VI

Protect You

"Are you telling me you want me to pay you for sleeping with Jaehwan?"

If Taekwoon is shocked, it's not at all visible on his face, though his voice cracks in the middle of his question, his hands safely tucked into the pockets of his trousers, fisted into the material.

"That's not what I meant," Wonshik replies, scratching the back of his head awkwardly. "I'm just saying that he can sleep when I'm next to him. Otherwise he's insomniac."

"Okay, let's turn this around again," Taekwoon furrows his brow. "You want me to have two of my best men around the same person at night, one of them 'guarding' him in his bed. Is that it?"

"I'm just saying that someone should watch the door while I'm— I'm— Taekwoon, he can't sleep."

The last words come out as a plea, Wonshik almost begging Taekwoon to understand what he's saying, even if he knows how crazy the whole idea is.

"You are a bodyguard, Wonshik, not a ing therapy animal." Taekwoon now grits his teeth, flipping his fringe out of his eyes in an irritable manner. "Neither are you a celebrity, and I'm not going to make Sanghyuk protect your sleep. You're changing clients."

"Fine," Wonshik says. "Fine, but I want the nights off."

"That depends on the client, Wonshik."

"Then I just won't show up to my night shifts. You can't let one of your best men neglect his job, now can you?"

The tensions grows big enough for Wonshik to flinch when Taekwoon takes half a step forward, his piercing gaze feeling like he's mentally tearing Wonshik to pieces.

"Get out of here," he whispers in a voice that's as cold as his peppermint gum smells, and Wonshik presses his lips together lest he starts laughing and Taekwoon most literally bites his head off for it.

"What did he say?" Jaehwan asks outside of the building, tugging at the sleeves of his oversized hoodie, his lips blood red from worrying it between his teeth. Behind him Hakyeon is pretending to be immersed in his phone, facing away from them.

"I'm changing clients," Wonshik says, rolling up one of Jaehwan's sleeves to his wrist so he can lace their fingers.

"What?" Jaehwan gasps. "So you're— you're not going to be with me anymore?"

"I've got most nights off," Wonshik says, kissing the tip of Jaehwan's nose. "Or, at least, I'm taking most nights off. He's going to lower my salary, though."

"I'm sorry," Jaehwan replies, pouting.

"As long as you can sleep well, I'll be fine," Wonshik smiles and Jaehwan ruffles his hair.

Hakyeon snorts, scrolling through his phone.

"Your boyfriend is a ing billionaire, of course you’ll be fine."

"Yeah, that, too," Wonshik laughs and Jaehwan's hand goes from the top of his head to the back of it, smacking it gently.

Wonshik kisses him on the mouth for it, Jaehwan smiling against his lips, and Wonshik can breathe again.

Jaehwan is his first love.