BangBangBang - Myungyeol

Resonant Melody

Song: Bang Bang Bang by U-KISS

Kpop or Jpop: Kpop

Ship: Myungyeol

Type of AU/Universe: Universe in which North and South Korea are at war with one another (let's hope that never actually happens)

Rated?: I wouldn't consider this rated material; it has just some curses here and there and some mentions at death/wounds, but nothing too graphic or awful

Idea: Another song that came on shuffle when I decided to write, just like the last one. But this one has NOTHING to do with the song lol I don't actually know the lyrics, and the feel of it doesn't match this lol I just got the idea of writing one of the ships at war based solely on the title. And as for deciding on Myungyeol, it was a mix of remembering how Yeol wanted so much to be chosen as a capable leader on an ep of This Is Infinite (which is where the hero complex came from) + thinking that making myungsoo a medic just fit him really well? does this even make sense? lol well, nevertheless, i actually think this turned out better than my last drabble... would anyone agree? or not really?

Happy Easter guys! ❤ Feedback please?


 

Sungyeol regretted it. He regretted every single decision he had made up to that point. As bullets flew through the air – threatening to snap his head open and make all his thoughts stop by the lack of a ing brain between his shoulders –, he ran for dear life. No one said war was easy, right?

He had always wanted to be a hero. When he used to play pretend with his friends, back in his old neighborhood, Sungyeol would either through a tantrum or start spitting arguments about why he was taller than everybody else, and he had this cool horse toy and this one airsoft gun and many other things that made him a much more qualified hero for their game than anybody else. Also, Sungyeol was really stubborn. Like, ridiculously so. In the end, he always ended up as the dashing prince saving the princess or the hero saving his fellow comrades, and he loved it.

So when he turned eighteen and his friend Howon said he was enlisting in the army early to chase these north korean s out of here, he thought about doing it as well, purely out of impulse for always being everyone's saving grace while playing. But he hesitated – it wasn't play time anymore. This was the real deal. However, it didn't take him even two days to make his decision, when he saw the horrified look on his younger brother Daeyeol’s face once he saw the first mutilated soldier coming back home to their neighborhood. He had to go. This was his chance to be a true hero, to finally stand for all the right morals he held true to his heart and to actually make a difference and help protect his country, his family.

Yea right. All those morals are really helping right now. He thought while ducking into the thick forest right ahead of him. Finally, safety – or as safe as you could get in the middle of a battlefield, really.

He quickly checked his gun. He still had half his ammunition. Sighing in relief, he turned around, looking for any signs of his unit’s soldiers. They should be right behind my-
His eyes fell to two figures on the ground. One of them mouthed frantically at him: SUNGYEOL! HELP!

.

It was Myungsoo, his unit’s medic, laying down on the dirt of the forest’s clearing, the fresh dead body of their sniper, Kikwang, sprawled on top of him.

Make it double , actually.

Sungyeol looked around frantically, trying to understand the situation fast. A troop of north korean soldiers was coming from the north of the clearing, pursuing the two south korean convoy units that had been ambushed by them a little bit farther back in the woods. He saw most of the enemy soldier to his far right, where they were hot on the trail of Sunggyu’s unit. He looked back.
Myungsoo was slowly – but desperately – crawling from beneath their dead friend’s body as three north koreans got closer and closer to his position. It seemed like they hadn’t noticed the very much alive Myungsoo beneath the fresh corpse yet. Probably thought their bullets got both of Sungyeol’s friends.

He glanced at the unit to his right again, shooting from their current positions in the trees, trying to keep the enemies at bay. Sungyeol started pondering his next move. His unit and Sunggyu’s were the only ones on this side of the forest at the moment. Most of his unit had already fallen sometime before, trying to shield the other unit from the north korean ambush they suffered earlier – Sunggyu’s unit was an elite one after all, while his was just a support one.

Well, his options at the moment were:

1) He could go back the same way he came from and try to shoot the three soldiers approaching the medic. Pros: saving Myungsoo; maybe killing the three ers that killed Kikwang (and god knows how many others); Cons: High chance of getting killed while shooting three people at the same time and attracting attention from other enemies, who were currently fighting Sunggyu; having to take Myungsoo from under his friend’s corpse; not adding one more soldier (himself) on Sunggyu’s side of the fight and probably making out of there alive.

2) Run to the right and take out some of the enemies concentrating only on Sunggyu’s group. Pros: Helping the unit that had the best chance of getting out of that hole alive (they still had ten men after all); helping his childhood friend Howon (who was put in the elite unit) and make sure he survived, so both could return home;  Cons: Leaving Myungsoo to die.

His eyes went back to Myungsoo, now with his back pressed on the ground and his pistol set firm between his hands, the barrel just beneath Kikwang’s armpit and ready to fire at the enemy soldier coming close to check the bodies before (probably) going after Sungyeol.

He held his breath. This was it – he had half a second to make a decision before the chance to actually choose his next actions would fly out the window. He remembered all the little stupid jokes he shared with Howon, his heartfelt conversations with Sunggyu, and how Myungsoo would smile at him every time Sungyeol got injured at training camp and would offer himself to clean the taller's wounds, dimples showing while he disinfected Sungyeol's cuts and bruises with warm fingers.

I guess I don’t really have to worry about my brain being snapped outta my head. Apparently, I don’t have one.

And he sure didn’t, because in that precious half second, Sungyeol chose option number one. A second later, he was up on his feet and running towards the fallen Myungsoo, who had just shot the soldier that had been moving Kikwang’s body right in the eye.
Wasn’t he supposed to be a hero? Well, heroes tend to save the love of their lives, and so was he. Sunggyu and Howon could take care of their asses just fine. Meanwhile, the source of his (wet) dreams since he joined the army was a breath away from joying the rest of their unit in heaven, and he just couldn’t let it happen. He wouldn’t.

As the other two north koreans pointed their guns at Kikwang’s body, Sungyeol ran as fast as his lanky legs would let him (which was a lot, thank god), his finger already smashing his assault rifles’ trigger.
Shots snapped the air around him. One of the soldiers fell lifeless onto the ground. The other kept firing into the sniper’s corpse as a muffled scream filled the air. A scream too familiar to Sungyeol’s ear. Sungyeol’s rifle shot the other soldier somewhere between his neck and his stomach. Sungyeol wasn’t too sure, since he was now crouching and frantically throwing Kikwang’s corpse aside, trying to get to Myungsoo as fast as possible.

And when he looked at the medic, all he saw was a red sea spreading in front of him. The screaming continued.

“Myung, shut up! I’m here!” Sungyeol said in a rushed low whisper, clasping his hand over Myungsoo’s mouth. They couldn't afford to attract more attention now. The younger seemed to go back to his senses a bit, biting Sungyeol’s inner palm to keep himself quiet. Myungsoo looked right inside Sungyeol's eyes in that moment, while desperately pointing to his own lower abdomen.

“! Why does it always have to be the medic?!” Sungyeol complained, pressing his other hand on the shot wound in Myungsoo’s lower region. His head snapped back to the right side of the clearing, taking in the current situation: at least fifteen enemy soldiers were pursuing Sunggyu’s (now) nine-member unit deeply into the forest, apparently not noticing the commotion that happened on Sungyeol’s side. He looked to the his left – no one there besides the bodies of his own unit and north korean soldiers laid around, dead and gone. To the left it was.

He crouched as low as his legs allowed and started to drag Myungsoo’s body through the ground with both of his hands. To his relief, the other man was now more collected, deeply biting into his bottom lip to prevent anymore screaming as his hands tried to start some medical emergency procedures on his own bleeding flesh. If they weren’t in this predicament (with corpses surrounding them, loud bang bang bang noises still too close for comfort and the medic bleeding to death), Sungyeol would say Myungsoo looked honestly hot.

As he kept distancing both of them from the battle, praying to every god he knew that they wouldn’t be found too fast, Myungsoo looked up at him. Sungyeol stared back.

“Thanks, hero. I’ll pay you back someday.” He smiled, his eyes losing a little bit of their sparkle as blood kept spreading through his uniform.

“Don’t you dare throw this death flag on me. This is not a movie, you bastard. I’m definitely collecting this payment once we go back home, so patch that up quick.”

Myungsoo could only smile faintly at that, closing his eyes as his body was dragged by the strong, frantic and a little clumsy pair of hands he liked the most.