Hideout

First Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Enough with your silly obsession," My mother yelled. "It's time to grow up and be a real person in society." I shrank as she almost hit me our of frustration. The tears welled up in my eyes as I maintained my defiant stance. My father stared at me coldly as he filled in my university application form for me. 

"With this," He gestured to the papers he was holding. I wanted to tear them up. "You will be useful. Do as we say." I bit back a retort and stormed into my room, slamming the door behind me. I buried my face into the sheets and sobbed as I felt my dream slowly inch further from me. The first time I touched the black and white keys, they felt so foreign to me, but they dragged me in like a drug. The melody I created was incomparable to any other project I worked on. The black and white keys, seemingly uninteresting and cold, could produce something that could warm others' hearts. I wanted to warm others', and most of all, I wanted to be warmed by the lullabies I could create with those keys. 

After a few weeks, I got my acceptance to Korea National University. Any normal kid around Seoul would probably jump for joy, crying and thinking damn, what a miracle. I aced all my exams, studied through the night, just to get some form of acknowledgement from my parents. It was all just to let them chase my dreams after chasing theirs for 20 years of my life. I guess it just wasn't enough. As they talked about loans and how I was supposed to work part-time to pay for my fees, I droned them out, filling my ears with an imaginary lullaby. I was thankful to my parents, really. They raised me, put food in my belly and they gave me shelter. I was grateful but sometimes it just felt like they were using me to fulfill the dreams they couldn't. 

--

"... and with that, we welcome you to Korea National University!" Applause. Another speech. Then came the introduction of the heads of department, so if we had any issues, we could go to them for help.

"We have Professor Lee for Science..." it began. The headmaster sure had a very boring voice. It was almost drug-like and I spied about five people completely asleep already. "... and lastly, Head of Music, Professor Min Yoongi." My ears perked up. They had

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter