Five - Surprise

Flawed

For the remaining hours, I slept.

I did nothing but lied down on my bed and slept through everything. It's not that I'm not afraid for my life. In fact, I am beyond scared, but I know there is nothing I could do to stop it from happening. Instead of pacing around and risk wetting my own pants, I would rather have my beauty sleep. At least I could be away from the trouble and pain, even if it was only temporary.

"There must be something which you can do for her! Please!" Felix half begged and half shouted.

Before getting out of my bed, I stretched my arms and yawned a little.

"For someone who is about to die, you sure look calm." Junius was casually leaning onto one of the pillars with his arms crossed.

Ignoring his remarks, I asked, "Who is my brother talking to?"

"Finn," He replied with his eyes still on me. The stares were so intense that it made me feel uncomfortable.

"What do you want?" I inquired, trying to make myself feel less intimidated.

"I want to speak to you, " He said in a demanding tone.

" off" I gritted.

I am beyond agitated by the he puts me through. How dare he, demanding to speak to me. That is the last thing I would need right now. All I want was to curl up on my bed and hope that everything was only a dream.

But no, this is the reality and it .

Sensing that his presence was still here, I stood up immediately and pushed him out of my room with the remaining strength I had left. To my displease, Junius stood there like a rock, and he seemed unfazed by my actions. So, I did the next thing that popped up in my mind.

I kicked him.

Hard.

In his groin.

And that, made him leapt in pain. I was never the sadistic type who would seek pleasure in someone else's misery but this? I felt good. Real good. At least he finally showed some emotions. 

"What the hell is wrong with you? I only wanted a talk before you get send to your grave!" He raised his voice and narrowed his eyes.

"Right. I landed into this trouble solely because of your stupidity and childishness. Now you expect me to have a civilised conversation with you? Wow man, I am excited about this talk." I replied, dripping with full sarcasm.

"Do you have to be a about it? I am trying to help" He clenched his fists and retorted with anger laced in his voice.

"To get me an express ticket to hell?"

He let out a low growl and grabbed both my shoulders, pulling me close to his chest. After making sure I would not do anything rash, he closed up the remaining gap with his lips grazing my earlobe.

"Well, I changed my mind. I wish you would suffer a horrible death that even your brother cannot recognise your stinking corpse" He whispered into my ears with his hot breath tickling my skin. Then, he let me go while I froze at the spot.

"May you never rest in peace, ugly doll." He roared and slammed the door which caused my room to shake a little. If I did not know better, I would think it is an earthquake.

After he had left, I took a deep breath without realising that I have been holding my breath the entire time. If I said whatever Junius told me a while ago did not affect me at all, I would be lying. In fact, his words drove into my thick skull. I am more influenced by the fact that he said I would not get out alive. I am used to such insults, but one thing I would not tolerate were people who always doubted my abilities.

When they do that, I have the tendency to prove them wrong.

For that reason alone, I can and will survive whatever lies beneath the Gates of Hollow.

*******************************************

"Do you have a plan, Flovia?" Felix raised his eyebrows while we stood at the entrance of the scary gate.

"No."

I was never the type who would have a strategic plan nor will I look ahead. All my life, I always live in the moment.

"What?! And you slept like a baby just now?! I thought you had a magnificent plan! " Alexis shrieked in horror.

"Flovia, you should not take this lightly." Felix reprimanded. For one moment, I swear I could see smoke erupting from his nostrils. On the other hand, Dukas came to my rescue by chuckling lightly to himself which earned a murderous glare from my brother.

"This is not funny!" He scrunched his eyebrows further and threw a stern look at the both of us.

Dukas raised his hands up in surrender, "I am sorry."

He stifled a laugh and tried his best to maintain a poker face.

"Remember th-"

"Alright. She needs to go." Mr Styles cleared his throat and literally dragged me away. Before I stepped into the city where everyone feared, I turned around and took a quick glimpse.

Felix looked like he is ready to murder anyone who gets in his way while Alexis repeatedly screamed at the top of her lungs, "You better get through this or I will create my own hell and disturb your spirits!!!!" Her screams were soon muffled by Dukas' sealing spell and he mouthed towards me 'Go. Be safe. I would await your return with your favourite food.'

"Now off you go." Mr Styles pushed me into the gates of hollows and shut the doors behind me, quicker than I could even blink my eyes.

Clinging onto the scrap of inner courage within me, I yanked my heavy legs forward. As I continued my journey, I saw nothing but smoke. There were no infrastructures, no birds chirping and no leafs scattered around. Heck, there wasn't even any signs that someone had lived or bypass here before. All I could hear was my footsteps touching the concrete ground. Other than that, I heard nothing. Not even the sound of a gushing wind.

It was awfully quiet. Too quiet.

Unable to tolerate the silence anymore, I called out "Hello? Anyone here?"

It was a bad idea, but at least I would know if there were any living species remain here. Like a stupid fool I am, I stood there and waited. Hoping someone or something might miraculously reply me.

'Flovia'

Am I hallucinating? Did I just hear my name?

'Flovia'

Okay. Someone is definitely here.

'Come here, Flovia'

"Yes? Where are you?" I squeaked in horror. There is something about the way he called out my name. I could feel him whispering right next to my ears.

'Please, Flovia. I am right here.'

Another voice spoke out. It sounded like a small child.

'Help me, Flovia'

And this time, a lady screamed. Soon, more and more voices could be heard whispering into my ears. I could actually sense their presence which caused a shiver down my spine.

No! Snap out of it, Flovia.

They are not real. They are not real. They are not real.

Biting on my nails, I continued to walk aimlessly and ignored their pleas. No matter where I go, I cannot find a way out. Their voice followed me around like superglue.

'Flovia, save us.'

'Help us.'

'Do not turn away from us.'

'Flovia'

'FLOVIA'

'FLOVIAAAAAAA'

"STOP! ALL OF YOU ARE NOT REAL. THESE ARE ALL ILLUSIONS." I covered my ears with both of my palms and yelled towards the dark smoke.

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" I shouted again.

And they did. They left me alone.

With that, I wet my lips and glance around the surroundings. My gaze landed onto a white light shining and I quickly regained my composure. I tried my best to limp and run towards the light. I did not think nor give any second thoughts. All I wanted was to get away from the darkness.

Once I am nearing the pool of light, I could feel myself being absorbed in by a strong force. I gasped in response, but it pulled me in more.The only thing surrounded me was the black smoke and the next thing I knew, I could feel myself falling. Realising that I cannot save myself from the fall, I closed my eyes and waited for the impact.

Thump.

Damn. It hurts. Instinctively, I touched my body to check for any new physical injuries, but there was none. Apart from the old injuries and the pain I felt, there was nothing visible on my skin to show any significant hurt.

I frowned. How can this be?

Before I can contemplate what actually happened, I was ambushed by another problem. Right now, I am trapped and encircled by a bunch of creatures.

Ancient & powerful creatures.

Dragon, Cyclop, Hydras & Serpent.

As if on cue, my eyes widened as big as saucers. All these creatures which I saw in the History book.... I did not expect I would get to see them come alive. Are they even real? Or was it my own imagination?

"We are real" The dragon responded.

I dropped my jaws in shock. I thought they only know how to make animalistic sounds. Since when they can speak human language.

"Are you belittling us?" The cyclope hissed and I raised my hands up in surrender.

I cleared my throat, "No No. Of course not. I am just surprised that you are not dead yet."

After realising what I just said, I quickly covered my mouth.

"So you wish for our death?" The serpent said with his tail pointing towards me.

"Uhm what I meant was, I am jubilant to see all of you; cute as a pie creatures." I rephrased.

All of them scowled at me and I backed away instantly. My back collided with something which I assumed to be a wall. I turned around and to my horror, it was another ancient creature. 

"Nice to meet all of you here?" I laughed awkwardly with sweats formed around my forehead.

Everyone was silence for a minute or so while I tried to keep a minimum distance. What are they going to do with me? Serve me on a silver platter as their supper for the night? But the history book mentioned nothing about them feeding on human flesh.

That could be a good sign, right?

"We mean no harm" The dragon finally spoke.

"Believe it or not, we are trapped here in the dungeon just like you." He continued.

For that, I sighed in a huge relief.

"Great! I mean not actually that great but we can be allies?" I offered and clapped my hands in delight.

As long we are on the same side, nothing can go wrong.

"We no need a weakling like you to help us!" The cyclope bellowed.

"Ancient creatures like us cannot even get out of here. What makes you think you have the chance?" The serpent spat.

"You never know. I should give it a shot before giving up." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Many like you came by and they never made it out alive." The dragon sighed.

"We have been here for a century." The Hydra said, sounding sad and vulnerable.

What? I thought they are only here for a few weeks. In the history book, it was indicated that after the great war, these ancient creatures went their separate ways.

"It does not make sense." I pointed towards our surroundings "This looked exactly like a regular dungeon. You can utilise your ancient magic and just break yourselves out?" I furrowed my eyebrows and questioned.

"It is not a normal dungeon. A powerful spell is placed around the dungeon. Only a mongling can break the spell. Besides that, there are layers of protection outside the dungeon. Even powerful creatures like us cannot escape. Been there, done that." The dragon explained.

Mongling? What the hell is that? Is it another form of creature?

Our conversation was cut off when one of the guards decided to grab a cyclope away. He protested and sneered. Feeling restless, the guard took out a sword and slashed his arm. The latter whimpered in return.

I stared at the situation, waiting for the arm to return to him and grow back magically. After all, it was also stated in the history book that no mortal weapons could kill such ancient creatures. Meanwhile, the cyclope was dragged away with his blood vandalising the floor. As I waited for almost 30 minutes, the arm was still abandoned on the ground. No signs of it crawling back to the owner.

"Stop staring, weakling. The arms would not grow back anymore." The serpent tapped on my shoulder.

Before I can retaliate, the dungeon was open once again. This time, a dragon with long lashes was thrown back in.

"Questa!" The dragon who has been kind to me cried out loud.

"Barloc" She responded weakly.

Something was different.

I continued to analyse her body and I took in a sharp breath.

Her wings were gone.

Barloc noticed it too as he let out a dragon roar. It was so loud that I stumbled backwards and fell on my .

"He has gone too far. I am going to shred that bastard into pieces!" Barloc prepared to pounce on the guards while the other creatures held him back.

Looking amused, one of the guards smirked "Oh really? What are you waiting for then?"

In the most inappropriate time, I let out a small chuckle. It is funny how the dragons are enormous and strong yet the guards are taunting them instead.

"You want to join the dragon, little girl?" The guards raised an eyebrow at me.

"Oh yeah? What are you going to cut? My invisible wings?" I responded without thinking.

"What did you just said?" The guard grabbed my collars and yanked me towards the wall.

I don't know what came over me. Perhaps the fact that I had enough of the dramas or the frustration that I held in for so long. Or it could even be me, feeling sorry for the creatures that I wanted to stand up for them.

Maybe it's a little of everything.

"If I have wings, I will flap it in your ing face and shove the feathers down your throat" I replied with my witty tongue.

"Excuse me?"

"You are excused." I scowled at him.

"Do you have a death wish, you little brat?" He took out his dagger and pointed it towards my right cheeks.

Usually, I will cower back in fear and run to Felix for help.

This time, I know I have no one to rely on but myself.

"Go to hell!" I spit at his face which caught him off guard. Sensing I have the upper hand now, I quickly kicked his stomach despite the pain lingering around my ankle. Then, I snatched the dagger away from him by using my elbow to kick his stomach.

The guard yelped in pain while the remaining guards surrounded us in a flashlight. They were prepared to seize me. I cackled my fingers, getting ready for a fight. When I am about to throw my first punch, I heard a deep voice bellowed in an authoritative tone "Stop."

Almost immediately, the guards dropped their weapons.

"An intruder tried to kill the king at the lobby. Leave & help him now." He commanded whereas all the guards bowed submissively and left the cell with no question.

The men stepped forward, still behind the bars but it enabled me to see his face clearly. Instantly, I opened my mouth and shouted in recognition "It's you!!"

"Hello to you too, my friend." He wiggled his eyebrows and smirked.

The hostility was no longer there. Instead, it was replaced by a teasing voice.

"Why... How... What....?" I'm loss for words.

"Yes. Keep your mouth shut so I can get your sorry out of this place in peace."

I zipped my mouth and pretended to throw the keys away.

It's not every day you get a saviour to save the day. Of course, I would oblige to whatever commands he have.

"Now. Focus & pull the poles out with your bare hands" He explained like it was as simple as ABC.

"What? I do not have the strength! How can it be that easy! It has magic that can even trap the ancient creatures here!"

"Do you want to get out or not?" He grew irritated and yelled.

"Duh! But I cannot get out just by pulling the poles with my bare hands? They are that fragile!" I held both of my hands out to prove my point "Since you are already here, you can get all of us out!"

"That is not within my power. I do not have the magic to do that. Besides, it needs to look like you escaped by yourself so that no one will suspect me!"

"Oh and, they are not getting out. I am only here for you and you alone." He continued.

The creatures all hiss at him, sounding mad. Can you really blame them? They are stuck here for a century. I will definitely go ballistic if I have an opportunity to get out of here after so many years.

"They are coming with me" I said with a firm voice.

"Are you kidding me? No!"

So, I stood there in defiant while he clenched his jaws and sighed in defeat.

"Alright alright! Just pull the poles first! Hurry! Someone is coming" He panicked.

Without waiting any longer, I grasped the poles in both of my palms and pulled.

"Focus Flovia. Focus!" He whispered.

"I can't! It's not working!" I continued to yank the poles out violently.

"No, you do not understand. I am not a mongling. I cannot do this!" I screamed, at the verge of tears.

"You are more than that."

"Now concentrate or we will all die here." He growled "Focus!"

I closed my eyes and held the poles tightly.

Believe in yourself, Flovia.

*Kiang Kiang Kiang*

The poles were dented, and there was a large hole enough for me to get out but not the creatures. I tried to create more space, but instead, I am harshly tugged forward.

"There is not enough time. We need to leave them" He spoke calmly.

"But...." I trailed. The creatures bang towards the poles to catch our attention.

"I am not going to abandon them"

"Right now" He gestured towards us"We need to get out of here before both of us get thrown into the cells."

I can't leave them here! Not after what I witnessed.

"Save yourself first. We can worry about them later" He growled again and forcefully dragged me towards a portal.

Ignoring his warning, I limp my way back and pulled the poles apart with determination. All the creatures scattered out like no tomorrow and went straight to the portal without saying anything.

The hole was now large enough for all to escape. Except for the dragons. They are too huge. Being stubborn, I stayed and tried to dismantle the poles.

"Alert the King! They are escaping!" One of the guards barge right in and shouted at the top of his lungs.

"We need to leave. Now!" The guy who came to saved me grew restless and threw me over his shoulders.

"I need to get him out first!" I protested and repeatedly hit his back. "Let me go!"

"Quiet! Do you value your life? Do you still want to see your brother?" I nodded slowly.

"Sorry to break it to you but even if you stay here, you will only get tortured and become cellmates with them. Things would only get worse. This is for the best. So, let's go. "

Although I only met Barloc for less than a day, I feel that I have a connection with him. On the other hand, the guy who saved me is right. Even if I stayed, things would not get better. 

"Flovia?" I heard Barloc calling me. His voice sounded hurt and betrayed.

I maintained my eye contact with him. His eyes were begging me to bring them along, and I could hear my heart break into little pieces.

'I will come back for you. All of you. I promise' I mouthed, trying to comfort myself rather than him. With that, I went into the portal willingly. I abandoned him while trying to save myself.

I know this is a selfish act.

I simply do not want to die there or get tortured.

I'm sorry, Barloc.