The Promise

Love & Live

A/N: Just keep strolling down if you see long spaces. 

 

It was Friday evening. And we all know what happens during Friday. For most of us it’s the perfect time to relax and free ourselves from all the stress we’ve been having in either our work or studies. For some of us, it’s the perfect night to have dinner with our loved ones. And for some of us, it’s the best time for having our “me-time-only”. And the third option is literally what Amber is doing. She’s having her own me-time-only.

 

While her friends and members have either schedules or parties to attend to, Amber chose to spend the night away all by herself —well not exactly, after all she has a Jack Jack the dog and Tuna the Russian Blue to accompany her. Well, there was nothing special happening to her really. She was just trying to busy herself with her phone, scrolling down pictures after pictures.

 

Remind me again why I chose to stay alone on this night? I hate being alone. The thought she kept on having in replay. She didn’t understand herself lately. There was this unspoken uneasiness within her that she is aware of but not willing to address.

 

“I’m getting crazy. I need to do something.” And with that she means turning on the television. She moved from one channel to another, trying to settle in one channel was hard. She didn’t find anything on her television interesting.

 

“Why is it so hard to get out of boredom?”

 

Still, Amber kept repeating the process: Check this channel, and then move into another. After numerous times of repeating this process, Amber decided to stop wasting electricity and just turn the television off. After all nothing was keeping her interest at bay. But as if on cue, just as Amber was about to press the power button something pops on the television that finally catches her attention. 

 

"2, 3. Bangtan! Hello we are Bangtan Boys!" The 7 korean male idols said in unison and playfully made gun hand motions. Each member took turns in introducing themseleves. A smile automatically forms in Amber's face as she watches a specific member do his greetings. 

 

"Hello! My name is Jin, I'm the oldest brother!" Amber smiles, thinking, You are the oldest brother in the group but I bet you're the one acting like a Maknae. 

 

Amber continued watching the show. She had fun, especially with the way the members bicker at each other. They were such dorks. And though the broadcast was already done, Amber decided to watch more videos in her laptop. She was smiling like a fool enjoying every video.

 

She doesn't know what has gotten over her but she was enjoying what she was doing and thus, she continued it. Amber kept herself busy looking up and watching videos of the boys. These guys are way too real. It's fun that their still the same as before. Amber thought as she continued watching their reality shows. At one moment, Amber paused the videos and admire one member. She smiled at the image in front of her.

 

"Cute..."  And with that Amber is lost in trance, stuck with the image of the lovely man in front of her and the memories from her past...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3 years ago... 

 

 

 

"I don't get it. You two sound perfectly fit for each other, and yet you are acting quite dumb pushing each other away."

 

"You know it's not easy like that!"

 

"Well, it's not that hard either."

 

Amber sighed. She knows her friend is right. She knows she and Jin are perfect for each other. It took her a long time to figure that out, but she knows well deep inside she will never find someone like him. 

 

"Amber, you have to sort things out. You guys need to talk. You can't keep having this unofficial official thing going on. You just can't!" 

 

"Ouch." Amber had to move the phone away just a little bit because of friend's outburst.

 

"Sorry... But I'm serious. We can't always have this kind of conversations." Ailee paused a bit before continuing over the line, "You can't keep stressing yourself out just because of this problem that shouldn't be a problem at all. You need to chill your mind, and to do that... you guys have to sort things out. Anyway, I got to go now. Bye llama. Love you."

 

"Thanks. Bye goldfish. Love you too."

 

"Hanging up now."

 

Amber knows the right thing to do. She just doesn't do it. Which then results into further confusion. Rolling on the bed, Amber tucked herself in the blankets feeling the warmth covering her whole being. She'll sleep for a while and think of something later. She just needs to rest her mind and wake up later with a hope to have the courage to settle things out.

 

"What the heck?" Just as she was beginning to drowse in her bed, Amber's phone started to ring. Annoyed that she has been bothered with her slumber she takes the phone from her counter. She did not bother to look at the caller and just answered it. 

 

"Hello?" She said trying to repress the yawn forming in . 

 

"It's me. Sorry, did I bother your sleep?" The caller said over the line. Amber's eyes open wide realizing who the caller is. Her annoyance for this person who bothered her had vanished instantly. 

 

"Yea, but it's alright. At least for now," she says honestly. "But what's the need for you to call this late in the evening anyway?" she asked as she hears him giggle on the other line. 

 

"Ah... yes. That... Well you see..." 

 

"Straight-forward please." The older said. 

 

"I wanted to see you." 

 

And then there was silence. Not long, but for a good few seconds. Amber was taken aback. Is he being serious? she thought. 

 

"If ever you're having thoughts, I'm actually being really serious right now. I swear." he says, breaking the silence between them and answering her thoughts. Amber blushed knowing she's been caught. 

 

"Alright then. Text me where to go and I'll be there. Alright, bye." she tells him before hanging up.

 

She didn't need to ask why. She wanted to meet with him after all. He's been busy lately, especially that they are preparing to debut abroad. She wanted him to focus with his group. Even if he is not the leader he is the oldest and he needs to be a role model to his dongsaengs, and not the other way around. 

 

Just as she was preparing herself for their late evening meeting— she wouldn't call it a date, the conversation she had with Ailee earlier suddenly flashed in her mind. 

 

 

You two sound perfectly fit for each other, and yet you are acting quite dumb pushing each other away.

 

You can't keep having this unofficial official thing going on. You just can't!

 

You guys have to sort things out.

 

"I have to do it." She can't keep running away from this. She and Jin needs to talk about it, and why waste time right? She already wasted many of those. Amber sighs, It's going to be a long, long, long night. Having a one last look in the mirror, she leaves her apartment and headed out to the place Jin had texted her. 

 

 

 

 

 

"Seriously, a movie at this hour in the evening?" Amber says, totally unexpecting the place her companion brought her. Jin had texted her to meet up somewhere, she thought that was it. But it seems that Jin had more under his sleeves. Because at this moment, she and him are standing in front of Daehan Cinema. 

 

"Why not? Is there are rule prohibiting me to bring a girl to a cinema?" Jin says, crossing his arms in front of his chest. 

 

"Well, technically there is. But I'm expecting you've planned things out. So, okay, what are we watching?" Amber says and decided she'll go with the flow at the moment. Just the way they always both do. But really, just for the moment. 

 

Turns out, Amber was right. Jin had planned everything out. Jin had a close friend in Daehan Cinema. He asked this friend to allow him to bring his friend on a specific day on a specific time. Luckily the management approved, well with a little bit of charms of course, but the bottom line is Jin booked them the whole cinema just for the two of them. It's romantic, and Amber couldn't help smile with the thought of it. She knows she's special. After all everyone is. But whenever she's with him she feels a different special. 

 

"Do you want to watch this? Hm, what about this one?" Jin asked. Jin was picking among the romantic comedy, purposely leaving out the horror movie choice right in front of him. Amber knows how much Jin hates watching horror. Based on the stories Jin's members told her, you'll enjoy seeing Jin's face better than the movie you're going to watch. With that thought on mind, Amber smiled. Forming an "evil" plan in mind. 

 

"How about I pick?" Amber suggests, trying to act normal. She wanted to play it cool.

 

"Alright. We'll watch whatever you want." Jin said, smiling at her. Completely innocent of what the girl was planning to do to him.

 

"Let me see... Ah! How about this one? Yeah, that's right. I want to watch this one."

 

"Amber!" Jin said in a tone of surprise. Amber kept her cool even though it was really hard. She was trying to repress her laughter from coming out. 

 

"What? I'm serious. I haven't watched a horror film for a really long time." Amber said as a matter of fact. Jin gulped, but he can't back out from his promise. And with a heavy heart, Jin pretended that he'll be alright and bought the tickets. They bought a large popcorn box and 1 large soda. 

 

"Seriously?" With her eyebrow raised, Amber looks at Jin as if he did a crime.

 

"What! I'm on a diet. I can't have too much soda." Jin retorted. Amber smiled, seeing how sweet Jin is acting.

 

"Cute." She said in a very quiet way not wanting Jin to hear it but Jin was able to hear it anyway. He smiled happy that Amber thinks what he is doing is cute. 

 

"Why are you smiling?" 

 

"Nothing. Let's get inside the cinema." 

 

The last sentece was the biggest mistake Jin ever said in his life. He was gripping tightly to his seat, barely even putting popcorn in his mout. And Amber, she was keeping her laughter inside. Jin's members were right, she thought. Amber is indeed enjoying watching Jin get out of the world scared with this horror movie. She didn't bother to watch the movie, she was already watching something that she feels will be a strong contender for the Oscars. Out of the blue, Jin held her hand. Jin looked at her and muttered the words I'm scared. And for the first time, Amber decided to look at the screen. She could feel her face heating up. 

 

"God, I hope I am not blushing." She says only in her mind. Amber's heart was beating rapidly. Not really sure if it was true or not, but nonetheless, that's what she's feeling. 

 

"Hey... Jin." She called out his name. He looked at her at once. Seeing his face, she smiled. So genuinely Jin's heart felt calm. 

 

"Ne?" He said, not taking his eyes off her. 

 

"Why don't we ditch this movie? I don't think I like it at all." Jin's face beam, happy he did not need to suffer anymore. He stood up immediately and offered his hands to Amber. 

 

"I never thought you'd say so, my lady." 

 

 

 

 

 

After exiting from the theater, Jin escorted Amber to the elevator where he pressed the the button with the number 8. They were both quiet. No one was speaking. No one even tried to. It wasn't awkward, it was in fact far from that. It was comforting. Jin looks at their hands not remembering who hold on first, and when did they started to do so. 

 

"Amber, I have something to show you." Jin said as the elevator opened. Amber didn't see it at first as she faced Jin, but once he said that she looked outside the elevator and was taken aback. In front her is a beautiful rose garden. Heading out first, Jin offered his hand to her. Amber was still silent admiring the place. Taking his hand, they both walked with hands holding one another. They walked around looking at the beautiful roses. How sweet, Amber thought. As the fragrance of the roses reaches her sense of smell. 

 

"I hope you liked it. It's one of the reasons I decided to bring you here. They had this beautiful rose garden." Jin said, admiring his own idea of beauty. 

 

"Thank you." Amber said, they continued to walk until Amber stopped on her tracks. Jin looked at her muttering, "Hm?" Amber looked intensely at Jin's eyes. She remembered what she was supposed to tell him. What she was supposed to asked him. She breaks their contact for a while, until Jin reaches for her chin and made her face him once more. 

 

"What's wrong?" Jin said feeling a little worried. His happy face being replaced with a frown. 

 

"Jin... It's just..." Amber takes a deep breath before continuing, "What are we?" 

 

Jin was about to say a joke, but he looks at Amber and realizes that she is serious. Not expecting this question, Jin was taken aback. He thought to himself too, What are we? He looks at Amber trying to find an answer. He knows he loves her. He knows she loves her too. But... he's not sure if they are in a relationship together. They have been always going with the flow. 

 

"Amber... I love you." Jin said, but he knows that is not enough. 

 

"Jin, I love you too. But isn't it always like that?" Jin continues to stare at Amber, not knowing where this conversation is going to. 

 

"I mean, we never bothered to stop to think and tell ourselves what are we. It's just... lately, I feel so confuse. I'm not sure if I have the right to feel this way." she says and looks away. 

 

Jin was silent. He was also having deep thoughts of his own. He too had felt that way but chose to ignore it. But now, everything is coming down to this point and he's not ready. And he only has one option to do and that is to be honest with what he feels for Amber. 

 

"Amber... I know what you're trying to say. I know we aren't in a relationship. But please don't feel wrong about loving me. You know I love you too, and for me that's right." 

 

 

 

Time was passing by them. Silence enveloping them. They arleady reach this far. What was their next step? No one dared to talk. Knowing whatever they say or do will reflect on their future. They were trying to straight things out. Finally, Amber chose to speak again. 

 

"I'm not sure I want to be in a relationship with you, right now. " She says with a pain in her heart. But it was the truth she was being honest with him. Jin too was hurt by what she said but he has to open his mind and listen to her and hope she'll hear him out when he has something to say later. 

 

"I mean I know I love you. I know and I believe that we are... meant to be." Amber says closing her eyes, trying to stop the tears from falling. "But I feel it's too early. I have felt what's it like to be on top. You guys, you have so much potential and... I just can't risk it because of me... because of us." And with that her tears finally showed. She didn't like to be vulnerable. But this was the man whom she loved. The man whom she has always been honest with. Feeling Jin's arms wrap her body, Amber cried more. She loves him too much and letting him go was hurting her too much as well. They stayed in that place, with Jin trying to soothe Amber's cries and just feeling her warmth against his. He has a feeling it would take him a long time before he finally feels her that way again. 

 

Breaking the hug, Jin lifts Amber's face. It was the most beautiful and precious view for him. If he was to ask he wouldn't let it go. But he has to wait. He has to be responsible. He has to sacrifice his personal happiness for the sake of his group. Wanting this night to be something he'll always remember, he looks at Amber as if asking for permission. Amber closes her eyes as a sign of yes, and that is when his lips finally meets with hers. It was their first kiss and it was bittersweet for the both of them. 

 

It was an act of love for one another. But an act of goodbye as well. And nothing hurted more than that for the two lovers. 

 

Breaking the kiss, Jin looks at Amber once again and a tear he tried to withhold finally let go. Amber wipe the tear away, and held her hand in his face for a moment before kissing him once more. Breaking the kiss, Amber puts her arms on Jin's shoulders and embraced him.

 

"I'm not asking you to stay. But can you please give us a chance?" Amber looked at Jin with confusion.

 

"Hear me out, please." Jin said. Amber was silent and Jin was starting to feel nervous. Amber looks at Jin and realize how she had expressed herself clearly in him but haven't heard him yet. With that, she flashed him a genuine smile.

 

"Alright, I'm listening." Jin smiled and continued. 

 

"If ever 3 years from now, you and I are single, I want you and me to be officially together." 

 

"Hm, let's see. You'll have to be really famous if you were to be my boyfriend." And for the first time since the topic of what-they-are, everything felt normal and they felt light. They laughed a bit before returning to the conversation. 

 

"I'm serious. 3 years from now, let's meet up here on this time. No, maybe earlier. I wouldn't want a lady to be alone at this hour." 

 

"But what if I'm not single, and would have someone to bring me?" Amber teased. Though it was still a possibility. 3 years is a long time, and a lot could happen. 

 

"Then he'll have to wait outside. Regardless if we are still single or not we still need to see each other and look forward to that day." He pauses a bit as he holds Amber's hands, "When that day comes, I'll wait for you exactly on this spot at 9 in the evening. And we'll be honest with each other like the way we are now." 

 

Amber smiled. "Okay, I accept." Jin let's go one of Amber's hand and stick his pinky finger in front of her. Looking at Jin, Amber raised an eyebrow. Knowing where this is heading, Amber smiles at Jin's antics. Silly, she thought.

 

"Hey a promise should be accompanied by this finger you know." Jin said as a matter of factly. 

 

"Alright then, Princess." Amber teases. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Present Day

 

"Bark! Bark!" Amber went out off trance hearing Jack Jack barking. "Hey, boy, you hungry?" She asks finally standing up from the couch. She stretched for a while before heading to the kitchen to get some dog food. She sat down to pour food on Jack Jack's dog dish. She pets Jack Jack's head and smiled lovingly. She sat on the floor with her back against the table, she takes her phone from her pants and looks at the date. 

 

"A week from now..." she mutters under her breath. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 week later...

 

"Mama's heading out. Be good both of you and don't be naughty to Auntie Ailee." Amber said to her children. She had asked Ailee to help her babysit the two while she was away. Knowing what's going to happen, Ailee agreed on the spot. She was cheering for her friend's happiness. 

 

"Bye Llama! Go get him this time." Ailee cheered her friend, even Jack Jack cheered by barking. 

 

"Whatever! Bye guys! See you later." Amber waved goodbye and closed the door. This was it. There is no turning back now. She was walking all by herself. She didn't have someone to take her. After all, she was single. She had a few dates but she ended up putting them on friend-zone. She was on the elevator. Looking at the time 5 minutes before 9 pm. Suddenly thoughts started to fill her mind. She was single. But what if he wasn't? What's going to happen? 

 

Amber sighed, she chose to sacrifice. She did it for him. She did not regret it. Especially with the success his group has experienced. She was happy. At least everything paid off. She smiled, whatever happens tonight, happens. She won't be able to change it, but she will have to live with it. 

 

2 minutes, she looks at her phone. She went off the elevator and walked straight to the spot. Wishing he was there, but also wishing he'll be late for a few minutes. Lost in her thoughts, she wasn't able to stop resulting her to bump into someone. Amber closed her eyes expecting to fall. 

 

"Hey... miss are you single?" The person said, which made Amber's eyes open wide. "Because I am." And with that, Amber cried. She was there... in front of him. So near him. She cried, she didn't know exactly the reason. She's feeling a lot of emotions at the same time. But one thing's for sure she didn't have to feel the pain anymore of being  apart with the person she loves. 

 

"Yes, sir. I am very much single." 

 

"I'm glad to hear that." Jin said and sealed their agreement from 3 years ago with a kiss. 

 

 

 

_ _ 

 

Hello it's me! This is the first chapter. Dedicated to everyone who requested for a Jin x Amber pairing. Hope you enjoyed this! Send me lots of love, thank you :) 

 

 

Gahh, honestly I feel quite happy completing this chapter. It took me the whole week to do so. I needed to understand a little bit about Jin so watched some videos and read stuff about him. He is really perfect for Amber! 

 

Total words (excluding Author's Note): 3696!

 

Check this out: (Love & Live Poll) 

https://www.asianfanfics.com/poll/aff_view/119899