s just a pushover and a er.”

The first woman didn’t want to but then she went with the flow as her friend pulled her and they went towards Han Seo, who was ready to leave.

“Sunbae! Please buy us some food!” The ginger-head said.

“Yeah! Buy us some food, sunbae~” The first woman made face as she joined in.

Han Seo knew these juniors and they were the ones who behind her back. She would want to treat them despite of it. She had money after all. Han Seo was about to say something when a slam was heard. The three turned around and saw a woman with bangs and short hair, wearing a yellow cardigan, a white shirt, denim shorts, and white shoes. She also had a purple backpack.

“Yah!” She said in a strong voice. “Ah~ jeez~”

She went towards the two juniors and pushed one off, almost sending her to the ground. “Hey! You’re saying my sunbae’s a pushover?” She pushed the ginger-head this time. “A er?” She yelled. “Use your own money to buy your own food and get lost!”

The two grew scared and ran off. Han Seo gasped of the woman’s strength. With that, she was grateful. With the card from a while ago, she knew her.

“Thanks, Se Jeong.” Han Seo said. “How did you know they were just forcing me?”

“Yah, sunbae! You’re a fool!” Se Jeong pushed her hard, making Han Seo flustered.

“When that happens…” Se Jeong grabbed the back of her collar and pulled her. “…you should hit them, here…” Se Jeong almost lands a fist. “…in the jaw, or right in the solar plexus!"

Se Jeong still had a grip on her and showed punches. Han Seo thought that their first meeting was quite a scary one.

She was reminded that the card said ‘Strength-giving Junior’. As far as Han Seo saw, Se Jeong must be a junior she can trust, someone she can confidently rely on. Now that she saw her next junior, she wonders of another month with her.

+++

So far, Han Seo felt at ease. Se Jeong was not only a strong woman, she was responsible and quite a fighter. Se Jeong had an affectionate approach towards Han Seo and would threaten anyone who would do something bad to her senior. Han Seo saw that for the past week and she liked it.

One day, Han Seo found out that their university had new vending machines with her favorite energy drink in a can. Excited for that little announcement, Han Seo went towards a new vending machine and saw her favorite, all for a 500 won coin. She grew excited and got her coin when it fell at the bottom of another vending machine.

Han Seo cussed and went to reach it under the machine but her hand didn’t fit. “Aish…it’s gone down there…”

She tried to reach it again when she saw that the machine was raised. She instantly looked and there was Se Jeong, giving her senior an adorable smile. Han Seo gasped. Se Jeong can lift a heavy vending machine!

“Woah!” Han Seo flipped out lightly.

“Hello, sunbaenim. Pick it up, quickly!” Se Jeong said. “Come on, sunbae! Pick it up! Include mine, too!”

Han Seo nodded and picked every coin underneath. As she got up, Se Jeong puts the machine back down. Han Seo was still shocked but she wowed of Se Jeong’s strength. She then counts the coins. “Oh! I found 1600 won down there.”

Se Jeong cheered and raised her hand. “High five!”
Han Seo hi-fived back and winced lightly. Se Jeong’s high-five stung a bit. They got to order their drinks and Han Seo was happy to have hers. She tries to open it but to no avail.

“Ah, my fingernails aren’t long enough…” Han Seo mumbled as she tried again.

“Babo…let me do it.” Se Jeong slapped Han Seo’s arm lightly, which felt like a sting from a hot iron.

Han Seo hid that pain and Se Jeong got her can. Now, the event Han Seo was seeing made her gasp again. Se Jeong opened the can using her right eye!

“Okaay~!! There we go…” Se Jeong chanted loudly as she gracefully rubbed her lower eyelid, giving her senior her opened drink. “Sunbae~ here you go. Drink up!”

Han Seo was still shocked. It’s like she’s seeing a Korean descendant of Mr. Incredible. “No way…with your eyes…”

Se Jeong winked, adding a little scratch by her nose. Nonetheless, she thanked Se Jeong again and drank.

“Let’s go to our next class, sunbae~” Se Jeong said.
Han Seo nodded and went with her. Se Jeong held onto her arm and Han Seo almost spits due to her strength.

Nonetheless, Se Jeong changed her. It made her firm. For her, Se Jeong was both her mental and physical strength.

+++

Han Seo and Se Jeong were studying in a vacant room. While Se Jeong wrote notes, she also watched TV. She watched a reality show in which the guests played a game of strength with their thighs (lol! What do you call that game? XD).

Se Jeong watched it and thought that it was fun. “Oh, that looks fun!” Se Jeong faces Han Seo. “Sunbae, you want to try it?”

“You won’t beat me.” Han Seo chuckled.

Han Seo played that game before and nobody beated her, not even the senior athlete in the university. Se Jeong wondered and was optimistic. “I think I will. Shall we try it?”

Han Seo chuckled and nodded. She and Se Jeong got into position, with Se Jeong’s thighs in between Han Seo’s.

“Let’s go, let’s go!” Se Jeong cheered.

“Okay.” Han Seo shrugs.

Se Jeong counted and tried but Han Seo’s legs were strong. They tried again and Han Seo managed to resist. But deep down, she thought she was going to die in pain. She and Se Jeong did it for the third time and Han Seo lost. The movement was too agile that Han Seo felt that her legs were stuck. Not only that, she felt that her underwear was torn inside.

Han Seo huffed and lets out a scream. Se Jeong covered of her senior’s reaction. Han Seo was frozen. She tries to move her legs but her thighs hurt like hell. Han Seo wasn’t stop as she moves her legs back slowly. With every move, Han Seo groaned.

“A…Are you okay…?” Se Jeong asked.

Han Seo got her legs back into position but she was still in pain. Se Jeong held onto her thighs but Han Seo shook her head while screaming.

“I’ll get the nurse-“

“It’s fine, Se Jeong-ah…” Han Seo huffed. “I’ll be fine. We…we should g-go back to studying…

“But-“

“It’s okay. It’s okay…” Han Seo.

“Sunbae, I’m so sorry…” Se Jeong hastily apologized.
“It’s fine. Don’t worry about it. The pain will be gone in a few hours.” Han Seo assured her.

Se Jeong nodded and went back to study. Han Seo goes back to her notes but the pain was still there. She gets her phone and texted Han Kyul.

Yo, cuz. Help me. I can’t walk. My thighs hurt like hell.

+++

Han Seo’s thigh injury subsided but not completely. She would walk with crutches to ease the pain. The class grew worried and asked of what happened. She told her roommates but she could never tell anyone because Se Jeong was sitting next to her and she didn’t want her junior to feel guiltier of her unintentional mistake.

With the incident, Se Jeong became more careful. She helped Han Seo walk anywhere. They did the usual things together, even Se Jeong apologized a couple of times. Han Seo said it was fine but Se Jeong made sure to always be there for her senior after her thighs heal.

That day came after a week. Han Seo was walking properly now and Se Jeong was happy for it. Nonetheless, she was still careful and always spent time with Han Seo every day. Han Seo also saw another side of Se Jeong: she was kind and generous.

“Ma?” Han Seo was talking to Min Seo on the phone.

How’s school, dear? I heard you got yourself in a thigh injury. What happened?

“It’s a long story, ma.” Han Seo answered. “So…are you delivering me some rice because I have no rice back at the dorm…and I have to feed myself and three more people?”

I will…but your Imonie Se Jeong forgot to buy some. How about next week?

“Okay.” Han Seo nods. “Take care. Send my regards to my aunts.”

Okay. I love you.

“I love you too Ma.” Han Seo responded and hung up.

As Han Seo puts her phone down, a hand was holding hers. She looked up and Se Jeong gave her a concerned look. “You have no rice, sunbae?”

“You heard?” Han Seo asked and Se Jeong nodded. “Yeah…I have viands but no rice. I wonder what to feed to my roommates for the next three days.”

“I have some in my dorm, sunbae. I’ll give some to you.” Se Jeong gleamed.

“Ah…it’s fine, Se Jeong. You don’t have to-“

“I insist, sunbae. Please?” Se Jeong pouted.

Han Seo couldn’t help but admit that Se Jeong wanted to help. How could she say no to that?

“Okay.” Han Seo nodded. “Thank you.”

“Let’s get it after class.” Se Jeong suggested and Han Seo just nodded.

+++

Se Jeong and Han Seo got to Se Jeong’s room. Han Seo wowed. She was living alone. She even saw how clean it was. She followed Se Jeong to the kitchen and Se Jeong got her a half a kilo of rice in a bowl. Then, they went back to Han Seo’s room.

“I would be giving you more food, sunbae. I’ll give you some rice, seeing there’s nothing else.” Se Jeong said. “Do you have a rice cooker?”

“My rice cooker’s broken. Just leave it at the counter. I can cook it old school.” Han Seo said.

“Broken? I can do it myself. Don’t worry, sunbae. Hold on a second.” Se Jeong said.

Han Seo wondered as Se Jeong got a handful of rice. She pressed the rice between her hands, closing it into a ball and applied pressure. Han Seo gasped again as Se Jeong grunted like a commander in the military. She even saw her hands turning red.

“What in the-you’re making rice with the pressure of your hands!” Han Seo gasped.

After a minute, Se Jeong huffed and steam came out from the crevices of her fingers. Se Jeong huffs one last time and smiled.

“T-The rice cooked?!” Han Seo asked, still shocked.

“Cooking complete~” Se Jeong chanted and showed the cooked rice in her hand. “You want to eat it, sunbae? You could eat it with canned tuna~”

“Uhh…but it looks so hot…” Han Seo mumbled.

“Hot? Wait just a moment.” Se Jeong said again.

Se Jeong blew onto the cooked rice and Han Seo felt like the wind was as strong as wind from a jet engine. Han Seo could only freeze and feel the strong breeze slap her face as Se Jeong continued to blow.

“Ah…!!” Han Seo reacted, feeling blown.

Se Jeong finished blowing. “Here you go, sunbae. Enjoy~”

Han Seo didn’t say anything and got a plate to put the rice. She also got a can of tuna and got another plate. “Eat with me, Se Jeong.”

“Okay~ Let me cook my serving of rice this time~”

Han Seo knew she would be dealing with Ms. Incredible and went through the same thing for the second time. As Se Jeong was finished, she joined Han Seo in eating lunch.

+++

Han Seo was with Han Kyul in the mall. Their mothers came to visit and they spent time with their children by shopping and having a decent meal. While eating, Han Seo noticed her Imonie Kyul Kyung getting all flirty with her mom. She thought about Han Kyul and wondered if she was a flirt too.

“Ma, can I ask you something?” Han Seo asked.

“What is it?” Min Seo responded.

“I’ve got a junior named Kim Se Jeong. Is she Imonie Se Jeong’s daughter? Do I have another distant cousin aside from Mi Na?”

“I didn’t hear of Se Jeong having a daughter.” Kyul Kyung responded. “Did you, unnie?”

“I did.” Min Seo nodded. “Yes, she’s your distant cousin, Han Seo…you lost cousin, actually…”

“What do you mean lost?” Han Kyul asked.

“Your Imonie Se Jeong didn’t tell her other sisters…but she told me. And now, you three will know.” Min Seo began. “Kyul Kyung, don’t ever tell your other sisters. Don’t let Se Jeong know.”

“Ne, unnie.” Kyul Kyung nodded.

“Han Seo, your aunt lost her daughter when your four.” Min Seo added as Han Seo gasped. “Your Imonie Se Jeong married someone without telling all of us, not knowing that the man was as aggressive as her father before. She left him because of his incompetence, including their daughter. I never thought I’d know but your Imonie Se Jeong trusted me.” Min Seo said, showing the picture.

Han Seo was shocked like her cousin and her aunt. Han Seo got the picture and said: “Se Jeong should know.”

“You can let her know but not now.” Min Seo said. “With the revelation, promise me you’ll take care of her. Your Imonie Se Jeong needs to see her.”

“Okay…” Han Seo nodded. “Ma…my junior’s so strong. Is Imonie Se Jeong strong too?”

“Oh, she is, my dear Han Seo.” Kyul Kyung nodded. “She can even lift your Imonie Yeon Jung and your Imonie So Hye at the same time.”

“Oh, yeah…” Min Seo laughed. “She can even lift me. She’s like the Korean descendant of Mr. Incredible.”
Han Kyul laughed with the grown-ups and Han Seo just smiled. Her hunch was right after all.

For now, she will do what her mother says and let her know the truth of her lost mother.

+++

Han Seo and Se Jeong watched television in the lobby as they studied again. Han Seo couldn’t get over of what her mother told her. With that in mind, she should let her junior know the truth.

“Se Jeong?” She called.

“Yes, sunbae~” Se Jeong crumpled used paper with a flick of her finger.

“Is this you?” Han Seo asked, showing a picture.
Se Jeong froze. Han Seo knew that gesture and patted her junior’s shoulder. “Mind telling me about it?”

“Ah…that’s a picture I gave to my mom.” Se Jeong said with ease.

Han Seo could only smile. Who knew her junior had a strong heart?

“My mom left me when I was two. I never saw her since then.” Se Jeong said then faced Han Seo. “Sunbae…how did you get that picture?”

“Did you know that I knew your mother?” Han Seo asked.

“You do?” Se Jeong held her sunbae’s shoulders. “Where is she? Can I see her?”

“Han Seo.” They heard a call.

Han Seo and Se Jeong turned around and saw Min Seo with a woman. Se Jeong gasped.

“Eomma?”

Big Se Jeong nodded. Little Se Jeong cried for the first time and went to hug her mother. Han Seo and Min Seo adored of the sight. Han Seo’s junior went back to her and tackled her to a bone-crushing hug…literally…

“S-Sunbae…how did you…”

Han Seo couldn’t say anything. She even felt a rib just broke. “It’s a long story, Se Jeong. How about we have some talk so that you and Imonie Se Jeong can catch up?”

Her junior can only nod and hug her senior tight, her head nuzzled on her shoulder. Han Seo took time to comfort her before they joined their parents out for lunch.

+++

They had the whole talk and the Choi duo watched the two descendants of Mr. Incredible have quality time. Han Seo and Min Seo sat at another bench, adoring the sight.

“Is this the thing of being a part of a promo, Ma? Changing lives of people in obscurity?” Han Seo asked.

“Yep. SK Telecom has improved in their promos.” Min Seo joked and they laughed. “You know, my dear. I’m proud of you. Continue doing the promo for the sake of the juniors.”

Han Seo nodded. The two Se Jeongs went to them, thanking them for a reunion. But like some reunions, there would be goodbyes but promises of return are left for keeping.

Big Se Jeong kissed her niece’s forehead and her daughter’s, even adding a kiss on Min Seo’s cheek. Min Seo pats the girls’ heads as they left back to their home. Little Se Jeong and Han Seo watched their parents leave in a car as they went back to the university.

“I remember our cousin, Mi Na.” Han Seo grinned.

“The aegyo girl? Aigoo…she must’ve been annoying…but cute.” Se Jeong commented.

Han Seo could only laugh and stop by Se Jeong’s room. Se Jeong leaned by the door and grinned. “I’m forever grateful to you, senior.”

“No problem…” Han Seo answered.

Se Jeong inched closer and pecked Han Seo’s cheek, leaving the woman’s eyes dilated.

“See you tomorrow, sunbae.” Se Jeong grinned again.

“See you.” Han Seo responded as Se Jeong went inside her room, the door closing behind her.

Han Seo huffed and felt her cheek hurt. Then again, she chuckled and walked back to the room.

The next time she and Se Jeong have some time, she might have to bring a first-aid kit in case of injuries.

===