The Light

EXO: The Beginning: The Light

“HYUNG I WANT TO PLAY.”

 

A small boy stomped his foot down, scowling at an older one, who lied on his bed, reading. The older one frowned at his little brother. He stood up and pointed at the ground. “Alright. I’ll play when you touch the light.” He bargained. The little boy looked down before agreeing. He was about to place his foot down when the light moved. “Huh…? Why did it…?” The little boy frowned as he kept trying to step on top of the light.

The little boy looked up to ask his brother something but saw instead his brother laughing silently. “Ahhh, Hyung!!!” the boy screeched, knowing it was all his brother’s doing. “Yah, yah! Taehyung I was just playing around!” the other one yelled back.

 

The older boy was Byun Baekhyun. He was a bit… Well… He was loud. Super loud. He spoke with a loud voice and massive gestures. He didn’t know what the word quiet was. SHOCKER. He also was the eldest son of two hard working parents. His mother was a sower at a clothing store while his father was a worker at the fields.

 

“This isn’t funny!!! You have gotten mean with those stupid powers!” Taehyung whined. Baekhyun scolded at him before knocking him upside the head. “Aish, what do you know? They’re awesome!” He argued. “No it isn’t! All you can do is make light move or create light! That’s boring!” his little brother yelled.

“Yah… YAH…. YAH!” Baekhyun rose his voice as he kept mentioning his younger brother to come closer so he could knock him upside the head. “No way! Hyung is just going to hit me again!” Taehyung said as he walked closer to the shadows. “Nooooo, no I won’t.” Baekhyun laughed, shaking his head, trying to get the little boy to trust him.

Taehyung looked at Baekhyun, with eyes of trust. He slowly moved closer. Oh how sad it was. Baekhyun quickly bended the light to his little brother, blinding him for a few seconds. “Ah HYUNG!” Taehyung screamed, rubbing his eyes. His older brother laughed, holding his stomach. “Omo! That was good! But I told you I wouldn’t do anything! Only the light did!”

The younger one stomped his foot, clearly upset. “I’m telling Mommy!” He threatened as he stormed out the room. Baekhyun gasped as he quickly got up, rushing out to his brother. “A-Ah, come on Taehyung! It’s just a joke! We don’t need to go this fa-“ he began comforting his little brother but froze immediately. He stood in front of the open door, which led outside. From where he was, he could see Taehyung hopping off the porch, turning to look at Baekhyun.

“Why aren’t you coming out?” his brother asked. Baekhyun stood, wordless. “Um… I… I just like it inside better.” He finally said, crossing his arms.

 

Truth was, Byun Baekhyun didn’t even know anything about the world outside his home. He was… the hidden one. He was an eleven-year-old, who had the power to bend light but stayed in his house in the 4th District of  Gnod - Gnuj, Aerok almost his whole life. It all started when his parents realized he had powers age of 4. But… instead of getting praise or shock from his parents, they hid him. Why? Because of what the other town villagers might think…

 

“Suit yourself,” Taehyung said, shrugging. Baekhyun reached out to him, but the younger one already left. He stood there in the dark quietly. “Just you watch. I’m going to upside you in the head and blind you at the same time.” Baekhyun grumbled as he walked back into his room.

He sighed as he lied back down on his bed. He picked up his book from before and began to read. What else was there to do? He couldn’t bully Taehyung since he gone off to- “HYUNG! WHY AREN’T YOU CHASING ME?!” So that was that little sh*t’s plan this whole time. Whoops.

 

Baekhyun looked up to see Taehyung stomping inside his room. “Yah! Is that why you went outside?!” he yelled, grabbing a pillow as if he would throw it. Taehyung nodded. “Yeah! I wanted to see if you’d actually follow me outside since you never do come out!” he defended himself.

There was silence for a moment. Baekhyun looked away, slightly embarrassed that his younger brother noticed. “Hyung… When will you come outside?” his little brother asked. Baekhyun looked up in surprise of the question.

 

When will he? When will he feel the summer breeze? Or the autumn smell? Hear the spring birds? Taste the winter snow? When?

 

“I don’t know, honestly…” the older one finally answered.

Doubt he would be out soon with his mom and dad as psychos. Both always freaked out whenever a guest comes over and shove him into a closet nearby or lock him in his room if he’s in there already. It was torture… He’d be in the house, being pale while his family is all a bit brown, who were out and about in the town. He looked like a ghost for Christ’s sake!

“So… you want to play?” Taehyung finally asked, hope in his eyes. Baekhyun flopped on his bed, before answering. “Nah, you kids do that better alone.” He answered as he scratched his bottom. “WHAT?! Hyung!!” he heard his little brother whine again.

Not able to take it any longer, Baekhyun sat up. “AISH THIS KID!” Baekhyun snapped to Taehyung’s appeasement. “What? What? What do you want? What do you want to play that you can’t wait for?” he asked, shaking his head and pointing at his brother once in a while. Taehyung thought for a bit before snapping his fingers. “I know!”

 

 

“You’re joking… Please tell me you’re joking.” Baekhyun pleaded as Taehyung put a metal bucket on. “No I’m not! Come on! Samurai’s don’t plead! Victims plead!” his baby brother replied. “I AM A VICTIM.” Baekhyun snapped, shooting daggers at the small one. “Be quiet! I got to give you your sword.“

“Why are we samurai’s? We’re Koreans- OW!!”

“Quit talking!!! It’s time to start!!!”

Each one settle down before the two faced each other. “So, I see you have come, Ichikio-“ “Ichigo!” “Ichigo.” Baekhyun corrected himself, while keeping a serious posture. “Toshiro… You know you don’t need to go through this! Just please! Come back to the Soul Society.” Taehyung cried, gripping the broom.

As the older one turned his back against his brother, he spoke. “I must not… It is my duty to find the person who framed Hyoramari-“ “Hyourinmaru!” “Hyourinmaru.” With a swish of his brown cape which was actually his blanket, Baekhyun held his mop stick. “Guard yourself Ichigo! “ He cried before striking his first attack. Quickly, Taehyung countered, clashing with his broom. “Getsuga… TENSHO!” He cried attacking Baekhyun at random places, leaving the poor older one confused. “Ow ow ow ow ow!”

It wasn’t looking too pretty for Baekhyun as his little brother kept using Getsuga Tensho or whatever. “That’s not fair you keep using that move! I don’t even know any of my moves!” he cried in defeat as he was cornered with Taehyung hovering above.

“You should have made up a move!”

“No way! Real samurai’s never did this kind of stuff!”

Yeah they did!”

As they argued, their mother and father entered the front door. “We’re home.” They announced. “Mommy! Daddy!” “Mom! Dad!” The two sons ran out to meet their tired parents. Before the adults could talk, the kids began to tell on each other.

“Hyung is being a sore loser!”

“What?! That’s bull! Taehyung was being unfair!”

“You were crying because I beat you!”
 

“You want to go again?”
 

“Gladly!”

 

“Enough!”

As quick as it started, it ended. The two sons looked at their mother who was murmuring something under her breath. “I’m sorry, but today was a long day. Please don’t argue.” She excused herself, before walking out the room.

The arguing brothers looked at their father who cleared his throat. “Work is killing your mother. Let her rest.” He assured, ruffling Taehyung’s hair was he left.

Baekhyun watched as they left and turned to look at Taehyung who looked back up at him. “So now what?” His little brother asked. Baekhyun thought for a bit. “I don’t know. I guess just go to our rooms and wait for dinner.” He suggested, with a little shrug. “But I want to keep playing with-“”No way.”

 

 

Dinner was never announced. Waiting for it was like waiting for the mean old lady who lived next door to die. Baekhyun punched his pillow, his eyebrow twitching. “Aish! I’m so hungry I might even eat Taehyung.” He muttered as he got up. “I could eat the left over bread that Tae brought after school.”

Opening his door, Baekhyun began his small journey down to the kitchen. “You must. Think about it. They assure that they can help Baek…” “No… I refuse. What if they can’t help Baekhyun? We’ll be risking a lot.” His parent’s voices. They were talking about him as they used his name twice. But who were they talking about to help him?

“Mister Ray assured they can. They already have 5 other boys they’re helping!” His father reasoned desperation sprinkled in his tone. “5 others? That does seem… convincing… “ his mother whispered. Baekhyun stood in his place as he listened to their discussion. He couldn’t believe his ears. “Then it’s settled… I’ll give them a call right now.” His father finally said, with the sound of his feet making way to the telephone.

Quickly, the small intruder made his way up to his room as soon as he realized he was in deep crap with the telephone next to him. He quickly and quietly closed his door, breathing hard. ‘It can’t be… Mom and Dad… They… What?’ he thought, running his hands through his hair. It didn’t seem right. What was his parents thinking? To send him away to some unknown person?

 

‘Run away… Before they catch you.’

 

Baekhyun snapped his head up, looking around. “Whose there?” he muttered, his eyes wide from the voice. He was about to shake the thought of someone talking to him from his mind when it came again. ‘Run away… before they catch you… They’ll hurt you… Run.. Run!” a small voice weeped.

It was a child. Or it sounded like one. This time Baekhyun snapped towards the direction of it. It was coming from his window. Frowning, he walked over to see a small flower outside. ‘It’s just a flower.’ He thought as he was about to turn back. ‘Please… L-Listen to me!’ The voice cried. It definitely was closer this time.

Confused, he finally turned to see a small glow from the flower. Small weeps came to sound. “A-Are you talking to me, flower?” he asked, feeling mighty stupid. The flower seemed to have moved. “Y-Yes! I-I am! “ the voice cried. “Woah woah woah. I’m going crazy. Yep. That’s enough sweets for me.” Baekhyun muttered, staggering a bit.

“P-Please, listen to my words!” the flower wept, leaning towards Baekhyun. “How?! How can I?! You’re a flower!” he argued, in disbelief, he was even having this conversation. “P-Please… Pluck me out and I’ll show you everything. But be warned I’ll only have a few seconds before I die… “

Baekhyun stood quietly inside. “I… You’ll show me everything?” he questioned, changing his previous statement. The flower nodded. “Yes.” It whispered.

It took everything in Baekhyun to move from his spot. He touched the window for the first time in years. ‘I can’t believe I’m doing this…’ his thoughts muttered as he pulled up the window. He looked down at the flower before tugging it out. “Now what were you-“ he started before being pulled into some kind of vision.

 

“Do you think this is something to slack off?”

Baekhyun turned around to see a man glaring at a small boy. The boy looked so young and innocent, it gave a guilt feeling. “Do you think you need to see who comes? Do you not know this process yet?!” the man began yelling. “What the heck?!” Baekhyun growled stepping towards the scene. ‘You won’t be able to do anything…’ the same voice whispered. He pursed his lips as he watched the boy gripped his gown, trembling.

“Why can’t you get in through that damn mind of yours?” the man cursed, poking at the child’s head harshly. He reached his back pocket and pulled out a long skinny black stick. ‘What’s that- A whip…’ Baekhyun’s thoughts snapped, balling his fists. He knew now what the man was going to do.

“Guard!” the man yelled. Baekhyun watched as another man in all black, came over in salute. He watched the 1st man roughly grabbed him by the shoulder and bringing him down to his mouth level. The guard looked down and grabbed the whip. ‘‘No…” Baekhyun whispered as the first man grabbed his glasses, rubbing his eyes. “Don’t!” he yelled.

The guard now faced the little boy looked up, innocently. “Ge-ge, what’s the matter?” he asked, softly. The guard seemed to hesitate but came closer. “G-Ge-ge?” the child whispered, now terrified. “I’m so sorry.” Was all that was said from the guard as he began to whip small kid with the whip. “NO! LEAVE HIM ALONE!!!” Baekhyun shouted, running to the boy’s rescue.

Just as he was a few feet away, he was in the dark. “W-where’d they go?” he muttered. “That is just a memory of mine… Sadly.” The voice whispered. “Y-you were the kid?!” Baekhyun exclaimed in shock. The voice stayed quiet before answering. “Yes… You must never come here. We must never meet. Please… Run away from Mister…” “Who's Mister?” he asked, trying to understand.

Just as the flower was about to answer, Baekhyun was back in his room. He frowned and looked down at the flower to see it all shriveled up. “No, no, no! Kid! Kid!” He struggled out to say. Who was Mister? All he know was his face but his name? Nada. He sighed, running his fingers through his hair. “Looks matter more than name… Right?” he asked to himself.

Baekhyun looked over to his little small satchel his grandmother gave him. “Hm….” Just in that moment, his little lightbulb was shining brightly. An idea.

 

“This is crazy. What if that boy- Nah… After that? No way.” Baekhyun stuffed in some clothes and some books. He was doing what the little kid said. Runaway. But where? Would he be some lone ranger like in those foreign books he read about? Or would he just be a traveler? He was definitely down with anything that didn’t have him get whipped.

“Hyung… What are you doing?”

At the sound of a small voice, the boy jumped. He turned to meet eyes with those of an angel- Tae. “A-Ah… Tae… Hyung is… Hyung is getting ready for bed! So tired you kno-“


“Hyung where are you going? I’m not that dumb…”

Baekhyun flinched at his little brother’s response. He knew damn well that Taehyung wouldn’t fall for that. He sighed as he went over to his little brother. “I.. I need to go.” He answered. Taehyung’s furry eyebrows knitted together. “Where? I want to go-“”NO!”

Taehyung flinched at the sound of his older brother’s voice. He stared into his eyes, looking for an answer to his small complex question. Why?

“I-It’s complicated. I… Tae…,” a sigh, “Remember about my powers?” Baekhyun finally spilled. Taehyung nodded, unsure of the point. He tried to make eye contact with his older brother but Baekhyun would lower his head.

“S-Some men are coming to get me tomorrow.” Baekhyun blurted. It was at that moment when he knew he had to say everything. Why he was in the house when he found out about the powers, and what happened… “When I was just 4, Mom and Dad discovered I had powers. To keep me ‘safe’ from the other town villagers, they locked me up in here. That’s also why I never show up when the neighbors or other friends come over. The only sunlight I get is from this stupid window.” He muttered, revealing the open window. “I never opened it until I plucked this flower that began to talk to-“He stopped to see Taehyung’s raised eyebrows. “Anyways… I went downstairs because Mom never called for dinner. I was hungry and was going to eat something I could snag up. But… Mom and Dad were talking about this man… Mister Ray taking me… I don’t know.. But then the flower I talked about earlier told me that I need to run away. Tae,” Baekhyun took a breather, holding his brother, “I saw what this young boy went through… These people Mom and Dad were willing to send me… They’re not good.”

Taehyung stood there in shock. He stared at his brother, unsure what to say. “Hyung… I-“ “I know! It’s hard to believe. But-“”I’ll get you some bread and fruit. “ Baekhyun tensed up at that. He looked at his younger brother who smiled. “I don’t want bad people to hurt my brother… But please… promise we’ll see each other again?” Taehyung asked, raising his pinkie. Baekhyun smiled sadly. He willingly wrapped his pinkie to his brother’s.

“I promise.”

 

 

“Please come back, Hyung.” Taehyung whispered as he hugged his older brother tightly. They were at the front door, with Baekhyun in new cleaner clothes. Baekhyun held his brother’s head closer, nodding. “Of course… I don’t want to forget my baby brother.” He chuckled. He let Taehyung go with a small smile. He looked at the handle of the door before him.

Was he actually going to do it?

Actually go out? There was always backing out… But… Taehyung was… No. He had to.

With more confidence, Baekhyun grabbed the handle door, opening it wide open. Out, he could see the night and hear the sounds of crickets. This was actually happening. He was going to see the outside world like he used to years ago.

A step was all he had to take to be running from the house. He panted as he ran, not bothering to turn to see Taehyung looking out, waving. It was a step that changed his life. He couldn’t have been more free. He was finally outside and had escaped a fate that would be far worse.

It was all because of a step that he no longer was hidden. Baekhyun grinned the brightest grin as he ran through the town. No body was up nor were animals. If only it was daytime, would the town be bursting with energy.

The boy settled himself down as he began to walk. He coughed a bit, a bit out of breath. It was just a while since he actually ran a distance. 7 years to be accurate. ‘Hey you need to- Oh you’re already out!’ a voice chirped in his mind.

“WOAH WOAH WOAH! WHAT IS THIS?!” Baekhyun yelled, freaked out about a voice in his mind. “Shut up!! You’ll wake the whole town with that voice of yours!!” The voice hissed. It wasn’t the same as the flower boy but it did seem friendly. SEEM.

 

“Hey hey hey! I just ranaway from my home! Wouldn’t you be a bit freaked out when you barely came out for 7 years with a voice in your head greeting you?!” The frightened boy defended himself. It was the bes-

‘Well, Mister Hidden. Wouldn’t you be freaked out when you were just playing hide n seek with some kids when their voices started wrapping around your mind? Wouldn’t you be freaked out to hear voices out of no where in your room of a young boy being-‘ “OKAY OKAY! I GET IT!” Baekhyun snapped, now humiliated by this boy. He slowly began to walk again, trying to hurry out.

‘I’m Luhan! Nice to meet ya!” The voice finally introduced himself. “I guess it’s nice to meet you. I’m Baekhyun.” He finally answered back.

“So… Why’d you runaway? I mean it’s good but I thought I would have to-“ “Because a flower told me so.” Baekhyun intruded Luhan’s talking. There was silence.

“A flower?”

“HEY I KNOW IT SEEMED DUMB BUT IT SHOWED ME A LOT OF REASONS TO RUN AWAY!”

“Wait wait wait… Show you?”

Baekhyun blinked, a bit taken back from Luhan’s tone. It seemed a bit uneasy. He nodded, not that Luhan would see or not. “Yeah. He showed me a past memory of his. He was-“ “Being beaten by that bastard.”

A cold chill ran down Baekhyun’s spine. “How did you-“ “He showed me too… He was the one who was a part of the voices I first got…” Luhan explained, his voice now seem dry.

There was silence between the two boys, now that they realize this boy was a connection between the two. “Have you ever met him?” Baekhyun asked a bit nervous. He didn’t know anything about the boy, but he sure as hell worried. After seeing those cuts rip into his soft looking skin, who wouldn’t be worried?

“I haven’t. When I came here, I tried to find out where he was but they said he was transferred to ‘The Middle’. So he was there. Baekhyun stayed quiet for a bit before responding. “Oh… “ He slightly bit his lip as he walked. There was nothing said between them. Well until Luhan spoke again.
 

“I heard from the scientists that he’s a link to each of us.”

 

Baekhyun frowned a bit before questioning, “Us?” There were more? That was a new one. Maybe he wasn’t the only one after all.

“Of course you’re not the only one. I heard there were 12 of us in total. “

“Woah! How did you-“

 

“I can read minds… How else am I talking in your mind?”

 

“Hey about that, why are you talking to me still?! Why did you even find my mind or whatever you did to talk to me?!” the frowning boy demanded.
 

 

Slience filled in the time for a bit before Luhan responded. “I came to warn you. I got a vision of each of us being tested and hurt. I want to prevent that. So I found out everyone’s name before going t-“ “Wait wait wait. If you found out ‘the others’ names, what the kids name?” Baekhyun cut in, still curious about the flower.

Luhan sighed before speaking. “His… I couldn’t find. All I know is he is #5.” Well… at least it was something.

“Which reminds me! You need to go to Mirror Lake, pronto!”

Stopping, as if he could see him, Baekhyun scolded. “Why should I?! I don’t even know where-“ “It’s just past those trees and maybe a mile walk!” Luhan quickly interjected.

Well, now he knows. “Why should I though? I need to get far away from this place so I’m heading North.“ the stubborn boy grumbled. “Because someone is waiting for you.”

This was attention grabbing. Full on ears, Baekhyun cleared his throat. “Oh? Who?” he asked. “His name is Jongdae. Like you, he ran away from home. He’s also one of us.” Luhan answered with no hesitation. “So he has powers?”

He might as well as throw Luhan a testbook, because as he walked the way to Mirror Lake, he began questioning the mind boy.

 

 

 

 

 

“So he’s the same age as me and has powers of Thunder?! Sweet!” Baekhyun exclaimed as he pushed past some bushes. He could hear the other boy grumble something in some other language. “What did you say?” he asked. Luhan shook his head. “I’m speaking the Anihc language, my native language. And I said ‘This kid is so stupid.’ “ he responded.

“Oh cool- WAIT! WHAT?! I THOU-“

“Whose there?!”

 

As quick as you can say ‘duck’, Baekhyun fell on the ground. He widen his eyes as he heard some footsteps make their way towards his spot. “Who’s out the- Oh Luhan… Where did you go? I was lonely for the past hour and ten minutes! Who? Baekhyun?”

Right when his name was called, Baekhyun’s head popped out to see a boy looking right at him. “What? What do you want?” He snapped, squinting his eyes. The boy blinked a bit before whispering something. He quickly smiled wide before walking over.

 

“Hiya! I’m Jongdae!” the boy waved.

 

It was the boy that Luhan said he would meet. Baekhyun grinned wide before walking out. “Ahhh, so you’re thunder boy. Luhan told me so much about you!” “Because you kept asking about him.” Luhan muttered. “Shut up, Luhan!”

Jongdae laughed loudly. “It’s okay! You must be Light man! Luhan also talked about you!” He smiled brightly before dropping to an embarrassed face. “Shut up, Luhan!”

This just made Baekhyun grin. The two might just get along just fine. He was about to say something when Luhan spoke up.

“Finally! I did it! I connected you to you both at the same time!”

 

The two boys looked at each other blinking. “Did you hear him?” Jongdae asked first before Baekhyun could. He nodded with a grin. “I’m guessing you also?” He asked. Jongdae nodded with a thumbs up.

 

“Alright, alright. Time to get to business. You both need to start running. The scientists already found out Jongdae is on the move. But they still are coming to Baekhyun’s house which isn’t that far.” Luhan explained. “Once they found out Baekhyun is gone, they’ll surely look for you both. So you both need to go into hiding. At least for a year or maybe even more.”

 

A year or more? This must have been more serious because the two boys both gave each other nervous glances. “I’m guessing this is really serious…” Jongdae whispered, looking down. Baekhyun could only nod in agreement.

What was it that would stop these guys? Why did they even-

 

“I need to go. Both of you… Please be safe. Don’t trust anybody. I mean anybody. Everyone around you could be a worker or spy for them. Please be safe.” Luhan quickly said before leaving the two to themselves.

The two eleven year olds shared a glance before looking at the forest that awaited them. “I’m guessing we both start running.” Jongdae smiled nervously, nodding his head in the direction. Baekhyun nodded with a nervous laugh. “Yeah! I guess so!”

 

It couldn’t have been more awkward.

 


Both stayed silent as they walked through the forest. Baekhyun constantly looked over at Jongdae who kept his gaze forward. He bit his lip, trying to gain courage to start a conversation. “So… How’d you meet Luhan?” He asked.

Jongdae jumped a bit, possibly started by his question. “Oh… He convinced me to run from my home.” He answered, smiling a cat like smile.

Silence again. “How was your family? Were they nice?” Baekhyun threw in a question. He never talked to anyone besides Taehyung and his parents. So he couldn’t help but ask personal questions.

“O-Oh… My family… They… Hated me.”

His eyes quickly looked over to his new walking partner. He never knew that a family could ever hate their own blood. He would question more but he worried that Jongdae would possibly get upset. He looked down again. What an idiot he was. He should’ve just asked what his favorite color was.

“What about yours?”

Caught off guard, Baekhyun stammered. “My family? Oh, they were nice! My little brother would always bug me to play with him. My parents were always gone from the house to work. So I watched my little brother every day.” He quickly recovered, flashing a grin. He could see Jongdae look a bit puzzled.

“Didn’t you go to school or hang out with friends?” He questioned.

The question itself was like a knife at Baekhyun’s side. He cleared his thoart before quietly answering. “I didn’t have friends… My parents didn’t want anybody to find me out so they kept me in my house.”

Right away, he could feel Jongdae’s guilt. “I’m so sorr-“ “Don’t be sorry. You asked so I answered. “ He quickly cut off the other. He smiled, assuring the other he was fine. ‘It’s not like I would be held there for the rest of my life.’ He thought to himself.

After that, it was quiet again. “Hey, have you ever met Luhan?” Baekhyun asked. He looked to see Jongdae shake his head. “No, only heard his voice. You?” the other asked. “I wouldn’t have asked if I did.” Baekhyung laughed as he saw Jongdae’s embarrassed face.

“O-Oh right.”
 

“I bet he’s fat. Oh! With a unibrow at that!” Baekhyun quickly said, widening his eyes as he imagined the boy. Jongdae laughed, before adding onto the fun. “What if he has buck teeth with freckles?” “Oh! With a tail too!”

The two boy laughed as they slowly opened up to each other. Before they were awkward but now it was as if both known each other for so long when in reality was probably just an hour or two. If they ever got the chance to meet Luhan… Thanks would be the words to say.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I’m so tired!!” Baekhyun complained as his legs ached. It was two weeks since he ran from home. So far, Jongdae and him were now maybe 200 miles away from his old town. Within those two weeks, the boys were quick to become brothers.

 

“Oh be quiet! We just had a break a while ago!” Jongdae scolded. He flinched when Baekhyun rose his fist. “What you say?! Yah, who do you think you’re messing with kid?!” Baekhyun grumbled. This caused Jongdae to turn to look at him. “What?! You’re only three or four months older! Who are you calling kid?!” he argued, galring at the older one.

Baekhyun looked for words before speaking up. “So?! I can still call you kid!” He defended himself. He could see the younger boy laugh. “Call me kid? Please. I act more adult then you.” he heard the other argue. He squinted his eyes at the other before opening his mouth.

 

Nothing.

 

“I thought so.” Jongdae smirked. This kid wasn’t the little quiet, barely recent kid he met. He was the devil’s baby. Maybe that’s why his looks were so cat-like.


With a small swish of his hair, Baekhyun gathered more confidence. “Well, at least I can get us some food.” He fought. A heated gaze fell upon him. “If you mean something besides berries and fruits, then I agree.” He heard the other boy say.caught them a fish or anything. Oh this kid was one piece of work. He turned to see Jongdae smirking. Oh he knew, what he was saying. He knew Baekhyun never did. Just as he was about to strike back, Luhan’s voice came up. “Guys, guys!” he screamed.

 

The voice was so high pitched that both boys covered their ears. “OW!!! Give us a warning will you?!” Baekhyun yelled with Jongdae in the background agreeing. “It’s no time for warning!! They’re onto you!” Luhan yelled.

Just as the words sunk in, the boy looked at each other horrorified. “What?” “But, we didn’t talk to anyone or-“ “You both must’ve left some sort of trail or something. I overheard them talking about a unit already heading to Sunlight Forest to capture you.” Both boys gulped loudly. Baekhyun could feel a cold chill run down his spine. It was a worse feeling than he had back at home when he found out his family back stabbed him. His whole body shivered, his fists tight into balls with his teeth gritted.
 

“We need to run now.” Jongdae said, snapping Baekhyun out of thought. The older one couldn’t have agreed more. He ran as fast as he could with Jongdae up front. The forest that was once beautiful, calming and relaxing was quick to become threatening, ominous, and never wrecking. Cold sweat slid down his neck as he softly panted. A soft prick came at the back of Baekhyun’s shoulder. He winced as he rubbed his shoulder. Maybe it was just the branches. They were stinging his face, being skinny and soild. He’ll be fine… But he knew he was wrong by the next second.

Everything became blurry. His vision fogged up, despite the angle or side he looked at. His hearing became muffled and slow to register. He could feel as if he, himself, was becoming slow. It was like he was running in water. Slow and blurry.

“Hey! Baekhyun! What’s wrong?”

Jongdae’s voice came up as he could faintly see his friend turn to look at him. He stood still as he tried to focus on his friend who was now beside him. “Baek! Baek!” Jongdae shook him, his own face looking as blurred as everything else.

 

‘I’m fine’. ‘I’m just tired.’ That was what he wanted to say. But even the words couldn’t come through his mouth. He felt himself fall on the ground, everything becoming dark with Jongdae’s voice in the background yelling at someone. Gun shots were faint but he could still hear them… He was the hidden one….